Today on CNN Newsroom

October 24th, 2009

Your Thoughts on Medical Marijuana

Many of you weighed in about our special show on the legalization of medical marijuana in several states.
Josh Levs highlighted some of your comments on air.

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Teresa

Yes! Legalize! The ban on marijuana is unwarranted and hypocritical. It can be used medicinally (safer than addictive, multiple side-effect inducing pharmaceuticals/narcotics) and recreationally (it's much safer than alcohol). Why all the hysteria?

October 24, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  2. Mike

You can't be serious about the SUVs thing. Come on. Do you know how many people smoke weed in this country? It's a pretty large amount and I'm pretty sure that a few of them drive a large SUV. The only time you see marijuana causing accidents is when it's in the hands of some ignorant 17 year old kid who thinks it's cool to smoke weed so they have to act immature to make sure EVERYONE knows they're high. So to avoid this problem the smart thing to do would be keep it away from dumb kids by legalizing it and putting an age limit on.

October 24, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  3. Max

The "con" man's argument saying pot can cause bipolar disorder is far from correct. I have bipolar disorder, and just like most everyone else I know with the disease, I smoke marijuana. It works; trust me, and I'm not a "stoner" (I work 45 to 50 hours a week at my job). I've been "trying it" for 10 years now. It's not legal where I live, but it should be. And just because it is perceived to be unwholesome by politicians and the political arm of physicians doesn't mean smokers who need their medicine should be arrested. Maybe those physicians should look at recent articles in medical journals that show a component of marijuana, cannabidiol, is quite beneficial medicine, from tumors to bipolar disorder.

October 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  4. PiffDaddy

Like any other drug it can and most likely will be abused. th issue of whether regular individuals will begin to use mm for recreational purposes is a whole other story. Most people who actually benefit from mm swear by it's ability to help ease their pains better than other drugs. So why isn't mm legal yet? Most likely bc the govt is afraid of the issue I stated above...

October 24, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  5. steven

also not all dugs should be leagal bud is the only drug that is not addictive no is no phisical addiction to it unlike all other drugs i think only bud leagal everything else non leagal plz make this point

October 25, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  6. mike douville jr.

marijuana is the healing of the nation, don't knock if you never tried it.

October 25, 2009 at 5:35 am |
  7. Don - Northwood,Ohio

There are so Many that do NOT want it Legal for ANY reason, The Doctors at Pain Care Clinics stand to loose big money, Not to mention the Pharmaceutical Companies they support, They see Patients Once a month and prescribe only enough for 1 Month, That is 12 Visits a year per-person charging over $120.00 per visit, Big money when you figure about 100 or more people per doctor. California has them seeing Dr 1 time a year for Cannabis, You do the Math.
    Opposition to legalization is mainly driven by MONEY!!! Period!!!

October 25, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  8. l mathis

I have done all types of rx medicines for hypertension and insomnia and pot is the only thing that has helped me with out any bad side affects {like sleepwalking,walking around like a zombie.}

October 25, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  9. Adam Windsor

Ok, now I've heard it all! I can not believe this guy literally just said that marijuana can lead to schizophrenia, Bi Polar disease, it's carcinogenic and can enhance ADHD!! I was BORN with ADHD and let me tell you the ONLY thing smoking marijuana does for me is straighten my thoughts out. The fact of the matter is, as far as carcinogens go, tobacco industries are more than happy to sell consumers cancer causing products!! So the real question is why is it they have a problem with selling us a product that WON'T kill us! Oh, and do me a favor, name me ONE person who developed ANY disease from simply smoking pot! The reason why I suspect there are no so called "credible" sources condoning the use of marijuana is because of there financial interests and because of the fact that pot is still illegal. Grow up people! The facts are all there, it's time to fight this! How about we get 10,000 people to smoke pot in front of the white house! And when they see that out of 10,000 people not a one develops the desire to just start killing people, their absurd theories will have been totally debunked.

October 25, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  10. polluted

Nobody has ever died from using cannabis.Main side effects are hungry-happy-sleepy.If someone took 10 vicodins ,they would overdose and possibly die.If that same person took 10 cannabis "joints",they would just fall asleep.The FDA dont want the legalization of cannabis ,for they will lose its patients to cannabis = negative profits.

October 25, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  11. polluted

cannabis isnt a "gateway" drug.If anything,alcohol would be considered a gate way substance.Cannabis makes people passive and thinkers.Alcohol makes people numb minded.

October 25, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  12. Jerry Woodward

I would love to see cnn do a poll on legalizing medical marijuana for all states and give a 2 week notice before doing it. That way everyone will know when to vote and maybe then our government would listen to the people of the united states of america! everyone knows that it would be a victory hands down to stop putting disabled people in jail and giving them a police record!!!!

October 25, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  13. Sheila Macpherson

Legalize it. Regulate it. Tax it.
    Jobs. Revenue. Reduce crime.
    Not rocket science. Just smart.

October 25, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  14. alen

legalize it ,and make one big happy nation.

October 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  15. Laura

I find that I have worse reaction to prescription pills than to marijuana. I took a certain sleeping pill to help me sleep after I was traumatized, thanks to the "excessively aggressive and strange behavior...suicidal thoughts...depression" side-effects, I was almost suspended my last semester in college. Marijuana seems to me to be a much safer way to treat what I was suffering from, anxiety and insomnia. Prescription pills aren't what they are cracked up to be, and in my case, very dangerous.

October 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  16. sirsmokealot

Y not legalize it. No one has actually died from marijuana, but how many people die everyday from alcohol and tobacco. Doesn't make sense does it.

October 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  17. james Neilsen

I am a retired cop. Over 30 years experience. The legalization of marihuana is long overdue. Legalize it and tax it. Great source of tax revenue.

October 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  18. Gary Gabrel

The people against marijuana are those in the business of prisons and selling legal drugs. Give us the freedom of choice! We have the Constitutional rights to look after our own health and happiness.

October 25, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  19. dustin

The money our government and lawenforcement is spending on prohibiting marijuana is crazy legalize it and tax it like alcohol put an age limit on it though. Its a very profitable business and could create many new jobs.

October 25, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  20. Dan N

I have been a Police Officer for over 10 years for a large Police Department in Southern California. In the course of my career I have had minimal calls for service related to marijuana. The reactions from users are typically: eat, sleep, and relax. I have not had one violent reacation from users. It is not a gateway drug contrary to the popular belief. Marijuana is relatively benign compared to alcohol.

October 25, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  21. Brian

President Carter said it best "Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana in private for personal use."

With the economy the way it is lets save money by not jailing violent offenders and taxing marijuana! Right now it's easier for kids to get weed than alcohol. Lets take a lesson from history and realize prohibition is a bad policy.

October 25, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  22. Jerry

I have a big problem with government borrowing and spending tens of billions of dollars to fight a relatively benign substance. The most government can do is to increase price of marijuana, leading some people to use much, much more dangerous (but cheaper) drugs, and cause near civil war in developing countries as their governments are goaded by the U.S. into declaring war against their own impoverished growers and distributers.

The U.S. has a bigger percentage of our people in prison than any other nation, and this needs to stop. A real crime needs a victim, and lets be very tough on real crimes in which people are injured or property taken or destroyed.

October 25, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  23. Kevin

I was an employee for the VA Medical Center and one of my other assigned duties was to assist in counting drugs for weekly inventories and one of the drugs inventoried was the THC pill. If the Federal Government considers marijuana illegal, why does it dispense it and grow it in the southern states?

October 25, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  24. Tyler

Recently this has been a hotly debated topic in my high school government class. After hearing arguments from all sides the class was unanimous in voting to legalize marijuana in light of its medicinal benefits. However here in Georgia marijuana remains illegal. It will be interesting to see how America's youth partake in this debate.

October 25, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  25. Paul

History proves that regulating the availability of any substance is impossible. Economics teaches us that it only increases demand. The real issue is that people believe other people cannot conduct themselves in a safe way under the influence of marijuana. Doesn't it make more sense to address the issue of responsibility of use instead? Too much oxygen gets you hi too little and you die, but you don't see oxygen regulations.

October 25, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  26. chris jenkins

Legalize it not only for medical use but also to make paper,for fuel and many other uses. It's environment friendly. Does not increase co2 to the atmosphere! Go green.

October 25, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  27. Chaz

The only reason marijuana has been illegal for so many years is because... I can't make my own cigarettes... I cant make my own alcohol.... I can't make my own Hand Guns and Shotguns... I can't make my own pain pills... How many people does the following things kill a year? Pot kills Zero ... The problem is I can grow my own marijuana and the feds would have no way to TAX it.... thats why it's illegal so they can tax it by arresting those who are caught in possession of it..

October 25, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  28. Ellery Curtis

Personally, I do not and would not smoke – inhaling smoke likely is not good for you no matter what substance I would think. It is a "drug" and like any "drug" has side effects short term and long term. But it seems from VAST anectdotal experience with this substance, that is is much less harmful than alcohol. Let people smoke the darn grass if they like – we already allow 1/5 Americans to die from smoking tobacco and alcohol kills every day. Where are these statistics that compel the illegalization of this substance. This is America, land of the free, and unless there is compelling evidence that this substance kills/harms more people or brings about more harm than alcohol or tobacco, then chill out people.

But as a pharmacist, I do think that if we are to routinely prescribe this drug, it should be studied like any other drug – then again – aspirin was grandfathered in – perhaps we will grandfather in mary jane. Either way, we already allow herbal drugs and tobacco to be sold, this is in the same ball park.

October 25, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  29. Betty in FL

Your lungs don't like smoke in them PERIOD! What's the difference, legalize pot & tax it just like cigs. We could save the health care system pot smokers will need.

October 25, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  30. Justin

I live in Ohio and am being prescribed highly addictive sedatives for anxiety/OCD and I still have symptoms, but when I ingest marijuana my symptoms all but go away. I wish I was able to grow my own medicine in my state and get off of these addictive sedatives.

If my state legislators are watching, please help ease the suffering of myself and others' by passing medical marijuana legislation in Ohio!

October 25, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  31. Dan Grinfas

It's high time (no pun intended) that medical marijuana be legalized on the federal level. Oregon's Medical Marijuana Act (the OMMA) has worked very well to date. It's often the case that other drugs just don't work as well for patients who, for example, need to treat nausea associated with chemotherapy so that they can eat and sustain themselves.

October 25, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  32. Michael Richbourg

I smoked marijuana to relieve nausea and improve my appetite when I was enduring 12 months of chemotherapy in 1984-1985. My leg was amputated at the hip in 1984 due to osteosarcoma. Twenty-five years later I use marijuana to help deal with phantom limb pain. I am breaking the law (in Texas), and could suffer consequences with my carreer if the fact that I smoke marijuana were revealed, as for example by a routine employment drug screening. We need to end the prohibition, and get realistic about our ridiculous drug laws.

October 25, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  33. PaTi3nC3

I think marijuana should definityly be legal..I personally Love to smoke..for more reasons than feeling great..I use it when I feel nauseated or sick..or stressed. It would make more sence for weed to be legal due to the fact everyone that wants to smoke already does, the state can just make more taxes off of us like they do anyways. The green is not mean.ill vote for it for sure!!

October 25, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  34. Andrew Soncrant

Alcohol is a worse drug than marijuana. It claims the lives of approx. 75,000 a year. Now tell me what is legal. Smoking marijuana doesn't cause liver failure and dependency, unlike alcohol. Even the hemp plant has so many more uses besides smoking. Looking at the big picture, if the government starts selling marijuana at stores, they could sell it at a cheaper price then dealers. Therefore dealers would make no money off it and stop selling it, then people just looking to smoke marijuana wouldn't have to put themselves in danger, also ending the whole gateway drug thing for children. How would people feel if they had to go to great lengths to get their alcohol. A-lot of politicians would be jumping ropes and dodging bullets to get their fix. I think the prohibition sets the best example.

October 25, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  35. Maire Cullen

Those who oppose my right to choose my medicine don't really believe in the founding principles of this great country. As a 6-year patient with end-stage renal disease, i have suffered from the side effects of prescription pain medicine, and without medical pot for pain, nausea, insomnia and depression, I would have such a poor quality of life as to make it unworth continuing in constant, intractable agony. I grow my own, and have never had so much as a jay-walking ticket. I am a fifty-two yr old woman with no history of drug or alchohol use, and I do not want to be treated like a child by those who think that THEY know what's good for ME...that is MINE to choose!
    I also feel that irresponsible parroting of stereotypes and wrong information about this wonderfully theraputic, and NOT AT ALL DANGEROUS natural medicine has done irreparable harm to many who suffer needlessly-when it happens to you, or one you love, i promise you, you will change your tune!

October 25, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  36. Rhea

My dad died from drinking. had family and friends die alchol related accidents.Never from smoking weed

October 25, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  37. James Fotheringham

Marijuana is a plant that will grow easily in ANY country of the world ... it is a medicinal herb NOT A DRUG ... a true gift from God. In many countries it is indeed called the god plant. The drug companies of the world pay governments to keep it illegal knowing full well it is a cure / treatment for a myriad of physical and mental ailments. If marijuana was made legal the sales for manufactured drugs would drop by at least half resulting in hug losses for the drug companies. They should all be sued for depriving the human race of the BEST NATURAL CURE ALL!!

October 25, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  38. chris jenkins

Tobacco and alcohol kill thousands of people a year, marijuana well no one has died using it.

October 25, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  39. B J Landry

It’ should be legalized and not just for medical use. What people don’t realize is, that if Marijuana were legal, easy to get and cheep to purchase, that drug use(of hard drugs) would plummet. The money used now to fight pot could be used to fight the use of hard drugs and for additions that follow. The Taxes collected on pot could be used to help fund health care. Also by having a legal drug on the market would allow for easy infiltration of drug agents into the world of hard drug use.

October 25, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  40. Carl Osborne

Make marijuana legal, or the states will charge sick people large fees to feel better. In Nevada it cost about $500.00 To be legal. If you have the money you can be legal. Is this right.

October 25, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  41. Tyler Burr

Marijuana has helped me with my Obessive Complusive Disorder and Generalized Aniexty, more than any other medicine I have been on. I have had OCD since I was 8 and Generalized Anxiety since I was around 14. I am 24 right now.
    My doctor's have put me on many, many drugs. Paxil, Seroquel, celexa, prozac, effexor xr, xanax, kolpin etc. I have had so many side effects from these medication. I started using marijuana medically two years ago, and my life completely changed. I haven't had nearly as many panic attacks then when i was on the other pills and i am almost completely off an extremely addicting drug, xanax. Xanax has helped me in the past but it is a terrible substance. The physical withdraw from it even when going off with my doctors help, is very annoyingly painful. I am so happy to be going off this medicine.
    Marijuana has done a lot for me. Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you California for letting this medicine be used legally again. I might have a biased view because of how much it has helped me, but wouldn't you?

October 25, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  42. shirley

I believe Marijuana is a gateway drug. I have someone close to me who started out on Marijuana and migrated to a much more hard core drug. He was hooked and Marijuana and then was in bondage to cocaine for most of his life. I don't understand what is happening to our great nation when it talks about making Marijuana legal. We are in great deal of trouble America open your eyes and look at our great nation. We are in a lot trouble.God is trying to get our attention.

October 25, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  43. Danny Paul

Went thru cancer in 2007, had debilitating pain,wished I'd had medical marijuana instead of pain pills that causes addiction. The worst drug I ever had was alcolhol which leads to families being tore apart and even many other vices and moral downfalls. Besides that the big alcolhol companies are affraid of any legalized marijuana,it would cut their profits down. Know this also that most who oppose medical marijuana are very prejudice,especially those in law inforcement.

October 25, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  44. Steve Phillips WI.

The DEA Would lose out on Millions of $s and New cars ,Boats Planes, art, Mansions, Semi trucks, YOU NAME and the DEA takes it from the Drug dealers! They either auction it off or keep it for their agents to "use". By making weed legal the price would drop by approx. 650%, How is this good for the DEA? we know the Long list of why it would be good for the people of the USA, Mexico etc. Stop the killing at the borders, put the drug lords outa biz etc. But the For profit prisons in the USA would loose Billions by removing outrageous sentences for weed charges!

October 25, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  45. Janine

In controlled studies, marijuana has been found to be beneficial for: Glaucoma, Multiple Schlerosis, Pain, Spinal Chord Injury, Schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, Spastic Colon, Tourette's , Acid Reflux, and more. It's medical use is legal in 14 states. So, why does the govt still classify it as as Schedule I drug (meaning it has NO medicinal value of any sort)? Being a Schedule ! drug makes it much harder for researchers to obtain the medicine to even DO studies on this medicine. By definition – cannabis is NOT a Schedule I drug.

If marijuana were PROPERLY scheduled, according to medical facts, a lot of these problems would be moot.

October 25, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  46. Ted S.

I am 57 yrs. old. I was a passenger in a car accident in 1990. It left me with severe upper & lower back pain. With medical marijuna I can walk like a new man. I 'm on 100% SSI Disability Permently for life. Not only living with this pain I also have been living with CLL Cancer for the past 7 yrs. I am soooo sick of pain meds that make you sick from taking them. I live in Notheastern Pa. Please help and pass legalize medical marijuna so I can live a some what normal life. Not just for me but for the millions of others with various illnesses.

October 25, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  47. Danny Paul

The cancer I had plus the chemo treatments and pain pills left me with no appetite and having constant nausea I went from 187lbs to 141lbs. Sure would have loved to have the munchies so I could eat and gain strength.

October 25, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  48. John R. Rosenburg

Legalize it and move on. Or, you can move to southeastern Nebraska where marijuana grows wild and is free for the taking.

October 25, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  49. Danny Paul

Thanks CNN for your coverage on medical marirjuana many in the news media don't have the courage to have reasonable debates from both sides of the issue.

October 25, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  50. Mr. Factual Reality

I am glad to finally see attention paid to this subject, it is long over due. We must legalize marijuana for medical use across the country because not doing so will just lead to more sick people in jail, as states against it crack down and states for it get more lenient. I have a degenerative auto immune disease and If my state had med pot laws I would be able to stop taking the opiate based pain killers that are making me throw up and destroying my liver while having a minimal effect on my cronic pain. I also want to say that I believe we CANNOT leave the production of medical marijuana to industry looking to standardize it. It cannot be a monocrop without diminishing its effects. Just like there are many varieties of tomatoes, there are varieties of marijuana. Some of these plant strains have radically different effects for different people. One may offer the pain relieve on par with vicodin while another can have a strong anti nausea effect on par with dramamine. People need the ability to test different strains and change strains when tolerance is built up. It is important to remember that THC is only one of the hundreds of natural chemicals found in marijuana. It is possible that the differing effects have alot to do with varying chemical levels and combinations. Unfortunatly there is still a lack of serious research into the uses of varying strains because researchers aren't able to selectively grow and breed them on their own. They are forced to get samples from government farms that all too often don't treat the plant the way it needs to be treated in order to get the beneficial medical effects. It is a science that, for the large part, is being held back because of political fears. I can also assume big pharma wouldn't be too keen on people growing a plant in their back yard instead of buying pills all year. With that said, I am hopeful for a future where common sense is used over draconian prison sentences. Thank you CNN for giving us sick people a voice.

October 25, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  51. Nicholas Laramee

I believe the use of medical marijuana in all forms should be legal. As a user myself I find it very alleviating to most all illnesses and particularly to those suffering. I condone the medical use of marijuana as well as recreation. DECRIMINALIZE.

October 25, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  52. Larry

The time to legalize cannabis, both the female and male plants is long over due. How much longer can we allow the nation to lose jobs and suffer this insane drug policy that does not work and is only leading to more negative consequences. This nation was founded on cannabis production for products ranging from paper, clothing, rope, plastics, fuel, and medicine. The cannabis plant is one of the most useful plants known to man, and the time to legalize this multi-purpose plant is now! Our nation cannot afford to keep it illegal any longer!

October 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  53. Zachary in Phx

I think medical marijuana should be legal - people are suffering from very debilitating nausea and pain in their final days and should be able to get some kind of reprieve before passing. If MM serves this purpose, then I'm all for it. I think in AZ we're having a vote on this in the upcoming election in the form of a ballot initiative.

October 26, 2009 at 2:10 am |
  54. Ellery

Two points that I will echo – we got a police officer on here saying legalize it – that is a compelling testiment. Also, I will echo "Tyler" – when I was in college, there were scheduled debates on this issue (this is a pharmacy school) – the legalization argument always prevailed based on stronger evidence and logic – opposition argument is largely emotional, religous, or pseudoscientific. I will say that there will certainly be health consequences to smoking it, but I suspect it will be less of an impact compared to tobacco or alcohol.

October 26, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  55. Andrew

They should legalize it, Tax it and let the people have what we want.

October 26, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  56. Patrick

Marijuana is not a drug, it is not a medicine. Sugar is more a drug than marijuana. Medical Marijuana legalization must happen nationally, if not only to de-criminalized the daily habits of millions of upstanding American citizens but also to reduce the dangerous and violent trafficking of this innocuous plant into our country by foreign organized criminals.

October 26, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  57. Jason

I believe the time has come to finally legalize marijuana and regulate it just like our tabacco and alcohol industries. Lets not forget that times are rough and this would help with bringing more money in, also the fact that the hemp plant itself can be used for paper (first paper ever made was by the Chinese using hemp), ropes (extremely strong and durable), lotions (aloe vera watch out), etc. I believe this could spawn new companies in all fields related to hemp and in turn will have a larger economic impact on the USA. The fight against marijuana is losing one, I can totally agree with cocaine and other manufactured drugs being illegal because in my eye they are man-made and not natural. Marijuana is less processed than even cigarrettes. Its time to wake up and smell the weed. Just my opinion.

October 26, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  58. Chance

Looks like Im late as always in posting this!

People keep saying that its a dangerous drug, yet they have no evidence of this! If they did, it would be all over the media, plastered on every paper and tv screen.
    Its nearly impossible to overdose on, has been shown to stimulate brain cell growth instead of cell death like alcohol does, proven to help in some neck and head cancers, has never, I repeat NEVER been linked to lung cancer when ONLY pot was smoked and not tobacco, and funny thing here, the US gov has a patent on synthetic THC! They know it works, know it helps, but why have the natural, cheap stuff when they can sell you some expensive crap from a lab that is not nearly as effective because it lacks the cannabinoids found in the natural plant and has such a hard time controlling effects?

If anyone did some research on their own, instead of just falling in line with the propaganda machine run by our government for the last 70+ years, this would be legal 40 years ago.
    The damage done to our citizens by the drug war, the wasted efforts of police and courts, the wasted money, the innocent people killed by accident, the power granted to the drug cartels, the over crowding of prisons, the destruction of young lives for getting caught with a roach in the ash tray... All so wasteful, it all could end today.
    If CNN really wants to do a story, really wants to dig for some facts, why do they not devote some time to the founders of NORML and LEAP to speak? Offer the opposing side a chance for rebuttal, but force them to provide sources, legitimate studies for example when they do cry foul.
    Iv seen it on CNN many times, but its always a short clip, and time always runs out before anything is ever exposed.
    The best the anti side could do was offer up a Baldwin brother to say its dangerous.
    As a parent I do not think that today youth should be smoking pot, I also would much rather catch my kids smoking a joint, rather than find them drunk.

October 26, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  59. Mike

The war on drugs is out of hand. We are ruining peoples lives over a plant that is less toxic than all of the over- the -counter medicines, and Less toxic than alcohol. We need to do what's right, legalize, tax, and regulate Marijuana. Our country is supposed to be a beacon of freedom, Instead we allow our government to control us. A little communist wouldn't you say.

October 26, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  60. Katharine

I support the legalization of marijuana! I'm a 58 year old woman who grew up with lots of depressed family members self-medicating with heroin, cocaine, alcohol, pot, and you name it. The only ones not causing trouble, killing themselves, and threatening others have been the pot smokers. I am not one of them, but the pot smokers are doing their jobs, getting their college degrees, taking care of their families, paying their bills, and staying calm and steady. The alcoholics and other drug users in the family are the ones with the problems.

October 26, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  61. Brad

Compare the incidents and deaths attributed to marijuana with that of alcohol. Enough said.

October 26, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  62. D Reynolds

Find me the person who has been directly harmed by marijuana use and I will change my pro-legalization stance. The complete lack of marijuana victoms should speak for itself. Meanwhile, alcohol and tobacco, both federally regulated substances, continue to kill over 500,000 Americans each year. Stop the madness.

October 26, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  63. Mark

Bad things happen when good men do nothing..

Now is the time to act.. and come together as one to end this insane war on our people!

October 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  64. Elle

I have ADD and anxiety. I've tried everything on the market for my anxiety. Marijuana is the best thing ever! Even though I hate smoking it, because it's bad for the lungs. (fyi I am a nursing major). There are other ways of taking marijuana, such as through food and THC pills! I really think marijuana should be legalized throughout the nation. It would help so many people, including me!

October 26, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  65. Madlynn

What gave someone back in the 1930's the right to go and outlaw marijuana anyway? I saw a clip of Reefer Madness and I could not believe my eyes. How stupid can one be to even think people act like that just because they are high. It is absolutely ridiculous. It is time for the millions of people of America to make a stand and make it known that ALL states should have legal marijuana laws and not just medicinal. Just legalize it and tax it and help out our country in this horrible economic time. It could be exactly what pulls us out of this crisis. Free up some jail/prison space for the real criminals and leave out marijuana users. I know in my town and area there have been alot of babies being kidnapped and raped and killed and dumped like trash-we are going to need prison space for these people. Marijuana should not ruin a persons life if they get busted. It is really screwed up and I hope in my life time that I see our government wise up and do the right thing. LEGALIZE!!!!!

October 26, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  66. James

The national government should take a step back and allow the state governments to decide on this matter. Let the people decide. Legalize it.

October 27, 2009 at 4:52 am |
  67. anonymous

I keep hearing people mention Marinol(tm). Pricing for Marinol is around $28 – $30 a pill. That means $840+ a month for something that is simply a cannabis derivative and is said not to work as well by patients.

How much medical grade marijuana can a person buy for $840 a month?

Marinol is horribly expensive, doesn't work as well for most people, takes longer to become active (eaten -vs- vaporized), is missing beneficial cannabinoids, and costs a fortune.

I have to wonder how many of the people showing up in television interviews are being paid by pharmaceutical companies. Anyone who researches the product will see it's simply a pill with the same main active ingredient from marijuana (THC) and costs a fortune compared to the natural plant.

Picking the pockets of sick patients who suffer from physical and mental ailments? Wrong and unforgivable.

October 27, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  68. BigMo

The list of benefits are far to many to count. Yet certain members of our society and Government still insist that it has no medical value. There are entirely to many non violent marijuana users arrested every year, their lives destroyed for a plant that morale America still lives in the dark ages over.

Eventually our politicians have to stop making decisions for us and start listening to the people that vote them into office and not the lobbyists that line their pockets to keep it illegal. There has not been one documented death from the use of this benign plant. It has been proven that sugar has more detrimental effects on us than marijuana.

Just my two cents worth.

October 27, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  69. Josh

Im glad people are begining to open their eyes , there are many ways states and people will benefit from this move . Not just medically but also economically and it might teach some people to mellow out and try to fix our world. God Bless

October 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  70. Candice

I don't smoke but I am totally ok with pot being legal. Why not? $$$$

October 27, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  71. Jerry

Legalize, don't penalize.

October 28, 2009 at 6:46 am |
  72. Christel Monmoine

Legalizing marijuana would lead to more of our teens getting involved in drugs. Marijuana is the mildest of all drugs but a pathway to other drugs for those who fall into addiction. My son is 16 and has been away from home for a year now recovering from the devastating effects that drugs have on your body and in your psyche. Marijuana is not physically addictive but is mentally addictive to those who like my son happen to have an addictive personality. Marijuana changed the course of my son' s life forever. Legalizing marijuana would mean more teens would use it and abuse it and not only these kids but also all of us as a society will have to pay the price for it. The economic gain from legalizing marijuana is not worth loosing many more of our teens to drugs and won't cover the cost that society will have to pay for rehabilitating those abusers, treating the increase in mental illnesses, car accidents and deaths due to DUI, lack of motivation and ambition in our workforce which are all consequences of marijuana use without even mentioning the trauma drug use can bring to all of those who have a loved one who falls under the influence of drugs. I unfortunately know first hand what it's like...

October 28, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  73. Linda Henderson

I don't care. If it helps a hurting body, go for it!

November 1, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  74. mlhammon

When you take one drug , then eventually it leads to another.Stop using excessive food, drugs, or alcohol as an escape. Grow up and take responsibility for your life like the rest of us. We do not want to take care of you later.

November 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm |