Today on CNN Newsroom

October 23rd, 2009

Readin', Writin', Birthin'

800 girls in the student body. 115 of 'em pregnant, or already moms.

This week, we got schooled on the "new math" at Chicago's Robeson High.

1. bradford Mallers

HAVING SPENT 14 MONTHS IN IRAQ MY SELF. MAIL CALL WAS FOR ME THE ONLY HIGH POINT OF THE DAY. NOW THE HOLIDAY SEASON IN UPON US. IT IS THIS TIME THAT MEANS MOST TO OUR SERVICE MEMBERS. A CARD A LETTER TO ANY MEMBER OF THE ARM SERVICE DOES GIVE US THE WILL TO DO WHAT WE MUST DO TO COMPLETE OUR MISSION.

PLEASE KEEP THE MAIL GOING. AND GOD BLESS YOU FOR IT.

October 23, 2009 at 9:08 pm |
  2. Sandra Dado-Spivack

Kyra,,,I absolutely love you, but you were dead wrong about
    the Motel Manager that would not hire the non speaking English
    man to man the switchboard...I am all for the legal immigrants
    coming to the USA, BUT illegals that do not speak some form of
    English expecting to get jobs that require English is OUT OF LINE.
    If I were to call a Motel to book a room and could not get thru to the
    person that answered what I wanted to needed, I would find another
    Motel...
    Thank you in advance for considering this opinion.

October 27, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  3. Joe

Paying these girls to stay pregnant free AND go to college is GREAT!!! Spending $75,000 a year is nothing when you consider the welfare $$$ to care for that child AND mom. BUT go a step farther and think about the income tax these girls will be contributing when they graduate COLLEGE !!! It is an enormous payback that will far outway the expense. Why does it always have to be a Republican that disapproves of theseprograms?

October 30, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  4. Steven Vercher

Regardless of results, it's wrong to pay these girls for not getting pregnant. How about penalizing the girls and their parents for lack of common sense and social responsibility?

October 30, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  5. Michele

Yes, The kids know we put our money in things we car about. Not getting pregant before you have a job is a good thing and helps the entire couintry. I pay my 10 grandchildren for A's & B's. I can't fiond anything wrong with it.

October 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  6. Luvenia C. Coleman

Re: Girls getting paid not to get pregnant:
    I think it's a great idea. It's cheaper this way. I hope I live to see the day when a Republican agrees on anything. If you say boo, they say who, etc. The same goes with education. Spend money to educate, or pay more to house a criminal in the penal system. We can't have it both ways! Which is cheaper in the long run!
    Keep up the good work Kyra. I love CNN! I think of CNN as a baby Walter Cronkite! Just tell the truth and people will flock to CNN.
    Thanks and have a great weekend!

October 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  7. J. Green, Dix Hills, NY

Kyra:

On the story about paying females students not to get pregnant, remember the adage, "An ounce of prevention..." I guess Bill Wright wound be more content to have taxpayers pay the cost if a child gets pregnant and goes on welfare. Republicans and conservatives always seem to be on the wrong side of social issues. Think of it as an incentive like we give to contractors for completing work before a deadline.

I'm a taxpayer too and I don't mind using public funds as "seed-money" for worthy projects. And, yes, we should give male students incentives for abstinence and not getting any girls pregnant.

J. Green

October 30, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  8. Paul Teske

Wow... Just wow! I never thought I'd see the day where we have to pay teen girls not to get pregnant. For one, these girls should realize that a baby at 16 is only going to hurt their lives. Second, humans have sex, money will not change that. It's going to be a funny story when these girls wind up pregnant anyway. Third, what about a $75,000 fund for birth control? Did anyone investigate that potential?

October 30, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  9. Edward Williams

Paying high-risk teens NOT to get pregnant may seem absurd, but it creates real incentives that encourage these teens to escape the trappings of poverty and teen pregnancy. I have taught college English for 22 years and have seen first-hand the tragic effects of teen pregnancy. As a taxpayer, I am glad to INVEST in teen girls PRIOR to their pregnancies rather than pay far more to them and their children AFTER they get pregnant. Three cheers to any efforts to spare these girls a lifetime of welfare or menial jobs.

October 30, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  10. Dr. Melanie S. Jones

Re: Teen Pregnancy – from Dr. Melanie S. Jones, Cross Lanes WV.
    I am sick & tired of people talking about teen pregnancy like it is a terrible disease that afflicts our country. I speak as someone who was a mother of 3 kids by the time I was 18-years old, who is now a college professor, and who - at 34 years of age, has accomplished a heck of a lot in her lifetime. It is a matter of personal responsibility. If you choose to become a parent – regardless of your age, with a planned or unplanned pregnancy – then you have the obligation to do what you need to do in order to make life work. It's funny how folks lose all sense of history – for it wasn't too many years ago when people commonly married & became parents in their teen years. As a response to all the other comments - being a teen mom most certainly did not "hurt my life", nor am I limited to "a lifetime of welfare or menial jobs", and I had plenty of "common sense" and most certainly exercised my social responsibility. To do it over again, I would NOT have changed a thing. I love being young and having grown children. Were things tough? Of course. But look at our economy today. How many adult-aged first time parents are having difficulties making ends meet? It's life, people. Life.

November 1, 2009 at 3:31 pm |