Today on CNN Newsroom

August 24th, 2009

Could public knowledge of abuse inside CIA secret prisons lead to increased danger for US troops in war zones?

A new government report says CIA interrogators used an electric drill and a gun to scare an Al Qaeda prisoner into talking.

The New York Times is reporting that the Justice Department wants nearly a dozen abuse cases reopened.

That move would reverse the policy of the Bush Administration, and could lead to criminal charges against CIA employees and contractors.

What we want to know is whether or not you think the information could also lead to danger for US troops fighting in war zones?

Post your comments below.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Rob in FL

Heidi..I believe this certainly will NOT help our troops, airing the dirty laundry of the Bush administration. This puts our country in a quandary between exposing the truth, and national security. If the boss instructs you to do something they claim is legal, you do it, and then its later determined to be illegal; who is to blame?...you or the BOSS? Can we really go after the people who performed their job as instructed, or do we go after the real culprits...the INSTRUCTOR? Should a former president be brought to trial for this? I really don't think this helps our country, no matter how it goes. The best we can do is learn from the past, change the laws so that it never happens again, and move on. I agree with President Obama, we need to look to the future on this, unless we as a country are willing to bring to justice the right persons to account for this injustice....BUSH and CHENEY!

August 24, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  2. Teryl Bishop

OMG yes! This is just one more nail in the coffin of our Republic.

August 24, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  3. Kate

Yes. All my life I have believed "what goes around comes around" and unfortunately that is what may happen with this. We are a better people that that and we should start acting like it.

August 24, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  4. Joe

No, Its the lack of prosecution of the crimes committed by the CIA and others during the Bush administration is what will increase the danger to US troops.

August 24, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  5. Jordan Hale

Yes the troops will be in more danger. Al qaeda people will be FURIOUS!

August 24, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  6. William Cade

This is the worst thing I think our government can do. Releasing this type of information puts innocent lives at risk. If the American people do not allow our government to do their job, we WILL lose the freedoms we enjoy. Having just returned from a deployment in Iraq, I feel releasing this information will make our job harder.

August 24, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  7. Harry

Counter insurgency is a dirty undertaking and the enemy force, in this case, simply 'hates' everybody- Westerners, other Moslems, other factions within the terror structure and so forth without prejudice and it seems without much of a reason. No matter how captives of this ilk are handled there will be no change one way or another in terrorist tactics or aims. Even if they were to prevail against the West (most improbable) their next targets would be everyone else left and then lastly, most likely, what is left of themselves. Besides who believes that the repertoire of interrogation techniques is embodied in the dribs and drabs that have recently been reported on or that there is no role for the talents or experience of the interrogators?

August 24, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  8. George Hays

As a retired military officer it goes against all that I ever knew to be the rules of conduct, laws of land warfare and the Geneva Conventions I would have felt it necessary to report anything like that that I saw or became aware of while serving with ordinary troops but I think it may be justifiable for intelligence services to do those kind of things in this new age of terrorism but for crying out loud keep it in the closet. That's the job of these clandestine organizations, read clandestine. I love the press and believe in the fourth estate and I am a free speech first amendment aficionado, I think you guys need to use some restraint in your reporting and not be so tenacious in your reporting of these kind of things as well. It's a judgement call.

August 24, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  9. David

Good Morning Heidi,

Nice to see you again.

Yes, this information coming out will make more dangerous for US troops, but continuing the practice would endanger our forces even more.

August 24, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  10. michael armstrong sr.

It sounds to me that the C.I.A. cant keep a secret no more otherwise CNN would not have this knowledge our secret information has become public knowledge and thats dangerous.

August 24, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  11. heisenberg

What about the interrogation policies of the CIA through the puppets in:
    Chile
    Argentina
    Iran
    Nicaragua
    Iraq
    Israel
    etc etc
    Are you really so naive to believe that they have clean hands?
    Nobody is so stupid

August 24, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  12. George Hays

Addendum to above: The code of conduct , laws of land warfare and the Geneva convention are what we teach our troops as the way to behave in combat, handle prisoners etc obviously. Abu Gharib was a sad failure of leadership and possibly the most damaging kind of report that we could have seen. Water-boarding and torture reports are a sad addenda to that. I think it sheds a poor light on our conduct as a country and takes away our national pride at being more moral in our conduct than the bad guys we are fighting, however they decapitate and film the execution of their prisoners who happened to be non-combatants. If the authorities find this conduct on our part to be criminal then people should be prosecuted. We pride ourselves in the rule of law in our democracy. The treatment of our troops is definitely endangered by disregard for such laws but these extremists are not signatories to these treaties and have no regard for civilized conduct.

August 24, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  13. Vaughn Henry

Your continuing coverage about CIA "torture" seem to be sensationalizing the stories, and you're likely going to be giving AQI and Taliban extremists a reason for their groups to be more brutal, and that will affect our troops. Please tone it down. It's not as if threatening someone equates with actually carrying the action, and your breathless reporting seems overly prissy to me. If the news media are going to get all excited over a drill being turned on (and not used like AQI did in Iraq) and someone hearing a gunshot in another room (as opposed to actually shooting someone), that's just silly as compared to having someone's head hacked off, which we've seen happen numerous times, and how much did you report on Afghan fingers being amputated after voting? A little perspective would be helpful.

August 24, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  14. Rich H - Ohio

Yes there is a danger to our troops.. The bleeding hearts will put a stop to the info gathering and then our troops will be short on importand intel that could save them lives and casualties. Get the info any way you can and save our troops lives!

August 24, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  15. Michael A

The question itself is shameful! Morally/ethically challenged questioner. Every despot in the world uses national security or some vague threat as an excuse not to tell the truth about their crimes. Commit a war crime, then say it would be a threat to our troops if the people find out about it. Nice to know we've sunk to such a low level of expectations.

August 24, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  16. Jimmy

Heidi, I know this won't get posted. Any means necessary to get information from our enemies is fine with me. Torture secrets should not be released. They will do it to us and why not we do it to them? I am a retired service member and my family has served in military efforts as far back as 1812. Anything to bring our troops home is OK with me.

August 24, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  17. Barbara Ramsey

I feel that we are putting our ability to interrogate at risk by telling all the world that we won't be permitted to do anything that would scare them into cooperating and thus the interrogation is just a sham. Where does this end?

August 24, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  18. david colon

What have American become? a land of wimps. I can see this special unit reading miranda rights to these killers that hate us because its God's Will to do so. I can see them begging the terrorist to please answer our questions so we can punish the bad Americans who tortured you. STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!

August 24, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  19. James

Dissent Is Good

A safe place to come and disagree.

Discuss issues including the overwhelming double standards from political parties and officials, the media/press, and the general irrationality that seems to be sweeping the nation.

Reasonable questions of authority are a good thing.
    The only way we can prevent future mistakes is to start by acknowledging the ones we've already made.

August 24, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  20. sylvia busey

WHAT IT DOES SAY IS EVERYONE WILL KNOW FOR SURE NOW THAT DICK CHANEY IS A CRIMINAL.

August 24, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  21. Linda

It wouldn't surprise me if it does, but when the CIA is doing these things they can only expect to get the same treatment back. Who do they think they are that laws and human right apply to others but not to them.

August 24, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  22. Jeannie Freund

YES!!!!! This is a big mistake for the future of America.

August 24, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  23. Jean

I hope this does not go any further – it looks like releasing the CIA tapes only comes up when the power that be wants to divert us from what is really important – stopping the passing of government controlled healthcare. The Gates comment was so obviously used to divert the media for a short time and this is the latest way to not have you talking about how the seniors and others do not want this healthcare to pass. Somehoe this has to be stopped.

August 24, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  24. Charles Kopack

The excuse of "I was just following orders" can no longer apply. The CIA did things, regardless of excuse, that is clearly a human rights violation. If this country does not own up to what it did, it sends a message to the world of "do as I say, not as I do".

To bring the argument that release of this information will endanger the troops, may happen. But, what does it say about this country when the CIA's behavior is swept under the rug?

August 24, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  25. Don D Brock

I Do not believe it is ever okay to lower our standards to any other persons or nations standards. If we are asked to do something that is morally wrong or illegal military people have two options one say they cannot do it or two say you are doing it under objection and make sure you file it with the proper people. This may not keep you from persecution but may help in legal battles and allow a person to sleep at nights.
    Chenney has low standards and I am ashamed that America did not impeach and prosecute him But rather than try to cover up our mistakes which will cause more troubles we need to apologize for our short comings and the people need to take back thier government by geting involved with politics again.

Politics is a process by which groups of people make decisions. The term is generally applied to behaviour within civil governments, but politics has been observed in all human group interactions, including corporate, academic, and religious institutions. It consists of "social relations involving authority or power"[1] and refers to the regulation of a political unit,[2] and to the methods and tactics used to formulate and apply policy.[3] However, there is not an academic consensus on the precise definition of "politics" and what is consider as political and what is not. Max Weber defined politics as the struggle for power.

"Politics" ultimately comes from the Greek word "polis" meaning state or city. "Politikos" describes anything concerning the state or city affairs. In Latin, this was "politicus" and in French "politique". Thus it became "politics" in Middle English ( see the Concise Oxford Dictionary).

Don D. Brock

August 24, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  26. Don D. Brock

In addition to my last opinion I do not believe voting is enough to say you are involved in politics. If a person was to be properly involved in America and go to city counsel meetings and town halls and express their opinion to there politicians they would be giving four to six hours a month to their community and country. and I believe involvement by the people is the only way to successfully operate a representative democracy as ours.

Don D. Brock

August 24, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  27. David

The public needs to know what the govt is doing. Seeing what is going on in the military is necessary so that voters understand how intelligence and military affairs are being conducted and can then make an informed vote.

August 24, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  28. Robert Lake,MI

Just as Obama OK`s "special" interrogations unit, just what does that mean? We`ve always since WWII been increased danger when our troops are concerned. I think we should be concerned with our own problems of a corrupt Government on all levels, an energy plan that benefits all Americans, bringing jobs back to THIS country, regulate insurance and drug companies, those are just a few right off the top of my head! Obama I believe is being hypocrytical on a lot of issues he condemned the Bush Administration for. He has diffently fallen off track of his primary campaign promise of helping the middle class. Everyone above and below the middle class has gotten handouts but nothing for the middle class! I dont ask for a handout but I would like to see my taxes go down and I dont mean an extra $12 a paycheck, I would also like to see more jobs come back so the taxes I do pay arent going to support people who arent working as much! I also believe a lot of our finacial problems are due to people with lots of money gambling other peoples money in a stock market that is more fiction than fact. They also shipped all of our jobs overseas and left millions without ways to pay for the things that make our economy so great! I believe the top 5% should have to start paying off the debt our country is in! Its not fair the children not even born are going to be responsible for this.

August 24, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  29. Betty Phillips

Again, the blame goes back to Obama, of course this is going to endanger our young mens lives, and it seems that Obama is always trying to do something that is going to endanger so many peoples lives!! My prayer is for the people in our world who thinks Obama can do no wrong,to study the background of Obama and realize he is not what you voted for to represent us!!! I beg all Americans pick up any document they can obtain and open your mind as you read what is out there about Obama!!! He is and will go down in History as the worse president this country has had so far!! I have always did my best to stay away from any Radical beliefs, but, that is exactly what Obama thrives on. I do not appreciate Obama trying to shove it down all Americans throat who can see the damage Obama is doing!!! I am praying for 2012 to get here FAST, then Obama can take a walk or he can return to his birthland Kenya... Betty Phillips

August 24, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  30. Andy

I don't see any way that it could lead to less danger for our soldiers.

August 24, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  31. MARLENE GLIDDEN

WHY WOULD ANY AMERICAN CARE WHAT HAPPENED TO THOSE HORRIBLE PEOPLE IF YOU CAN CALL THEM THAT/
    THEY ATTACK US NO WARNING JUST KILLING AMERICANS FOR THEIR PLEASURE.
    WHY SHOULDNT THEY BE DONE THE SAME WAY.

August 24, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  32. Fred

No!!! If you haven't noticed our troops are in danger!! The enemy kills it's own and has no regard for our or anybody elses life. If it takes drills,dogs, bugs,or reruns of the O'Reilly Factor to get good information the DO IT!!!! One scared terrorist is worth a millon saved lives!!

August 24, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  33. Dianne Jewett

Who cares? The Rule Book got destroyed in the Twin Towers on Sept. 11, 2001!

August 24, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  34. maggyitch

The Clinton administration reduced funds for the Intelligent Agencies prior to 9/11 as well as weakening our military. Now the Obama administration wants to prosecute CIA members for their treatment of radical Islamic terrorists. Is this to appease the Muslims of the world or his far left radical progressive allies due to his failure to convince Americans of his government controlled health care? Regardless of the reasons, this will only encourage our enemies, put our troops in more danger, reveal facts to our enemies that should be kept secret, and greatly weaken our government's ability to keep us safe. You can bad mouth President Bush all you want but his administration including VP Chiney kept us safe! After reading the memo that was leaked by the press from Homeland Security do you really think that anyone with an ounce of common sense would trust this administration to protect us from another terrorist attack. Why doesn't CNN have a poll on how safe do American's feel under this administration. I personally would not trust this government with the care of my dog.

August 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  35. miss reality

I believe that the atrocoites should be revealed. If it places the Bush administration in jeopardy, the contractor and etc. then so be it. I believe when or if we do, we should be ready to prosecute who ever is at fault. It was important to put Clinton on trial for a sexual indiscretion and Whitewater,it was important to put Obama through the old REv. Wright episode, it was important to fire the Clinton's Secretary of Agriculture regarding his dealings with the Chicken company, It was important to fire former Mayor of San Antonio for an affair that went wrong. American should say to the world " Bless me World for I have done some inexplicable wrongs" and I can not hold anybody body else acountable if I do not admit my on wrongs. People have died, citizens of Iraq and American soldiers, Sadaam was hanged. People were tortured. There were no statue of limiations on the Nazi war criminals, no limitations on the Yuoslavian dictators. Let Republicans answer to these allegations and let the President take care of the needs of Americans people. Let Rush Linbaugh explain why crooks should go free considering the mess they made. Bush should not be able to get away with the mess he put us in

August 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  36. Sally Nelson

CNN is shown all over the world so why do you keep dredging up what went on by our US government in order to obtain information from known captured criminals who intended to destroy our country? What happened, happened so now give it a rest. Let our government deal with it behind closed doors instead opening it up over and over on your news casts to upset Americans as well as the rest of the world. What good is coming from that?

August 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  37. Derrick Shoemake

Who gives a rat's {...} if it prevents another 911. Why don't you {...} whiners climb down off of your Yellow Journalism soap boxes, and report something worth while ,and righteous, instead of always stirring the pot! Why do people get Journalism degrees...because it is the next easiest thing to basket weaving...thats why. Run that up your {...} flagpole!

August 24, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  38. Heather Mash

No, don't think they are more danger than they are all ready experiencing in a war zone.
    The real danger is not evaluating actions we have taken and what effects it has on us as a civilization. Look in the mirror "you maybe the problem". There are many studies that say these techniques of torture are not reliable any more now than during then when they were used in the Spanish Inquisition. So its the same old story just different characters.

August 24, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  39. Bruce

Hey,
    Can we ALL ACKNOWLEDGE that these techniques will make the TERRORIST'S MAD. That they will still KILL our men and women whether the CIA uses these types of Techniques or not. And ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE these types of techniques shouldn't be used unless there are good reasons for it and to keep this information where it belongs. In the Hands of those who have a NEED TO KNOW.
    For the rest of you who insist on crying foul, stirring up the pot and bringing this information to light, I can only hope that none of your son's or daughters, husbands or fathers, wlll become prisoners of these TERRORIST'S, because then you will be given THE TIME to think about what it is our Government is doing to try and stop these out of control MAD MEN and the difficulty in finding and getting your loved ones back home safely.
    I would like nothing more than for us not to be fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan or any of the other places we are now, but as long as they believe we are enemies of Islam they will continue to seek us out and KILL US. IF IT WERE YOUR HEAD IN THE PATH OF THAT SWORD YOU WOULD NOT BE COMPLAINING.

August 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  40. James of Houston

Why do we continue to engage in this destructive policy of self-flagaration? This is insane! … Given the current environment, Abraham Lincoln would have been convicted and sent to prison during the Civil War for suspending "Habeas Corpus" to protect the Union, its Army and its citizens!

August 24, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  41. matt

CNN hates the american soldier. They have more blood on their heads than Obama "what's his name."

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  42. David

This is sort of a dumb question, but will President Obama and Congress need time to sort of talk a bit about their vacations and what they did during the August recess before getting back to work, Health Care reform, etc?

August 25, 2009 at 1:12 am |
  43. Rick Nelson

Water Board or your head cut off!!! MMMMMMMMMMM, think I would take the water board.

August 25, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  44. Tonny

Of course the CIA should be investigated. They should be investigated for a lot more than just interrogation as well. This is against the law and the CIA should follow rules instead of doing there own thing which the US allowed to happen. They have to much power and little surveys like this prove that they have power beyond measure. We are slaves blinded by the understanding of freedom.

August 25, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  45. Lloyd

They should have a low level investigation and keep it out of the media,it only hurts our security and damages morale for CNN to splash this all over the news.After all what is the big deal about using threats and coercion to obtain information from a know terrorist like Khalid Sheikh Muhammad,should our interrogators have just asked nicely ?

Boo hoo,I'm so sick and tired of hearing how nasty we are being to these poor terrorists!!! Wake up and realize that we are still at war. What will it take? another nine eleven before we come to our senses.
    I'm not advocating pulling fingernails or electric shock but threats and tricking a terrorist into thinking their comrade has just been shot is no big deal. This witch hunt is ludicrous!!!!!!

August 25, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  46. frances settle

i think we should drop the whole matter,we know that the terrorist listen to everything we say and all of this just gives them more information about our methods. the cia does what it has to to get information.

August 25, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  47. Jeannie

I can't understand why anyone would want to spend money on investigating the past which will not help our economy or change anything. Stop looking at the past and spend that money on a cost of living increase for the people on social security or schools or something else that will help with the future of our country. Yes possibly some of the CIA guys went to far but if you lost anyone on 911 I bet you wouldn't care if we scared a terrorist. Come on they instill fear and they have to deal with a little fear themselves isn't that justice?

August 25, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  48. Me

I believe so. Do you not understand we are at war? Some things the news media does NOT need to report. Our current government is telling all to the world. I believe it's only a matter of time before there is another terrorist in America. We are becoming so vulnerable. Are the Democrats for our safety? Not when they tell all our secrets to the would.

August 25, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  49. Brenda Morgan

Absolutely and shame on us. Our CIA and heads of our country are trying their best to keep us from getting hit again and we are always looking at how we can make them pay for doing that! Terrible

August 25, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  50. Polly Owen

Absolutely, we should thoroughly investigate and then prosecute if necessary. Are we willing to be a country known for torture, as have some of the worst regimes in history? It seems to me there should me no question on this issue, embarassing activities brought out into the open or not.

August 25, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  51. linda glenn

this is scary it remind me of african amicans slavery all over again

August 25, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  52. Jim Falkner

I am not surprized that this conversation is taking place in the national arena. It's obviously an Administration attempt to redirect public anger generated over the President's health care initiative to the (now) demonized Bush administration. Continuing down this path will only weaken our nation's defense and encourage terrorists.

August 25, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  53. Betty Phillips

You are so right Jim Falkner!!!!, there will be many more topics or conversations taking place for only one purpose and that is to redirect the angers of the Public so Obama will not feel so stupid and let down that millions of people know just what a nothing he is: Now for the lastest conversation, The social security will not have a cost of living for the Seniors for the next two years. That will save about 2 billion for Obama, however, the little ole seniors must continue to stretch their measley dollars, cut some medicine from their medical care, but, Praise the Lord, Obama is getting a weeks vacation for a measley "35,000, that would certainly make a few house payments, buy food for many, and send children to school with supplies they will need, Oh how disgusting life is now with Obama!!! Please pray for our country untill the doors open for the Obama family and give them the opportunity to return to their Homeland in Kenya. Lets not put all the blame on the Bush administration, he did keep the Americans safe for the remainder of his term, but, now we again will have to face more assaults for Obama will never have the smarts to keep us safe.
    Betty

August 25, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  54. Lynne

No it won't. It's the actions of the Bush administration that have increased danger to our country and military around the world.

August 25, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  55. TheRayman

Who will be the new bagman for the Democrats after Teddy is buried.

August 26, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  56. Don D Brock

Clandestine
    Clandestine Clan*des"tine, a. [L. clandestinus, fr. clam
    secretly; akin to celare, E. conceal: cf. F. clandestin.]
    Conducted with secrecy; withdrawn from public notice, usually
    for an evil purpose; kept secret; hidden; private; underhand;
    as, a clandestine marriage. –Locke.

Syn: Hidden; secret; private; concealed; underhand; sly;
    stealthy; surreptitious; furtive; fraudulent. -
    Clan*des"tine*ly, adv. - Clan*des"tine*ness, n.
    [1913 Webster]

- From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

clandestine
    adj : conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods;
    "clandestine intelligence operations";
    "cloak-and-dagger activities behind enemy lines";
    "hole-and-corner intrigue"; "secret missions"; "a
    secret agent"; "secret sales of arms"; "surreptitious
    mobilization of troops"; "an undercover investigation";
    "underground resistance" [syn: cloak-and-dagger, hole-and-corner(a),
    hugger-mugger, hush-hush, on the quiet(p), surreptitious, undercover, underground]

- From WordNet (r) 2.0

26 Moby Thesaurus words for "clandestine":
    back-door, backstairs, covert, feline, furtive, hidlings,
    hole-and-corner, hugger-mugger, privy, quiet, shifty, skulking,
    slinking, slinky, sly, sneaking, sneaky, stealthy, surreptitious,
    under-the-counter, under-the-table, undercover, underground,
    underhand, underhanded, unobtrusive

- From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0

CLANDESTINE. That which is done in secret and contrary to law.
    2.Generally a clandestine act in case of the limitation of actions will
    prevent the act from running. A clandestine marriage is one which has been
    contracted without the form which the law has prescribed for this important
    contract. Alis. Princ. 543

- From Bouvier's Law Dictionary, Revised 6th Ed (1856)

August 26, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  57. Canam

Are You serious? Of course it would. It will put all of us in danger. Investigate the Brave Americans who keep us safe from Terroists? Are you freaking nuts! Folks, this Amateur Clown Circus is not planning to leave town on it's own accord. We MUST send them packing. When election day rolls around in your town, vote Conservative/Republican all the way down the ticket. You may be giving a future PROUD AMERICAN a start toward cleaning out the infestation of our Government. The following are the Senate seats up for grabs in 2010. Make a copy and send to all of your friends and acquaintances for ACTION.
    Evan Bayh (IN)
    Michael Bennett (CO)
    Barbara Boxer (CA)
    Christopher Dodd (CT)
    Byron Dorgan (ND)
    Russell Feingold (WI)
    Daniel Inouye (HI)
    Ted Kaufman (DE) – retiring
    Patrick Leahy (VT)
    Blanche Lincoln (AR)
    Mikulski Barbara (MD)
    Patty Murray (WA)
    Harry Reid (NV)
    Charles Schumer (NY)
    Senator replacing Barack Obama (IL)
    Senator replacing Hillary Clinton (NY)
    Senator replacing Ted Kennedy (MA)

August 27, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  58. Charles

Non-military persons do not quite understand what it takes to make sure that our citizens continue to enjoy and and live the liberties this country provide stand for. We as current and former military individuals at one time or another where on the line to make the ultimate sacrifice for our country. That sacrifuce is what it took so that our citizens, some of them ingrates continue to enjoy our liberties. Investigating the CIA is nothing but a move of those ingrates and our enemies within in an attempt harm our country. Just remember 9/11. When we came back from the situation in kuwait, the governmrnt thru the efforts and findings of the CIA and the USA Intelligence Community was adecuately informed of future terrorist activities inside our country. They attempted to bring the towers down by placing a bomb in a vehicle on the towers basement and they faile. The enemies of this country are not about to give us posible harmful information to our country, just like that. It is the responsability of institution such as the CIA and Intelligence Agencies to find that information by any mean necesary, or we will be fighting the enemy in our back yard.

Just remember how the Hitler regime treated our soldiers who fell prisoners in an attempt to get information. While we treated the 400,000 German soldiers who were held prisoners here in the USA with kids glove and feed like kings, the Germans were burying our soldiers in mass graves by truck loads.

If we tie the hand of our information sources, then shame on us and we deserve what we get.

Charles
    NYC

August 27, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  59. Jeannie

EXCELLENT COMMENT CHARLES !!!!!! THANK YOU FOR SYING SO WELL WHAT SO MANY OF US FEEL.

August 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  60. Jeannie

THANK YOU FOR "SAYING" WHAT SO MANY OF US FEEL.

NEW KEYBOARD AND I SEEM TO MAKE TYPING ERRORS ON IT-

BUT I APPRECIATE YOUR WRITTEN RESPONSE.

August 27, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  61. Gov Employee - Southern California

Give me a break!

I worked for DOD in 1985-1987 in Greece. It finally dawned on me that the people in Greece knew exactly what the American government was doing and that is why they were fire bombing our cars, planes, hotels and trying to close our base. What was even more interesting is that the American people had no knowledge of this fact including the majority of military personnel!

We do NOT live in a vacuum. People around the world know more about the American government including (CIA) and (special private contract) operatives than the average American. I am so tired of fear tactics.

August 31, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  62. Gov Employee - Southern California

@ Jim Falkner & Betty Phillips

I completely disagree and can see by your statements that you both buy into the fear tactics. For your information, the rest of the world already knows. Its only us, Americans, who do not possess that knowledge! The CIA and ((( Special Private Contractors ))) should not be allowed to operate above the law!!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  63. Dodie - California

Give me a break!

Darth Cheney is just afraid that more crap will come out and ultimately he will be charged for war crimes. He is not worried about the CIA personnel, he is worried about himself!!!!

Now if we can only find the 100s of billions of our tax-dollars Cheney laundered and stashed in numerous off shore accounts under a multitude of fictitious names!!! That would make my Day!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  64. Jeannie

Obviously some of you have not lost loved ones to these poor people that we scared by waving a gun or drill around them. BOO HOO they got scared – talk to those of us that have friends and realtives they KILLED!!!! Where is your common sense? Mr Cheney gave us some good information last night and thankfully there is someone that could make decisions and had control over the people they appointed when 911 hapened. Obviouly Obama does not have any control and does not know how to keep promises. If we were attacked again he would not have a clue what to do – he would have to organize the community and take a poll before he protected the country.

August 31, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  65. David

Are we not supposed to investigate misconduct that even catches the eye of the CIA inspector general? I'm guessing this person sees all kinds of hardcore spy stuff. This story is all over the news right now, anyway.

August 31, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  66. David

@Jeannie, I'm not saying VP Dick Cheney and the Bush admin did not act to aggressively and decisively or were wrong to protect our country from terrorists, but the violations of rights the appear to have occurred during the Bush admin could be spread to other prisoners who are not terrorists and could become a practice that in the long run totally undermines the reputation of the US and the rights and liberties of people in this country. This is my deeply held conviction, but I don't want to visit ridicule upon the Bush admin. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that a congresssional committee could hold classified hearings to look into the CIA Inspector General's findings.

Heidi, as the comments keep coming in to the blog, I think there shld be a link to the CNN.com article or articles that is/are connected to the blog post.

September 1, 2009 at 4:27 pm |