Today on CNN Newsroom

October 15th, 2009

Doctor update: Florida teen set on fire

Fifteen-year-old Michael Brewer was doused with alcohol and set on fire by other kids for telling on a boy who tried to steal his dad’s bike. Brewer was burned on 80 percent of his body. Police have charged five middle school boys in the attack. One of them is charged with attempted murder.

Tony Harris gets an update from the doctor treating Michael Brewer.

1. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Michaels life will be changed forever and in returne the kids who done this horrific deed should have the same fate with prison time our kids have gotten to fearless of the laws of this country.

October 15, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  2. Teresa

My heart goes out to Michael and his family. I will surely keep him in my prays. But, this also makes me very angry that young kids/boys could even think to do such a thing. I raised a son and he is 21 and has ever hurt anyone! Nor, would he ever! But there is God in our home plus rules and me to deal with if the rules are not followed, a real mother. Hurting others is surely a no brainier!!! The boys and their parents should all be and going on trial for this crime. Where did these young boys get so much anger? Their mothers are fathers side? They had to have learned it some where! I can't believe that Michael's parents must look and watch their baby, their child lay in so much pain. What kind of monster does this to another human being? Teresa of Franklin, NC

October 15, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  3. Heather Horner

They should all be charged with attempted murder not just the one boy, they all took part in it not just the one, Also Micheal didnt deserve to be lite on fire for telling on another boy and to think only these boys were only in middle school what has this world come to seriously
    Ill pray for Micheal
    I hope he surives and lives a long happy life

October 15, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  4. ronnie capps

I live in corsicana, where the man that was exicuted for the blaze that killed his three kids in blaze in corsicana. Being a life long citizen in Navarro county, I know that the judges, and the sherrif's offercers in this county do not care if someone is guilty or not. All they care about is a convition in a case. I would not trust a lawman in Navarro county, to investigate a parking ticket. Those idiots just ride around in thier cars, sitting on thier fat asses and produce enought to get a conviction!!!!

October 15, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  5. marie

This type of tragedy should never be accepted by the general public especially crimes comminted by youth towards other youth. While we as adults sit around and complain about who got the olympic bid, We as a so called civilized society have our priorties mixed up people wake up this is never suppose to happen we must learn how to become role modles, and leaders in our communitoes, if necessary we must teach parents how to effectively parent, I mean how is it that we don't no what are children are doing especially 15 years old. After its all said and done what do we really need to to the offenders, because it's not locking them up, or labeling them for life, its about tearing them down and rebuilding kids are like landmarks we need them just as much as they need us to step up to the plate.

October 15, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  6. Chris

Such a great looking kid in this picture isn't he? I'd say you take those who did this and punish them in a similar fashion. Doctors can work mircles now so let's use the skin from those kids to repair this beautiful person.

October 15, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  7. me

There is no excuses here....It doesnt matter whose at fault all that were involved should be charged as adults. Crimes such as this will keep happening if we allow it. They need to be tried as adults punished as adults. Let god have mercy on them.

October 15, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  8. me

May GOD be by Michael Brewers side. You will be in my prayers.

October 15, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  9. Keiara Washington

This incident is not only sad but disgraceful. Micheal Brewer or no other child deserves this kind of treatment. The fact that five children can boldly commit a crime of this severity is disturbing! Quite frankly it angers me. Is this what I have to look forward to for my siblings and children? I am less concerned with the legal punishment in this matter: I believe the greater issue is why these individuals found it satisfying to burn 80 percent of their peer’s body. What are parents really teaching their kids? I pray that this is not our country’s fate.

October 16, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  10. deric duncan

just hearing about this story made me weep. God help that child and give strength to his parents...his life will never be the same...all this for doing the right thing. I strongly believe the parents of the other minors should be charged as well as their children. Simply reprehensible!

October 16, 2009 at 1:29 am |
  11. Kevil Gregory

I to think that this story is a hoax Mr. Harris. When the fathers interview was viewed I concluded his story to be inconsistant and far fetched.
    People do anything for fame.

October 16, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  12. Norman

I am outraged by this story! I am sick to my stomach just thinking about this horrible tragedy! Where is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson now? What about a Colilition out of Washington putting together a plan for delinquents who are violent and need to be re-programed!
    I say put them away and throw away the key! Now are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson ralleying threw the streets on behalf of this poor young man, No I doubt it! Are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson standing by this boys family and showing them support? No, I doubt it! Michael Brewer, "America is behind you", don't give up...............

October 16, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  13. Jay

I am beyond angry. My heart goes to Michael and his family. Such a great looking young man! These kids should be charged as adults. And their parents should be charged too. How many more unfortunate event like this we need to see before we get serious...really serious about this? I can't imagine how any human can commit such crime and laugh about it... Like Norman said: "America is behind you, Michael."

October 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  14. me

--->Norman, Great point, lets see if they show up. I'm a gambling man and I would not bet on it........I really hope this poor kid makes it. He has a long road to travel.

October 16, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  15. me

-->Kevil Gregory, Why dont you go listen to the 911 call. Maybe this will change your mind. If not well GOD help you.

October 16, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  16. Randy N

I beleive this would not happen if these childern had somthing to do, regaurdless of what their home life is like. Kids join gangs cause they need to be a part of somthing, have fun ,let your hair down, You know what I am doing, running for President, I have a couple of ideas to solve this, but the people would need to vote on it, best idea from myself or anyone else in the US becomes law plain, simple to the point. .

October 17, 2009 at 3:07 am |
  17. Jenna

I agree with most of the previos posts. This is a story that stays with you. As a parent of 3, I can't imagine watching one of my children going through something like this. I agree that all the boys should be charged with attempted murder. I would love to see what their parents have to say. The truth is, there are some people in this world that have absolutely no business pro- creating. Not only do we need to safe guard our children from predatory adults, but also from other children...and my husband wonders why I don't like to let my kids leave our yard.....

October 17, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  18. leo Lowery

Everyone keeps talking about the long recovery of Michael. How about the long road to recovery that we as a society face in the power struggle that has been allowed to manifest itself between parent and child. There should be no power struggle. Parents should be just that -PARENTS and ENFORCERS – children should be children and must be taught to obey and fear consequences. Self expression is fine – get crayolas and paper for that!. Parents should never have to live in fear of disciplining their children, but yet here we are. Rules put in place to protect children from abusive parents have gone to such an extreme that we have a nation of potential pre-teen miscreants that live with glorified yet incompetent baby sitters that they call mom and dad. Where do we start to fix things? Day cares are filled with children that are dropped off at 6:30 in the morning and get picked up at 6:30 in the evening. What will happen to those kids when they get in school and have 3-4 free hours of 'no parent time' after school? Pray for Michael? YES – definitely! But listen to Michael Brewer's Mom's words – they are simple words in regards to a complex problem – "this has to stop" This has to stop people. Now, look in the mirror and ask yourself what you are going to do in your community to help – or are you going to limit your involvement to just a few anonymous lines on a blog such as this and be done with it? Get off your asses people and start doing something – the monsters (and others like them) that did this to Michael Brewer will be running things when we are in nursing homes. How will that thought let you sleep at night?

October 17, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  19. dartcanyon

I think VP Biden should put actions where his big mouth is. All talk, no action man!! And he is in charge of saving the Middle Class?? Very funny!!! There is NO Middle Class and with suffering Americans running out of unemployment benefits every day how in the world can the Poor or Middle Classes be saved?? The only class that will remain unscathed by all this is the rich class of which he is a member along with the rest of Washington. Wake up America....all the politicians speak with forked tongues!!!!!

October 17, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  20. Jacob

These teens should be tried as adults an charged with attempted murder. In addition the parents should be held acountable and charged as well. If they are grown up enough to light another person on fire, they are grown up enough to see what those consequences are. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. How does a child grow up thinking it's ok to do this to another human being!? I'm military and have been to iraq twice. and that doesn't sicken me near as much as this does. It was senseless viloence over a little object.

October 18, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  21. Laurie Guild

I agree that all of those involved in setting Michael on fire should be charged with attempted murder. This is horrific. These people obviously have extreme satanic characteristics and they are all a threat to society. My prayers and heart are with Michael and his family. Our nation is crying for such horrendous acts of violence to stop. It is frightening to hear so many teens have no respect for the life of another. God bless Michael today and always.

October 23, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  22. LJ

We as a country let someone tell us how to raise our children. The parents are crap just like the kids and all should have some time to do. Bring back the chain gangs and get rid of the TV in prision. There is more sex and drugs in prision then there is on the out side. Nobodys affraid of being caught any more. When they are caught the tax payers are the ones that are sentenced, to pay for one who got caught. NOBODY HAS TO ANSWER FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE....

October 27, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  23. momma

Why is this not treated as a hate crime? Why does the media cover up the fact that these attackers are black? Reverse the roles and this would be a national story. Clearly there is a double standard when it comes to this issue.

Michael, may God be with you and may you have peace.

November 9, 2009 at 5:41 pm |