Today on CNN Newsroom

October 18th, 2009

Visions of Debt Dancing in Your Head?

If the thought of shelling out more money (or plastic) for holiday shopping is stressing you out, then you're not alone.

Many Americans, struggling to pay down credit card bills, are getting understandably anxious about adding to that debt.

It's a yearly dilemma... especially for parents whose children want the latest and greatest in expensive high-tech presents.

If the eager-to-please parent mentions affordability as a possible problem, their problem-solving kids will often reply, "Well I'll just put those presents on my Santa list, so you won't have to get them".... ugh!

On CNN Newsroom, financial experts Ken and Daria Dolan gave tips on how to get through the holiday season with minimum debt and stress. Check it out... and then submit your own smart shopping suggestions.

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

The reality is that each citizen is responsible for their expending. Many Americans struggle to get their health services and previous government administration run a campaign of attacks. How could anything be solved with that kind of behavior? How can CNN Newsroom relate to citizens? How reliable are these financial experts’ advices? It sounds to me that the holiday season can be win by not incurring into any sort of debt. Now Americans Citizens do not have access to the increase of Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA). This is the price we have to endure thanks to a wrong administration.

October 19, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  2. Randy N

This sucks!! I'm a jack of all trades and I cannot find a full time job,yes I have acouple of part time jobs,and side jobs I get,no car no insurance of any kind. The crooks and theives we have in our goverment will be enjoying life, guess I should be gratful for that. Doesn't seem it matters to them that millions of Americans including myself are drowning in debt as long as they get paid.

October 20, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  3. joe pribish

well, i have reached my solution to the CREDIT CARD BULLIES. i will be 65 in may, have worked all my life, both as employee & self employeed, paid my bills, and never had problems getting credit.
    THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK, came in the mail the other day. a CREDIT CARD i have had for over 10 years, never missed a payment, was never late..............NOW IS GOING TO CHARGE ME 29.99% on existing balance. THIS WAS IT!!!!!! IAM DONE!!!!!
    i sat down, figured up all i owe on CREDIT CARDS, and that figure comes to bout $35,000.00 not counting my vehicle loan. i will opt to pay it when it comes time.
    I AM GOING TO GET MY TARP MONEY, and show these CREDIT CARD companies, I WOULD LIKE A LITTLE RESPECT for my years of doing AS THEY WISHED.
    i have decided that since i live on my SOCIAL SECURITY check NOW,and my medical is handled thru the VETERANS ADMIN
    and as the business, I had, has been HAMPERED BY THE NON-CREDIT i have on existing cards, and they all expect 29.99% interest....... that i am calling a lawyer and and going to do a CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have no other alternative...............THANK YOU CREDIT CARD COMPANIES.......FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!

October 21, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  4. A. Baca

I received that lovely letter from Wells Fargo more then doubling my interest rate from 5.99% to 13.85%. I am in great standing, have my biz accts with them, personal, savings, mrtg, and payroll since the 80's. I was told by Wells don't take it personally! HA Someday what a joke! Someday to Wells Fargo means ,...Someday Wells Fargo will be able to take more of our hard earned money. I called them and they said it was the Feds fault and for me to call them and complain. I asked if they are required by the Feds to raise my interest rate? Their response was "we understand but it is the Feds fault." We as small business owners who didn't receive bail out money and are still operating no help by the banks are being squeezed out of business while the banks keep taking and taking and NOT LOANING MONEY or HELPING US THE CONSUMER.
    SHAME on Wells Fargo and Shame on the Media for not keeping this in the news daily. No you choose to give way to stupid segements like that sic family in Fort Collins CO.

A. Baca

October 21, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  5. kari

I, iike many Americans, are dealing with financial issues. With a serious medical issue, a subsequent divorce and loss of job because of the medical issues, I had no choice but to declare bankruptcy.

I am wondering if anyone else is dealing with a Legal Helpers Scam where they "lose" your files, including filing fees, drag out your case and require you to re-submit payment and paperwork? It's been 2 years and I'm still dealing with a case I was told would take "a couple of weeks".

October 21, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  6. Chris

YES, the debt our President and his fellow crooks in office are making for the working taxpayers of this country. We paid for Medicaid and Welfare for those who refuse to even put their bodies in good enough shape to work (even though they can all go out boozing, partying, and having babies). Now he wants to give them free healthcare simply because they voted for him at a rate no other group of people has ever voted for any individual. We can't pay for all of these people. Let's offer them some homesteading land and a package of money to go out to some isolated place and let them EARN their way.

October 23, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  7. A. Baca

Kari:

I feel so bad for you, may this nightmare end for you and all others who are in the same boat (that includes myself). All I know is that there are organization NON PROFIT, always check with the state your in and the attorney general to see if the one you are considering is a scam. I would not invest anymore money or time as they apparently haven't helped you to date.

Best thoughts and results

October 23, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  8. A. Baca

I don't believe the majority of Americans wanting a public option for Insurance are overweight. It sounds like the insurance fraud that has been in existence for decades has boiled over(i.e., fat cat executives, bonuses, lie and deny medical attention, get richer etc. etc) the masses are mad, broke unemployed, still have families to take care of and our government is willing to go up against these big paying lobbyist who are doing their best to get us to believe they have are back! Ha, they don't have anything but my premiums I have and continue to pay for years...but oh if I submit a claim, I am sent to the "uninsurable file." I am already paying for people who are uninsured every single time they are treated at ER's, hospital stays and doctors visits...Why do you think our insurance premiums go up? If we had a public option or a close facsimile perhaps a cap for the middle class and the wallet will have to open for the rich. Sorry to hear you feel people/families that would like to see a doctor and in turn keep the bill down for all of us by taking care of health issues in the front end makes you feel so bitter. We are suppose to be the land of opportunity, but I believe in order to do this we need to give people a hand up so they in turn we can all get on to being the great nation we were told we had to be.

October 24, 2009 at 2:17 pm |