Today on CNN Newsroom

October 3rd, 2009

Levs' links for Saturday, Oct. 3

I mention a lot of links on the air, and like to make them easy for you to find.

So, here are some key sites we're showing you today in the Newsroom:

Vote for CNN Hero of the Year: http://www.cnn.com/heroes

"Best Places to Live 2009" – ranking the "best" towns in the U.S.: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2009/index.html

Rio's plans for 2016: http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/

Chicago's "Thank You": http://www.chicago2016.org/

What happens to Olympic stadiums? http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1927333_1957182,00.html

More links to come...

Post by:
Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Mike Armstrong TX.

The best place in America to live is in small towns living in citys is like living in a jungle full of wild and crazy animals.

October 3, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  2. jim Buckley

How can you state that losing the olympics is America's loss. No poll including your own show support for it.

jim

October 3, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  3. Mike Armstrong TX.

The best place to live is any wheres in Texas isnt that right Betty.

October 3, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  4. Wendy Grudin

Too Funny...naming Louisville,CO. the top city. Regading the weather....we moved away from there due to the Denver smog infiltrating Lousville. Go there during the winter "inversions" and you won't find it so pleasant...bad air...yuck!

October 3, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  5. william

This country spends so much money on iraq and aftganistan after 9/11 but the terrorism in us cities has caused much more damage no jobs drugs why not spend our money at home the olympics more important to president and mayor than children dying I bet they would care more if it was one of their children

October 3, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  6. George Marquis Smith

Can't understand/believe the way MSNBC is framing the issues involved in Chicago's lost bid for the 2016 Olympics. All things considered, it was Rio's game to lose. Chicago's delegation knew this. Though Chicago's bid was the better business offer, Rio made the case that an Olympic Games had NEVER been hosted in South America and was long overdue. Chicago's delegation put in a great deal of effort; made their best pitch; could offer no significant reason that Rio shouldn't be awarded the bid. Though they knew Rio had to make a mistake to lose, the Chicago delegation had to make certain they made no mistakes. All the other delegations had their nation's chief executive make an appearance. Chicago had to do the same. It would have been disrespectful to the IOC and to the process. In the end, it's NOT ALL ABOUT US!

Now that the decision has been made, we should be not just "good sports", we should set the example. Every time the US has won the bid in the past, others cities (nations, continents) lost. I love Chicago and plan to go there for a vacation in the near future, but lets be happy for Rio, Brazil, South America.

October 3, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  7. renee

The reason America lost the Olympics is because all the negativity that surrounded the President's trip. The olympic committee loved Obama but they are not going to be bothered with the so called conservative community that has to be so critical over everything. Let a country and a region have the games that is going to be greatful and really appreciative of having the games. For the person that made the comment about the crime in Chicago obviously you don't travel because there is a lot of crime in Rio too.

October 3, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  8. Richard

Josh, just saw your comments re Chicago and other violence. I just returned from the NRA indoor shooting range where I take my now ten year old son regularly (I also take my 11 yr old daughter). Today he shot two pistols and two rifles. My kids are taught about gun safety every time the subject comes up. We talk about general personal safety and maintaining awareness of ones surroundings all the time. My father took me shooting beginning at the age of 8, and enrolled me in a hunter safety course back in the 1960's. I am determined that neither I nor other members of my family ever become victims of violence. I think we will always have bad people doing bad things. If they couldn't get the illegally obtained guns they typically use, they'ed use something else – knives, baseball bats, and the like. You rarely hear about the vast majority of gun owners – folks like myself, my dad, and my son– BECAUSE WE AND OUR GUNS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM, THE BAD PEOPLE ARE!!!!!

October 3, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  9. Delorise Sullivan

Let me first start by saying I love my President. I pray for him daily. But when I heard he was going abroad to lobby for the olympics to be in Chicago, my first thought and expression was, "you have got to be kidding me." Chicago is making national news showing a child being beat to death in the streets. I think the city has more important issues than trying to secure the olympics. I saw people on t.v. in total shock and shedding tears over the fact that Chicago lost the olympic bid. I have to ask did those people cry for the mother whose child was beaten to death in their streets. Why would anyone want to come to Chicago ever?

October 3, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  10. jean

Where iare Jesse Jackson and Rev Al Sharpton to lend their support to this family and Chicago youth when it is really needed??

October 3, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  11. Mike Armstrong TX.

Military check points will gain control of Chicago drug trafic and the reduction of weapons .

October 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  12. George Marquis Smith

If you buy a gun because you are afraid, buying a gun won't make you unafraid. Very simply, you'll be a frightened person with a gun. This is a recipe for disaster.

October 3, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  13. Dr. Daniel Uditsky

The problem as I see it, is the lack of parental involvement in the lives fo the children in these neighborhoods. Until parents take responsibility for the actions of their children the violence will continue. Children need two parents in the home to set an example for them. Motivated children come from motivated parents.

More often than not, the violence is gang related. Why do people belong to a gang? The history of gang violence goes back for generations. Gang violence was glorified in the movie "Colors." In that movie the gangs battled over the control of turf and the drug trade in Los Angeles. The battles are still the same but the location is different.

Good role models are also important. Gangsta rappers, glory seekers and out of control athletes are not good role models. People like Julian Bond, Bill Cosby, President and Mrs Obama, and Spike Lee are good role models in my opinion.

There has to respect for life. It seems to me that the people that live in the area that was featured in the just completed piece have little or now respect for life. They would just as soon settle their disputes with violence as with negotiations.

All the police, national guard troops, and community activism will not stem this tide. It is time for the people in the area to look in the mirror and stare at the cause of the violence and discourse.....themselves.

Daniel N. Uditsky DDS

October 3, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  14. saundra azmitia

I propose a three step plan to clean up crime in Chicago:
    1) Air-lift youngsters and famiies to safe areas where they can build better futures.
    2) Send troops into combat zones.
    3) Target corruption, proliferation of guns and drugs.

Crime infestation cannot be cured by educational programs and making nice.

October 3, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  15. F.Park

Please people where have you been? Are you from earth? I am 60 years old and lived the first 30 years of my life on the south side of CHICAGO in Bridgeport. The violence has always been on the streets of Chicago, this is nothing new. The only difference between now and back then is technology. (ie cell phones with camera's and the internet). The nation has info at their fingertips. I lost many friends to violence, gangs, rape you name it. Oh and lets not forgot the 1968 riots, or the riots when MLK was assassinated. But you know it is everywhere even in the south, so why all the focus on Chicago now? Oh yeah that's where our President is from. Folks lets remember he is a human being like the rest of us and he is proud of his home town, so am I. And like I said this is old news to those who have been survivng violence for so long.

October 3, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  16. John

Hey, Josh! I agree with Richard. I don't own a gun myself, but logic and my good common sense tell me guns are not the problem. Everyone is focusing on the recent Derrion Albert incident...he was beaten to death, wasn't he? NOT shot to death.

These children & teens you showcase in the news are no longer taught what's wrong or right by their parents. Someone who is taught properly to value & respect life, and be considerate of their fellow man – even in a self-defense situation, would hesitate to pick up a gun and fire at their attacker.

However, one who has no respect for another human life because they haven't been taught this by the parents...will shoot and kill someone on a dare.

BTW...maybe you can help me get an answer to this. I've seen CNN has produced Latino in American and Black in America features. Can you tell me you will soon be releasing White in America? I'd certainly be interested to watch along with a large segment of your viewers, and I'm sure CNN would be eager to take a stand against racially charged reporting that is unfair and discriminatory, right?

Thanks, Josh!

October 3, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  17. Harold Campbell

Josh: The shootings in chicago and all other states are out of control,All rights as far as guns should be set aside unless properly licensed and bring in all authoritys including the national gaurd under marshall law and take back our streets and inspect all homes and properties for guns. This is not an invasion of anyones rights when the law is broken.all persons caught with a weapon not having the proper paperwork should be charged with a feloney either adults or juvenilles.This 16 yr old in chicagos familey should have justice.Life is to short even to allow 1 death. Thank you Harold

October 4, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  18. saundra azmitia

There is truth in each statement. Chicago is not the only city with violence. If change isn't initiated from the top down, it may be initiated from the bottom up. Individuals may choose to move in different directions. What are individuals doing in response to these challenges?

October 26, 2009 at 10:16 am |