Today on CNN Newsroom

August 31st, 2009

Watching the Fire on the Web

UCLA is streaming a live look at Mount Wilson- it houses major antennas and transmitters for the region.  It is also home to a historic solar observatory.

Filed under: Nicole Lapin • Tony Harris
  1. kim vuchkovich

As a alcohol and drug counselor in Ohio who works directly with persons in a specialized program for Drivers convicted of OVI, under no circumstances should the drinking age be lowered. I see this every week. Penalties should be enhanced.
    These kids need education on drinking, you will see crashes and death rates go up if the age is lowered. Education, education, education.

August 31, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  2. Dodie - California

All brush and forest fires are tragic. So many animals and people lose their homes and habitat! With 30 MILLION people in the southern California area, compiled with continued drought, the increase and severity of fires will continue. This is very tragic! Los Angeles is already experiencing a water shortage!

August 31, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  3. Dan

We here in the US wonder why there are so many natural disasters, to include this horrible fire in southern CA. We also experience numerous tornadoes, disasterous storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.
    America, lets WAKE UP. This is not "mother nature". God is trying to get our attention. When we legalize abortion, take prayer out of the public schools, so it's ok for man – man and woman – woman relationships, couples living together without getting married, removing the 10 commandments from public buildings, etc, etc, all against his commands, no wonder we are suffering so much.
    WAKE UP AMERICA!!

August 31, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  4. Tiffany

Wanted to let you know I think the coverage of the kidnapping case is helping folks who have lived in dysfunctional families . . . and would like to see more on this . . .
    For instance if you have lived in a family with a parent or grandparent that has been loving and horrific you have bonded with them, they are your family . . . perhaps not realizing the hurt that has been a part of your normal life.
    Please continue with the therapists . . . I think many may be helped by their knowledge and wisdom.

August 31, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  5. James Cornett

With the fires in California and not much containment I don't know if it has been thought of or not but I read about the CAFS, Compressed Air Foam Systems that can extinguisg fires up to 10 times faster than water. The OFB1 FOAMS PRODUCES THICK ADHESIVES FOAMS AT EXPANSION RATES UP TO 30 TIMES THE QUANTITY OF WATER AND CAN SHOOT UP TO 35 METERS OR 115 FT. iT'S THE SAME THINGS THEY USE TO EXTINGUISH AIRPLANE FIRES.

August 31, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  6. Mike Posey

I am a Democrat, voted for Barrack Obama....However, as popular as he is, I believe Healthcare, as written now is DOA,.....Hilary Clinton couldn't get it done, Ed Kennedy didn't get it done in his 40 plus years in the Senate....People are pretty happy, as am myself and my wife, with our health care....We get great healthcare, almost free, except for a few dollars in co-pays. She has Health Net, I have Well Care, we both have Medi-Care, and Medi-Cal...we see doctors we want for nothing, get 2900 dollars a month in medication, and supplies for diabetes, and my colostomy for about 50 bucks a month in co-pays. She has a 15 buck co-pay at any doctor, ER, or hospital....Mine is free. I just had in 2006 an operation to remove my lower bowel. It was well over 250 K for 45 days in hospital, 14 days in ICU, and the operation, I paid a TOTAL of $28.06 for the WHOLE thing. A dressing I got wasn't covered by my insurance....

Most of the population has health care coverage...like 80%. Most like what they have....changing is tough when this subject comes up....Like making any changes to Social Security.....People are going to balk....I think Obama underestimated the power of the people on their reps, and overestimated his own power....Nice guy, great family, but he's not a great leader....He's tentative, and depends on others a little too much...the man is President...he has the seat...he has popularity, but he doesn't use either effectively...Like Bob Dole said, if he'd get his feet wet on this thing, it might pass in some form....without his print on it, it's DOA, for certain in the Senate. Those guys want to be re-elected.....That's their job.....Many are getting bad comebacks from the folks at home....I believe the moderates and Independents are NOT going to come on board with the present plan. Compromise is nearly impossible....He could ram it through, he has a bullet-proof majority in the Senate...Big majority in the House..But those "blue dog" Dems? I doubt they'll back this thing...too many people down south aren't all that enamored with Obama...hate to say it, but racism is alive and well in Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama...Lots of folks purely don't like a Black man leading this country down there...Like it or not this is a FACT...None of those States went for him in the election...So I doubt the reps from there will go for this present plan for healthcare....just a harsh reality...It's sad, for certain, but true nonetheless....So Obama has to back up, and replay the hand....Fold, and deal it again....He didn't get a good "flop", the Republicans are sitting there with pocket Aces, and Obama has pocket Jacks....Fold, and redeal, Mr. President...Mike Posey

September 1, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  7. Mike Armstrong TX.

They need to change the name of California to hell this has to be the most hostile state in America with earth quacks mud slides and fires and I.O.U.'s its just to dangerous to even visit that state.

September 1, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  8. Sandy Manning

Dear Tony

Regarding wildfires in California. Our Governor talks about coordination between fire agencies during this disaster, but apparently the USFS is the only agency using an impressive new fire apparatus on the Yosemite fire near Mariposa. I saw several of these machines waiting on the helipad before they were delivered by helicopters using harnesses and long lines to hand crews in the most remote area of the fire. Very dramatic seeing them lift off and fly into the smoke. They were amazing. The unit is called a Uni-Engine. (I searched the net and found a web site) It's filled by helicopter buckets and used in the same way as a fire engine (It's like a big, square, flying fire engine) with hoses that pump water directly on the flames instead of unreliable water drops that often get lost in the trees. I was told it has articulating feet that are self-leveling to straddle rugged terrain. It seems the perfect tool for the Station Fire but I haven't heard that it's being used down there. Since Cal Fire has the helicopters, why aren't they using this Uni-Engine where it's needed most. It seems a no brainer, unless politics keeps one agency from using another's new discovery. I bet the Forest Service would share. Maybe CNN could find out?

September 1, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  9. Lynn Agajanian

I am now watching Tony and he just talked about the L.A. fires. I lived in L.A. for 20 years and I am curious why the area does not do controlled burns to help eliminate the brush that always seems to fuel these fires.

I have seen controlled fires in New Mexico and I never really heard about California conducting these. Maybe they do but it never seems to come up on the news.

Might you have some insight on this Tony?

Thanks Tony!

September 2, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  10. James Madison (no relation)

This is absolutely an invasion of privacy! If I have your account and password, can I not post anything I want to your account and then have you arrested for it? If this becomes precedent, then no accounts; web, e-mail, anything. Add to this mandatory vaccinations (starting with our most vulnerable children) under penalty of imprisonment and you have a police state that Hitler would be proud of. This is not about bullying, This is about government intrusion into and control of every aspect of our lives. That used to be called fascism.

September 2, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  11. Jannise Mora

It doesn't matter how the fires in SoCal started. What matters is the human and animal pain suffered by a wildfire event. My brother is a LAFD chief who has put his life on the line year after year for over 30 years. Every year he attempts to inform the city's citizens how to help themselves prevent fires and fire damage to their personal habitat. It is unbelievable how many people ignore his suggestions and pleas, placing him and all firefighters at unnecessary risk. These men and women are angels to all SoCal residences facing a fire risk. Please keep them in your prayers.

September 3, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  12. Tom Joad

If A Public Healthcare "Option" is Socialism, isn't The Fire Department? Why should you and I pay for a fire department that spends 80% of their, "expletive" OUR resources EVERY YEAR fighting fires where people know the fire dangers before hand yet choose to move their anyway? Shouldn't they pay more like poor people in the inner city pay more for car insurance? Yet, I don't here conservatives, who represent the vast majority of these areas, screaming Socialism in this regard. Or, is it only "socialism” when it doesn't benefit them – or, when a minority, specifically a BLACK MAN, is President ?

Tom Joad

September 3, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  13. Sandy Manning

Dear Tony:

Seven days ago, I emailed you (CNN) asking if you knew why the Uni-Engine, a relatively new firefighting apparatus used by the USFS in remote regions of Northern California and Oregon, was not being used by Cal Fire on the huge Station Fire. A friend of mine on the fire lines just called and said that Uni-Engines have just now arrived at the temporary helipad in the San Gabriel Canyon, and would be flown up to the remote mountaintop areas of the fire today. This is such good news for us that have seen this unit's potential. I saw it at work in the Klamath River area and it was very dramatic. The Uni-Engine is a relatively new USFS apparatus that accompanies Hot Shot crews dropped into inaccessible areas. It flies on a long line slung under a helicopter and is filled directly by helicopter buckets. These 1000 gallon units are huge and act as on-site water sources pumping water directly on the flames. I don't know if my query to you precipitated question from CNN that brought this about, but if it did I want to thank you. You've done both those small, remote communities in the path of the fire (I have friends in Dillon Divide) and the weary firefighting crews, an enormous service.

Sandra Manning
    North San Juan, California

September 7, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  14. Tom Garvey

I read the email from Sandra Manning regarding the Uni-Engine. I'm a retired firefighter from Crescent City, California, and I've also seen this unit in action. It flies along under a helicopter smooth as can be. Uneven terrain is no problem: it just levels itself out and hugs the ground. Helicopter buckets fill it up and hand crews straight stream water directly on the wildfire. It's pretty incredible. Someone should have thought of this concept long ago. The guys call it a Klump Pump after the US Forest Service chief who designed it. I'm glad to hear it's being used by other agencies besides the Forest Service.

Tom Garvey
    Magnolia Springs, Alabama

September 10, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  15. George Mack

While its very sad he had to die– everybody knows that on baseball field where a hardball can go in access of 100 mph–is a dangerous place

October 29, 2009 at 9:27 am |