Today on CNN Newsroom

October 27th, 2009

Soldiering On

If you're a regular visitor to the Team Kyra blog, you probably know she's a big supporter of TAPS - a group that helps families of fallen U.S. troops.

Well, a little while back, Kyra heard about a song called "Soldier On"; the people behind it are donating half the song's proceeds to TAPS.

You can find more info on "Soldier On" right here.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips • Military Matters • On TV
  1. peter deveau

kyra,thank you for your support of taps,these soldiers gave their lives so that others can have the freedoms we enjoy.let's not ever forget them.

October 27, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  2. Dennis Lurvey

Kyra, i so appreciate your support of veterans and our issues. I am a vietnam vet. 10 years ago i went to the VA for help finding a job and would up being diagnosed with PTSD "severe and chronic." My stressor event, what caused my ptsd, was Dec 19, 1969, being in the middle of a rocket attack by the vietcong. My medical records confirm being diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder a couple of months later. they didnt call it PTSD back then. since then I've had addiction problems and was homeless for a time, typical. My concern is that, all though they can tell me that my combat related PTSD was the cause of my mental health issues and poor quality of life, it is against the law to compensate me for the 30 years i suffered before the time I applied for benefits. no one encouraged viet vets to get checked out or apply, in fact the symptoms of PTSD will almost assure the most severe casses will not apply. we dont like being around people, cant wait in lines, and cant talk about our experiences without breaking down. my other issue is that vets with PTSD from combat action or vets with traumatic brain injury will not recieve the purple heart. Sec Gates says its a desease, not an injury. I dont agree in my case. If mental ilness can be traced to contact with the enemy, even IED's, then we should be noticed by our country.

October 27, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  3. Dodie ~ California

While I am very happy to hear that something is being done for the families of fallen troops... thank you Kyra!!

I would like to suggest something regarding our war in Afghanistan.

We should have learned from the Korea and Vietnam wars that waging a war within another country just does NOT work! It is like driving an obstetrical course or looking for a needle in a haystack. Their "strike and hide" tactic will always work. I also think Bin Ladden wants this.

Reason: Because we are draining ourselves. We have already been draining this country for 8 years of war. We cannot continue this indefinitely. It is senseless to continue with this war. We are already in an economic crisis. We no longer have the resources nor the economic standing to continue.

There are several ways to win a war. If Bin Ladden can break this country economically with the cat and mouse strategy, then he wins and we lose. We need to pull in our resources. We need to stop spending billions... make that trillions of dollars. If you look at history, at all the great civilizations, they crumbled from within. Seldom were they taken over by another.

We need to learn from China. We need to export more and wage war less. If we do not make these fundamental changes, the future of this country is at stake.

October 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  4. Barbara Neafcy

Kyra, I applaud your efforts for Taps. I think the organization is so worthy. But I'm writing to you about another matter and found know other way to reach you.

You often share stories of everyday people struglling in today's economy. I just recently was let go from my job 2 weeks before a raise was due.

I contacted my mortgage lender who aggreed on a deferral of payments for up to 4 months if needed. I have now learned that despite there documented agreement to allow this deferral, I have been reported to the credit bureas by them for failure to pay. I called to ask them if they've lost their mind but they assured me they didn't. It's apparently just their heart that they've lost.

I'm working part time now, but if I pay for my disabled hubby's meds and groceries and utiilities, I don't yet have enough for a mortage payment, and I've used only 2 of the 4 months I've supposedly been given to catch up! I'M GONING CRAZY!!

Thanks for listenting!
    Barb Neafcy in Iowa.

October 28, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  5. Lydia

I was shocked to hear Kyra make the statement that " You can run, you can hide, but you cannot escape the deadly attack of the Taliban." I'm sure that she didn't mean it to sound the way that it very definately did. It sounded as if she were impowering the Taliban. I can only imagine how much any militant supporters of that very terrible group cheered when they heard her.

October 28, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  6. Kristen

Ok, you guys need to keep the blogs updated (by air date). Just give us a space where we can comment freely on the show as a whole.

LOOKING GOOD DON!! Put those glasses back on!!!

Love the Lemon.

October 29, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  7. Para tu

all the democrats independents Republicans we needs your support exceptional your votes next weeks is very important in N . J, and in Virginia for the Gov Corzine and the Gov Deeds talk with your friends your families we needs their support too they will go working together very strong with President Obama our economic is very good now our President working everyday for our nation because he want a nation flourishing with the health care reform of new jobs will created for the small businesses also created of jobs of new in the manufacture for the workers and their families

October 29, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  8. Fred

This is very noble work for those who have contributed to serving their country and the cause of freedom – those men ( & women ) derserve all the best that the world has to offer in the way of healing them and honoring them. Soldier on!

October 30, 2009 at 3:07 pm |