Today on CNN Newsroom

October 13th, 2009

Breathalyzer Tests in Schools: Pass or Fail?

It's a test you really hope your kid doesn't blow - but should he even -have- to??

More and more schools are implementing Breathalyzer policies, testing students not just before prom and football games... but between classes.

Professor and civil liberties attorney Avery Friedman schooled us on some of the legalities at play here.

1. jenny

FAIL, kids have enough to worry about and parents need to step up! The school is not the place to handle these things. Its enough, we as educators need to educate the kids not raise them.

October 13, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  2. Laura

Save the money on the breathlyzer tests and put it into researching WHY THIS IS EVEN A PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. Once that’s all figured out, change the environment and/or factors causing kids to be drunk at school.

October 14, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  3. Laura

Because to me, it sounds like the high schoolers are being punished for a flawed administration and faculty. Possibly the curricula is too easy and the kids are bored. Possibly it's too hard and they're dealing with anxiety. Possibly it's the social scene at that age. Where does the booze come from? I mean, come on, I highly doubt you can pin this entirely on the student.

October 14, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  4. Jasmine

This is bogus. Kids have enough stress and pressure on their plates as it is, this will only add to it. It kills me how these schools don't want to talk about what's important like sex education, how to function in society, and how to cope with life in general but they'll give breathalyzers? Yes alcohol in schools is a problem but we should be finding ways to prevent and treat it rather than penalizing them. If you suspend a kid from school for being drunk, what do you think that kid will do as soon as they get home?? DRINK. Most of them are getting it from their parents anyways. How about we start holding parents accountable for their children?

October 14, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  5. michael armstrong sr.

This is a good idea and they need to check for drugs too and they need to exspeariment with this idea in Chicago.

October 14, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  6. Melanah Poole

Before we could even get into the homecoming dance my junior and senior year, my friends and I had to take breathalyzer tests. Sadly, out of a group of about fifteen, only eight of us were allowed to enter. Drugs and alcohol abuse are quite possibly the biggest problems we young people encounter. Though I have never engaged in any activities regarding drugs or alcohol, a few of my friends have. I am glad that schools are trying to help eliminate this problem by testing students, but I feel the responsibility lies first with the parents and the students themselves. Some parents need to have more discipline with their children so that they don’t begin drinking underage or smoking with the “cool kids.” They need to stop condoning this bad behavior; start being the parent and less of the friend. Students also need to be more responsible. If you aren’t 21, you shouldn’t be drinking anyway, and any kind of drug use is not acceptable. Schools should be a last resort, but sadly many of these institutions are doing more than we are to stop this problem. I’m in support of schools administering these tests because maybe people will get the hint and start acting right. Nonetheless, it isn’t just the school’s responsibility.

October 14, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  7. Alex Russell

Good grief. Breathalyzers. Sporks. How about we direct resourses toward figuring out why kids want to bring guns into school or set each other on fire for that matter.

October 15, 2009 at 5:49 am |
  8. Brehanna Rodrigues

Breathalyzers in scholl??? I totally agee. First and foremost, the question is why are kids underage drinking? yes...I do believe that it may be a phase for some, but at the same time, Why come to school to just be drunk? or drinking? Honestly that doesn't make since to me. School is a social zone but still yet a place for learning. That's where the distractions come in with the drugs and alcohol in the learning enviorment. School can be stressful I understand that, but there are other ways around these stressful situations. I honestly think that this will help some situations in schols but at the same time I disagree with it right now at this moment because of the money issue and budget cuts. We can't afford it although I think its a great idea, it not a necessity.

November 2, 2009 at 8:32 pm |