Today on CNN Newsroom

October 26th, 2009

FDA & Unproven Drugs

A new report from the Government Accountability Office says the FDA needs better follow-up on unproven drugs okayed for use. Per the GAO, drugs for cancer and other diseases are still on the market, despite studies later showing they didn't extend patients' lives.

To read a summary of the GAO's report, click here.

For the full report - with a list of "accelerated approval" drugs - click here.
(List begins on PDF pg 47/report pg 42)

***UPDATE***

From Medical Producer Miriam Falco:

Here are some more websites you may want to check out:

FDA info for consumers

FDA safety alerts

FDA MedWatch

Filed under: Kyra Phillips • On TV
  1. Charles Kopack

FDA has, by its track record, proven to be an inefficient mess. Yes, there are still "unproven' drugs out there. But that speaks to the FDA's ineffiecieny; pharmaceutical company greed; and people's desperation against medical inefficiency, greed, and malpractice. People are also interested in getting relief from pain.

Take a look at the "ads" for all of the drugs out there. The lists of "side-effects" are more frightening than the diseases that they are proported to treat.

Here is a question for the FDA. How many viral diseases can you and the doctors cure? (A hint. NONE. Modern tradiontal medicine does not treat diseases, they treat symptoms.)

So it does not surprise me at another example of FDA's inefficiency.

October 26, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Where does the F.D.A. stand on the H1 N1 vaccine if you want to talk about unproven dosnt a drug require four years of testing before its deemed OK .

October 26, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  3. Harvey

Thank you for mentioning the FDA's Approval Process. From what i see, you have just scratched the surface of this topic.
    The FDA mission must have changed from being the consumer watchdog to a marketing platform of pharmaceutical companies. Clearly the federal government has lost its reason for being.
    Allowing Products that are scientifically unproven to have a FDA approval should be criminal. It seems the Profit motive is overriding the best interests of those looking for real help.

October 26, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  4. Damian

As a quadriplegic with chronic low blood pressure I have used the prescription medication Proamatine that you highlighted in your report for many years. I depend on it every day to maintain a normal blood pressure. I know from my own experience it works well for me with no noticeable side effects yet. I do not know what I will do if your report leads to the FDA withdrawing this medication from the market. Just because a medication has not been proven to work does not mean it does not work. The drug maker sometimes just needs to stop dragging its feet and do the scientific studies to show if the drug is still effective or not. Until followup studies are done the media should not infer that these drugs do not work and should be withdrawn.

October 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  5. John

I, like Damian have been relying on certain drugs to keep me alive and going. Prior to taking several of these drugs that are listed, I was near death. Now the flip side.....Have I prolonged my health for a more horrible slower or even a more painful death? Am I destroying other parts of my body because of these drugs that might be irreversible? Charles said it....."Look at all the side effects for every drug that now comes out!" There are other drugs on this same list that my doctor could substitute for the ones I'm on. I would just be nice to know which ones are the most successful and safest to use. I too agree 100% with Harvey's statement.

October 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  6. Randy N

I suppose this surprizes you? Our goverment and everything they have control over are corrupt . You report on it constantly, But yet it sounds more and more you stories are directed by money, I don't have buckets of cash, so I couldn't possibly have a good idea to fix this country, We don't have a chance with thinking like that in this country.

October 28, 2009 at 3:00 pm |