Today on CNN Newsroom

November 3rd, 2009

President Obama: One Year Later

One year after he won a historical presidential election, 54% of Americans approve of the job Barack Obama's doing in the White House. Of those questioned in the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released today, 45% say they disapprove.

The survey suggests the president's overall approval rating remains above 50% even though a majority of Americans disapprove of how he is handling the economy, health care, Afghanistan, Iraq, unemployment, illegal immigration and the federal budget deficit.

We want to hear from you. How do you think the President is doing one year later?

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. Diana NJ

When I voted for the man, I did not believe he walked on water, so I am very pleased at how he is doing. What was important to me was bringing back Respect for our country that he is doing, health care reform, I am still waiting for him to weigh in and push harder, Gay rights and that he is starting to take a better hand in. Get us our of Iraq in the best way possible, this I believe he is doing in steps. Stop this ridiculous War on Terror, that blended into too many areas and was vague... that he is doing..

November 3, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Is 54% a scientific poll or a CNN poll our president is Ok but he drags his feet on issues that needs quick resolve he's seems to take on more then he can deal with at one time.

November 3, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  3. Dr. Mehta

President has not proved anything yet .

November 3, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  4. Dan

I didn't vote for the man, so don't blame me. I don't understand, in regards to the economy, let's print more money off so we can jack up the deficit more.
    As an individual, I can't do that, so why should our government be allowed to do it? It is called THEFT.
    As far as the comment about Gay rights, God created Eve, not Steve, for Adam. And people wonder why all the disasters. It is because the almighty is trying to get our attention.

November 3, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  5. Mary

This president is destroying everything our country was founded upon. He is leading it to moral and economic destruction.. Many of those he surrounds himself with/seeks advice from are either socialist or markist. I do not approve of his direction for The United States of America.

November 3, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  6. Maya Thomas

I approve of the choices President Obama is making for our country and his leadership. He is making tough decisions that are good financial decisions combined with our responsibility to one another morally.

There are 5 people in my family. My husband has a high risk job that pays very little (police officer). We have 3 kids. My husband and the children have insurance and I do not.

The health debate is important to me. The current system benefits a struggling family like mine if a medical emergency happened to me because I would still get emergency room care.

I would prefer to contribute a small amount that would help everyone in the US to have insurance. I believe it will save money for the wealthy (and everyone else who pays taxes and has insurance) who would pay for my health care under the current system. When everyone contributes a little the burden is shared and everyone has the care that we need to be a strong country.

I support the President's economic decisions. I think the President saved our country from another Great Depression. I believe his team of economic advisors are creating jobs and strengthening our country. I support the President's decisions regarding our military and Afganistan.
    Maya Thomas

November 3, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  7. ELLIOTT, FL

Let's see..., a 54% is a failing grade in any school/university . . .

Rewarding failing business practices, I bet cost him 20%...

Contributing significantly to our overall national debt, possibly cost him 15%...

Not having the "plans" (Health Care, Employment, War, Gitmo, etc) he assured the nation he possessed, cost him at least 10%...

Yep, looks like a failing grade to this card carrying Independent...

November 3, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  8. Ron Foupht

The President is doing a terrible job. I think he is in way
    over his head and is surrounded by a bunch of idiots.

November 3, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  9. Sally

I voted for him and I regret it now!

November 3, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  10. Dan

I didn't vote for the man, so don't blame me.
    The majority of this country voted for this man because he was going to bring "Change". Yep, by the time he gets done with his spending plan, and significantly raises your taxes (Oh, he will), that is what you will have left in your pocket::CHANGE. Maybe, if you are lucky, you will have quarters instead of pennies.
    It makes you wonder when the election was held, a lot of people in my local area they interviewed thought Sara Palin was his VP. Ignorance.
    CHANGE!!!
    You reap what you sow.

November 3, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  11. Kevin

I think President Obama is doing a good job of pushing long-term agendas such as energy, environment and foreign policy. He has had good ideas for using taxes wisely like transferring $80 billion from bank subsidies to Pell grants and ending the F-22 funding. He's doing well in gaining consensus for some aspects of health care reform.

But I'm very disappointed with his continued projected budget deficits. I would like the president to give us a 2011 budget that is balanced by raising taxes on the wealthy and cutting spending for the rest of us.

Dan, it's called borrowing money, not printing money...and yes individual Americans did way too much of that as well. Think of how much "theft" occurred during the past decade and you know this is both a Republican and Democrat problem. The national debt under Pres. Bush grew by almost $5 trillion. Under president Obama the debt has grown just over $1 trillion, but I give half of that to carryover from the recession started in the Bush years.

November 3, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  12. Clinton R Bowen

The president is doing a wonderful job on all of many fronts. We are very bleesed to have him, a president for a change that has the ab ility to think things through befor he acts . I think we shoud responsibley reduce our military presence in the mid east to a diplomatic presence. One of supplying arms & monitary funds to the people that are willing to fight the Alquida& Taliban in defence of thier own countries.

November 3, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  13. Dan

Kevin, call it what you will, but given another 6 months, he will start raising our taxes because he has to pay for his "borrowing" some way. You will then have "Change" in your pocket. That was the campaign he ran, was "change". I hope I have quarters instead of pennies in my pocket.

November 3, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  14. lonnie

Obama is only doing what his handlers will allow him to do. . . . the question should be . . . . Soros one year later. . . . or RAHM one year later. . . .

November 3, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  15. Carl Meek

Obama stinks as a president

November 3, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  16. Charlotte

3 more years.

November 3, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  17. Don Urbanchuk

My concern is that the President overanalyzes everything and he is reluctant to make a decision. Pick a Topic, health care, Afaganistan, Irac, the Economy. Where doe he want to lead the country - It doesn't appear he knows.

I hope I am wrong.

November 3, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  18. Hollis Lefever

President Obama is charismatic,uncomprehending, leading us to economic disaster.

November 3, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  19. glenda smallwood

I think he's doing a fantastic job, that is why I can't believe the american people will vote republican so soon. They are the one's that caused the country's problems. Wake up people.

November 3, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  20. Ben

when it comes to the president of the U.S. i feel personality is the last thing I could possibly care about his incompetence is my chief concern having seen no economic turnaround whatsoever since his election. i am still without a job, and will soon be homeless despite my efforts to look for a job and apply for employment. businesses simply are not hiring and are either going bankrupt or cutting back. I'd like to see what answers the president as well as the democratic congress have for americans like myself as far as generating jobs and work and cutting back on taxation.

November 3, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  21. Madeleine Tavares

I think it is unreasonable to judge the effects of Obama's Presidency after just nine months. Some quick things like Cash for Clunkers was helpful but other policies are barely in the implementation phase and have certainly not had sufficient time to work or not. I like his thoughtful, measured and careful approach to decision making and I understand the need for incremental steps to move policies forward. It is unfortunate that so many of us require immediate results – which is essentially how the debacle on Wall Street occurred – people couldn't see past the short term. I guess we haven't learned very much from the experiences of the past year or so.

November 3, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  22. Phil

It took the republicans 8 years to destroy the economy. It may take a little while for Obama to clean up the mess.

November 3, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  23. Corinne Samson

I am so proud of our President Obama. Shame on the Americans who are ready to give up after only 11 months. He did inherit historic challenges. Realistically do you thing anyone could repair the damage that has gone on for years in just 11 months. Give him your support for 4 years. If he does not bring peace, a recovering economy and affordable health care for us all then vote him out. Look at your own issues and can you or have to cleaned your house issues in this short of time? Be real America. It no longer needs to be us and them. Our counytry will continue to be in trouble if we do not compromise on issues and work together for the good of ALL the people. Congrats Pres Obama for giving us a softer image in the world.

November 3, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  24. Cindy

I am constantly shocked/amazed/embarrassed at how UNpresidential our president is. I don't see him being re-elected.

November 3, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  25. sally

I think the President is doing a fabulous job. I find his energy and optimism to be amazing. I have no problem with a deliberate evaluation of the war in Afghanistan and believe our President is quite wise for his young age. He is unbelievably courageous.

November 3, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  26. Ann-Marie Stillion

President Obama is doing an awesome job. He is leading our country through a profoundly difficult period. No leader pleases everyone all the time. What I have in our president is a man I can trust and someone who inspires me every time I see him. That means a lot right now.

I hope Americans get a break soon and I wish the haters would wise up and start looking for solutions and ways to work together instead of making up crazy criticisms.

November 3, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  27. O Barbour

It doesn't take much of a brain to see that the 54 percent approval rating to 45 percent is pretty close to what elected Obama. I would say that the 54 percent are democrates to 45 percent republican. I believe that CNN along with the other news agencies are really not giving Obama time to do his work. How long will it take to undo 8 years of bush? I say at least 4 years.

November 3, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  28. Lisa B.

I think his inexperience is showing on so many different levels. Indecision on Afghanistan, Iraq, healthcare, economy. He's also surrounded by TOO MANY LIBRALS!!! He needs to move more towards the center. Not everyone thinks redistribution of wealth is the answer. This administration never met a tax they didn't like. Soon we'll be taxed for every night we spend in our own beds!

November 3, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  29. Clive

We just need to be patient with the president , we give bush 8 yrs to bring the country to her knees and now we expect it to fix in 8 months . It don't work that way

November 3, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  30. betty white

I like that Dan...change is all we got and unfortunately it is turning into pennies very quickly. He's obviously in over his head...and quite frankly I can't respect a president who doesn't put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. That lack of gesture right there speaks volumes to me and what he thinks of America.

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  31. charles farrier

i think hes doing a good job considering the mess bush left him.
    also wed be leaveing the afgan war by now if bush didnt start his unjust iraq war ..where are those WMDs????

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  32. Dallas

I think President Obama is doing a terrific job. Republicans will complain no matter what he does. He's been in office 10 months and already has done more for this country than his predecessor did in 8 years. It still boggles my mind that Bush was elected twice.

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  33. len dog

YESi approve OBAMA because i feel he is doin good fixing bush mess thats reel bush could not fix the economy he messed up but OBAMA is doin good and they know it.

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  34. Kenneth L. Farmer

Yes! I believe President Obama is doing a fair job considering the mess that was left in his lap by the previous administration. Its only been a year people. The real problems with the majority of americans that don't like or support Obama is more personal than professional.

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  35. Carolyn Neuman

Dear Tony,

Glad you asked ! What do I think about President Obama and his policies?
    They are great ! I have been waiting for his type of presidency since 1931. People need to drop their fear and have patience. His methods will make our country stronger in the long run. Just you wait Henry Higgins, just you wait !!

Carolyn Neuman

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  36. Terry Werick

I read Dreams from my Father years ago and was stunned by this young man's insight and thoughtfulness, knew he was someone the world would not ignore. When he ran for president in "Hillary's Year" I campaigned for him with fervor! One year later, I am watching – it's too early to know the whole story of course, but he is as I expected – smart, thoughtful, and admirable. One year is not long, but after an eternity of bluster and cowboy politics I am pleased with President Obama's work.

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  37. Louise Silsby

Tony,

Americans' expectations are so unrealistic. It took us eight years to get to this low and yet everyone expects a turn around in one year. Get real!

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  38. Cindy

I think Obama is doing a GREAT job given the mess he inherited. Where were all these people who are complaining while the Bush administration was running up the deficit and walking all over our personal rights and deregulating banking and Wall Street so his buddies could get even richer? This country is supposed to be BY the PEOPLE and FOR the PEOPLE. I'm pretty sure the founding fathers meant EVERYONE, not just the greedy ones who don't seem to care about people in our country suffering. There are adults and children going hungry in our country but I haven't heard anyone telling that to people coming to America for a better life.

November 3, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  39. Tom Anderl

Our president has spent the taxpayers money like a drunken sailor on leave after 5 years at sea. Are you kidding me? No one i know has anything positive to say about this administration. And can come give me a cogent reason why Oboma was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize? What's next, maybe the Heisman because he watched a college football game?

November 3, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  40. Hollis Lefever

As an MD with 50 years as a health care provider I see Obama turning a blind eye to the most vital part of health care reform: Tort Relief.

November 3, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  41. Al

I agree with Mary (10:25). He parades his family around and reminds me of a slimy used car salesman, trying to sell us a lemon! Yet, at the same time, taking our money from us to give to those that should be getting there own money by working hard in the economy!

My Grandchildren will never be able to payoff what he has done to us.

I believe in the last year, he has done nothing but make the USA weaker.

November 3, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  42. Barbara Mays

Hey there, I think President Obama is doing a great job! I was a little disapointed he was giving in to those republicans on the "Public Option" in the health care reform bill.
    But, I still think he will get this country rolling again in the right direction and get the Bush mess cleaned up!
    Thanks,
    Barbara

November 3, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  43. Dick

President Obama is doing quite well, especially considering the adversity he has to deal with from within Congress. Can you imagine being the CEO of a large company that has 40% of its senior managers working to undermine everything you are doing? They are willing to see the country fail so that Obama will fail with the hope they can then win in future elections.

November 3, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  44. KAREN ELLIOTT

I feel Pres. Obama is doing a fine job-He was handed a real mess. He is doing what he feels is best just like any other Pres. wopuld do. He is a vewry honest and caring person- Just a wonderful person. If anyone thinks they can do a better job then they should have run for President. He has done alot for the American people in just 1 year-more than Bush did in eight years.

November 3, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  45. Chiko

Americans have a very short memory. We all forget that all these problems of unemplyment, Afghanistan, the economy and illegal immigration existed way before President Obama came into office. For the most part the Republican government headed by George Bush ignored the economy and unemployment, focusing instead on leading us into a sham war with Iraq, shied away from illegal immigration because they did not have the courage to handle it and generally brought the country and the entire world to the edge of a terrifying global economic meltdown. How soon do we forget!
    This President has at least the good sense to surround himself with intelligent people to help him make decisions and personal feelings aside, he must be given an "A" for his efforts. He has taken on more than any other president has been able or willing to do in such a short time and his efforts are yielding results. He has also taken on the cause of the common American in fighting insurance companies, banks and other big corporations who had previously been allowed to run wild. Good job President Obama, time will vindicate you.

November 3, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  46. Ruskin

I believe the president and his administrative team have done a great job within this first year. What people seem to forget is that turning a derailed economy around, fixing a terrible health care system, and winning hearts and minds in Afghanistan comes as slow as molasses. We do not live in a totalitarian country, but rather a democratic one which involves congress in every decision the president makes. Progressive movement is very slow, especially when the president must wait on congress to pass bills that are important to the people.

November 3, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  47. len dog

a lot of white people are just jealust because he is BL@CK n SMART.

November 3, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  48. Willow

I think he's doing an awesome job of pulling the wool over unsuspecting American's eyes. He only promotes himself and his policies (which are all about the big corporations and the lazy people waiting for another hand out) but does nothing to help the hard-working American people. He continues in his own self serving ways and has absolutely no compassion or intention to help the basic, hard-working, true blooded American citizen.

November 3, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  49. Clint from Tulsa

He is a great man doing a great job. Yes, the Nobel prize was premature, and I think he has been way too timid and compromising on health care. However, nobody could have walked into the situation that he has and handled the issues any better. Obama’s administration has been working to overcome almost impossible issues since day one and they have been doing it with intelligence and dignity that has been recognized worldwide, and that could only prove to benefit the American people in time to come.

November 3, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  50. Phat Khong

I think our President,and First Lady have been see everything go through in their life,and understand how touch for American people. that why he look deep down to american family for his policy,

November 3, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  51. Diane Eames

Are you accurate in televising that a majority disapproves of the job Obama is doing? He's doing as good as he can considering the schizophrenic behavior of the conservative right. They treat him as the anti-Christ. His wise, well thought out policies are being fought viciously by a rabid minority that seem to want big business to kill our society.

November 3, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  52. DoNoHarm

President Obama has done better than we thought he could in such a short time. He has returned a level of respect to the US from countries that were adversaries. We also recognize, learning a bit of what had been the norm in the past administration, that the POTUS has to tread lightly. It is his belief that compromise and looking forward is the best way to go. That alone takes a lot of dialogue and patience. It also takes a lot of teaching of the average citizen. I bet he hadn't realized how ignorant we are and hypocritical. Hey, better late than never. President Barack Hussein Obama has transcended politics, nationalism, religion and gender. (Partly from Depak Chopra.) I am, with President Obama at the helm, proud once again to be a citizen of the U.S.A. Thanks for all you do at CNN!

November 3, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  53. el don Rodrigo

Good morning Tony

Let’s see how does one evaluate this? Oh, most jobs have a 90 day period of evaluation. Gives the employer and employee a feel and fit for the job. In the first 90 days "W" took the office, it was at a snails pace. His articulation ranged from heh, heh, heh to mannerisms of a clown whose jokes no one got. Also he is got to be the only President living that made up his own vocabulary not to mention that nothing was really done.

President Obama on the other hand, had instituted plans, departments and actual work productivity in his first 90 days and is carrying on that cadence with a vocabulary that is in concert with the rest of the English speaking world. He started out the gate running and hasn’t stopped. This nation is proud of achievers and what ever the issue or politics, we as a country have to recognize these bench marks for its merit and what it represents. We shouldn't be concerned with clowns like Lush Lim Blaugh Blaugh and commentaries like that who serve no purpose other than to make their pocket books fatter, like his presence. This kind of “talk” serves no solution but infers "yes we can't!"

Past Administration D-
    Obama Administration A-

el don Rodrigo

November 3, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  54. Dennis Houde

Tony, I think the President is doing just fine. You can ask me again a year from now. I think he needs at least 2 years to fix what it took Bush 8 years to do.
    Thanks, Dennis

November 3, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  55. alma

First of all, Tony, I love your style! I love, respect and honor Pres. Obama and whatever decisions he makes, I'm for him. He shows that he is for the people of the U.S. and for the world. He is doing a great job!

November 3, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  56. Ira D Jinkins Sr

Tony, I voted for the president and democrats during the past election. I am disappointed with the republicans and the critics, that have and are putting party loyalty ahead of doing what is right for our nation and all Americans. Because of this false mentality by the republicans and the critics we are losing a golden opportunity to rebuild our nation for the 21st Century. It breaks my heart that some would rather see our president and ultimately our nation fail, just to soothe their arrogant egos. This is not and never will be patriotism. I am standing with my fellow veterans, to include my son, my daugther, my nephews and other Americans, that have and are serving in our armed forces. We have and are not risking our lives, for this kind of destructive behavior that is causing pain, death and suffering for many of our fellow citizens. This Must Stop for The Greater Good, "The Survival of Our Nation and People".

November 3, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  57. RKS

I am an independent thinker not aligned to a party like a religion. I feel President Obama is doing many important changes. He is honesly doing what he can. The changes in foreign policy and face of the nation to the outsiders, changes to economy, the legal policies and such. What is happening in the country today is controlled and manipulated by various interest groups, mostly business in the name of capitalism or patriotism (I am not against capitalism). The interests of the defence, finance, oil, health and labour are all pulling the country in different directions and confusing the common people. Most people are ignorant of the system, how things work and don't want to even understand. They are happy with the phrases drill baby drill, gay marriage, osama is obama, taxes will go up and such simplistic tactics. Hope the people think it over in a broader sense and appreciate the difficulties for the President to really "Change" the country. Again, any change will cause loss of revenue for lot of fat cats. Noice will continue.

November 3, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  58. len dog

HE SHOULD NOT APPROVE GAY MARIEGE THUOGH.BEING GAY IS NOT RITE IN GODS eyes that why he destroyed sodom and gomora i dont think kides should grow up thinking its rite because that is nasty its descusting.

November 3, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  59. Jennifer (CT)

Good afternoon,

I believe he is doing great! As americans, we need to stand by the President. He deals with a lot of hard issues, and should try to trust him in all issues.

We talk about past presidents, JFK, FDR... Well americans used to stand by them.

As an american we have so much freedom because of past presidents, and the current president is good and needs our support in the world.

If you don't believe in what he is doing, why don't you go move to third countries and come back. I bet you will support him!

Mr. President! Good job and keep working on what you are doing! I believe in you! I know you will get the job done!

– Jenn

November 3, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  60. ggla49

Our President Obama, is doing what he said, he's going to do when we (The People Of America) elected him for President. Yes! his performance is Excellent. One of the most important thing that he needs to do, as I quote: "TO RETURNED ALL THE TROOPS HOME FROM THE WAR ZONE?"

Also, to have "ALL PERSONS' IN THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA, especially, in EL PASO, TX. NEAR OUR BORDER-LINES TO SPEAK ONLY STANDARD ENGLISH. QUESTION: – "What will this out come be?", and don't give persons' any form of being a Citizen, if they can't speak "STANDARD ENGLISH."

Regards,

ggla49
    Fort Bliss Army Spouse

November 3, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  61. len dog

we need prayer in schools to.

November 3, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  62. dennis linville

Well lets break it down here and just see what kind of job he is doing.
    1.) people are loosing their homes and jobs . his solutions?
    give million dallar bonuses to the ones that got our economy in this condition .Nothing to bring back industry and create new jobs.
    2.) War on terror.his solutions ?
    Leave our troops without proper support while he observes the election of a drug dealer that announced earlier he wants the support of the taliban(part of the terror network and who we are supposed to be fighting at the moment) Al this while our borders are wide open and terrorist brag of having 3,500 cells established in this country now ready to act on the recent go ahead from Osama.terrorist in gitmo will get vaccine for swine flu before Americans
    3.) war on drugs his solution?
    Not only has he said he is working closely with the new president/drug dealer of afganistan, he has left our troops in harms way while he helps get the drug dealer elected.
    When Schwarzenegger ( who i consider a traitor to this country) shot to leagilize drugs not only did he make no effort to stop it but Informed the FBI not to enforce the drug laws anymore.
    4.) health care his solutions?
    In the begining of this huge show it was said there were 41 million Americans without health care. now, almost a year later,190 page bill that provides for prisoners and illeagals there are still 25 million Americans that wont have health care,the very basic necessity of life.
    5.) nobel peace prize his responce?
    This award has always been reguarded as for ones that have done great things to benifit the world but he was awarded this for what people hoped he woul do? Forget the fact he has done nothing. forget the fact he has done far more for the destruction of the world but what about the deserving individuals who were denied this award so he could be given it? he accepted it
    Not only has he done nothing that he said he was going to do but he has gone to great lengths to accelerate the distructive forces in this country.

November 3, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  63. alan

I think the president is doing the best he can for this country, After all he inhereted this mess from the previous administration. no well be the perfect president and cannot please everybody.

November 3, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  64. William J. Friend

I am very dissappointed in Obama... He has accomplished nothing he has promised. I rate his job performance as an "E". I also feel he is is way over exposed. I believe he is in love with himself !

November 3, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  65. steve poe

I believe that president Obama is the 2nd coming of " Slick Willy ". He and Clinton both have the ability to look right into the camera, smile and then lie right through their teeth. I understand that this is how he think the game is played. What bothers me the most is that he thinks we believe him.

November 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  66. charles

i think president obama is doing good. he only been in there some months and has done more then some of the other presidents that been there eight years people should stop acting like he had plenty time to do alot. obama has done well

November 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  67. Alan

The President is doing a good job, he has a lot to deal with, remember our last administration had a hard time with a complete thought. The spending is due to the last 8 years. And I havent seen any taxes increase yet, Did I miss a tax increase? Every plan I have heard from our administration on repairing our deficit, sounds reasonable. Maybe we would be better off geting behind it and letting it work.

November 3, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  68. Paul Dreher-Wiberg

Considering the mess he inherited, and the fact that the Republicans have adopted a strategy of opposing him in everything as a means to bring him down, I think he's doing very well. He has brought integrity, levelheadedness, and statesmanship back to the White House.

November 3, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  69. Nikkia Sherrod

I think President Obama is doing a grest job. We all must remember he is "cleaning up a mess", he did not make.

November 3, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  70. Jan

It took Bush 8 yrs to put us in a huge mess and now everyone expects it to be fixed in 1 yr.? How crazy is that. I think Obama is doing a very good job with the mess he was handed. It's Congress that has been sluffing their feet. It's fine to be a little careful but when they keep delaying the Insurance Reform and bickering over the Public Option, it always makes the President look bad. For me, just add the Public Option and if no one likes it, it can be reversed. But don't blame Obama. I like the job he's doing. What does everyone think he should be Superman!!

November 3, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  71. Mitchell

All he does is attack his critics and blame everything on others. If you look forward to living in a bankrupt and socolist country then he is your man.

November 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  72. CAT

Our President is doing a great job. I trust him because he is incredibly intelligent and will always make the best decisions for our Country. It's only been one year, and we all know our government works slowly. People who critize President Obama are usually not well educated.

November 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  73. Jeff Knepper

The polls reflect the beginning of a disasterous decline in peoples' acceptance of the lopsided governing by the Democrats. The bailout was not bi-partisan and if they ram through Health Care in the same way... few Democrats will be elected to any post for the next 20 years, IMHO.

November 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  74. Marina

He did not prove he can make any decision yet, he is concentrating on his own image, not work to be done. He has wrong priorities politicaly driven, not for benefit of the country. What polls do you use? Other polls have different approval rating, much lower.

November 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  75. Bianca M. Walker

I am pleased with President Obama's initiatives. Let us not forget that the deficit, the economy, health care, and other key issues were laid into his lap. Since his inaguration, President Obama has hit the ground running striving to make a difference in this country for generations to come. Although some are displeased with his approach, I am satisfied and happy that he is not our "ordinary" politician. He is not sanctioned with the "status quo". We elected him to bring about change & I believe that he will.

November 3, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  76. nigel, ontario

what you have a new president WOW!
    not much changed i see.
    well why would it the core of old men in the senate etc,make it impossible for a new president to do anything,for a new president to do anything new ,you first need new senators not the same ones who have been there for 40 years.
    America cant have new policies and new direction if the same men and women run the country. PERIOD..
    the senators should only be allowed to hold office for the same period as your president then they cant be in the senate again,

November 3, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  77. Granny Pants

Wow! I guess the White House hasn't done a good enough job of explaining WHY the deficit is so high righ now!

Please check into this for accuracy and develop a news report around this if you think it is useful, which I sure do!

The Obama administration has INCLUDED the real cost of the WARS into the budget! The Bush administration kept these costs separate to further their agenda. Now, we know what we are REALLY doing, compared to hiding the true cost of war!

Now the Republicans are using the ingnorance of the American public on these facts to call the Obama administration fiscally irresponsible.

Where were those Republicans during all of the fiscal irresponsibility that caused the majority of what is called the current deficit? I cannot believe people, including the media are not talking about this more!

I think Obama has done more for America in the 10 months that Bush ever did in his 8 years! The desperate Republican machine and their propoganda seem to be working. Can you all find some balanced reporting on the real deficit numbers between the administrations and bring to light the cost of War?

Granny Pants

November 3, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  78. Thomas Casey

Obama's polls drops are due to liberals not supporting his more moderate positions that he took which are much different from the positions that he took on the campaign trail. To increase his polls he needs to veer back to the left to appeal the liberal wing of the democratic party.

November 3, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  79. oldlady

All of us have grossly uneducated opinions on how the President is doing; we all carry our own agenda into this argument; I doubt that any of us care how the country is doing, as long as we have what we want. I imagine that politicians are the same. I write to my representatives all the time; never get anything other than a boilerplate answer. We have a great deal of apathy in this country, unless it directly affects us, except for the extremes of both parties. Do I care about gay marriage if I'm not gay? Do I care about climate change if I can still breathe and drink relatively clean water? But I might want to warn all of us that our children will definitely care about what we do today; they may not have a country worth changing by the time we're all through with it. My generation stopped a war in Vietnam; what will the next generation do? Clean up our mess, that's what. And they will bury us . . .

November 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  80. James

The president is doing no worse then any other president in a recession like what we are going through.
    Plus I thought the president actually took office in February so wouldn't that make it nine months, or is CNN just rounding up to make some news.

November 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  81. Beverly Tarlton

FOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE! Why are our tax dollars not going to our healthcare and social security(future retirement)? Why are our tax dollars being wasted on corprate america? Bring home security HOME! Our children are suffering in our country (education and healthcare and poverty) not to mention unemployment on the rise.

Concerned American praying that each one of us ask ourselves everyday. How can I make a difference?

OBAMA please make a difference!

My son died 11/02/2008 at the age of 21 years old and his best friend Andrea 20 years old. I lost my career, my home. I need my country to join together and make a difference one day at a time. BE KIND

November 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  82. Norm in Alaska

Give him a YEAR!.....he took office in January this year....he has 3 months to go. Iraq is not his call....If he had his way...we would have never gone there. Afghanistan is also a "BUSH" war that GW never finished! Don't blame Obama for that one either. Unemployment he also inherited...You want to blame somebody....bring back Rumsfeld and Cheney....and we can point big fingers at them.....

November 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  83. Ellen

I'm far left, and of course, I want it all done now. But let's take a look at what he has done: we're getting out of Iraq and he is seriously studying a shift on Afghanistan; he has reset the button on climate change, alternative energy, infrastructure support, education; he signed bill for equal pay for women and hate crimes protection fo gay and disabled folks; he has committed to close Guantanamo and he has ended torture; he has lifted the ban on stem cell research and is about to on gays in the military; he single-handledly restored our credibility in the eyes of the world; brought us from the brink of another Great Depression and will deliver a reform of health care that will insure millions of Americans. He's got the car industry back on its feet again with a no-brainer program that peopel really responded to. He's managed to never loose his cool, take his beautiful wife out on dates and provide a stellar example of what constitutes dedicated fatherhood. So he didn't win the Olympics for Chicago, he was a good homeboy and gave it a decent try. A+ Let's support him to keep going, and bring back prosperity, fairness and peace. Boohya.

November 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  84. Joy Hance

I believe it's time to have an extended conversation on the nature by which your polls and surveys and other entities' polls and surveys are being conducted. Are they all being conducted in the same manner? If not, what are the variations? Before a poll or survey result is given, why can't we also be given the information on how, when and where the poll or survey was taken? In the 20th century, polls were taken by telephone land line many times. If that is the primary mode of poll and survey communication now in the 21st century, then I do not believe that the results should be trusted, and I want to know if that was in fact the method of collecting data. Many people, esp. younger citizens, no longer have land lines, thus skewing the results if that is the only method used.

November 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  85. Wilma Dillard

First things first, yes it has been a year since the election but President Obama has only been in office since JANUARY 09. Therefore, it has NOT been a year. Also, what are the demographics for the participants in this poll? Where are the polls' coordinators finding the participants who answer the poll's questions? Are we being fair here by polling Americans with various opinions? Or are we just polling the ones that we know will be in opposition to the President?

November 3, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  86. Heather

I am disappointed in the job that Obama is doing. I did not vote for him but hoped that he could make a positive difference. So far the "change" that I see him promoting is not going in the right direction. As an Illinois resident familiar with Chicago politics, I see Obama trying to play those same games in Washington. He has gotten nothing done and spends too much time keeping those "personal likability" numbers up rather than making decisions. His vision for America is not my vision for America.

November 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  87. James Banks

It is clear to me that all these polls ranking the Obama job thus far, is too soon. Let's give him some time. I believe that Republicans are sabotaging his effort so as to regain government seats.

My grandmothewr used to say good will prevail. If his intent is pure, he will regain popularity and the will of the people will be done.

In terms of goverment change, political science has long stated, it takes time.

Let's hang in there.

November 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  88. Carol Lee

The only ones who are complaining are the Republicans, and that is because they will not let go of campaign mode. Now that Obama has won, all parties should rally around him in order to have a better America, but opponents don't see this as anything but political strategy.
    I feel our President is doing a wonderful job of moving this country forward and keeping his campaign promises. Obama is by far, on all points , one of the GREAT ONES . In just one year, our world is a better place and getting better each day.
    Ms. C. Lee

November 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  89. Gerald

President Obama inherited a total mess, both domestically and internationally. He has moved forthrightly on the major fronts, the economy, the wars, health reform, and numberous less critical issues.

The main obstacle he's faced are the Republican and their just say no strategy. Additionally, the matter of race is a constant factor as related to the considerable opposition he experiences.
    There's no question that Obama is the brightest, most articulate president this country has ever known. His approach to problem solving is absolutely dynamic as he attempts to involve all the key players in the process and carefully consider options based on the best advise available. He's doing a fantastic job, as will be confirmed when these various critical issues have the time and attention needed to be resolved.

My major concern is with the continuation of the was in Afganistan which is a no win situation. Orginally our goals were to get Bin Laden. What now are our goals and objectives? We need to get out ASAP and allow the Afgan people sovle their own political problems.

November 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  90. mary ann capon

He is doing great especially considering the 10 year mess he inherited.. Anoyone who expected overnight massive changes has just grown up with 15 second soundbites creating false expectations. Immediate solutions and gratification is NOT reality!! No magic wands to kiss & make everything immediately better. It takes patience and time.
    It is definetely tough sledding and the improvements are small & in tiny increments, but all have been in the right direction on the economy, health care, international relations, restoring solid science applications to research and global climate. The wars and US involvement deserve lots of analysis before the next steps. It comforting to have a Commander in Chief now who takes the time he needs to feel he has considered & weighed the options and consequences.

November 3, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  91. jim pullaro

He is doing a fantastic job under the most trying circumstances of any recent president. The results of his leadership will be more apparent with the passage of time.

History is the best judge of past president's, I believe Obama will be judged in the same catagory as Washington, Lincoln, Kennedy.

November 3, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  92. Susan

I voted for him and would vote for him again today. I believe he's doing a great job. Look at what he inheritated from his predecesor. Unfortunately none of us really knew all of the hidden Bush pitfalls had left for whoever was elected.

Having said he's done a great job, I am disappointed with the economy and job situation across the country, and also disappointed with the monotoring with the financial markets, however I honestly don't believe the republicans have an answer to these issues either. I believe Obama has been true to his word in addressing the issues he campaigend on, and has made some progress. Unfortunately his ability to reach across party lines has not bode well for him, as the repulicans can't seem to get over the fact that it shouldn't be 'us vs them.'

Honestly folks – if the republicans had so many great ideas why didn't they do anything about those ideas during the 8 years they were IN office?

November 3, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  93. Kanti

Tony,
    I believe it is essential to measure Presidential performance and compare to other Presidents. However, it is equally essential to measure with the same yardstick and under the same issues, like: did the previous President tackle the same issue under similar circumstances, was the economic circumstances the same, were the country at war, what conditions/situations did he inherit.

I believe, media should not try to create news, just report the facts as found with proper investigation, which seems to happen too often.

November 3, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  94. Beverly Tarlton

Just blow the taliban up and then come home. Find and end. We need to focus on home!

November 3, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  95. jerry p

give the guy a break. look what he stepped into; we where spiraling downward greatly. we are so short -attention spanned that we have forgotten our desperation for change, partly because the constant voice of misinformation has begun to settle in our minds as true. as far as healthcare, he is trying his hardest. unfortunately, he is dealing with opposition from both sides. he has walked into a terrible arena of broken items. please generate some patience and wait and see how he can turn our nation around.

November 3, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  96. Rose

This President is not ready to run a country. He has done nothing for Amerca, in fact it's worse now than when Mr Bush was president and he still keeps on blaming him.He does not care about our troops giving their lives for his freedom. His health program is a 2000 page mess I hope will never make it to us citizens.

November 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  97. Joe

Americans including the news media MUST be reminded that it was the election that took place a year ago. President Obama has only been in office since January of 2009. This information is secondary, the major issue for President Obama is a question. Is Mr. Obama President of a nation whose people are so ignorant, uncompassionate, small minded and selfish that these same American people expect our President to correct 8 years of problems and issues in less than 1 year.
    America I challenge you to USE YOUR BRAINS, do you really want to look and sound so stupid.

November 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  98. KIR

The President is doing a great job! but you wouldn't know it if we the people was to trust the media talking heads dialogue. The President is strong and will in the end prevail against all the negative spinning by the media talking heads.

There are some of us who do understand what's going on which is someone on each network has made the calculation that it would be easier to use Faux News talking points as facts to generate fake controversies for ratings and to help in trying to destroy our President.

Although I sometimes feel sick because of the way Obama is treated I know in the end he will be victorious because I don't believe he's in office by accident. The media in the end will pay a price from the people for their deliberate role in trying to deligimize our President along with the right wing.

The American people who are the sleeping giants in all of this will feel betrayed by the media and will render a judgement through their rejection of the networks in which the viewership of all participants will hit a bottom low.

November 3, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  99. Bill Rudge

How can the current admistrative policies have a high approval when so much damage is being done to our nation and its economy. And the delay in supporting our troops is unforgivable. God forgive them, most of us will find it hard to do so.

November 3, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  100. jerry p

patience everybody! the angry right has us falling for their bait! think for yourselves; deduce information for yourself. we are plummeted with misinformation and lies. their attack is so effective that many intelligent people are falling for this!

November 3, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  101. Carol Lee

Here's what I think the U.S. should do about Afganistan as well as Iraq. PULL OUT our troops and if we are afraid of what will happen to us at home, what ever the war is costing us, use that money to secure us so tight at home that no one could ever get us.
    Just my opinion . We are there under the assumpyion that we are helping the Afghan people who don't want us there. Let them fight their own fight and we fight our own fight at home and believe me, there is much to fight right here.
    C.Lee

November 3, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  102. Greg, Ontario

All Americans should be ashamed of the way they have treated President Obama. It's disgusting that you would compare him to other presidents when CNN itself has reported he inherited an economy not seen sense 1929.
    Let me break it down for you because your not smart enough to report the truth.

1) He saved the economy and banking system as well as the auto industry and everything tied to it thus saving the jobs that you still have.
    2) He can't create jobs..when the government does that it's Communism.
    3) The state of health care in the US is great...if you can afford or are given insurance. If you can't afford the outrageous fees and conditions your one of the 47 million patriotic Americans that are 1 sickness away from financial disaster or even death because they couldn't pay. But you hold that he would try to fix that as a negative.
    4) When he took over he had to fix the friendships America had with several long time allies..what president has ever had to do that? But does he get credit for it from Americans? NO.

When you take a step back and look at how the media and Americans in general have acted over the last year I think you should all hang your heads in shame and hope this amazing man continues to serve you because if you lose him the damage will be far ranging.

November 3, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  103. Maria D.

I think Pres. Obama is doing the best he can given what he stepped into after former Pres. Bush left office. He actually KNOWS how to speak in public instead of using words like "crusades" when referring to the Middle East–a incident that I am sure or I hope former Pres. Bush regrets! I think he genuinely cares about Americans and about the future of our country. He cares about our health care system and is trying more than any president I've ever seen to make a change. As a physician, I really hope that the other branches of gov't help him bring these changes rather than tear him down!

November 3, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  104. Henya CA,

Our President is doing outstanding job on all front with all the difficult situation we are in, all the mess we left with the last administration, I like that he is taking his time to make difficult decisions, this is the best President we had in a long time very smart intelligent and patient I like hem I give hem A+

November 3, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  105. len dog

8 yrs 4 bush to do this and 1 for obama to fix it ha ha haaaa.

November 3, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  106. len dog

put troops in chicago where they are needed

November 3, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  107. ken

After one year it is obvious who owns obama. He is owned by the banks, wall street. insurance, oil, and the defense contractors. After one year wall street is making billions, the banks are ripping us off, oil prices are up, health insurance premiums are going up 25 %(look at page 22 of the public option) Unemployment is going up for main street, credit card rates are up, bank fees are up, gasoline is up, health insurance premiums are going up 25% per year, bank CDs are down to 1%, and defense contractors are charging the u.s. taxpayers $400. per gallon for gasoline in afghanistan. Hope is gone, there will be no change with obama. And that's the truth.

November 3, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  108. anita

I am very proud of our new President. I am 71 years old and think he and Clinton are the most brilliant of all Presidents that we have had. It will take a long time for our Country to be repaired after the Bush mess. The Repubs have been in 20 of the last 28 years and have made a complete mess of everything. As for jobs, they were all shipped South, and will probably not return. The Cheney company in Iraq sucked so much money out of our economy, (price fixing). I wonder how much will be funneled back to Cheney's pockets??

November 3, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  109. Katy

After voting for Obama, I still was unsure whether or not I could trust a politician (after some troubling last few years), but I have no reservations in saying that he has exceeded my expectations. Not only has he put well-thought strategic plans into action for a striking number of pressing issues, but he has also dealt incredibly diplomatically with criticism of all kinds. At this point, I don't think the US could be in better hands.

November 3, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  110. Dwight L. Griggs

Our President Obama is seemingly standing on an island all alone. He has constantly been bombarded by the republicans since day one. What's worse is that the republiccan propaganda has swayed public opinion once again. How can America forget so quickly our desire for CHANGE and JUSTICE? How can America not see that the republicans are blocking every good thing or president tries to do? I think the republicans lack of cooperation and respect for the President of the United States is downright treasonous and should be punishable by fine or prison or both.

November 3, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  111. Pam Rankin

Here we are (as a country) in the RED. Obama is pushing for more
    spending in the health care bills, the cap and trade bills, war bills,
    bail out bills and what ever other bills he is asking for. Spending money that we do not have is reckless and destroying our money.
    He gets a "F" for helping to destroy our country.
    If those in Congress and Oboma would uphold their oath to the Constitution we would not be in this mess.

November 3, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  112. John T

Any man loves his wife,kids, and dog. What has become painfully obvious is that this President despises Chrsitian people of moral character, small businessmen, sciencists, educators and most anyone else and who disagrees with his statist policies and his disdain for our nation and its Constitution. From being unwilling to show his birth certificate to trying to rush through unvetted, unthought-out, and foolish health and energy legislation, combined with zero experience and a narcissistic personalily, it feels like Germany of the 1930's. Hs ultra radical advisors are coddled and protected by fawning media including the networks, CNN, and MSNBC, and even FOX limits where it goes. Freedom is impossible without an independent press, and the fawning media have allowed people who are up to no good into the highest places of power, and NONE of them respect our nations's Constitution or values. Corruption is worse than during Taminy Hall. Cash for clunkers aspent $5 fopr every dollar given for the clunkers and that is a "success". Now death panels and a government which can't even get vaccination right and buries in the bill the outlawing of private insurance after the 2012 election wants trust? Obama speaks in a nasty, condescending way to us while he unpeat Reaganesque when he addresses Muslims and the UN. Character is defined by who consider your friends. Maoists, imnmoral folks and America haters betray any of the nicer qualities all men possess in some area of their lives.

November 3, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  113. Justin Almeida

I feel the President is doing an excellent job, despite the large obstacles he was faced with coming into office. Americans are notoriously fickle and self-centered when it comes to change in society, never giving our officials enough time to fix a problem before we start complaining about it. President Obama is struggling with the economy, health care, two wars, an environmental and fuel crisis, not to mention all the other smaller domestic issues we have (most of which started with the previous administration), and he is living up to the challenge.
    As a recently returned Peace Corps volunteer (Romania 07-09), I came back to a United States that is obviously scared and unsure about its future. Our polarization is only made worse by pundits spreading hate and misinformation, and mainstream news media being obviously politically slanted and editorially driven.
    I came back to a country that is very different from the one I left in 2007. My wife and I are unable to find work, our savings is draining, we only have a few months of medical insurance left, and we don't qualify for social assistance. But we are still keeping a positive outlook for our future. We are educated and competitive. We volunteer in our community. We will not give in to the fear and hate we see on TV.
    With all of our problems, we still have much more than a majority of people in the world. I lived and worked in such conditions, and consistently inspired people by saying "We have done it in the United States. You can do it here!" I believe in our President, in our elected officials, and I live and love what is still the greatest country in the world! I still believe in "Yes we can!"

November 3, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  114. Dwight L. Griggs

What bothers me the most is how the health care industry can dole out millions and millions of dollars to our elected officials to oppose health reform and this well known practice is not in the Headline News.

November 3, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  115. Becky

Obama has done well, He has actually tried to get work done which is something I haven't seen in many other presidents in my lifetime. It's important to remember a lot of the "Changes" he is trying to do have to go through Congress & The House. Saying they move at a snails pace would be insulting to Snails. He's done quite well considering he was handed a tanked economy when he came into office. The Economy had only tanked a month before the election, It wasn't something any of the candidates had campaigned on.

November 3, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  116. Archi-Tect

Susan talks about what he inherited. DEMOCRATS controlled Congress during the ONLY TWO YEARS of economic problem in the Bush years. How can you blame a man hamstrung by Barney Frank and Nacy Pelosi who are as corrupt as they come? Bush at least did what he believes was right, PERIOD. Obama is watching his base, so he is risking American lives, I bet hge longs to run America like Achmadinijad and Chavez and Castro and Mugabe run theirs. I hate to say it, but it seems the leaders of France, Germany, and Italy have more sense – they lived through all the junk he is supporting and know it doesn't work. The UK is ripe for a revolt as well. The Harvard transcripts are important. I don't think Obama even took Economics 101 and certainly not US or World History. Thayt is why we are doomed to repat all those mistakes. He is an ideologue, not a leader worthy of leading the free world (he doesn't believe in a free world),. All of this is in ANIMAL FARM. Orwell was right. The Pigs are in the Farmhouse. Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright, Cass Sunstein, and yes, Barack and Michelle Obama.

November 3, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  117. Claudia

Well, in one year he had to fix the stuff we knew about...then he had to fix the stuff we didn't know about. And who knows the stuff we can never know about that he is wondering how to fix without calling out the previous administration who we all know is stuck in denile (Cheney).

All I wonder is why CNN gives newstime to people that have been dismissed....Palin dismissed a year ago...redismissed upon her resignation; Cheney dismissed 1 year ago; Rush Limbaugh I dismissed 30 years ago, publically dismissed when he went to rehab and dismissed every day since then. Why are they newsworthy ? Or do you have to look hard in the corners of the gutter to find opposing viewpoints to show you are unbiased. Sometimes we open are minds so much our brains fall out.

November 3, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  118. Daryl

Quite frankly, I'm appalled that any reasonble person can't see that this President is doing everything he can to make the lives of the average American better. It seems to me that the outrage comes from those among us that have a pretty good life, well, the truth is you may not always be so fortunate. Our economy is so unstable and the people that run the majority of the big businesses in our country are so self serving that indiviual financial security is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The President is simply trying to as best he can to level the playing field. Those that have owe a debt to those that helped them get to where they are. There was a time when 'we the people meant something now it's "I and mine". Our President is, in my opinion, simply trying to restore the climate that made our Country great. Bringing back those days past when we asked "not what our Country could do for us, but rather what we could do for our Country".

November 3, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  119. Jim

President Obama inherited huge challenges, but that was the job he ran so hard to win. In his year in office he has only made things worse – taking a deficit that was already large and making it gargantuan, and taking a healthcare system that is rediculously expensive and expanding it rather than lowing it's cost. He is making good on filling a long-standing Democratic wishlist rather than doing what's right for the American public in a time of crisis. So far he has proven that he is a good Democrat but a bad president (but then again any good Democrat makes a bad president in my opinion). My biggest regret is that we had a bad Republican president who adopted fiscal irresponsbility and nation building and confused voters as to what a traditional Republican should be.

November 3, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  120. MR.AL

Wake up America!!!!

Ive been watching politics since John F Kennedy. Richard M Nixion WATER GATE. G.H.W Bush Desert Storm, SSI bush cuts benifits for all new recipiants. Jeb Bush Governor of Florida before 2000 and after 2004, Votes found in car trunk of election worker. Bush Cheney Aministration backed by Conservative Lawmakers year 2000 to 2008. HIGHEST GAS PRICES IN HISTORY, OUT OF CONTROL INSURENCE RATES, INFLATION RISING, WAR INRAQ BEGINS, STILL GOING ON TODAY. BARACK OBAMA JOE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION. Coperate America bail outs Conservatives approve, Insurence for All Conservatives disaprove, Racial slurs by Lawmakers Tea Parties fueled by Special Intrest. Dick Cheney speaks out why now he had eight years to make a change. America stop blameing the wrong man for the problems of today.THNK BACK TO 2000 TO 2008 THATS WHERE THE PROBLEM BEGAN. IN MY OPINION BUSH WAS THE PROBLEM NOT THE ANSWER!!!

November 3, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  121. Al

I think we can think just fine for ourselves. Too bad the people that voted for Barack Hussein Obama II didn't think for themselves....or maybe they did. Too lazy to do their own work, would rather have the US government give them handouts!

I hope when the elections are over, we, the republicans and independents can recover from the damage this administration has done!

November 3, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  122. Chiko

John T, don't be such a hater. There is nothing remotely christian about the attitude of the right wing "christians". They spread hatred of anything non-white in America and are trying to bring up their children to do the same. True christians are accepting of all people and this if the truth be told is the origin of dislike for Obama. Search yourself, am I wrong?? I think not

November 3, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  123. Ellen

John T–

Why do you right wingnuts all sound the same? Why are your posts filled with outright lies, paranoia, and bad, bad spelling? Is it that an articulate, successful and effective Black President makes you feel inferior? Just do a favor, TELL THE TRUTH, instead of relying upon misinformation, hatred, and conspiracies that are dillusional. Get a grip, you so-called Christians.

November 3, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  124. Kathi Tevlin

Please don't tell me that anyone REALLY believes what the anchor just said, that what's going on right now is a splintering of the Republican Party. What's going on right now is a revolution of the moderate, and often silent, majority. Everyone’s used to us being quiet, including ourselves, but the consequences of what’s going on are simply too dire for us to remain on the sidelines any longer. If the Democrats want to spin this for the benefit of the media, that this is all about the Republican Party having an identity crisis, I say "GREAT!" It will be that much easier to vote irresponsible Democrats out of office over the next few years if no one knows what's really happening. We’re going to see many more independent candidates running for office as the moderate majority continues to be fed up with having unruly children running our government. It’s time for us all to step away from the sidelines and take back our country before we have nothing left worth having.

November 3, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  125. Pam Edgar

Our President is an amazing human being. He has made a few mistakes and will make more but who among us, in his position, would not make mistakes. Let's give him and his administration a chance to put our country on the right track. Let's all be willing to forget parties and politics and just work together to make our country work for all of us. We can all make suggestions and give ideas and then work together to pick the best path. Also Fox News needs to remember that they are a news channel and just stick to the news–I am a little scared when people like Beck and Limbaugh rant and rave and have not one new good idea to put forth. I am a 67 year old white Oregonian woman and I am very much all for President Obama

November 3, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  126. Marta Poling-Goldenne

Dear Tony,

President Obama has done an outstanding job over the past year. He has demonstrated incredible leadership in helping our nation face tough solutions to complex problems: dependence on foreign oil, an economy that had suffered under the "hands off" intervention strategy of the Bush administration, lack of equal opportunities and rights for women and people of color, etc. I sleep better at night knowing there is someone in the White House with critical thinking skills, a superior intellect and the confidence to surround himself with bright people to help solve long-term problems. I appreciate the thoughtful, reasoned and deep problem-solving skills of this president. I like the fact that he is married to a very bright woman...he is obviously not threatened by women as men's equals. He is a committed father who wants to give his daughters what he himself didn't have as a child. I admire him professionally and personally. I would vote for him AGAIN in a heart-beat. I pray for him everyday...that God will give him wisdom, tenacity and the fortitude to do what is in the best interests of our nation for the long-haul.

Marta Poling-Goldenne
    Henderson, NV
    Henderson, NV

November 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  127. Dennis Huffman

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ARE ILLEGAL
    ============================================
    WITH EMPHASIS!!!

Nuke Watchdog Criticizes US for Using “False Pretext” to Attack Iraq

UN nuclear watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei is urging Iran to respond quickly to his nuclear fuel proposal while warning the world against using force.

Mohamed ElBaradei: “I therefore urge Iran to be as forthcoming as possible in responding soon to my recent proposal based on the initiative of the United States, Russia and France, which aimed to engage Iran in a series of measures that could build confidence and trust and open the way for comprehensive and substantive dialog between Iran and the international community. The issue at stake remains that of mutual guarantees among the parties.”

The remarks came as Mohamed ElBaradei delivered his final annual report as International Atomic Energy Agency director. His term ends at the end of this month. During his farewell speech, ElBaradei also criticized the United States for using a “false pretext” to invade Iraq.

Mohamed ElBaradei: “I will always lament the fact that a tragic war was launched in Iraq, which has cost the lives of possibly hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians. This was done on the basis of false pretext, without the authorization from the Security Council and despite the Agency and the United Nation monitoring, verification and inspection commission having found no evidence that Iraq had revived its nuclear weapon program or programs involving other weapons of mass destruction. It gives me no consolation that the Agency’s finding was subsequently vindicated.”

November 3, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  128. Clinton R Bowen

President Obama,s election came at just the right time for America,I perish the thought that it could have the other way , for I think if John Mccain had won we would now be in a depression. Our country has gotten to be ungrateful to this president for all the hard work he has done to protect vital finanical instituitions so as to ease the effect on economy, not to mention saving our automobile industry. The right Republican party , is consumed with hatred for union,s an d any other social programs that benifit the middle class or underprivleged people in this country. It is unbelievable that they could hate such a good manthat is only trying to do good for the amaerican people

Thanks .......Clint

November 3, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  129. Philips

with the hoax on swimne flu vaccine for the detainees you imagine people are stay at their home rather to go to vote for their candidate my friends if you needs an government strong exert your right of citizen also people needs a decission on Afghanistan on health care and on the climate change

November 4, 2009 at 7:32 am |
  130. Dan

I am neither a democrat nor republican. I am first and foremost a Christian, and then an American.
    I find it amazing from the above comments that 8 years ago the democrats found it ok to question/disagree with President Bush right after he took office, he could do nothing to please them.
    Now, by the above comments, the democrats are upset that the tables have been turned on their party, that this president needs time.
    Folks, you can't have it both ways. If it was ok for you to give G.W. a hard time, then why can't the republicans question President Obama?

November 4, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  131. Kathi Tevlin

Pam, President Obama is certainly an amazing man; after all, he was elected President of this country against incredible odds. And you're right, all of us make mistakes, no exceptions. Still, I find it very frightening that almost, without exception, the Democratic-ruled Congress is willing to spend enormous amounts of OUR money that we just do not possess for something none of us is in a position to say will work [does any of us know the full extent of where our bailout money has gone?]. It's not that Congress is trying to spend money without realizing we don't have it - they're voting to spend it fully aware of the fact that the spending will have dire future consequences on the citizens of this country, such as high inflation and further devaluation of the dollar. Do you spend your money this way? I'd be willing to bet that you don't. Why should we expect any less from our representatives? The issues we are facing right now go so far beyond party politics it's amazing to me that anyone cannot see that. For instance, last night I watched CNN election coverage for several hours and not ONCE were the merits of the individual candidates discussed. The only factors discussed is what impact the results would have on the president and the political parties in 2010. Does that seem right?

November 4, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  132. santiago

He is NOT doing well and will no doubt turn out to be the worst president in American history! NO DOUBT!

November 4, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  133. Donita

I think he is doing the best he can. He has to work with what he has as for what our budge it like. But I think they can work alittle faster and little harder. But he is making decisions that wont have any more effects on the current problems that we have and what he can do with the overwhleming budget we already have. I think we should spend more time Praying for him and for Congress. I like to see that they work more closely togetther and accomplish goals for our country. We all need to stop biggetering and work together. Our country has become so negative . we are so disappointed and ashame of the last administration and sadly Bush created alot of emenies. But we Need to think Positive and just allow Cogress adn the President to iron out these problems. Pray for our Soldiers, our President and Our Congress. Please get the FACTS right, relying on the media to much can be harmful. Take the time to research, and go to Fact finder if you hear any rumors.

November 4, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  134. Randy N

I thought CNN reported issues in this country. What about the small fact ( big0) No goverment of the U.S can lawfully buy into or own any private, or publicly owned companies. Why don't you mention this? Your investicaters look it up. P.S – I lerned this in grade school. Apparently it has been overlooked, or it was read and directed to ignore, why?

November 4, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  135. kayla

I don't care what anyone say I'm behind OBAMA 500%. I love, support,and value him.

November 4, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  136. jt

tony , elections in NJ & Virginia show what is 'Gonna'" happen in next election , Gop will take white house again , ( simple )
    Obamba should listen to voters , do what we say to do
    get out of all wars , and bring our troups home , and create jobs like u said u would , our economy and jobs and homeless should b on 1st agenda for any public official , period ,
    jt

November 4, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  137. Heyward

Obama was elected one year ago today, he hasn't been in office one year as of yet. Secondly I heard some Pakistanis complain about Obama but they have not joined in or helped the US at all in capturing Osama in laden (remember him). If they want our help, then they must put forward an Olive Branch themselves. I was appalled at their criticism at our President. They have some nerve.

November 4, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  138. Courtney Anne

Tony,

I think he is doing a fabulous job, under the stressful mess that the Republicans and the Bush administration left him. The GOP has created America's doomsday, not Obama. Thank god for Barack Obama!

Courtney in Ft.Myers, FL

November 4, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  139. Randy

Give me a break folks, did you really expect the President was going to be able to make all of the changes by simply snapping his fingers. We have become a nation of instant gradification. Turn on and off the blackberry, the ipod's, or the TV and get your "fix". Well real world works a bit differently.
    There are three branches of government, the President is one one part of that. You want to find where the road block to this change is you need to look at Capitol Hill. The blue dogs, and in my opinion, the biggest problem for the President making progess is Pelosi and Reid. These two have got to be the worst majority party learers to have ever come down the pipe.
    It takes time folks!!!

November 4, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  140. Jim Bristol

How unfair to claim President Obama has been in office one year. He was Elected a year ago, but he has only been In Office since January 22. He has been In Office only just over Nine Months. Many of our expectations for him to get things done Immediately are very much out of line. Let's give him real time for accomplishments.

November 4, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  141. Dodie ~ California

In my opinion, President Obama has been doing a paramount job!

The general American public is extremely impatient and wants everything right now. In the depression of the 1930s, the stock market did not fully rebound to the 1928 levels until 1956. This was 28 years. To expect a president to fix our economic mess within 1 year is absolutely outrageous. It should also be noted that the start of the economic mess started in 2007 which was on the Bush Administration’s watch!!! In the depression of the 1930s, the job loss was at 11%. I live in California and our job loss is currently over 12%.

I understand that the conservative party leads the moronic mass of our population by misinforming and criticizing President Obama's Administration through the use of “fear” and “moral” tactics in order to accomplish their own selfish and greedy agenda.

Just remember that “values” do not keep people from losing their jobs, homes or put food on the table!!!

November 4, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  142. Arlete Silva

I think (even though I'm not american, I'm canadian) that the President is doing a fantastic job, he has a lot on his plate.
    I wish to him all the best!

Arlete Silva

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  143. Will

It seems that people a expecting quick fixes for all the issues we face today. Well, the president can't provide that. What he is doing has the potential to make life better for all Americans. Based on the challenges we face, he is on target.

November 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  144. SistaT

Seven Changes Within US And Global Populations That Occurred During
    2008-2009
    Barack Obama ’s Presidency
    1. The GOP has been recognized as the people of “NO” to all type s of compromise. Its has made a public disgrace to the US Constitution to have a “democratically governed and elected official denigrated and disrespect the person of highest government office and displayed on the House of Representatives House of Congressional Representative main floor or national TV and not get fired and/or removed. Now that is truly the evidence of double standards in America. Though history tells us this could very well be a public display of mutiny or some a government coup or takeover while in those same instances in African countries there are laws for these behaviors which could result in being beheaded.
    2. Communities have been organized and acknowledge commonalities, similarities and are respecting one another as citizens of the US. Overall, we are more friendly and respectful towards one another. We collectively are in agreement and have identified with the strengths displayed in our 1st African American and Mixed Race President of the United States. His excellence is a shared common denominator which has been established as a role mode and projects a standard of hope and accomplishments.
    3. Muslims, Christians and other Religious Organizations are in agreement with each other and unifying the common cause to preserve the earth which endorses, “The Obama Green Economy.” Institutions are applying for Recovery Funds to promote and educate their communities on supporting energy sustainable centers that use solar technologies and greenhouses. This has become a universal movement to think and collaborate out of the box to participate in reducing the carbon footprints and preserve nature.
    4. Unemployed skilled and/or professional people are able to obtain short term contracts sparked by the TARP funds released to the Wall Street Investments economy.
    5. Local Banks and Health Care Companies and their practices have been recognized as central focal points of problems within the US Economy by regulating the collection of extreme high profits from the general public. These practices are very unjust however more transparent to the public and government.
    6. Military and strategic leaders around the world have made public acknowledgment of nuclear warhead development. The majority of worldwide leaders have entered into a unified agreement to reduce and eliminate the development of military nuclear technology.
    7. Intelligence Agencies and other local groups have been able to identify additional cells within rural white supremacy activities to disengage some forms of racism.

November 5, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  145. Jesse Williams

I must start off by saying that I think the president is doing an outstanding job. Th e majority of people complaining about the decisions the president is trying to carefully make are the ones who benefit most. The president is very meticulous person in everything he does. On healthcare, the president is trying to give people who just don't have the financial means a way to get affordable healthcare that's satisfiable to them. I'm an Emergency room nurse that sees about 200 people a night. The majority of my patients have regular clinical problems. 70 percent of my patients use the ER physician as their regular Dr. It's sad to see that the majority of our patients have no insurance whatsoever. These costs come out of the american taxpayer's pocket and we just sit by and do nothing.

November 6, 2009 at 6:53 am |
  146. JL

How do I think he is doing? .......Horrible.......All fluff.......

November 6, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  147. Bob

At least he is trying! Take health care and Tony you should have asked Steele why the Republicans who had total control of Congress and the White House for 6 years WHY they did NOTHING! At least Obama is tying to help Americans. Yes, he has undertaken a lot and has to fight the Republicans on EVERY issue but again at least he is trying.

November 7, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  148. Carolyn Neuman

Bob is 1000% right !!! Amen, amen, and amen. Thanks, Carolyn Neuman

November 8, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  149. Brad Dull

Hi Tony,
    Thanks for allowing us to say what is on our minds. If people think that President Obama is doing a bad job, just remember the last 16 of twenty years the "Opposition" ran us into to the problem we are in. We are a country of "instant gratification". We are very seldom happy with anyone in charge of this country.
    The President should do as he said in the elections. If he want s to pay for his Health Care Program, pull the troops from the Middle East as he promised.
    This action would leave enough money to not only pay for the Health Care Program, but also allow the the United States to fund additional monies for the Homeless Veterans Project currently under way, and prepare local government agencies to use the surplus money to help so many needed programs succeed.
    Thanks
    Brad Dull

November 10, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  150. Brandy LaBrie

I think Pres. Obama is doing a good job he got his job with a lot on his plate, we act like the last eight years didn't happen. Well it did, there was already a ridiculous debt, we were alreay at rock bottom. Pres. Obama is a man, not a wizard. We have to understand that he has to go through way more people than just himself to get things done if the dems. and repubs. wanna act like little girls and bicker over their issues then yes it will be harder to get the things he promised us done. He is one man with one job let him do his job or you can go be president so the country can judge you.

November 10, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  151. Michelle

Tony, I just saw your piece about the tough decisions on Afghanistan, and on how Amb Eikenberry is in disagreement with Lt Gen McCrystal. Welcome to the really tough world of governing, Mr. Obama. To think you'd come in with your charming (and it is charming I admit) personality and be able to run things like a college seminar, hoping your COMPLETE lack of executive or governing experience could be made up by surrounding yourself by really "smart people" (as an economist and foreign policy expert myself, I don't think they're so smart – mostly book smart but not from the real front lines) is clearly proving to not be working. If only you had any business experience, military experience, economics experience (heck even one class) entrepreneurial experience, State Dept experience....anything real world.....I'd be your biggest fan. But you have nothing else but charm, a big heart, and lots of experience in Chicago politics. You're plenty qualified for marketing and extremely unqualified to be president. Those of us who could clearly see this a year ago are watching as the rest of the country is swiftly coming to the same realization – except for those who are just as unknowledgeable about business, foreign policy, economics, finance, defense, or any of the things a president must understand to run a country.

November 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  152. Michelle

I notice that the only thing the rabid Obama supporters can say is the same thing: he inherited the mess from the last 8 years. Well, last time I checked, during the majority of those 8 years, we were in great economic times, with unemployment at only 4.9% just little over a year ago, and now that the economy hits its NATURAL (for those of you who haven't had any economics training) cyclical trough – meaning it naturally goes up and down – you're claiming it was all 8 years. UNTRUE of course. Last time I checked, the Iraq War was pretty much won, especially after the courageous decision Bush made to do the surge against everyone else's advice, and I would know since I was there for two different assignments. It is absolutely true the debt went up, and Bush must take responsibility for that, but in about ten years when the rest of you are privy to why the Iraq War was justified, you'll then understand we had to spend that much on defense, plus Bush had to succumb to other spending to keep enough of a coalition to support the bigger picture national security efforts. And yes, there was almost a bank collapse for which many Democrats and Republicans need take responsibility. So instead of sounding like one collective "robocall" all you Obama supporters, try making your arguments based on some facts or data. It is NOT a fact that all past 8 years were a mess. I'd trade those in for the last 10 months anyday.

November 12, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  153. Michelle

Oh, and one point I'd really like to make – for those of use who DID do the heavy lifting with regard to Iraq – Obama didn't do one frickin' thing to effect Iraq. Not one. All the successes there have had NOTHING to do with Obama. It was always the plan to get out once we stabilized the country, from day one. Giving Obama credit on Iraq is like giving Mao Tse Tung the credit for America's greatness. There is absolutely NO intersection of those two Venn Diagrams. Not one causation there. If anything, his insistence on a timetable set back the great plans that Petraeus already had laid out.

November 12, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  154. Zak Sabih

I think President Obama is doing just excellent. He has achieved many things in his first year: closing of Gitmo, bringing our troops home in 2010, taking care of the sagging economy, raising our prestige in the whole world, friendly gesture with the Muslim world etc. I think now there is definitely less tension in the world now. I hope he will have a wise and realistic policy on Afghanistan. The most important thing about President Obama is that he is a tireless worker. He is busy all the time trying to work for the betterment of America. He is very energetic, hard working and sincere in addition to being an excellent orator and speaker. History will prove that he is among one of the best Presedents of America.

November 13, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  155. Zak Sabih

Plz correct the spelling. It should be Presidents. Also, if he delivers the Health care reform, it would he his greatest achievement.

November 13, 2009 at 8:31 pm |