Today on CNN Newsroom

October 12th, 2009

Texting & Driving

Eighteen states have banned texting by all drivers, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Nine more states have banned texting by young drivers (in some states that means under age 18, in others, 21). And it seems like every other state is talking about instituting some kind of ban.

In Oklahoma, a group of 20 high school juniors and seniors got a unique look at the challenges of texting while driving. They spent a day at a precision driving school and had to drive through an obstacle course while texting, changing the settings on their iPods, or eating. At 10:30 we’ll talk to one of those students and the superintendent of the driving school to see how things went.

Meantime we want to hear from you.

Do you think texting and driving is dangerous? If so, do you do it anyway? Post your comments here.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Ken

Stop telling me what I can do in my car! I think more things are taken away from us every day. Texting is something that comes with modern technology. Leave it alone.

October 12, 2009 at 8:01 am |
  2. Pauly

Of course texting while driving is dangerous. Anything that takes your eyes off the road & distracts you from what is going on around you is dangerous! Texting isn't only dangerous for young drivers but all drivers. So is talking on a cell phone, reading, eating, driving under the influence, etc but people continue to do these & other things. Which is why our roads have become so dangerous!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 8:28 am |
  3. Dave

October 12, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  4. Tre`Von

Yes texting while driving is dangerous, I've had many near miss accidents due to it; however I still continue to text while driving.

October 12, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  5. rich

any distraction that could harm others or your passengers, you just shouldn't do it. Imagine explaining to a loved one the loss they faced because of a text message.

October 12, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  6. Steven L.

As a motorcyclist, I frequently have deal with people who text and drive. They are frequently more dangerous and almost completely oblivious to their surroundings. Having had several close calls I believe removing as many distractions from the driver would be best.

October 12, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  7. louis wesler

Hello heidi,

I have almost been hit twice on the freeway because of cell phones or texting, thank god i have aloud horn 🙂

October 12, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  8. Aspen

I do think it is a dangerous thing... but so is eating and listenning to music... I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Here Texting and cellphone use while driving, is illegal and comes with a hefty fine if caught! at the present time the police have taken an educational phase and will not be issuing tickets officially until february. It is about time considering people run lights and stop signs because they are too busy on their cell phones while texting and/or speaking!

October 12, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  9. Steve

Texting while driving should be banned in all states as a DUI comparable offense.

October 12, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  10. J.C.

I've seen people do some pretty outrageous things while driving: eating, applying makeup, putting on clothes and some other activities that are not fit to mention in polite company. It's not safe to text while walking let alone driving. It"s equivalent to being drunk so it should NOT be allowed. If they were only putting themselves at risk it would be one thing, but others suffer the consequences of their stupidity!

October 12, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  11. Jennifer

I knew it was dangerous, but still I constantly texted while driving (sometimes with my knee, so I could text and change CDs). Finally it caught up with me and I'm lucky to be alive from the car accident that resulted from my being distracted by texting. I

October 12, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  12. Jeff

I know texting while driving is dangerous, but i still do it. Most of the time I'm texting, I'll either be at at a stop light or stop sign rather then doing 80mph down I-95.

October 12, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  13. Grace

I think texting and other multiple tasks during driving a car is way dangerous! But however maybe can limit to the texting for in case of emergencies, or pull over and text.

October 12, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  14. Kane

Texting while driving is extremely dangerous, whether it be a car, bus or train. It's more dangerous than talking on the phone, and that's exceptionally scary. Why risk others' lives for something so trivial?

October 12, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  15. Chantel Brannon

I live in Arizona and am in the pharmaceutical sales and in my car getting calls, emails and texting throughout the day. I have three children who I demand not to text or I will shut their phones off. I find myself a hypocrite..... If there was a law, it would save lives. I will not text again; I have to lead by example. Some of us can barely drive without being on the phone regardless letting texting or talking on the phone increase an accident risk..

October 12, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  16. Patrick

Heidi-

As a Psychologist who has read the research on texting and driving, the dangers to the driver and those on the road with him or her are too high. Studies show a similar amount of impairment between drivers at the legal alcohol limit and those on a cell phone while driving...texting is even more of a distraction, and any state that is looking to ban this for the protection of young people is doing the right thing.

October 12, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  17. Greg Beecham

I don't think texting should be banned–I think all cell phone use should be banned. I see potential disasters every day. Age should have nothing to do with it. Do I use a cell phone while driving? It would be very hipocritical of me it I did because I am quite vocal about cell phone use while driving (or flying or riding a motorcycle or driving a locomotive).

October 12, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  18. Steve Beai

Of course it's dangerous and no I don't. No message is more important than your life. Pull over and text. Everyone got along fine 10 years ago without this technology. Communication has actually gotten worse. I've seen people standing ten feet apart texting EACH OTHER. That's not hip; it's stupid.

Steve
    Atchison, KS

October 12, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  19. SANDRA

Yes, Texting while driving is dagerous. But, you are still going to get the defiant people that will do it anyway. I don't understand why they just can't use hands free devices. Why is there the need to text and drive?

October 12, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  20. Mark

Texting while driving? Insane! Talking on a cell phone while driving? Not much better!

It is a common sight. Watching drivers "attempting" to operate a vehicle while in conversation.

October 12, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  21. Amanda

The same people that get into an accident while talking on the phone and the same people that get into an accident talking to the passenger in the seat next to them. Some people forget that driving is the number one priority when you're driving and they do other things and they are the people getting in accidents. If you can do 3 things at once including driving because you realize that the driving part is the only priority, it's fine. By the way, that little video you showed with the teens weaving through the cones, first, no one has to drive like that on a real road, second, teens who are just learning to drive is not a good concensus for people that have been driving for years and could probably drive, eat, and talk on the phone while taking a nap. Obviously an exageration but I think you get my point.

October 12, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  22. BJ

Texting is more dangerous than any other thing you can do while driving - except maybe putting a paper bag over your head. Eating, applying make-up, tying up one of your hands with a cell phone or cigarette ... kinda stupid: Texting; incredibly stupid and irresponsible. It should be illegal. Watch that British PSA! A thousand times!

October 12, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  23. Bill

When driving your primary (if not total) focus should be on driving. You must be defensive. If you are texting or involved with other electronic devices, you are not giving proper attention to your driving. You can not drive defensively and your are dangerous to yourself and others on the road. Please don't do it!

October 12, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  24. Dennis Reid

Heidi,

I have actually dodged and ran off the road from people using a hand held device. I do not use a hand held or text while driving. I cannot believe that the government hasn't banned hand held and texting.

October 12, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  25. Harold M. (Oklahoma City, OK)

It is irresponsible for anyone to send text messages while their vehicle is moving. I respond to my text message while in my car but only if my vehicle is at a complete stop while waiting for a light change. It all comes down to common sense.

October 12, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  26. Judy S.

I think it should be against the law to do texting while driving. I do not do it myself. I was almost hit by a car comming towards me cause the driver was texting and was comming over the centerline. Very Scarry

Judy S.

October 12, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  27. Hudson Albert

I am not sure driving while texting (DWT) is all that dangerous. I think it is whether you know how to drive or you don’t. Some people are multitasking and they are good at it. If they start regulating DWT, soon driving while eating will be an offense. They have far less traffic regulations in Europe and yet we have more accidents than half of Europe combined. The issue is not DWT; we need better driving learning methods before we authorize drivers to get behind the wheel.

October 12, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  28. Brad

It's not an office, or a slumber party. It's an automobile. Grow up and talk to your friends when you get out of the car. You don't need to be available 24 hours a day. It's not about your personal freedom to do whatever you want in your car, it's about my freedom to not have to learn to walk again because you're too busy tweeting to notice that there are other people on the road.

October 12, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  29. Jasmine

My Iphone is my life: facebook, twitter, Texting, turn by turn directions, checking email, even talking on the phone while driving is very dangerous. Yet, I still do it!
    I need to keep my focus and so does everyone else–insurance is high enough and most drivers in Miami dont have insurance! I simply tell myself "I can't afford to not pay attention".

I am trying to stop-I have to place my phone in my purse "out of side out of mind"

October 12, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  30. Don Rice

Hedie, I ride a motorcycle and a cell phone is a bikes worst nightmare. I have almost been ran over twice by drivers running stop lights at intersections while using their phones. I think it should be against the law for the phone to be in use when the car is moving and enforced. This has no doubt already many people.

October 12, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  31. Todd, State College, Pa.

The level of danger varies depending on what kind of road you're driving on at the time, how many other cars are around you, how long of a text it is, and what YOUR level of driving skill is. Let's face it, there are some people out there that shouldn't even be on the road let alone be engaging in ANY other activity while behind the wheel. Texting is as dangerous as searching through your Ipod or looking through the bottom of the bag for loose fries because either way you're taking your eyes off the road and being distracted. Are they going to make doing anything other than 'hands on the wheel' driving illegal? And how are they really going to enforce those things? I'm in the same boat with a lot of people who ask, "Where does it stop?".

I text very minimally when driving and only when it's at the safest, and I use that term loosely, moment to do so. I'll wait until sitting at a red light if possible and certainly not on a congested highway doing 65.

October 12, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  32. Val Carano

How can you ask this question?! This is not a matter of opinion! It's so obvious that texting is one of the worst things a person can do while driving. If your not watching the road, you're not being a responsible driver.

October 12, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  33. I. Lee

Texting while driving should most definitely be banned. A few weeks ago our 13-year old granddaughter was killed by a woman who went through a red stop light whilst texting. Life will never be the same again our family.

October 12, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  34. michael armstrong sr.

Texting and talking while driving is the same as drinking and driving .

October 12, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  35. Gordon McDonald

Using the handheld devices to do anything while driving is dangerous and the statistics show it. ALL states should make it illegal and it should be enforced. I see people with a cell phone to their ear and/or looking down (obviously texting) every day. Very often they are the ones running red lights, making turns right in front of you, following to closely, etc. Ban them from the road! The real problem is the notion that the messages being conveyed are so important that they must be sent right now!

October 12, 2009 at 9:59 am |
  36. Matthew Johnson

Yes, texting should be illegal. It is more distracting than talking on the phone. I am guilty of texting, but feel incredibly guilty for doing so. If texting were made illegal, it would happen much less and hopefully save lives.

October 12, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  37. Lisa

This texting while driving should be treated as if it were drunk driving. Why in the world would someone put others in danger just to text someone. This is a serious matter and anyone who is caught doing should be fined $500 and up. If you get caught numerous amount of times doing the same thing, suspend their license, or better yet jail time. This is serious and in the state of Texas I haven't heard of any laws being passed.

October 12, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  38. Jessica Brennan

I am actually 12 and I believe that texting while driving is very dangerous. While driving you may have a text from a friend and you may want to reply and as you take your eyes of the steering wheel, there could be a major accident. Many people can get hurt. The driver of the other car who got in the crash because of your silly choice and their passenger. You also get hurt, so does your passenger. Some other people may have other things to share but heres my comment on texting and driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  39. taylor jackson

Don't be texting or talking in Ontario,Canada...it will be law in February 2010.The fines start at $500 and go up to $5000 !Yikes...but it's about time.They(police)will be giving warnings until the new year.
    I'm personally thrilled to many people are getting hurt or even killed.I have a teenage daughter and she does not drive and text or talk...we have a tracker iin the car for our phones and we know if the phone has been used while the engine is on.(My husband got the chip in the states and I'm not sure where)

October 12, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  40. John

Cell phones are a necessary form of communication today. There are no pay phones any more, nor do stores let people use the phone. If you can't call someone to convey a message – such as "I'm lost", then that leaves only texting.

October 12, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  41. Robert Lake,MI

Of course its dangerous and it should be criminal! One should lose their priviledge to drive if caught! To me texting is one of the dumbest things there is. I asked my daughter in law why she texts and she said without any hesitation she textsa at work because she`s not allowed to use her cell phone????? what part of not using her cell phone does she not understand? Its ridiculas, if you have to type a message in fear of someone hearing what you have to say then just maybe you shouldnt be communicating at that time! It has to be the most worthless piece of technology out right now and I cant wait till its not a fad anymore! By the way kids love it because they can live their make belief lives and swear and talk about things that they shouldnt be talking about to begin with and parents couldnt be anymore ignorant to their games!

October 12, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  42. Tyrone

Yes it is dangerous. However I still do it, but only at red lights.

October 12, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  43. Anton

Personally, I text and drive, but only when I know that there's no imminenta danger on the road. Tetxting and driving is fine as long as you are responsible about it.

October 12, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  44. Mike from WY

Hey Heidi,

I do text while driving, I find it necessary to be connected especially during business hours. However, I will admit it is very distracting. I think texting while driving is more dangerous than drunk driving, but I guess my selfishness keeps me doing it!

October 12, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  45. Rick

Very Dangerous. I do not know how many ALMOST accidents I have had. I am in sales and have the need to be responsive. I need to stop but do not. Kinda like smoking, you know its going to kill you but you keep it up.

October 12, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  46. Rita M Dirrane

Anything that takes your eyes off the road is dangerous. Texting is wrong for that reason but also it takes our thought processes that we use to for navigating off the road to concentrate on what was texted or to formulate how to respond, in addition to the emotion that accompanies the text, i.e., anger, joy, etc.

October 12, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  47. Jan

Yes, it is dangerous. Yes it should be illegal. Yes, I do it, however it can be done carefully with short messages at red lights and stopped traffic.

October 12, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  48. Shanna

Yes I do believe texting and driving is dangerous. Thats like an old person driving and talking on the phone. Yes I do text and drive. My eyes never leave the road. I have it down to a t to text without looking at my phone.

October 12, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  49. Rachel

Extremely Dangerous, and I still do it. If you can't text and drive, don't drive.

October 12, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  50. Patrick

I think texting while driving can be dangerous. Persoanlly I can text without looking at my phone for the most part, much like you would type on a computer. I do notice my driving becomes less safe but I will only text when on straight roads when no other cars are around me. I have a problem with people just talking about texting while driving. If you are going to talk about texting while driving, we also need to address eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, and reading while driving. They are all distracting and could be potentially dangerous. Distractions are not just a "teen problem".

October 12, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  51. Moke

I think that people should not text and drive. I think that everyone should save up their money and buy the new iPhone 3gs, that way you have voice command and use a bluetooth headset so that they don't ever have to touch their phone while driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  52. Jacques Boucher

Yes texting is dangerous.
    i did it a few times and after i almost had a mojor accident because of it i stop and copletly turned of my cell phone while driving.

Jacques
    Montreal
    canada

October 12, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  53. Kurt

Honestly its dangerous to text and drive but if u do it when theres little or no traffic around then i don't see a problem with it i do it all the time and i never got in an accident. The government really just wants more things to fine people for to receive more money soon its gonna be don't drive with your phone in the car

October 12, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  54. e148

Cell phones and driving do no t mix. It is very dangerous for anyone to drive and be on a cell phone hands-free or not.I do not text or talk on a cell phone while driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  55. james windings

I actually don't drive but i think it is a bad and terrible thing to text and talk on cellphones. People need to think about there lives and not their popularity. i hope people realize what they are doing by doing this. they are endangering their lives.

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  56. Phil C.

I think texting while driving can be a potentially dangerous distraction while driving. However, it is difficult not to continue to do it when technology has made it convenient to communicate basically anywhere. I have to admit ia text while driving from time to time, but I am nervous about doing it.

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  57. Jerry Randolph

Passing a law against texting while driving should be a no-brainer. What is taking so long.

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  58. Erick Hoxter

Texting and driving is dangerous to an extent but to put anyone to a challenge of texting on a driving course is just idiotic. The ones who are brave enough to text and drive aren't doing it while making turns and weaving and dodging obstacles because they know that that is not possible; but rather they text on straight roads, when there is less traffic. etc etc.

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  59. James Thomson

Auto insurance companies in Canada do not pay when a policyholder has an accident while using a cell phone. U.S. auto insurance companies should do the same. That would put an end to talking, texting and whatever else drivers are doing besides driving. Also, the driving age should be raised to 18.

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  60. FSUAmy

Yes, I think it's dangerous to text and drive. I've almost been in a car accident because of it... And still do it! Shame on me!

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  61. RANDY

Texting while driving is very very dangerious no doubt, anytime you take your eyes off the road for a second is very dangerous because thats how quick an incident can happen so there should be some serious fines for people get caught doing that, iam afraid to do that, i have stopped at the light and text people but i dont even do that anymore i pull to the shoulders then i do texting , thats the smart way to text while your behind the wheel.

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  62. Nancy L. Bert

Living in a rural area might lead one to surmize that the texting of other drivers may have no adverse affect. However, I have several times witnessed an approaching driver suddenly drifting left-of-center, directly into the path of my vehicle. A loud blast of my horn has so far righted the situation. As I passed the other vehicle, looking incredulously at the driver, I noticed he was using his cell phone.

October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  63. Irving

For the love of Jesus, put down your phone and drive!!!

October 12, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  64. Katherine Hayes

Several years ago, before it became a front-burner issue, I distinctly remember a great bumper sticker as I was riding (in the passenger seat) along the Southeast Expressway from Hingham to Boston:

"HANG UP AND DRIVE!"

October 12, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  65. JaQuile

Inexperienced texters should not go for it. I'm 23 and text and drive on a daily basis. I also ride with several people who do the same, and I'm not bothered by it. However, I have had to ask a few people (always over age 30) not to text and drive with me in the car, because they are not experienced enough to control the car and type a text. Texting while driving is not difficult, but if you are not an expert texter, I don't recommend it.

October 12, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  66. Rita

October 12, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  67. Adam Wood

Even if texting while driving is unsafe (which it is) and we are going to continue to do it (because I will) it shouldn't be illegal, they should just make the technology safer!

October 12, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  68. Pete

It is ridiculous to ban texting while driving. People just need to use common sense when texting. For example, don't text with both hands, don't text while in-coming traffic is within 1/2 mile, don't text while rounding a curve, don't text while eating, don't text while reading, etc. Let's not allow governments to take texting away from us because of irresponsibility! Let's keep the roads safe while texting!

Good luck!

October 12, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  69. Bob

Someone who commits vehicular manslaughter because they were texting while driving should be treated like the criminal that they are. There should be no difference in penalty from drunk driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  70. Lew Williams

As a retired Police Sergeant that rode patrol, It is as dangerous, or more dangerous, than driving while under the influence of drugs and or alcohol. The law should ban texting, and the use of cell phones completely! It is just to dangerous, and the stakes are to high! I'm talking about the loss of human life, or serious injury, for a phone call or text?
    You can make a difference! I have! I don't text while driving.
    Lew

October 12, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  71. Epicfawn

I am an above average driver, and I know that texting while driving is very hard to do. In those rare cases when I do "text while driving" I make sure to slow down, and look further down the road so I have more time to react to traffic conditions. But if done correctly, (constantly looking up to make sure your driving straight) someone with good reflexes can "text while drive" with relative saftey. All others should most likely pull over, text, then continue driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  72. Jeff

Ive worked a few wrecks where they were texting. Ride with me and peel somebody out of a car because they were texting.

I do it, but only when Im stopped at a red light or stop sign.

October 12, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  73. Brian Harle

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the dangers of texting,talking on the phone,etc. while driving. I've even seen people reading the newspaper while traveling at 60 mph on the freeway. A national ban on distracted driving with SUBSTANTIAL fines is long overdue.

October 12, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  74. M. Billotte

Most Americans cannot multi-task. I have sat at red lights behind someone on the cell phone (not texting) and had to blow the horn to make them aware the light had changed to green. Texting would tax the brain of the user to the point that it would make he/she a dangerous driver. If I have an emergency, then, and only then, after stopping the vehicle, will I use the cell phone.

October 12, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  75. Kevin A

I'm 19 and i admit to texting while driving. I believe it is dangerous for those who have trouble with their technology. The young drivers of today can text without ever looking at the screen in most cases. And if they do, it's usually for the same amount of time you would check your mirrors, or change radio stations. Both occasions, your eyes are off the road.

October 12, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  76. Papa

WHY, oh why is this an issue we're talking about?! To even begin to think that there is an argument to be made for texting while driving, is to also believe that it's fine to fly down the highway at 80mph while changing your kids diapers! In my opinion, anyone who texts and drives is really just some sort of a thrill seeker, and should have their licenses revoked immediately and permanently.

October 12, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  77. Paul Spottek

Heidi,

Can you water ski and play chess at the same time? Texting and driving each require a specific set of skills, incompatible with each other.

Paul, Red Creek, N Y

October 12, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  78. Garry

I think they should ban under age use of cell phone's like drinking...i had 2 accidents in 1 year due to kids on cell phones they struck me from behind breaking my neck the first time and my shoulder the 2nd time....keep your eyes on the road and not the "LOL"

October 12, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  79. Ricardo Jenkins

Yes, I am frequently a distracted driver either speaking on the phone or worse, reading emails and responding to emails. Iuse my commute time as extended work time. I know that it's dangerous.
    I limit this behavoir to routes that I frequently travel only however I know how stupid it is. My company won't provide me with a pay increase if my insurance rates increase due to an accident. while emailing on their behalf. I would welcome a law against such in PA .

October 12, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  80. Duane

All one needs to confirm the danger of driving and texting is look at the tragedy in northern Minnesota at the end of last week when a carload of teen girls ran out in front of a bus. They're now statistics. The states that have laws against texting, or hand-held cell phone use, tend to make these secondary traffic violations, like out in Washington state. Instead, they require that law enforcement officers have some other primary reason for stopping the violators and tacking on the additional charge relating to text/cell use. Unless and until we curb this epidemic, we'll continue to see traffic accidents, with injuries and fatalities, continue to rise like the statistics for drunk and drugged drivers.

October 12, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  81. lew

Of course texting while driving is dangerous! You're looking down, trying to type on a tiny little phone and spell things correctly when you should be paying attention to the road. Its just as dangerous as talking on the phone, eating, or doing anything that distracts you. Despite this, I still do it. I usually wait till I'm at a stoplight, when I'm in a place where no cars are around me, or if a friend is in my car with me I give them my phone to text for me. If there was a law against this, I think it would be very hard to enforce and would not be very efficient in stopping people from texting. But it would help a little. Car manufacturers should try to invent something for your car that would make this easier (such as bluetooth in your cars for cell phones).

October 12, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  82. Lajuan

I believe texting while driving can cause an accident. Hence this is still speculation. There is a double standard as it pertains to the law that has been written that prohibits such an action. Police officers have laptops inside of their patrol vehicle and they type in license plate numbers while in the midst of traffic. There is no equality under the law if police officers can type on a laptop while in traffic but motorist cannot text while in traffic. Both actions can cause an accident so all should be subject to this rule to further the safety of the American people.

October 12, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  83. Brian

Yea, From NJ I've been living in Louisiana for 13 years. This is the most alcohol friendly state in the country. The other day, I was driving with a beer in my left hand, I was replying to a text with my right hand. I was steering with my knee. I looked up to see that the light had just turned red. If that intersection had a camera, the picture would have been priceless. Realising that I've been very bad, I won't be doing that again.
    Brian

October 12, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  84. Monica Hoover

Heidi,
    In December 2008 my car was struck in the rear by a Hall County employee, driving a county vehicle, while I was stopped at a red light. She was on her cell phone texting. She refused to get off her phone. She said she did not see any damage and left the scene. I got her name from her ID badge and a description of her car. I called the State Police and reported the accident. She admitted being on her phone but was not charged, as there is no law in Georgia against driving and using your cell to call/text. I was amazed at the outcome. I recently moved from the D.C. where it is illegal to use your cell while driving. I think Georgia is very lax in dealing with the problems arising from using a cell phone while driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  85. Todd Harrington

I have seen drivers that belive they can safely text while driving 65 plus miles per hour. I would rather be behind a driver under the influence by far. I have followed people who have drank more than 12 beers and honestly felt far safer then being near a texter. In over 20 years of driving I saw alot of drunk people make it home safe and witnessed most accidents from cell phone users texting

October 12, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  86. Tommy S.

I absolutely believe that texting while diving is dangerous. I've noticed a few people saying things like, "I can do what I want in my car." Thats a ludicrous notion. You can't drive drunk, can you? No, because it impairs your ability to operate your vehicle, which can lead to crashes and sometimes the death of others. Texting while driving also impairs you ability to safely drive your vehicle and can lead to accidents and even deaths. To these people I say get off of your high horse and be more responsible. What you do affects others. That is why smoking is banned everywhere. If these people were to have lost someone they care about because of someone texting while driving, they would be singing a different tune. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  87. FSUAmy

YES! It's dangerous!!! I've been very close to getting into accidents and still do it! Shame on me.

October 12, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  88. John

I do believe texting while driving is very dangerous. However, I also think regulating it with laws has risks. Would guilt be determined by sighting or by GPS and text transmission data? My cell phone recently sent a text I had composed before getting behind the wheel when I had no signal. My phone found a signal and sent the text sometime during my drive without my interraction. My GPS location was in motion at the same time my text was (automatically) being sent. Would that alone make me appear guilty, or would an officer be required to witness a driver typing while moving?

October 12, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  89. Monica Hoover

In response to Ken "leave me alone..." Ken, I just finished my second surgery in three months, all thanks to a driver who was texting rather than watching the road. I think it should be mandatory drivers using a cell phone are charged with contributory negligence.

October 12, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  90. Rita

I have never texted as I do not pay for it but I have adjusted my calendar at times and this is dangerous too. I do it to not forget about an appointment. However, anything that takes our attention off the road is dangerous. As well as it taking our eyes and attenton off the road, texting evokes emotion which can be tranferred to other parts of our body, stiffening, shaking.

October 12, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  91. Sterling Mc Michael

Hi Heidi, Yes texting while driving should be banned. The law requires both hands on the wheel at all times and surely we are all guilty of not all the time doing that but you are totaly distracted with a phone or a sandwich,make up, news paper and lets not forget PETS ON YOUR LAP !!! When is somebody going to do something with that? Is anybody doing stats on this ongoing problem? It frustrates me to no end to see that !
    Please if you see my point I would love to have you address this issue also.

October 12, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  92. Carrie Heath

AS I am teaching my own 16 year old son to drive, this has become a hot topic in our own household and has taught me a lot about my own driving habits. I now keep my cell phone in my back seat while driving – if I can't reach it, I can't make calls or text. My bluetooth does let me answer it after it anounces the incoming phone number, so I know to answer if it is important (i.e. my kids or husband). I have also quit eating behind the wheel – not only is my car a bit cleaner but I find I am eating less junk food since I am making a concienscious effort to stop, even if sitting in my car in the parking lot of the fast food joint du jour, and take 5 to eat something.
    We have decided as a family that banning all electronics from the front seat with the sole exception of the guidance thingy is important to our health and safety. Honestly, we are getting back to chatting with each other in the car and listening to the radio together as well. My 5 year old is happier that I am asking how kindergarten was, my 13 year old is more comfortable chatting in confidence about boys and makeup, and my 16 year old has learned that we do practice what we preach, and maybe his voice and opinion matter a lot more than he had previously realized.

October 12, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  93. Andy Van Abs

As we drive around New England, almost every time we see a car driving extremely erratically, we discover they are dialing a cell, texting, etc.

Early last week, a car swerved across 2 lanes in front of our home, destroyed the mailbox, traveled 200' down the grass on the wrong side of the road, hit a rock, became airborne, landed, and swerved back across the road. It's a miracle no one was hurt. The reason? The driver was texting his girlfriend while driving to work.

So, is texting dangerous? That's actually a pretty silly question, since even the simplest experiments have shown the effects of distractions on driving ability. And texting is about as distracting as anything a driver could be doing (yesterday I saw a man shaving and reading the paper, both while driving in heavy commuter traffic), plus the fact that many of the texters are inexperienced drivers in the first place..

Can anything really be done about it? Absolutely not, any more than preventing eating while driving, reading while driving, talking on cell phones, etc, etc.

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  94. Joann G.

While I feel that all states should prohibit the use of cell phones while driving. Not only texting on your phone is dangerous but you are taking your eyes off the road to make a call as well. Yes, I am guilty of texting while driving and found myself in the other lane when I looked up. I had two children in the car with me. There was a video posted on you tube about texting and driving and after seeing that video, it really hit home for me. I was putting myself, my children, and other drivers in danger.

October 12, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  95. Glenn

I believe texting especially using keypad over keyboard is extremely dangerous. I've seen people with one hand on the phone, the other with a cigarette and the car is a stick shift! Come on people, get a grip(on your steering wheel) if it's so important it can't wait, pull over and let the real drivers travel safely.

October 12, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  96. jim

Of course texting while driving is dangerous, myself i never do it.

Some people claim we are taking away there right, if they believe we are taking there rights. why don't we take away there rights to be rescued from the car?

I work for a company that processes salvage cars totaled in insurance claims. I have seen many cars people have been killed in, some of them due to texting. I once processed a car that 3 young women where killed in when the driver made a u turn in front of a transport truck while on the phone.

I think just like DUI insurance companies should have the power to deny claims if texting while driving caused the accident.

October 12, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  97. John

Of course it's dangerous, but who's enforcing it? How do you enforce it? I now drive for a living and it's amazing how many accidents I prevent each day by anticipating other driver's mistakes, most of which are caused by their inattention and distractions.

October 12, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  98. Kel

DWT...A novice driver, a veteran driver does not change the situation. Distractions such as texting while driving, applying makeup, or watching your portable DVD player while driving! Regardless of how important you think you are it can wait. How safe would you feel knowing the pilot of your flight decides he'll answer a text while on final approach. Remember Drivers Education 101....Both hands on the wheel.

October 12, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  99. Wolf Leonard

I think some if not all adults should take the same "texting while driving" course as the teens at UConn.

October 12, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  100. Joshua Gatere

Texting and driving is not just dangerous but very very dangerous. I used to know this and often promised myself to stop it but continued to text any way because I also received them while driving.I used to think of how stupid it would feel if I caused an accident, and got some one or myself crippled due to doing this foolish thing that could wait for later. I continued doing it though till I heard the dangers annalysed on the NPR radio last week, this annalysis helped me make the best decision I have made for a long time. I am not texting any more ever while driving and have told all my friends the same. I am working on cutting out all cell phone talk and have so far cut out more than 50%. My advice please let the media keep highlighting these dangers and more people will cut all out and yes it should be illegal.

October 12, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  101. Ronna

Hey,

I see police officers with one hand on the wheel, and one hand up to their ear all the time, and that compiled on top of them wearing no seat belt? WHOOA DUDE,,,,, that needs to be checked into.

October 12, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  102. Matt Y

You'd have to be a complete idiot to think texting while driving is safe. If this does happen to be your opinion, you deserve to get into a car accident.

October 12, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  103. Joel

Texting while driving is no more dangerious than eating or applying make-up while driving. If we are going to tell people to stop texting, then we should also tell people to stop eating and applying make-up while driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  104. Melissa

I think that texting while driving should be banned in all states. I also think that parents of teens should not allow them the texting feature on their phones at all. If they never have the feature they will never miss it.

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  105. Sheila

texting is dangerous whilst driving.... but in FL schools, more dangerous is the fact that drivers ed is not available for all students with in the school system... a lottery system is not the best way to handle this!

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  106. Johnny Outlaw

Motorcycles are dumb. You are asking for trouble

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  107. Ryan

I definitely think it's dangerous and even though I used to do it, I quit. I travel often for work so the temptation to check my email is always present, but I can't imagine killing someone just because I "had" to respond to an email or text. Now, I turn my phone off when I get in a car.

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  108. Charlie Spencer

A woman behind the wheel of an SUV and texting is more danderous than any terrorist on earth.

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  109. Epicfawn

I love it when people take this matter to the extreme, "Can you text, and drive with your feet, or can you change diapers while driving" Its just funny to me that they bring up these cases that will never come into play. Should all people "text, and drive"? no. But If you have the skills to do both, I think its fine. Other than that just pullover to the side of the road, send your message, and keep going.

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  110. patrcik

Heidi

I have and still do text and drive. Its as bad as quiting smoking for me i quit 5 yrs ago. I cant seem to quit texting and driving. Between the facebook and my friends im always texting,

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  111. Bill Franklin

As a motorcycle rider I am put in danger every day by people doing everything but pay attention to driving while in their car. New cars have taken away from people the feel of contact with the road and the reality of driving a 5,000+ pound killing machine. Punishments are a joke for even something as serious as a DWI.

If I was merely injured in an accident where someone else was texting or talking on the phone I would hate to think of what I would do to them. So take that as a warning.

October 12, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  112. Joany

Texting while driving is extremely dangerous! I do not do it while my vehicle is in motion, I will text at a redlight or pull over if it is that important! People need to realize they are sitting in a deadly weapon when they get behind the wheel of that vehicle, distractions can have deadly consequences. Saves lives PAY ATTENTION.

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  113. Steve

The solution is clear, the police need to run a check of your cell phone records when an incident happens. If it is found that you had used the phone in any way – texting, surfing or chatting – you are at fault and fined BIG TIME. In most states no new laws are required.

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  114. Jack

texting while driving is in my opinion very very dangerous, yes I am guilty of it. Maybe we just need to make smarter phones to like our computers, I can talk to my computer and it will type the text...but then are we not taking a step backwards?

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  115. Arun Shylaja

With restrictions, comes lot of inconvenience. So, we should judge ourselves and do it responsibly. At no time we should pose risk to others on car and also on the road.

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  116. Mike

Hi Heidi,

Unfortunately, I do text while driving despite knowing all of its dangers. My wife, Lorie, and I are very thankful for this lesson and all of the previous lessons you have aired.

One other problem that I have – and I'm aware of its dangers – is driving without pants. Any chance of devoting some time to this driving hazard?

Thank you!

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  117. Josh

I think more people would take these studies seriously if the experiments they used were more like real driving conditions. However, most of these "studies" require drivers to do things that they probably would never encounter in real life driving conditions. For instance, when have you ever had to do a high speed slalom course during your daily commute?

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  118. Denise

Of course it's difficult to weave around cones and through a course like that. If you had the test done in a normal driving situation 99% of people would have no trouble.

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  119. Debbie Naillieux

I 'm 57 years old and I don't text or talk on my phone while I drive . It's wrong to text, talk, or even eat while driving. And now in Indiana teens can't get their license until they are 18 years of age.

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  120. Matthew

We all know texting while driving is dangers, but we do have commonsense. Way to many things are taken away from us under another persons ideas or views. My opinion, unless your paying my cell bill, nobody has the right to tell me what to do with my cell phone. The law makers have the power to create laws, but who is to say there right. I still reply on the idea of,"FREEDOM". More and more laws are taking our freedom away. I have seen accidents happen more when people are sightseeing than text or cell phone use.

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  121. Linda

do I think its safe to txt and drive ? No .I even got a ticket for talking on the phone I pd off the ticket, and I still text sometimes but I do try to pull off the road do i always no.

October 12, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  122. Mavrik63

Only idiots do and agree with texting while driving. It's bad enough watching people read, eat, put on makeup and change clothes while driving. Now I have to look at you looking down, not paying attention to what's ahead of you so you can respond to a message that puts not only your life in danger but others around you as well.

October 12, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  123. Christopher Hendrix-Buxton

I text while in the car, but I do so at the light. There is plenty of time while waiting for the green. The worst thing thats happened to me was a honk from the car behind me. Its actually saved me from people who do run the red lights, perhaps from texting while driving.

October 12, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  124. jamie

I am a firm believer that texting while driving should be illegal. I live in northern michigan, where three people lost their lives because a person was texting and driving. He lost control and caused a four car accident which two semis were involved. Three people lost their lives, while he is still alive. Not fair!

October 12, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  125. Joy Vance

Yes, I think texting and driving is a bad idea. I don't text while driving but I do eat and talk on the phone. I'm very busy so I like to multitask by being able to do something else while talking on the phone. I will be talking much less on my cell phone while driving though and will be buying a headset because I just got a ticket for talking on my cell phone – $142!!! I believe that is an excessive amount for the fine.

October 12, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  126. Reese VanDerwarker

The government is just looking for another source of revenue via fines from texting, on the American Public. I text numerous times throughout the day because it offers me an alternative to talking on my phone while driving which they already have made illegal. The people who are in capable of texting and driving are the ones who shouldn't be driving anyway.

October 12, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  127. William

Those who do not text message or use their cell phone while driving know they might become a victim of those that do. An effective way to stop all that is to deny insurance coverage of damages or injuries if it can be proved they were texting or talking. For the user but not the victims.

October 12, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  128. Jack

A vehicle is labeled as a deadly weapon. In most localities you cannot eat, drink, shave, read, put on make-up etc while driving. Why? They distract you from handling that deadly weapon properly. If you're doing the "green" thing and are car-pooling, then have a passenger text, or talk, for you. It has gotten so bad that even in our own neighborhood we've had teenagers in cars almost hit teenagers on bikes because both the driver of the car AND the kid on the bike were texting while weaving down the middle of the road. It's terrible to say but there are times I wish Darwin's Law were a little more effective.

October 12, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  129. Jack

Driving while texting or using a cell phone is scarry and dangerous. It would be good to make this obstacle course part of every drivers test so that all drivers, particularly first time driversandthose who lose their license, can experiece the effects of being distracted.

October 12, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  130. Danny

texting while is driving is so much more easy if u do it with an iPhone. With other cell phone's I had I just about hit everyone on the road its that dam keypad were u have press 6 or 7 times before a word on the phone. But with my iPhone I safer driver cuz of the full keyboard on it

October 12, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  131. Richard

I don't text, tweet,or twirp while driving. However I do burp and let wind on a regular basis. The top is usually down, so those around me should remain alert.

October 12, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  132. Derrick from north carolina

txting while driving is not something we should do but i think we all have done it atlease once!
    I do it on my blackberry 8330 n i know i shouldn't!
    i've been doing it for so long but dat doesn't mean dat its right!
    that driving course is great for everyone-even adults and should go to ALL high schools!

October 12, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  133. liz

Hey Ken I don't care what you do in your car as long as you what you do will have no effect on me that includes drinking texting or eating keep your hands on the wheel and shut off your phone it will keep till your get where your going

October 12, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  134. Darlene D New

Hi ! Heidi,
    Yes! texting & Talking is "Deadly". My husband & I almost got into a serious accident because of someone talking on the phone!!
    We are really glad you have this subject.
    Thanks & we love your show & all of CNN:)
    Darlene New (Michigan)

October 12, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  135. Bill in Lafayette, CO

DWT, driving while texting, can add hundreds of feet to your stopping distance according to a Car & Driver test. Although reaction times vary from person to person, DWT distances were at least twice as bad as DUI distances! If you throw people in jail for DUI and DWT makes your driving worse, then you should really take DWT very seriously. Please, if you must text right away, find a safe place to pull over. Or take the bus.

October 12, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  136. Diane

Sadly, we have a history of too much complacency concerning Inattention while driving.

Sure, texting should be banned while driving. No good reason why one can't wait or can't pull their car over before texting, using the phone, or whatever takes their focus off their driving.

I was on the receiving end of an inattentive driver over 3 years ago. As a result, I have a traumatic brain injury, difficulty with tolerating sound, vision problems, imbalance, seizures and memory loss. That list isn't even all inclusive. Lost my job as a result of the injury and lost any security for retirement.

Sure wish the negligent driver that hit me would have to spend a week at my house to really see the results their moment of inattention caused.

October 12, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  137. Stephanie

I love license plate messaging!!

October 12, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  138. Bob Di Iorio (dee oreo)

Kudos to All-State and CNN on distracted-driving piece.
    Attention is obviously improved when one does not text, use cell phone, etc. Peripheral vision is also improved if the driver does not use eyeglasses like the ones worn by youngsters in your report. The temple pieces appeared to be a half-inch wide and solid. No chance wearing them to see a hazard out of the corner of one's eye.

October 12, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  139. Joe

Dear Heidi, if we're going to ban texting while driving how bout just banning bad drivers all together. Some people can't drive period, with no distractions. And others like myself can talk, text, and drive at the same time with no problem. I text by touch because I have a Black Berry Pearl which has old school,actual, physical, keys on it. I can see how people whould have problems with touch screen phones like the iPhone though because they would actually have to look at the screen to type. My point is it's not texting that's dangerous, but rather dangerous drivers who are naturally unsafe. It's and individual thing and it shouldn't be regulated by the government.

October 12, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  140. Gary G.Bernard

Our fore fathers, Wilbur and Orval Wright , Henry Ford and Harley Davidson had no idea that the drivers of their inventions would use their vehicles for carelessness driving ,road rage ,Violence,the NYC 911 attack,drive by shootings , car bombs. The list goes on and on . At least in a peaceful country we should respect our privilege and drive respectful and in a safe way. Jim Morrison of The Doors sang ... Keep your eyes on the road ,your hands upon the wheel. That is so true. God help U.S. A. LL 🙂 Responsibility first. Sincerely Gary G. Bernard age 54 Flint Michigan United States of America . Stand up and be proud.

October 12, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  141. Shyatesa

A good, clean driving record should be the goal of all drivers out on the freeways, highways and byways of our nation. It begins by learning and applying the basic elements of concentration, coordination, common courtesy, rules and engagement for responsible driving. Consequently, it should be a no-brainer when it comes to the question of texting while driving, because doing anything other than paying attention to the task at hand will yield negative results. Increasingly, death, dying, disfigurement, loss of limb, etc., is becoming the wave of new generational drivers who seem to think that technology and multitasking go hand-in-hand.

October 12, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  142. Peleti

Anything distracting a driver is dangerous, period. Texting, eating, talking on a phone, reading a book, putting on make-up, etc. Ban it all!

October 12, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  143. David

Yes, it's incredibly dangerous because esp w/texting you are taking your attention, thoughts and visual scan, away from the road. When you're driving, you need to be looking to see what's coming up ahead so as to be prepared to avoid a potential accident. Brake lights flashing on, taillights swerving for instance indicate a need to slow down, or change lanes or come to a stop. You don't want to miss those indicators. No, I've never texted while driving, but I have used a cell phone, received a call, and now I just leave the cell phone off when I'm driving because it drives me nuts to not be concentrating on the road. Another possibility is to hand the cell phone to a passenger and have them quietly handle calls. I'm glad you mentioned eating and drinking while driving and the whole topic of distracted driving, too. Shldn't let anything distract you from the road when driving.

October 12, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  144. Matthew

Some of these comments are childish and/or inmature, one or two are even threating. Come on people, use ur heads.

October 12, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  145. Matthew

People are dangerous, not the devices. Not using a turn signal to help others understand what your intentions are is dangerous. Sitting at a four way stop waiting for the next car to go is dangerous. Not being able to read minds of other drivers is dangerous. Maybe we should all stop at the next stop light, get out and go around asking the other drivers, "whats your next intentions". (If you felt the sarcasm in my writting, your getting good at reading me from a distance).

October 12, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  146. Nick Cummings

Yes i think texting and driving is dangerous. But at the same time, I still text and drive. I feel that if you are good at driving, as well as a good texter, you should be able to handle both. If you cant do two things at one time, then leave it to the experts. Accidents occur because people dont pay attention to the road maybe because they are texting. I also agree with the State laws against texting and driving to cut back on the accidents.

October 12, 2009 at 7:02 pm |
  147. LinzeKahmil

Yes by all means I believe that texting and driving is dangerous for the simple fact that you are not concerned with what is going on on the road. You are too busy texting "LOL", "LMAO" and "OMG" to you freinds. How on earth can you concentrate when you have your hand or hands occupied with a cellphone. I mean Im not going to say that I havent been guilty of texting while driving or even holding the phone on the top of the steering wheel texting and i can tell you first hand that is is dangerous and it is not something you should be trying to multi tasks with. I mean young people in particular should really not be the ones texting because we are young drivers and we havent learned the "street" road rules. We may know the handbook and the rules of driving but in today's society not many americans follow the proper handbook for driving. I would have thought people got the message about not talking on the phone while driving but now texting is being brought up for a law. Makes no sense that it takes death and accidents to teach americans lessons.

October 12, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  148. Emily

I am doing a project on this in my Public Speaking class at Agnes Scott College and I am very aware of the dangers of texting and driving and I am trying to spread the word. Obviously, I don't text and drive, I used to, but now I either turn my phone on vibrate and leave it in my car door or put it in the passenger seat face down so that I won't be tempted to even check it. Too many people have died for such a stupid reason, why continue the ignorance when there are all of these statistics that give you real situations of real people and real families that really lost someone? Why would you still do it? To me, that is just selfish, and I'd consider it close to suicide.

October 12, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  149. Lakeitha Robinson

Yes, I believe that it is very dangerous to text and drive at the same time.Consequently, it should be a no-brainer when it comes to the question of texting while driving, because doing anything other than paying attention to the task at hand will yield negative results. Yes I have done it before and I really dont plan on doing it anymore since a girl I knew was killed by a woman while she was texting on her phone. I really wish that the lady would of kept her eyes on the road and my friend would be still here today. So yes, it is highly dangerous to text while you are on the road driving. So I say to all of you who are doing it, please stop before you end someone's life.

October 12, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  150. Sonia Vivar

When My mother was in the hospital, and about to go into surgery to find out what was wrong with her. I lied there with her as they gave her her something to knock her out.....something when wrong, as I lied there holding her I saw life leave her small, frail body. As her lips turned blue, in that split second.......out of love, I thought should I let her go, finally rest ?.....I couldn't do it, I yelled out for help and they brought her back to me if even for a little while. I call that my cheating death experience.

svivar9087

October 13, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  151. don

Is killing some innocent other people, or yourself and passengers worth a text message or phone call? If you do then have a nice, living on edge of tragedy, rest of your life,moron.

October 13, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  152. Pete

This whole issue is ridiculous! I can't believe so much time is being wasted on it. It's a simple matter – if you can't chew gum and walk at the same time, you shouldn't be trying to text and drive at the same time. Driving while texting is multi-tasking and not everyone can do it. It requires too much concentration.

What you need to keep in mind for safe texting – 1. Never do it with traffic w/in 1/2 mile away – front or back!, 2. Never do it using both hands, 3. Never do it If you have to look away more than 1 second – means you need to know your keyboard back-/forwards, 4. Never do it while rounding a curve, 5. Never do it while eating, etc. 6. Whatever you're texting should be extremely important that it can't wait for other person to receive it. C? Simple! Good luck!

October 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  153. Sandy

there should not be any more leniency on these drivers than Drunk Driver...these people scare me to death, at least drunk drivers can see...these people don't and their irresponsibility has and will cost many lifes. I don't care if they are just kids, they should be held accountable by those very laws that govern drunk driving. Community service, revoking driver licesnces and steep fees and consequences (even jail). How about the acronym PAST..People Against Stupid Texting? Make it an issue of the PAST!

October 13, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  154. David

@Diane Yes good pt with your own personal story. I too was hit by an inattentive person who it turns out wouldn't even think of seeing what she has done to me. Ironic isn't it, that people who are so busy texting don't bother to communicate.

October 13, 2009 at 9:15 pm |
  155. Saint George

Anything you do behind the steering wheel other than driving should be against the law. Even grabbing a quick drink of water can cause multiple lost of life.

October 15, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  156. Saint George

PLEASE ,PLEASE just don't do it. You might save your own life.

October 15, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  157. georgene

That last comment is why laws are made . People are to ignorant to stop doing things that are dangerous to everyone on the road but are to selfish to think that maybe they should care about some else.I AM NOT for more laws or goverment in any way. I am for people taking resposibility for what they are doing.

October 15, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  158. Tim H.

Texting and talking on your cell phone without hands free capabilities should be outlawed in every state. It seem like every time your on the road you see people doing both which creats a havic for the drivers around them because there either going to slow or not paying attention to whats going on around them.

October 19, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  159. Paula

This is a no brainer.
    How would you react if you boarded a bus and the driver began texting while driving down the road?
    Every state should ban texting or any other activity that requires you to put your hands anywhere else but on the wheel of the vehicle.

October 19, 2009 at 11:03 am |