Today on CNN Newsroom

October 3rd, 2009

What do you think? Are workplace relationships ever ok?

"Late Show" host David Letterman admits having sex with female staff members and claims he was the victim of an extortion plot. When talking about this story it opened up the discussion, is it ever ok to have a consensual sexual relationship with a coworker? Tell us your thoughts. We may air some of them this morning in the CNN Newsroom.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. T.

I don't think it was a very smart thing for Letterman to have sexual relations with employees for all to know and talk about, but the real issue is the extortion plot against him I hope this guy gets put away for a long time.

October 3, 2009 at 6:26 am |
  2. Chris Johnson

I think relationship in the work place is fine as long as it doesn't effect your work or your job. But I was working for Aaron's Sales and Lease for 31/2 years and I hired someone as my sale manager and we had a relationship and I didn't treat her any differently than the rest of the staff . Well it did come back and hunt me because Dec of last year my boss walked in wasn't there more than 10 mins. and told me he didn't need me anymore and flat out said that aaron's wasn't ready for this and he wasn't going to be a part of it. Well the next day my coworker walked in and she was let go the also......Needless we didn't let this get us down and we got married August 1st of this year........

October 3, 2009 at 6:28 am |
  3. Christian

How many babies do you think have been conceived on CNN corporate property between consenting adults who were co-workers? You can't stop sex, period. If a boss is taking advantage, I feel strongly that someone would speak up.

October 3, 2009 at 6:40 am |
  4. ken

Workplace relations are ok except if they are between the ceo and an intern. This is a clear case of sexual harassment on one of two situations: If the female intern was compelled to perform or if she thought it would help her keep her job it is harassment. Two it is also harassment to all the other female employees because it creates an ENVIRONMENT of having to perfom in order to get favors from the boss. All staff workers who felt embarrassed or threatened by letterrmans behavior have a good case for harassment against letterman. This whole situation should have been handled internally because now most of the staff wil be forced to testify in court which will of course be harassing and embarrassing to them. Consenual sex is not an out for a sexual harassment violation.

October 3, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  5. Kim

I don't really think its an ideal situation to get involved with someone at the work place but I have to ask the real question. How many people have found lasting love by initially meeting their significant other at the work place? I have to believe its more than we realize!

October 3, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  6. J. Green, Dix Hills, NY

TJ:

Any time a boss has intimate relations with a subordinate there is an aura of intimidation. The question is "Did any of Letterman's subordinates get favors for giving sex, or were any of those who rebuffed him 'punished' in any way?" If so, we haven't heard the last of this story and Letterman, who is not very funny, may find that the jokes on him (LOL)!!! He can be his own top ten list on what it takes to be guilty of sexual harrassment.

J. Green

October 3, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  7. Matt

You can decide who you sleep with, but you can't decide who you work with. Regardless how strongly attracted you are to a co-worker, the best general rule to follow is "Don't put your meat where you earn your bread."

In this case, it was not just co-workers, but employees. As has been pointed out, this could have resulted in harassment situations should the women claim they felt pressured, even if it was only perceived. It could still happen.

October 3, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  8. Jeff

I feel it's ok to have a consensual sexual relationship with a coworker, however it's not a very smart idea because of the potential headaches that can arise.

October 3, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  9. Jules

I met a nice young man at work years ago. We were friends, laughed, told jokes and just enjoyed each others company. I was attracted to him yes but I would have never have thought to have a relationship with a co-worker! (matter of fact I wasn't looking for a relationship with ANYONE, most especially a co-worker!)

Well, this nice young man had other ideas! Six months into our work friendship we went out with a bunch of co-workers to a social function and he kissed me.........
    That was IT!
    We've been together going on 15 years, married nearly 12 years....very, very happily married at that!

I did quit my job shortly after we started dating to keep the gossip down and to keep our relationship far away from any scrutiny of management.

October 3, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  10. Sam

Relationships with co-workers is okay, but it should not effect the work by them or other co-workers peformances. Cause BOSS es might take advantage of this..I think Most of the Big celebs may come forward with their scandals in next few years. Coming to Philips Mackenzie, I believe she is not right saying "raped by dad for 10 years". At atleass after 1 or 2 or3 or .....she would have realized at somepoint its a mistake the issue would have been taken care.

October 3, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  11. Nello

Workplace relationships happens, they is nothing wrong with it unless US Government/People want to make a law against it.

October 3, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  12. Bob

Some of the Best Sex I ever had was at work. When I got home and my wife asked how my day was, I'd say fantastic I hope it's just as good tomorrow. When you're the Boss there are sometimes younger women that just have to see if they can control you or share the rush of power or something like that. It's not always the Boss that starts it, in my case it was always the ladies. I must admit, I am a lot older and wiser now and if I had it to do over again there's a few more I would add to my list of fondest memories..

October 3, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  13. Charles Kopack

As long as it does not effect the work, and it is concensual, why not?

October 3, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  14. Mike Armstrong TX.

Those heart doctors must have done a really good job with his bypass surgery all that sex would kill a normal person with heart decease this almost makes him super Dave.

October 3, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  15. J Michael

If the boss is involved in a relationship it changes the interaction of everyone in the workplace. Chris (above) said "I didn't treat her any differently than the rest of the staff", obviously this is a misperception on his part. Unless he was having sex with everyone at his workplace. The parties involved in the relation have greater access to each other, more information and business decisions are not made soley on the basis of business intelligence and business criterion.
    Other employees do not receive the same time, consideration and exposure.

These personal interactions blead over into the business world. Any boss who thinks their liason's are 'so well hidden' that the other employees 'do not know' is simply wrong. The other employees will find out and it will affect the entire work environment.

The onus is on the boss and the boss's boss to create and maintain a non-hostile work environment. If the boss thinks they do not have an obligation, both moral and legal, to do so then they are putting the firm at risk and their boss needs to address the situation.

Organizational standards are set at the top and filter down. If the top of an organization does not display moral leadership, then sooner or later the entire organization will pay a price.

In the case of David Letterman, he should have been smarter. A man in his position has access to a much bigger 'fishing reservoir' than just the company pool. At this point he and CBS are in a position of liability not only from the women that he had affairs with, but also from all the employees who where put in a hostile work environment as a result of his affairs.

October 3, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  16. sarah

I think as long as you retain the ability to be professional, and get your job done well then it should be ok. I've been able to do that with my boyfriend, and we work together. I would say I'm happier when I'm at work, so my efficiency and quality of work has increased! Just keep it professional.

October 3, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  17. Julian

Rio 2016

Yes, we creu on Chicago yankeess!!!!

Juliano – Curitiba, Brazil

October 3, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  18. Page Clark

It is prudent that you look at your co-workers as FAMILY and not friends. Why? You don't date and marry family....

October 3, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  19. Crystal

Poor David who is a human being just like everyone else! We all have our faults and hidden secrets. Work place relationships are for responsible people who are able to handle it and are able to be at work and seperate personal from work. But like I said, we are all human beings with our own faults. I think David should forget about this stupid childish incident that someone wanted to expose because they weere jealous of his stamina and go on with the show like normal. It shouldn't affect his job because he is not the only one in the world who has ever had a relationship at work. I am glad that @$$ was arrested! GO DAVE!! 🙂

October 3, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  20. Water Watcher

Letterman is SCUM. He has a total disregard for women. After insulting Palin's daughter, after not marrying the mother of his child for years and years, after have MULTIPLE sex with employess beholden to him for their job – HE NEEDS TO BE GONE. The fact that he made a JOKE of the story GOES VOLUMES TO HIS CHARACTER. Get rid of him!

October 3, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  21. Dennis McBride

I think it is between the employer and the empoyee regarding these type of affairs. As an outsider, I am not interested in what goes on behind closed doors, although the employer should be concerned.

I think many of us have worked in areas where affairs are happening. It does create a lot of anxiety in the work place. It can be very uncomfortable for the other employees.

October 3, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  22. Vicki

How is this possibly news? Come on. Whomever the women is/was she and Letterman are both adults and there was nothing illegal involved. The extortion attempt is another matter entirely. But the little affair (if it was that) certainly does not merit all this attention. The coverage is simply feeding Americans prurient interests.

October 3, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  23. Marie Jacquelyne Clement

I have always refused to go out with anyone in my workplace because once it is over one of you has to quit the job. Also puts you into a vulnerable situation where it would be difficult to say no to favors asked.

I got fired for not wanting to go out with my boss. I rather get fired because I refuse to go out with either the boss or fellow worker, than get fired or have to quit because I did and it's over.

October 3, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  24. Richard

Workplace romances can develop into something beautiful. We need to see if Letterman blackmailed the staffer into a sexual situation, or was it a agreed upon romance. Bottom line is that they were both adults, so they really did not do anything illegal if it was a mutual engagement.

October 3, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  25. Claude Xavier Nogess

Poor judgment on David Letterman side. Workplace relationships are not professional and these type scenarios always end up bad. My father mentioned to me as a child that a person should never mix his money (workplace) with his/her money (payroll). Although there may be temptations, it is important to establish boundaries when approach with workplace sex and/or relationships. This is a standard that promotes corporate ethics within the workplace. To reiterate, this is bad for David Letterman.

October 3, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  26. Sarky

I think we should mind our own business .. and get on with our own lives .
    Who , Dave .. Or anyone else sleeps with , is no interest , of mine .
    Why would anyone care ? I should , and do , sleep with who I want to sleep with . Never , Never, do I care what you (CNN) would think .

October 3, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  27. Sharon

Most people have met their spouses in a work situation. When you are in a demanding career and work 10 or 14 hour days, and single, it really doesn't leave much time to get out to meet people. Workplace romances have be going on since Rosie the Riveter. Taking advantage or an abuse of power is something, but since David's wife use to work with him, these were probably valid infatuations. His delivery of what happened was very good and true to form – leave the poor guy alone.

October 3, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  28. pam

My husband and I both feel that when you use the words "concenting adults' that those adults have a right to their privacy no matter what the location. If you meet someone in the work place and concent is it any different then meeting any place else?
    I feel bad that Mr. Halderman did not think of the impact on his own children, his colleagues, or himself.
    How can you accept a check for two million dollars and plead not guilty?
    We applaud David Letterman for airing this situation himself. Brilliant descision and a great show.

October 3, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  29. Susanne

Relationships in the workplace causes a lot of problems, jealousy, higher stress levels, lack of concentration, fellow co-workers furious because of favors being given for the relationship. And this puts the coworkers in a precarious situation because employees may be put in a position to lie for the boss. I believe it would cause a major quagmire..

October 3, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  30. Susan Hess

I think its ok unless interfears with your job but, they are acting like David Letterman is some horrid person. It's the guy that's blackmailing him they should be talking about not David Letterman!! What he does in his private life is no one's business but his. Would you like your private life out in the public for everyone to know ?? He isn't the President & even if he was its still no one's business he was single at the time so, what the heck's the big deal!! He didn'y hurt anyone it's just everyone is making a big stink because he was blackmailed and had to air his dirty laundry in public which is not right!!

October 3, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  31. Brian M. McKale

David Letterman has done nothing wrong. Submitting to sexual urges is completely normal. Plus, its proven that co-workers experience stronger than average sexual tension. Her career was not furthered by this and the sex was consensual. Atta' boy Letterman! P.S. Letterman's confession not only makes this extortionist look like a total idiot but it shows us that he KNOWS he has done nothing wrong..

October 3, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  32. Marilyn

This is plain and simple to me. Bosses do not have sexual relationships with their employees, ever. It doesn't matter if some call it "consensual." Any time someone has power over another, as in Boss/Employee, the consent is somewhat tainted. And, as others have mentioned, other employees of Mr. Letterman most likely were aware of the relationship. As such they must have wondered how those relationships with the boss affected decisions surrounding pay, promotions, bonuses, assignments, etc. And not just the other women who weren't sleeping with the boss, but the male employees as well. Unfair all the way around.

October 3, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  33. Dewey

At work relationships are ok as long as both parties involved are single, it's consensual, and not quid pro quo. Extortion is not ok and I hope this jerk, Robert Joe Halderman, serves the maximum sentence allowed by law.

October 3, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  34. Lucille Andersen Fanger

What did David L. think- that the whole world was entered into a conspiracy to keep his private sexual needs hush hush? Me thinks David needs to take some ethical training to 1. curb his loose behavior with collegues who, by the way, may feel obliged to consent, in this case, for the sake of their jobs, and 2. to also curb his mouth on air- remember his slanderous sexual inuendo refrencing the 14 yr. old daughter of a former governor?
    Are these TV host's actions some how seen as a credit to American TV viewing? I shutter to think.!

October 3, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  35. Tony

Workplace sex is as common as non-workplace sex. I applaud Letterman for confronting the blackmailer. Don't you think if the sex wasn't consensual than someone would have come forward a year ago when he got married?

Workplace sex is good and that's how many many couples meet. Companies need to have policies to protect themselves through, i have seen in places "sex contracts" that individuals dating disclose their relationship and they sign a contract that any issues that arise during the relationships are personal and the company cant intervene, i.e. sexual harassment, verbal confrontations, etc...

I had many workplace relationships, one of which the girl came back and tried to file sexual harassment charges against me, it was amusing because there was security footage of her seducing me and other guys at work, so the charges were dropped, but if that contract were in place, than the company could walk away from frivolous women trying to extort money from the companies.

October 3, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  36. Linda Treasure

I’ve trained over 40,000 people on sexual harassment prevention and one thing is clear, the complications that evolve from members of management engaging in intimate relationships with subordinates are extremely problematic. There are always implications of quid pro quo. We are about to witness, once again, why avoiding these kinds of relationships is prudent.

October 3, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  37. Tony

"Any time a boss has intimate relations with a subordinate there is an aura of intimidation."

I don't believe it. I have seen and been involved in many office sex relationships, and the problems are not with the sex, is when a relationship tries to arise, usually its the boss wanting to leave their wives for the young hot secretary. The secretary is sleeping with the boss for the perks, the fun or just because shes board. 9 or of 10 office boss and subordinate sexual relationships i have seen started because of the subordinate, not the other way around.

now, i will say there is a very small percentage of boss that "force" women that have sex to get ahead, those should be dealt with, but the women who willingly sleep with their boss' to get ahead, is just part of business.

October 3, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  38. Maximilian Vartanian

As long as the relationship does not get in the way of the job, I don't see why workplace relationships are considered such a taboo thing... Who really cares if David Letterman had sex with co-workers? If it was consensual then what's the big deal?

October 3, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  39. Kathy in Florida

I guess relationships among peers would be ok. However, not boss/subordinate relationships. Too dangerous both for boss AND subordinate.
    My comment re Letterman: In my opinion, we are missing some of the point - Letterman is an amoral scumbag who doesn't deserve to have all the notoriety he enjoys. Whether his activity consisted of adultery or fornication, it was still wrong. I can't understand why his wife would ever put up with such actions. Could the answer possibly be MONEY?.

October 3, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  40. Linda Ford

Workplace sex is always dangerous and very common. Perhaps the more interesting question is what one thinks of presumably mid to high level journalists turning their skills to attempted blackmail. Poor CBS where oh where are
    Fred Friendly, and Walter Cronkite!

October 3, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  41. Jane Reid

Hello, I want to reply to the Letterman fiasco. It appears to me that for several years TV has encouraged what would be considered immoral behavior and if you admit to it, that should make it okay. TV audiences have for the last few decades cheered those who talk about drug use, sexual experiences outside of committed relationships, etc. Now we have this to hear about. If Mr. Letterman had those sexual laisons while living with his "wife" and their child he should have some shame, but does not appear to. Anyone who has been cheated on knows the horrendous feelings that accompany betrayal. What about her in this situation? I would love to see him taken off the air, but knowing TV I believe he will be kept on and probably given a raise.

October 3, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  42. Maurice Benitez

Your lady broadcaster (Betty) read an email from a woman who said what is the big deal as she had an affair at work and today is married with two kids. However, in the case of David Letterman, he is the show so he has alot of influence so did woman received favoritism for participating or were punished if they negated?

Maurice

October 3, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  43. Johnnie

Sex in the workplace has never been a smart idea, however, it has been going on since there was a workplace. The issue here is that sex seems to have evolved into a 'spectator sport' and what's done between two consenting people, has become everybody's business. I'm puzzled though, as to why there's so much emphasis put on David Letterman's sex life, and not on the Crime of 'EXTORTION AND BLACKMAIL' that was committed. Show after show keeps talking about what he did with women in his workplace. I was taught as a young child that no one can do anymore to you than you allow them to. Mr. Letterman was a single man for years, and since his now wife, was seeing him for 23years, she had to have known that he may have been playing around with other women. Since none of the women have made claims of sexual harrassment, then it would seem a little odd and opportunistic if they surfaced now. The extortionist was sent to jail, which means there will be a trial some day. LET IT GO!!!

October 3, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  44. Tigress

TJ,

Most working adults spend at least 8 -10 hours a day a work which might be more than they spend at home with family and friends. It comes as no surprise that relationships happen in the workplace because you are there 40+ hours per week. I'm single and I don't go to clubs and bars so the only place I meet people is at work. While I'm not saying that I'm a big fan of relationships in the workplace, I do think workplace relationships can and do work out just as much as any other relationship. I know people that have met at their workplace and ended up getting married and have children and are happy.

There are some pros to dating someone you work with. For example, you might work similar hours, you see how they conduct themselves in a professional setting, you find out how inteligent they are, you learn about their character and morals and values and their integrity. Plus, where I work, everyone has to pass a background check and so you can safely assume that the people you work with have a decent background and credit history. These are all things that are hard to learn about a person when you meet them at a bar, etc.

Friendships develop with the people you work with and I think that it the core of a good relationship and attraction is generally a secondary factor. When you get involved with someone you met at a club you often build that relationship based on attraction or lust.

I think workplace relationships can work but they can be tricky. People's perception becomes an issue because co-workers might feel like the person gets special treatment, better hours, higher pay, and better benefits as a result of the relationship. Plus, what if the relationship doesn't work out. You still have to see that person everyday at work and what about when they begin to date others once again. This could be very uncomfortable.

Overall, I tend to avoid workplace romance but if I worked at CNN with TJ, I would have to explore that opportunity 🙂

October 3, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  45. Jeff

While they may be appealing, they almost always cause drama for the "couple" as well as the unfortunate coworkers that have to ride the rollercoaster. The majority of these relationships end badly and don't reach "happily ever after". So that means the high or thrill of a new tryst is followed by the low of that tryst imploding. It unfolds at work and puts the couple and coworkers through hell. Everyone is trapped by the job environment. It is just worth the headaches. If either of the couples is doing something extramarital the tension and drama increases a hundred fold

October 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  46. miss reality

I believe what Letterman has done is deplorable What has been described, does not appear to be an innocent romantic relation,but instead, he used his job as a a free brothel or harem exclusively for his pleasure. He should have gone to e-harmony or a dating service if he wanted women at his disposal. Employee and employer intimate relations cause strife among the employees. Having to compete for the bosses affections or affirmation is humiliating. If CBS is tolerate of his behavior, then they too join many in contributing to the declining morality of this nation Some new anchors say these women have issues, that does not mean that CBS or Letterman have to feed them. Viewers deserve better from the networks. Teen pregnacy became exceptable with the Sarah Palin on slaught, is promiscuity going to become popular in the workplace now that Letterman engages in it?. It is time for the networks to reshape our morality away from the decadence we see. The extortionist could not have propositioned Letterman if he had been decent. CBS has a duty to present credibe decent people on its network.

October 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  47. Water Watcher

He's way past ETHICS training. He now has a fully established TRACK RECORD of his opinion of women.
    Letterman is SCUM.
    He has a total disregard for women.
    After insulting Palin’s daughter sexually durogatory remarks,
    after not marrying the mother of his child for years and years,
    after having MULTIPLE sexual with employess beholden to him for their job – HE NEEDS TO BE GONE.
    The EEOC needs to get involved. It is a FEDERAL LAW – SEXUAL HARRASSMENT IN THE WORKPLACE.
    Lets see.. the choice – allow my boss sexual favors, or risk losing my job? DOESN'T ANYONE SEE HOW REALLY, REALLY BAD THIS IS.
    ALL Women should be outraged!!!!

October 3, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  48. Marie Jacqueline Clement

As we are seeing, many sex stories are coming out. One cannot hide from these when you are in the limelight. I'm just a ordinary person but I refused always to take nude pictures even with my spouse. In my mind, if I ever became famous, it would come back to haunt me.

The world-wide problem is that we have forgotten God's commandments, laws and statues on how we are to gouvern ourselves. Man thinks he can gouvern himself and that he can get away with anything. One way or another it will surface because when you do something that is illicit, you will get caught and if you don't in this life you will when you stand before God at Judgement Day.

Think about it..when you obey road laws or any human law, you are safe, protected and only good comes to you. If you break any law you pay the price.

So, if you let your LUST govern you and you break the Spiritual Law, you will pay the price. If anyone has notice, more and more everyday people are being brought out in the open like never before and this is just the begining.

Anyone at this moment calling him scum etc..may be right..but if we went into your past..would it be clean? Would nothing at all would be found? Doesn't have to sex, it could be a petty theft, being unkind to someone, abusing someone, lying, etc. How many have gone to buy their groceries and taken a grape? It may seem nothing to you but it is stealing. My x husband is an alcoholic, he went to buy something to eat and he hadn't taken a basket, having bought more than he though he would and he was tipsy, he put the garlic in his pocket and forgot to take it out when he went to pay. He got arrested even though he explained and went before a judge and paid a fine. People might scoff at this..but its not the amount or the size..it's the ACT.

NOONE..not even me can critize Mr. Letterman because I can't throw any stones at him as I am a sinner too. I've done things before becoming a Christian, thinking that it was *okay*, I was my own boss and could do what I want. Did I cheat, sure I did and I'm sure not many on here critizing him, hasn't and even virtual sex online is cheating or phone-sex.

Jesus said just looking at a woman you already commited adultery because you keep lusting and your feet directs you to do it.

When you disobey God's laws, you will pay for it one way or another as well as human laws.

Should he be critized? Maybe, but only by those who are without sin, who have never broken any kind of law themselves. So what does it mean. No one can critize him because no one has white hands.

If he commited pedophila, abuse etc..then I would critize. He had sex just as millions have done and are doing it illicitly at this very moment. The only one who can truly critize him is God and then if he repents and never does it again God will forgive him.

One must always look at their lives before judging others.

October 3, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  49. Bibabird

I think it is fine as long as it is among two adults who consent to it. I do not think it is proper when it is betwwen an employee and his/her direct boiss as it can interfere with performance and the job function as a whole

October 3, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  50. Marie Jacqueline

Everyone who says that mutual consent between two adults isn't worng..are blinded to the fact..that if it wasn't wrong..it wouldn't cause all this media attention and no one would get blackmailed!

Everyone has forgotten that sex was given by God for two MARRIED persons to fill the earth and enjoy each other. Sex was given to Bond a man and a woman..not to do as you wish.

If sex between two people who are constentual..then adultry, infidelity, fornication, homosexuality wouldn't be condemned by God and wouldn't have been ..in the past..punished by law.

In the past you could be jailed for doing this. You could be excommunicated, flogged and in the long ago past even stoned to death.

Why ..because it was against God's laws. Not to deprive us but to protect us.

No one could blackmail anyone if everyone kept the law of having sex just when you are married and keep it in the marriage.

The only ones that can critizie David Letterman or anyone are only those who have never slept out of marriage.

Can I condemn him? Nope, because before I accepted to obey God's laws I was having sex out of marriage with who I pleased, when I pleased and it was nobody's business.

It would be interesting that David Letterman would have a detective check on his blackmailer's past..probably find some very interesting stuff..maybe infidelity, adultery, and much more.

Should he lose his job? Why? He publicly confessed he did have sex in the past..if he isn't doing it anymore then why should he lose his job? If he is a faithful husband, then like any of us, he should be forgiven, especially it took guts to admit it to the world that he is just like any of us..a sinner.

NO ONE CAN THROW THE FIRST STONE.

October 4, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  51. Jill

In regards to repealing the "don't ask don't tell" policy in the military.

It is about time that President O'bama looks at this and moves forward, not for the sake of "keeping promises" but for the sake of common sense. There are many of us in the Gay and Lesbian community who have served our country with pride and dignity. Why? because it was the right and patriot thing to do for our country. However, we have/ had to hide who we really are/were. You know the saying "once a Marine, always a Marine"? Well, there are many types of men and women that make up the Marine Corps and they are still Marines. What I do not like is that in this past week both President O'bama and Harry Reid have added to comments they made, "Especially with being involved with 2 wars". I hope and pray that this move is not being considered just to have people in place but because they understand that we in the GLBT community are upstanding, commited, patriotic US citizens that can serve our country with pride, dignity and excellance.

October 11, 2009 at 6:54 am |