Today on CNN Newsroom

October 10th, 2009

Will you get the H1N1 vaccine?

To Vaccinate or Not: Some Wary on H1N1 Choice

Many parents are discussing their skepticism of the H1N1 vaccine. It's being distributed as a nasal spray this week, and will arrive next week in injection form, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Two key issues for skeptics are the safety of vaccine and their own vulnerability.

The CDC and other public health authorities say the new vaccine is safe. It is encouraging everyone to get it, especially those in high risk groups. But experts acknowledge that many people struggle with the decision.

Are you going to get the vaccine or let your child get it? Post your comments below. We may use some of them this morning in the CNN Newsroom.

Post by:
Filed under: In the Newsroom
  1. vaccinehellno

Hell no. Several medical experts have already conceded that the "vaccine" is more dangerous than H1N1

October 10, 2009 at 6:10 am |
  2. Lori

I won't be getting the h1n1 shot. People that have had it state that it isn't any worse than the regular flu. We need to rely more on our natural immune systems instead of running to the doctor every time we feel sick. But, please note, I am not under 5, over 60 or pregnant. If I were in an "at risk" group for severe reaction, my opinion might be different.

October 10, 2009 at 6:13 am |
  3. Ron Caron

I'm 45 and have some moderate health issues that could be impacted if I were to get the flu. I have an appt in a few weeks with my doctor to get both the seasonal and H1N1 flu shots. I personally think that public places like the supermarket are breading grounds for germs and there is not enough hand sanitizer in the world to protect us from the viruses you might be exposed to there.

October 10, 2009 at 6:18 am |
  4. merinda

My daughter is 13 and has crohn's disease. She is on immuno suppresent drugs and cannot take a chance of getting sick. I will make sure she gets her flu shots, but not the inhaled one as I feel that is to dangerous for her and would be against her doctor's advice. When there is a H1N1 injection she will get it. I never used to get flu shots for me but I figure if she has to have flu shots then I will get mine with her. Its our "thing" and we usually get them with each other and then go celebrate. Lol, lunch and a pair of jeans!

October 10, 2009 at 6:34 am |
  5. Ian Prescott

I thought that the Jackson 5 impersonators you showed on you're
    newscast was racist.

October 10, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  6. Ken Brown

Hey Betty,
    The blackface performance in Australia says a lot about the status of race relations between the whites and the aborigines. Let's be real, they would not have been on television in America.

October 10, 2009 at 6:59 am |
  7. Ian Prescott

Yes Iwill be getting the H1N1 vaccine.

October 10, 2009 at 7:05 am |
  8. Ulysses McDowell

Not getting any shot, Betty. I'm just taking my vitamin C as I do beginning each Fall.

Ulysses
    Charlotte, NC

October 10, 2009 at 7:31 am |
  9. Candy Perala

yes, I will get the H1N1 vaccine for my protection and for the protection of my health care clients. We all need to stand up and help controll the spread of this pandemic.

October 10, 2009 at 7:39 am |
  10. Mac K- Florida

Why haven't the news organizations addressed the 1976 swine flu outbreak, the vaccine, and the incidence of Guillain Barre Syndrome in some who were vaccinated? There is a whole page on the CDC web site devoted to information about it:

I will not be getting the vaccine because medical researchers were never able to determine why some people got this Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS), and since this new vaccine is based on that old vaccine (and was rushed through to production), I can't take the risk of getting a syndrome that is much worse than the flu and especially since I have no health insurance and the costs of GBS are bankrupting. I will not be vaccinating my teen either. If the flu reaches epidemic proportions in our local area, our plan is to hunker down in our home and avoid people. We can homeschool our son, we have a big garden of food, and can take care of ourselves until the threat passes.

October 10, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  11. Mac K- Florida

Why did some people develop GBS after they received the 1976 swine flu vaccine?
    The Institute of Medicine (IOM) conducted a thorough scientific review in 2003 and concluded that people who received the 1976 swine influenza vaccine had a slight increased risk for developing GBS. Scientists have multiple theories on why this increased risk may have occurred, but the exact reason for this association remains unknown.

These vaccination programs seem too experimental to me and designed more to collect data on the AFTER effects of vaccination. Too much risk for me given that my odds of getting the swine flu and dying from it are pretty low. Ten years from now, what kind of adverse reactions from these vaccines will people be suffering from? And we all know no one will be held accountable for any adverse reaction. Victims just become a statistic in some report somewhere and are left holding the bag financially and medically.

October 10, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  12. Ken

No, we will not.

A lot of talk on radio talk shows have included several facts that do not get discussed on CNN. These contribute to the concerns people have.

The fact that more adjuvant is used in Swine Flu vaccine than normally used in vaccines (this is treated as a thinner and filler to stretch the number of vaccines that can be produced). Since there is less viral (dead or living) agent in the shot, the adjuvant kicks up the immune response to amplify the effect. There is demonstrable evidence (accounts) of this causing permanent auto-immune conditions or acute immune responses that damage the brain, nervous system or various organs.

Then there is the fact that the nasal spray (the first and currently only version available) is a LIVE H1N1 (yes, weakened) virus in this. Right in the manufacturer's documentation it explains that it means you can be contagious for 2 weeks after getting it by sneezing. It also states it has not been tested on pregnant women and should not automatically be given to them. Finally, the documentation also reveals a concern of the syndrome called Guillain-Barré.

I think people have a right to be concerned and wary.

October 10, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  13. Deb Desmond

I get a flu shot every year. No, I'm not afraid of the H1N1 flu shot. I'm grateful for it! If I still had small children, I would definitely get them the shot.

October 10, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  14. Dustin

Absolutely not! The H1N1 is composed of things not even tested. I've done my research and found that this vaccine has over 1000 times the amount of Mercury, labeled as a preservative called Thimerosal, that the FDA recommends in food. This is being injected into our children! What is the government thinking?

October 10, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  15. Kristin, Danville, CA

Betty,

Yes, I'm going to get the shot as soon as I'm eligible. I've gone back to college to launch career #2 and will be around students that are in the vulnerable age group.

If I had kids, I'd encourage them to get the H1N1 shot, too.

Kristin

October 10, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  16. Larry

Absolutely yes. The issue has now been politicized by the Conservatives as proven by Limbaugh's comments. Their (Limbaugh, Hanniity, and Beck) desire to destroy our President is terrifying.

October 10, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  17. Dustin

Also the CDC is expectiing the vaccine to kill or cause very serious side effects in over 30,000 Americans. CDC also only expects that the vaccine will only work on 2-3 out of 10 people.

October 10, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  18. Jim Gills

I already have gotten my seasonal flu shot and am on a list to be called when my Dr gets the H1N1 vaccine. I am 63 and have asthma, but I would get the shot even if I wasn't in a high risk group. I don't feel there is any danger in the vaccine and I feel that anyone in a high risk group should get the shot, especially parents with children or you are gambling with your life or the lives of your children.

October 10, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  19. Mary Kish

Yes I will get the H1N1 vaccine because I have COPD and am old as dirt..and I hear all these young mothers who say they will not get their children their shots..you might want to ask the if their child should die because of their choice ..how will they feel then..the chances of their child getting this flu is better than any chance of them getting a side effect from the drug..God help them..and protect their children.

October 10, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  20. Shawn

Yes I will.

I think the question that you should be asking is, "What is the criteria that helps you decided if something is safe?"

October 10, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  21. Paul Harris MD

Betty, the largest concern I have about the H1N1 flu AND the vaccine is the lack of FACTS. It seems there are many people with great skill in medicine that created this vaccine for us in record time but none of them seem capable of a conversation that doesn't sound like a Legal Disclaimer ! What the Public should have been told from the beginning of the battle AGAINST the new vaccine. is that the only difference between this vaccine and the annual Type A Flu vaccine is the actual variant of the Flu. Thimerasol the mercury containing preservative, is in all multi-dose flu vaccine vials, not simply the H1N1 vaccine.
    I wouldn't want any of my family to receive the nasal spray vaccine which has only been proven 31% effective in the best clinical trial and is a live virus! I will certainly get the H1N1 vaccine this year...but I will wait for the shot to come out later this month!

October 10, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  22. Clarence

Will I get N1H1.I do not know,but I sure hope so.
    I would love to get this flu,so that I could prove that it is not as bad as they have made it.
    I mean if they would stop manipulating these viruses in the name of profit we would not have to deal with them.
    Clarence

October 10, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  23. Justin

Since the start of the outbreak we have had the same number of people in America "die of swine flu" as the number of people who have "won over a million dollars in a lottery". My question is why are we making such a huge deal of this??? More people have died crossing the street or have been killed in a car crash but you don't hear "Betty" asking if you are going to stop crossing the street or not ride in a vehicle.

Signed,
    Keeping it Real

October 10, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  24. Grouper

October 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  25. Ed Rudder

I will get the vaccine. I'll take my chances with the vaccine over that of the swine flu.

October 10, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  26. Marisa

The media needs to quit cheerleading for this vaccine. Why, if it's as safe as all of these health professionals claim, has the vaccine makers been given immunity from lawsuits? Vioxx was safe at one point. So was fen-fen. Enough said.

October 10, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  27. AJ

Yes, I will be getting the H1N1 shot and will be recommending that my family get the shot as well. The truth is that this vaccine is made in the same way that the seasonal flu shot is made. Had the manufacturers known about the 2009 H1N1 strain earlier, this would have been in the seasonal flu "recipe," and it would not even be an issue. CNN should be reporting the facts about this vaccine and not contributing to the hype. It is a matter of life and death for some people.

October 10, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  28. Rick

I will definitely get the H1N1 vaccine. I serve in the military and I've been inoculated against all kind of nasties and I'm grateful to the scientists that have developed these vaccines (remember the anthrax scare). I line up for every shot I can get! To all the doomsday naysayers out there who mistrust the government, I have a question for you:

How do you know that H1N1 wasn't developed by some government to weed out the population?

Too funny, but it's not. Unfortunately, your irresponsible "decision" (which is not science based, only emotion based), puts others at risk.

October 10, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  29. nick rinaldi

Why don't we View the numbers from Australia ?They Vaccinated 10 days ago.I think the number was somewhere around 15 Mil.What are the early analysis?

October 10, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  30. Michael

No way, and I tell everyone not to either. The vaccine is very similar to the one that caused cases of paralysis back in the Swine Flu hype of the 70's, and the outbreak itself turned out to be insignificant. Testing as with most other vaccines does not take into account long term reactions that happen months or years after the jab is given. Flu shots in general have pot luck effectiveness, Yes it is sad when anyone dies, but how come the government is not concerned about the tens of thousands of people who die every year from Pneumonia. This is just a big-pharma government money grab!

October 10, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  31. Yvonne

Betty,
    My family of three will not take the flu shot. We are building up our immunity and practising good hygiene. No health care person talks about building one's immunity, only about hygiene. It is posible to build your immunity and we feel sure we can try that first.

October 10, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  32. Colt

Is this news, or a social studies class? I'm 26 and won't be getting the vaccine anytime soon.

October 10, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  33. Diane Snider

Dear Betty, Can you please address some of the real concerns re:H1N1 vaccine. #1 Does the use of nasal delivery of the vaccine, due to viral shedding, increase the spreading and mutation of the flu (live virus).? #2 Five mfgrs. are goiing to mfg. the vaccine...3 of which are using SQUALENE (and other adjuvants) in their vaccine. The adjuvant Squalene has not been approved for use, has not been adaquately tested, and HAS been linked to the Gulf War Syndrome. .Squalene is known to cause rhumatoid arthritis and autoimmune diseases. #3 Will the mfgs. of the vaccine send the adjuvant SQUALENE to the distribution sites to be mixed with the vaccine to make it go farther, and thereby allowing themselves the loopehole to say , "we do not hve SQUALENE in our vaccine.Thanks for your answer

October 10, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  34. Alice Alley

No, neither I or my husband will get either flu shot. My husband's eyesight was seriously damaged by a drug to improve his heart rythmn. We don't trust big pharma. With all the cancer and other health problems in the country I don't think the publics' food supply has been protected. I feel like a guinea pig for genetically modified food, pesticides, and who knows what else. At least getting the shots or not is something I am aware of and can chose. Also, there are effective and cheaper natural choices to allopathic health care that won't be covered with "health reform."

October 10, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  35. Kathy Spooner

We will get both flu shots. I think we've already had H1N1, but flu shots work and the flu SUCKS!!

October 10, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  36. AJ

Just a comment for Ken – there is not any adjuvant in the swine flu shot. Also, if people are concerned about preservatives, there is preservative-free available in the single dose and the LAIV (nasal spray) vaccine. Check this site out for more information on H1N1 vaccine safety: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/vaccine_safety_qa.htm

October 10, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  37. Lisa

I am a little confused about the difference between the regular flu and the H1N1.Here on the military installation that I live on,the Dr.'s do not swab you for it.They told me that it is no worse then the regular flu.So if this is the case,what is the hype about?He also stated that he was pretty sure there have been cases of this flu in our area,but that we just don't know how many because of them not swabing for it.There have recently been 2 deaths in my area.A 13 yr old girl and a 29 yr old woman.Who at what age does this flu (H1N1) most likely affect?I have a 7 yr old who has been diagnosed with seasonal asthma.Should she get the vac?And what if her Dr. on this post won't give it to her?

October 10, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  38. Gina

Absolutely not. I have never received a flu shot and never will and certainly will not submit to the H1N1. It is the flu and I am very disturbed about the fact that the majority of people who are losing their lives to this flu have been suffering from serious adverse health problems prior to acquiring the flu. This fact is not being reported when the statistical information is being released to the general public causing unwarranted fear. People need to eat properly, exercise, take appropriate supplements according to their needs. In addition, these vaccines react differently in each individual, there is no way to tell what side effects any one person will suffer from short or long term.

October 10, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  39. Mike Armstrong TX.

People are more afraid of the shot then they are the flu nobody has any trust in what the government does any more but if people start dying people will be standing in lines to get the shot.

October 10, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  40. John Eberle

Betty, H1N1 Flu Vaccine, Are we again being led down the Primrose Path!!!! When Nancy Pelosi has already absolved the drug companies from any Law Suits regarding this H1N1 Flu Shot, it doesn't take a Brain Surgeon to figure out that there are serious problems with this Vaccine. Some studies indicate that if you get the H1N1 Flu shot, you have double the chance of contracting the H1N1 Flu than those who did not get the Vaccine at all. This Vaccine has been rushed through at the last minute even though there has been plenty of lead time to develop it. None of my family members nor anyone I know will take this Vaccine, by the way, two of our trusted Doctors have also said they will not let their family members get the Vaccine either!
    Have a Nice Day

October 10, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  41. Marilyn Adams

Two of us are working in real estate. We are there working people through life's Crisis & homes that can't be shown because they have the "flu". We are on the "front line" like nurses & doctors. We both due to health issues of diabetes "have" to get the flu shots. I have had them for years, & seem to have a less severe flu when I get it. If I didn't get it, hard to know where I might have been in the past. The thing about this year that I am hearing is compromised individuals are going to be more suseptible to H1N1, thus while I am sitting here with "Shingles" at this moment I would be crazy "not" to get both shots. Of course, I have to wait until I get over this infection to be able to get the shots! Let's hope that I have that opportunity & am well enough to fight it either way. I must get protection from it! Stay healthy folks! Life can be short! Let's hope we all get past these rough days!

October 10, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  42. Damien

Since not enough test have been made to prove that this vaccine is efficient and not dangerous, i don't think so. I think companies just want to make money without evaluating correctly the risks of such a rushing approach.

October 10, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  43. Ken

To AJ, you are a liar or are misinformed. I have read the various brand inserts and the CDC resources.

Alo, I have read this seasons "standard" flu vaccine inserts and CDC info and some of them actuslly have H1N1 in them as well.

It does promoters of the vaccines no good to flat out lie. People can look this info from the manufacturers and CDC up on their own

By the way, trhe H1N1 vaccine is only superficially similar to past typical seasonal f;u vaccines, but levels of the adjuvant squalene and the thimerosol are different. And, as I already mentioned, at least some of this year's "standard" flu vaccine is a cocktail that you will only know has H1N1 in it if you do real research (they aren't telling people, heck there are reports of resistance to letting people see the insert on paper at the vaccination sites too).

By the way; the common cold is a pandemic, so is pneumonia. Where's the panic there?

October 10, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  44. Alice

Also if the swine flu changes and becomes more dangerous, I haven't heard any official say that the vaccine that hasn't changed will be effective on the changed and dangerous virus.

October 10, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  45. dave in des moines

Yes, I am going to get my H1N1 shot. My oncologist mentioned I am in class 5 for getting the shot. It has been 9 years since my last chemo. I used to fear getting pricked by the needle for drawing blood or getting a flu shot. I have been pricked so many times from getting chemo to getting my P.E.T. scan; I no longer flinch whenever getting pricked.
    I sometimes wonder if people are more fearful of getting pricked by the needle than the worries of what complications could happen to them. I figured if I survived chemo, I definitely could survive any H1N1 shot.

October 10, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  46. Ken

Here are some sections of one insert.

6.3 Postmarketing Experience
    Because postmarketing reporting of adverse reactions is voluntary and from a population of
    uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal
    relationship to vaccine exposure. The adverse reactions described have been included in this
    section because they: 1) represent reactions that are known to occur following immunizations
    generally or influenza immunizations specifically; 2) are potentially serious; or 3) have been
    reported frequently. The following adverse reactions also include those identified during
    postapproval use of AFLURIA outside the US since 1985.

Blood and lymphatic system disorders
    Transient thrombocytopenia

Immune system disorders
    Allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock and serum sickness

Nervous system disorders
    Neuralgia, paresthesia, and convulsions; encephalopathy, neuritis or neuropathy, transverse
    myelitis, and GBS

Vascular disorders
    Vasculitis with transient renal involvement

Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders
    Pruritus, urticaria, and rash

General disorders and administration site conditions
    Influenza-like illness (e.g., pyrexia, chills, headache, malaise, myalgia), injection-site
    inflammation (e.g., pain, erythema, swelling, warmth), and induration

6.4 Other Adverse Reactions Associated With Influenza Vaccination
    Anaphylaxis has been reported after administration of AFLURIA. Although AFLURIA and
    Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine contain only a limited quantity of egg protein,
    this protein can induce immediate hypersensitivity reactions among persons who have severe
    egg allergy. Allergic reactions include hives, angioedema, allergic asthma, and systemic
    anaphylaxis (see Contraindications [4]).

The 1976 swine influenza vaccine was associated with an increased frequency of Guillain-Barré
    Syndrome (GBS). Evidence for a causal relation of GBS with subsequent vaccines prepared
    from other influenza viruses is unclear. If influenza vaccine does pose a risk, it is probably
    slightly more than one additional case per 1 million persons vaccinated.

Neurological disorders temporally associated with influenza vaccination, such as
    encephalopathy, optic neuritis/neuropathy, partial facial paralysis, and brachial plexus
    neuropathy, have been reported.

Microscopic polyangiitis (vasculitis) has been reported temporally associated with influenza
    vaccination.

...

8.1 Pregnancy
    Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with Influenza A
    (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine or AFLURIA. It is also not known whether these vaccines
    can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction
    capacity. Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine should be given to a pregnant woman
    only if clearly needed.

8.3 Nursing Mothers
    Neither Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine nor AFLURIA has been evaluated in
    nursing mothers. It is not known whether Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine or
    AFLURIA is excreted in human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in human milk,
    caution should be exercised when Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine is
    administered to a nursing woman.

8.4 Pediatric Use
    Neither Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine nor AFLURIA
    has been evaluated in
    children. Safety and effectiveness in the pediatric population have not been established.

October 10, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  47. Sooner

Yes I will after the high risk groups receive theirs first and if any vaccine is left over.
    Already got the seasonal shot as usual. My children are up and out of the home, but if I were in charge again of my 4 children they would all be given the vaccine. I could not live with myself if one would contract H1N1 and died knowing I could have done something to prevent it. All of my 5 grandchildren have received H1N1 with no ill effects.

October 10, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  48. Bear

Naw, I'll take my chances.

October 10, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  49. SCARED

I am a healthy HIV POSITIVE person, but my primary care physician says that they cannot say what the reactions will be for people in my catagory, especially with suppressed immune system BUT they did say the risk of getting the flu far out way the choices....guess I am getting it anyway!!

October 10, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  50. Joeman

I am a high school teacher. The virus is dangerous to the students who attend school. Since I don't want to get it and since i don't want to spread it, I'll definitely get the H1N1 virus once it's out in shot form. I'm 52 yo, so I'm too old to get the attenuated live virus version of the vaccine. I've also taken the seasonal flu vaccine already.

October 11, 2009 at 6:36 am |
  51. Rex

I'm a school administrator. My wife is a waitress. I can't think of many more work groups that should be more concerned about the flu. What about pilots and flight attendants? Pass the vaccine please.

October 11, 2009 at 7:14 am |
  52. brian

NO WAY! this is going to be a HUGE deal. worst than 911. this is like Lambs to Slaughter!

October 12, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  53. Asia James

Many people are concerned about getting the H1N1 flu shot. Some experts, such as the CDC, have confirmed that that flu shot is “safe,” but many more have concluded it is not. Vaccines are not things to take lightly. Many people are better off before they get the shot than after. I have been keeping myself healthy, but I would get the shot if it was necessary. Some say you can’t run to the doctor every time you are sick, but this flu is becoming a pandemic. I am going to do all that I can to make sure that this flu does not get to me. It is better to take a small risk with the vaccine now, than battle with a deadly flu later.

October 12, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  54. Michael

Fortunately, some smart scientists at the FDA did not approve the oil and water adjuvants, although Novartis is still working hard to get their MF59 Squalene adjuvant approved for the Swine Flu vaccine. HHS puchased almost 1/2 billion dollars of it, and if the Pandemic moves up to a level of declared emergency, it could be used without approval. There is a very probable connection of Squalene adjuvants to the ghastly autoimmune conditions of Gulf War Syndrome, even though the DOD and Novartis will deny this until their final breath. Read the book 'Vaccine A' . Injected Squalene emulsion is commonly used to induce autoimmune disease in experimental animals. If this adjuvant is injected into millions of people the results could be apocalyptic.

October 12, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  55. Kristin

I was considering getting my kids flu shots this year for the seasonal flu and h1n1 but after last week I got my four year old the nasal spray of the seasonal flu vaccine and the next day he had a seizure from a temp of 102.8. The doc said he had the flu and now I have to take him to a nuerologist because his seizure was over 15 minutes long and could have caused permanent damage. Because my son has developmental learning delays, that siezure makes him at high risk for epilepsy now. Thank You flu vaccine for almost killing my child... I will be sure to never get my children vaccinated for any type of flu ever again. Vitams and Hygiene and we will be fine if not then, we all have to die sometime... and I like where I am going so I am OK.

October 18, 2009 at 2:00 am |
  56. melissa

I'm on the fence. I'm pregnant. My 2.5 y.o. daughter had it 4 days ago in nasal spray form. 2 days after she had the shot I began to experience mild flu symptoms such as sore throat, headache and mild nausea. The dr. had said it was safe for for a pregnant person in the household to be around her. I'm in close contact with her all the time. She has a runny nose and now I'm afraid she could be spread the flu to me or other toddlers in her class. We both felt fine before she had the spray. I get regular flu shots every year without side effects, but the live virus makes me very nervous and I'm not really sure how well they have "tested" against all risks.

October 19, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  57. jacquie

I got my 3 year old his today it was the nose inhaler and he is fine no side effects and he isn't sick!! I will get it myself as soon as it is available for me but he is only 3 he gets a cold and he winds up in the hospital i feel the diease would kill him he needed to get immunized i need to protect him it's my job as his mom! I pray i did the right thing no one really knows what is right or wrong these days one person says do this next says don't so I had to use instinct common sense and what i felt needed to be done!

November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |