Today on CNN Newsroom

October 25th, 2009

Fighting H1N1 Online

President Obama has declared a national emergency over H1N1, and health officials are encouraging people to take a series of steps to protect their families. One of them: Harness the power of the Internet.
In the Newsroom, we're showing you some key Web sites to use. Below are links to sites with updated information, maps, advice, and more.

CNN's special section, packed with info – a great first stop.
www.cnn.com/h1n1

The CDC:
www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

Also this from the government:
flu.gov

To see how the virus is spreading in your area, or anywhere, check out:
www.healthmap.org/en

Google is tracking how much people around the world are searching for information about H1N1:
www.google.org/flutrends/

Google has also created a special "layer" to use if you have Google Earth. It shows relative activity in different U.S. states:

Have these worked for you? Are there others you use? Post below and we just might share your responses on the air.

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Elba Montalvo

Is it safe or necessary to have a vaccine for season flu in you have the one for H1N1? I mean is it ok to have both without any harmful reaction to your health?

October 25, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  2. Mike Gilbert

I very recently heard several of the companies making the H1N1 vaccine were up to speed, that this year the Federal government is trying to do the distribution. We were promised something like 130 million dosages of vaccine by the end of October, but only 11 million are available. No one, from the CDC to the state officials, can tell us when the vaccine will actually be available to the general public... it's a subject they tend to avoid.

This is the same Federal government that wants to take over our health care system! This speaks volumes for how well national health care is going to work!

October 25, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  3. Jean Crawford

I think people would be shocked if they googled Tamiflu and Donald Rumsfeld.....and learnd of the fact the fact that George Bush authorized 1.7 Billion dollars to combat the bird flu.......which 14% of that amount went to Gilead....and the head of that company at that time was Donald Rumsfeld. As far as the I could determine....he only has shares in that company today.......mmmmmmm...order more Tamifluuuuuuu.....and now order more h1N1....Poor Donald....what ever will he do with all that money ????
    If only a fraction of the money spent on Tamiflu and H1N1 vaccine...which is not proven effective, was spent on cancer research......???
    Oh my.....am I becoming cynical when I think that a cure for cancer would not make a lot of money for the drug companies ?
    Am I cynical in wondering how this H1N1 bug originated ?
    Am I cynical in wondering if the mass hysteria has been well orchestrated ?
    I pray that my mind has turned to cheese...and I am getting paranoid....for no reason.... sighsssssssss..

October 25, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  4. Sarah

I do not agree with many's people's choice to take the swine flu vaccine. I also do not think that Obama should have declared a national emergency. This is for multiple reasons.
    Say, if you were to pull up a map of people who are suffering of the seasonal flu, like the one for the swine flu http://www.healthmap.org/en (maybe you this would be a better test if it were deeper into the winter months) I am sure that the map would be just as covered, or maybe more covered in little dots accross the world. Maybe, this swine flu is the new seasonal flu.
    I don't think ANYONE president or not, should have the controls one has when they declare a "national emergency." What some people may think, when they hear national emergency, is that the nation is in an emergency, which could be true. But what it really means is that the president, and the government, gets certain powers that they could not get before the national emergency was declared. Search yourself, multiple websites of what these powers are entailed to. Not just one, not just two, five, six, educate yourself on what's really going on.

October 25, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  5. Peter Hardy

Just received an appropriately IRONIC e-mail regarding the H1N1 scare.

The Irony of Life
    We have 3000 cases of H1N1 and everyone wants gloves and masks but we have more then 41,000,000 cases of AIDS and still no one want to use a condom.

Once again we humans do it again ... its not one persons fault that we are like this we are all to blame. The sad part is I have no faith that we will ever change as a species. Lets watch next years news and see if I am right .. If we could ever remember OUR mistakes because it seems we only remember others.

October 25, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  6. Tauheed

I can't stand the one sidedness of this issue. There is a whole community being left out here and that is the wholistic, naturalpathic community. Why is it that alternative preventive measures are not talked about on CNN? Why is that naturalpathic doctors are not interviewed near enough? I have never seen an interview of this type. Why is it that other treatments that are readily available for all strains of flu are not exposed on CNN? The shot is NOT the only way to go. Why isn't this professional opinion not shared with the public? Many, many people, including myself, take natural products like herbs and homeopathic products and never experience a flu. We need balanced reporting the same way you want democratic AND republican viewpoints on political issues. There are many people who can benefit greatly with alternative treatments IF they just knew about them. Give people the option they deserve PLEASE!

October 26, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  7. Dave D

Why is no one asking the question...who is NOVAVAX ?

NOVAVAX has cell based rapid production of the H1N1 vaccine.

Why isn't the Gov. funding this break through technology, but instead funding the same old egg based companies that have not been able to make promised vaccine deliveries?

Why is the CDC and FDA denying any alternatives exist when we know they DO exist ?????

October 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  8. Rupie

NovaVax – the little vaccine company that could!
    Vaccines that are cheaper, faster, work better, and are safer – no adjuvants.
    The company from Rockville, Maryland, that has contracts with Spain, India and Mexico, but not in the U.S.? When Sibelius says 2-3 years for a cell based vaccine, she ignores that NovaVax is conducting phase 2&3 trials with a cell based H1N1 vaccine in Mexico NOW.

Does this mean that the lobbyists and politicians win? Does Big Pharma OWN Washington?

Google about – educate yourselves, so you will know when they are lying.

October 28, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  9. Ann F. Keenen

Question: I live in rural western New York and my Doctor said I should get the H1N1 shot. Are shots being given to priority groups first before being given to anyone else? What are my chances of being able to access the shot in my rural area?

October 28, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  10. Tom

I most certainly agree with those comments of Rupie. Qur elected gov. officials are being carpet bombed each and every day with lobbyist from big pharma, with deep pockets, who manipulate the fate of our health care, who don't want smaller start up biotech company's like Novavax to succeed because of market share loss. I really become nausiated when I listen to those shills from the CDC, making statements justifying the billions of dollars given to foreign pharma for practically nothing in return. If our government would have given half those dollars to Novavax, an American entity, our H1N1 pandemic problem would now have already been laid to rest.

October 29, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  11. A. Smith

It appears the planned outbreak of the H1N1 Virus in Mexico City's movie theaters was designed to force President Obama to close the border between Mexico and America.

Why didn't he? Where is the News Media on this subject? A cause and effect which appears to be entirely transparent in regards to the wish list of the Republican lawmakers in Texas to force border closure and promote a extreme range of clamps upon further border travel after the closure resumed.

President Obama did not close the border, and went against harsh and heavy pressure from Texan Republican leaders to do so immediately. What was the intelligence and assessment given to President Obama? Why did President Obama not cater to their demands?

A. Smith