Today on CNN Newsroom

November 6th, 2009

The Massacre at Fort Hood

It’s a developing story. The death toll stands at 13 in the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 30 others are recovering from injuries. The alleged attacker, Army Major Nidal Malik Hasan, a U.S. citizen of Jordanian descent, survived after being shot several times. The Army says Hasan had received orders to deploy to Afghanistan – and reportedly he didn’t want to go.

Share your thoughts or condolences for family and friends of the victims here on our blog. Heidi will share some of them in the Newsroom, 9am-11am ET.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Holly Fernandez

Heidi, I am a mother of an Army Specialist who has served in Iraq. Although he is not based at Ft. Hood, I am concerned for his safety. I feel insecure that the Army, to whom I am trusting my son's life, let this Major slip through the cracks regarding any mental health issues he had that could endanger himself or others around him. I would like to hear an attitude of contrition in the military press conference for allowing this event to take place or atleast an explanation as to what was being done to attend to the potential danger signs that have unfortunately come to fruition. I am deeply saddened for the families of the victims and concerned that perhaps there could be others in the military that do not adhere to the mission and are a potential threat.

November 6, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  2. Karras Bommer

I am of course sad for the families of those at Fort Hood, but it must be said: they who live by the gun die by the gun.

November 6, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  3. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The hurt to those from the loss of there loved ones cannot be explaind away with words this is a tragic event that should not have happend on American soil the American Flag needs to be flown at half mast for the remainder of this month all of America sorrows for your loss .

November 6, 2009 at 9:59 am |
  4. Alyssa

When my husband was first commissioned, I thought that the only time I would ever have to be concerned for his safety was during his deployments. I would never imagine for one moment that a normal day on post could turn into a scene straight out of Iraq. Unfortunately for the families of our soldiers who were involved in the shooting, that is exactly what happened. As military family members we live on edge on the days that our spouses, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, and children are deployed and have now learned that even when our soldiers are home they may still be in danger. My heart is broken this morning.

It would be easy to automatically assume that there is a connection between the shooter's religion and his motives in the shooting. However, until we are shown that this is in fact the case I will not be so quick to judge. I do believe, however that this horrible incident speaks to the fact that our soldiers are under so much stress and see things that most civilians will never in their life encounter.

November 6, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  5. Alyssa

Karras....what is the matter with you? "Those who live by gun die by the gun".... this is their JOB and they are doing it to support our country and people like you...that comment is so incredibly unnecessary at a time like this. Shame on you.

November 6, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  6. Mary

My heart, and thoughts, and prayers go out to the families of the victims, what a horrible thing to have happened on our own soil.
    I am a military brat, my Father was in the Army for 21 years and is retired, my brother is in the Army at Ft Polk, and I would just be devestated if something like this had accured where he is.
    I hope that the families know that there loved ones are so appreciated for their sacrifices to protect us Americans, here and abroad,
    They all do such a fantastic job, and no one knows what stress they go trough, God bless each and every one of our Military people.
    I am just heart broken over this. My Prayers are with each and everyone of them.
    Mary

November 6, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  7. Diane

Many viewers do not realize our soldiers die at home from various things while still serving us on a base. This is one of the most tragic type, my family's hearts go to their families.

November 6, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  8. Ada Speights

It is an an awful feeling to be watching CNN and all of a sudden see this shooting happening at Fort Hood,knowing my Grandson is there. I made contact with him as soon as i saw it,he was o.k. He helps to train the troops that are deployed,as he has already been to Afganastan,Kuwate and Bosnia.I am so thankful that his life has been spared.And my deepist feelings and prayers go to the families of the servicemen that were killed and injured.

November 6, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  9. Tiffany

My heart and prayers go out to the families of the troops lost, do to this senseless act of violence, not only as fellow American but also as a military spouse. This person cared for no one, but himself. Because of his selfishness innocent people lost their lives and their families will never be the same again. I personally feel that this man, had other options to get out of his deployment orders, such as he could have just taken his OWN life, he could of went AWOL, and I am sure that there are things he could have done. Again,my opinion is that this man is a COWARD!

November 6, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  10. michael armstrong sr. TX.

There is a question I would like to ask and that is why was this man taken down by a civil police and not MP or SP police this questions millitary security .

November 6, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  11. Michael F.

This guy would of been deployed and sat in a comfy trailer talking to people for his deployment...No combat! 'Good Americans' do NOT go on shooting rampages!!!! This Major is coward!!!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  12. Islam Osman

Heidi,
    I want to send my deep condolence to all the families of these brave soldiers who died or got hurt.As an American muslim, I feel deep sadness that some minority of people carry muslim names but know nothing about what true Islam is and how it endorses peace and love between all people and all religions.I will pray for these brave soldiers.God Bless America

November 6, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  13. Tiffany

Michael I don't know the answer to that, however I will do my best to give you a little glimpse into why the civilian police officer may have gotten there sooner. I am an AF wife and where we are stationed we have civilian security that carry weapons on our base do to a shortage of Military Security forces, so if the Army has a shortage of MPs as the Air Force does that may be why...Not sure if that answered or even helped a little

November 6, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  14. Michael F.

The military can only do so much about these people! Racial profiling is a crime thanks to the democrats and liberals – even though, the enemy is not some hillbilly in Tennessee. Let the investigation show if anything could of been done.

You have to tread lightly when investigating someone who isn't caucasion...less some newspaper write an article about how some minority is getting profiled...by the way..I'm a minority and a veteran!!!

This guy was a shrink who hasn't seen any combat!!! and who wouldn't see any combat!!! people were talking bad to him? He wasn't some 18 year-old. He was a Major with a PH.D. A shrink no less!!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  15. Janice

My heart, prayer and thoughts go out to each family who lost loved ones, and those that was injured during this tragic event. This man /people was suppose to be there to help our loved ones and with this happening within our own bases, how can our troops feel safe? Don't they have enough stress? War begets more war, hate begets more hate, where does it end? How much loss is enough? May God be with us all...

November 6, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  16. Virginia Hill

My Sympathy and Prayers goes out to the victims and the families of the lost ones. Only God knows why these things happen. But God Bless each and everyone of the injured and each of the fallen.

November 6, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  17. Bill Carter

I am a soldier and officer in the Army with two combat tours in Iraq. Why aren't you calling this what it is...a terrorist act by an Islamic extremist!

November 6, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  18. SPC Leslie Wilson

To the soldiers and the families of the fallen soldiers at Ft. Hood-I am so terribly sorry about the tradgedy that happened there. I am heartbroken to know that it was one of our own who has done this to you. I am deployed to Jalalabad, Afghanistan right now and have recently lost a comrade here. The injuries I see here are saddening enough, but to have this happen at home is just unreal. Please know that I am praying for you and all of us over here are thinking about you. What happened there is inexcusable and I just so sorry.

November 6, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  19. Virginia Hill

I don't understand a man as obama to make some of the brass statements, he was a coward never served our country, NOT very patriotic but yet managed underhanded to sit in power. Please Obama go serve on the front lines then make your big remarks.

November 6, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  20. brad

Hasan is not a suspect, we know he killed those innocent people. Now we're going to spend tax dollars for his Medical, legal, and prison fees. We're going to rehabilitate this man, are you kidding me. How would you feel if YOU were a relative of one of these victims. When are we going to treat criminals like criminals.

November 6, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  21. Tyler

Upset and angry at what happened at Fort Hood. I speak for everyone when I say it probably...no should have been avoided. All of the soldiers were home, safe and sound from the War in Afghanistan and somebody scared about deploying had to stop their lives from resuming. If he was scared he should have never rose his right hand and put the Army uniform on. My thoughts and prayers will always go to my fallen brothers and their families.

November 6, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  22. Nicole

I just want to send out my prayers to all the families that have lost their loved ones. I currently live right beside Fort Hood, my husband is stationed there but currently deployed to Iraq with the 1st Cav. I have fear everyday with my husband being over there but now I wonder if we are safe anywhere.

November 6, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  23. Tamara Clement

As horrible as what has happened at Ft. Hood, Tx, is, maybe it will open peoples eyes to the inadequate mental health care our returning military members are recieving.
    When one of the military's own mental health professionals snaps, then there is definately a problem! Who takes care of the mental health workers because as evidenced by what has happened something is broken!

November 6, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  24. Meme

This appears to be the act of an unstable person who used the military to get a good education, and chose psychiatry thinking he would never be sent off to combat. Finding that his plan failed, and that he was being deployed, he went on a suicide mission. But I have a different theory: that it might very well have been a test to see just how easy it is to hit America in its "heartland" - the American military. My theory is that he was a plant, waiting for his call.

Not so long before the 911 attacks, a small private plane crashed into the White House. At that time I stated that it might have been a test to see just how easy it would be for a suicide terrorist to get that close to the White House. Also, a test to see how much damage a small plane would make. (as it turned out, not very much.)

And now, while this whole Fort Hood affair appears to be the problem of an isolated incident, I say take heed. This might just as easily have been another test, a test carried out by a mister clean well positioned suicide terrorist who answered his "call" for martyrdom. For a terrorist organization to hit America in its "heartland", there would not be easier targets than the military bases and posts, especially for a cell of "mister good guys, clean-cut all-American al Husseins" - infiltrated, in position, waiting for the signal to go ahead with the attacks. One does not even have to be a citizen to join the American military, and it seems to me that it would not be so difficult to coordinate an attack on several military installations simultaneously.. It is time for America to wake up.

November 6, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  25. Jerry Barton, from the South Poconos in PA

More "through" Mental Health Screenings should be done. Our Prayers and thoughts go out to our American Soldiers, the Victims and their Families. GOD Bless Them!

November 6, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  26. PFC Bomba

Im a Private Forst Class in the United States amry, and am personally appalled by what had happen... myself, and some of my friends have teamed up to create a face book pgae entitled Remeber Ft Hood.. we are hoping that this page can get sponsored and become a page that can help raise money to pay for the medical bills from the victims that are being hospitalised due to the shootings...we know that they are insured, but we are hoping that we can rally enough people to help us pay the deductable. Thank you so much for letting us ewxpress ourselves, and my heart goes out to those whos families have lost someone in tis horrible tragedy.

November 6, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  27. Dawn Cooper

words can explain my sadness right now,Iam not part of the military I'm just a 29yr old wife and mother of 2, but when I heard this all I could do was cry and then I prayed. My heart and prayers go out to the famlies of all the Victims my God give you peace that passes all understanding.God bless all the soldiers and God Bless America

November 6, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  28. barbara hooper

I send heartfelt sympathies to the families and friends of Fort Hood in the wake of yesterday's assault on troops there.

As the daughter and sister of British, U.S. and Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force Veterans of WWs I & II, and the sister of a peacetime sailor with the Royal Canadian Navy, it is events such as these which remind us in the military that we are family.

November 6, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  29. Dela Mabel Obimpe

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  30. Kellie I

In response to Michael Armstrong, The civilian police officers were very close and most Army bases have civilian police officers, Dept of Defense officers as well as MP's. Most of the MP's on the post's we've been stationed at, would be deployed with their units, but help on post when at home. It's not like it was when I was a child. Even to get on a post the security officers at the gate are not MP's, but DoD officers. With that I must say the officer that took Major Hasan down is a hero!

Bless all the families of victims. Fort Drum is keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  31. Rosie Diaz

Even though I know my family and my best friends family are ok; I know that many other families are not, and I would like to send my deepest condolences and prayers to all the families who lost their loved ones in this tragedy and to those whose loved ones have been injured in this sad, sad time. May God bless you and comfort you all.

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  32. Hajjaj (Actor) Hollywood/ California

I am Arab, and strongly disagree with what Nidal did .... If you decided to join the Army, in a country in which you chose to live in, then why turn around and attack your fellow Soldiers? These are people you shared food and room with.
    If you feel so strongly about not seving in Iraq for whatever reason, why did you join the Army?

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  33. Sisley Dougherty

I was at work when all of this happen , I was in total shock, this morning , when I herd the news, I pray for the families of all who were effected. I have 3 grandchildren that will be deployed in March, and will be processing like Fort Hood, I now have much more to fear.

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  34. Monte Hancock

At this time my wife and I would like to express our sympathy to the families of the brave soldiers who needlessly lost their lives, or were wounded at the hands of an unforseen enemy. Sorry for your loss.

Monte and Sherry Hancock
    Rockland, Idaho 83279

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  35. Lisa

Our hearts and prayers go out to those involved in yesterday's tragic event.It saddens me to see how our brave men and women are put in danger here on American soil.Again,prayers are being sent from Ft.Campbell Ky.

God Bless.

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  36. Elyn Mendoza

my deepest condolences to thefamily of the fallen soldies of the FT Hood tragedy. Prayers and speedy recovery to those who were injured.God Bless America.

November 6, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  37. Beverly Wittler

Dear troops; Your country loves you as we thank you for your service and your family's sacrifice. We abhor the terrible thing at Fort Hood, and will continue to lift you and yours up in prayers.
    My Dad was a WWII Ranger; that and helping my customers get VA loans has given me an in-depth knowledge of the military's personality. God bless you all.

November 6, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  38. Clinton R Bowen

Its a sad thing that this could happen, I feel for the famlies.

November 6, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  39. Melissa

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those families. I lived at Ft. Hood with my husband and my daughter was born on Ft. Hood. i consider that my second home. I can not belive this has happened and as a former Army Wife i am in shock. Our troops have enough to deal with this is the last thing that should have happened to them on American Soil.

November 6, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  40. Sherry

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. My prayers are also with the suspect and his family. Even though I'm prior military myself I can't fathom how this could happen on our own soil. What angers me is that the suspect was allegedly harassed because of his name. Just because his name is Muslim whether he's American born or born abroad should not give ANYONE the right to harass him. Something should have been done about the harassment because just maybe that caused him to snap.

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  41. Jay

My heart goes out to the families of the killed and the wounded. I am an Afghanistan vet and know all too well the danger overseas. When one comes home, we expect a degree of safety by virtue of our friends sacrifice.

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  42. lee sherman

My prayers and thoughts go out to all families associated with Ft. Hood and with the Major and his family.

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  43. Liz Lindecamp, Port Charlotte, Fl.

My son, SPC. David J. Steimer, left from Ft. Hood for his second tour in Iraq in August of this year. I was terrified for him to go back; but yesterday as I heard the news about what happened at Ft. Hood, I had the strangest feeling of releif! How can it be that our soldiers are safer in Iraq that in their own country? I am overwhelmed with heartbreak, and send my most sincere sympathies to the victims and their families!

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  44. Priya Sahar

We want peace every-where in the world.

If the troops are not taken back from Iraq & Afghanistan, these type of events might happen again.

Am really worried and pray for the innocent victims and their families.

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  45. Frankie

Heidi: My heart goes out to the families and loved ones of the fallen soldiers, I think a new policy should be put in place that would weed out of the military all people of Middle Eastern descent. The military has no problem weeding out gays who have never done anything like this.

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  46. Terrie Connelly

My son is stationed at Ft Hood. When I first saw the news my heart dropped, I was sickened, and scared. I received word quickly my child was ok. A sleepless night worried and mourning for those who were not so fortunate. Today, I am angry. Many questions to be answered. It appears this could have been prevented.

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  47. Rebecca Benge

All of us here at Fort Hood are in shock of the events that happened yesterday. Nothing but our prayers and support are with the soldiers and the families of the victims. We are a close nit community and are saddened by the lose of our soldiers. May God bless the Army and our families!

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  48. Linda Majors

I believe this is a deliberate act of terroism. What is Obama going to do about this? I'm sure this is in the minds of many
    Americans. After 911, actions were taken immediately, the president addressed the nation. I say we need a RAMBO in the Whitehouse, "THEY DREW FIRST BLOOD"... to wipe out terriosm, once and for all..

My heartfelt condolences goes out to every family who loss a loved one in this murder or massacre.

November 6, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  49. Major (Retired) Harold Branch

Having just retired from military service last month this a terrible tradgedy. I offer my condolences and prayers to all the families that have been hurt by this senseless act of violence. May God strengthen all of you. May the leadership of our military continue to show their resolve and care I know they bring comfort to all the famlies.

November 6, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  50. Pappy Lucero

I am a Viet Nam Marine Corps Veteran and I want to send my prayers and thoughts to all those at Ft. Hood. Being a Military Veteran and also a Texan I am devastated by yesterdays Events. I encourage all of us to support our Military as well as the families involved in this time of sadness. May God Bless and keep all of you through this terrible ordeal. In rememberance we are flying our Flag at half mast in Memory at our bike shop!

November 6, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  51. nigel, ontario

how many americans have to die before you ban handguns????

November 6, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  52. Norman Best

I live on the west coast of canada and I'm 100% canadian. My deepest condolences to the victims, friends, and families of all those killed, and those wounded in this senseless act of violence. These young men and woman were serving their country. They risk and sometimes give their lives in battle. This is totally diffrent though. My heart goes out to all those effected by this tragedy. I'm deply sad. God bless the U.S. armed forces and the united states.

Norman Best

November 6, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  53. Wanda Cress

My son is Captain Kenneth Brian Cress, he is at Fort Hood Army Base. My son thank God was not hurt. I heart goes out to the families of the soldiers that were lost and was injuried. I saw it on the news yesterday evening and my heart felt like it fall to my feet. It was a while before I heard my son was not hurt. Why Why would some one do this to young soldiers who is trying to serve our country. My son took me onto the base at Fort Hood a couple of years ago. It was a nice base, and you just get the sense of pride that your son is part of the men and women who are giving your time and sometimes their life to make this a better and safer country for all american. So how can this happen at a place where our soldiers should at least felt safe.
    Please keep the familes in your prayers and our service men and women. They need all the prayer they are get. Wanda Cress mother of a proud soldier. My son has been serving his country for 13 years. He just returned from Iraq in July 2009.

November 6, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  54. RobertaUSMCVet

My brother was murdered by another GI while serving in Vietnam and years later one of my friends was murdered by another Marine while I was serving. Friends and family of these men and women will ride a roller coaster of emotion. They will never be free of some level of pain again. This said however if we condem all Americans who are Muslim then we have diminished the Bill of Rights and Constitution these men and women defend. My heart goes out to the entire Army family and I pray that they may all have strength in the days ahead.

November 6, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  55. Rebekah

What a horrible thing to happen on U.S. soil. Thank you to everyone who has served and everyone who is currently serving. In the midst of a tragedy it is a beautiful thing to see the country come together. We will keep all of our troops in our thoughts and prayers. God bless our troops and God bless America.

November 6, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  56. Kevin Presa

My deepest condolences to the soldiers, civilians, family and friends affected by this tragedy. On behalf of a nation, thank you for your service and may those that lost their lives yesterday RIP and find eternal happiness.

November 6, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  57. Katy Mitchell

this is such A horrible event,being shot little lone on amilitary base is just unsettling. The families and loved one of those killed and wounded are in my Prayers and My Heart. I know the families will be there for each other but God will be there for them also. It just doesn't make any sense that someone could do this to fellow soldiers. God Bless America Especially Fort HOOd

November 6, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  58. Steven

I am a American Muslim and I had to go through this a little over 8 years ago right after 9/11. My firends looking at my like how could be one of them? I have been serving inthe US Army now for over 18 Years. I would not dream of doing anything anthing else, also I do not see a issue in Fighting evil and even Muslims can be EVIL.

November 6, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  59. Amanda G.

As a army wife I'm deeply saddened by this tragedy. The men and women who make up our military make huge sacrifices along with their families, so that they can defend and protect us here at home & overseas so we can enjoy our freedom. My thought and prayers are with all of the loved ones who were affected by this.

November 6, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  60. pat

I wonder about the sometimes used phrase "sleeper cell' in regard to the Ft. Hood shootings.
    I additionally wonder about infiltration of non-traditional targets of opportunity (such as our own army) to sow neww seeds of terror in the USA.
    Wolves in Lambs clothing are something to wonder about.

November 6, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  61. Sandra Blodgett

I am the wife of a Vietnam veteran he was stationed at Fort Hood on his return from service. He suffers now from PTSD and was taunted at work when we came home to Ma. He is 61 years old and has never harmed anyone. This person who did this has no excuse for the taking the lives of those brave soldiers who were willing to serve their country. God Bless them and their families!

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  62. Assalamu aleikum

To the brave Americans who have served, and who serve our country every day:

Peace and blessings upon you, and my deepest condolences.

I, like a previous contributor, am an American Muslim – born and bred in the United States. I also have family in the military, like many contributors here.

I will not deny that there is a violent strain in the Muslim community, nor insult the intelligence of my fellow Americans by using this incident to claim that "this is not Islam". Sadly, while my understanding of my God tells me (and the majority of Muslims) that Islam does celebrate life, just one individual who believes otherwise is too many. Our community suffers from a cancer of hate and self-pity. It is time for every American Muslim – despite the fact that the vast majority of us do contribute very positively to society – to stand up and say:

I ldo ove my faith, and I praise Allah for breathing life into my lungs. However, I owe the preservation of my life, the establishment of my liberty (including the liberty to worship God) and the safety of my person to America's servicepeople. "Islamic" regimes elsewhere, it is worth noting, care not about the safety of my person or the preservation of my personal liberty.

My heart is heavy today. Not because someone "hijacked my religion", but because I love my brothers and sisters in the military with the same love I feel for my Muslim family members. God bless America – it is to you I owe my allegiance. God is great, but so are these United States.

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  63. Pat

I feel so sorry for the soldiers and their families stationed at Fort Hood. As a vet of Iraq, I understand the fears we live with daily since returning. I have always felt that the war will be brought home to us here and this just confirms my fears. I worry daily about the trash left in the roads, wondering when it just might blow up like in Iraq. I wonder if we should begin checking our soldiers that claim muslim beliefs for continued service. Maybe we should let those go that express a desire not to continue service because of this. Maybe we could have saved a few lives.........

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  64. Skye Jenniges

hello Heidi,
    I would like to send my deepest sympathy to the families of the brave soldiers who lost their lives and the ones that are wounded too. I am an Army wife and I dont understand why that guy killed soldiers and civilians If he didnt want to go to Iraq he shouldnt of joined the army. Being in the military means to protect our country not shooting other soldiers on the us soil. My husband didnt want to go to iraq but he did anyways so he could protect us all. Again my heart goes out to the soldiers that lost their lives and their family and also to the wounded.
    God Bless

Skye

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  65. Bonnie

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families of this act of evil, whats stuns me is he did not want to kill his muslum people , but had no problem killing and wounding his fellow soldiers, I believe their were no warning signs, I believe he has been planning this for awhile, and I believe their are others that knew about this, he knew exactly what he was going to do and when he was gonna do it, but what concerns me , is how many more of these people are in our military and waiting for their opportunity to do the same thing
    Bonnie

November 6, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  66. Steven

My condolences go out to the family of the victims. The moment of silence, will be today. I hope the wounded victims recover soon.

November 6, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  67. Ken Horn

Regarding the Fort Hood tragedy, here's a story that needs to be told...
    Within a couple of hours of the shooting, while wounded were being transported to the local hospital in Temple, there were hundreds of local citizens in Temple lined up in the hospital to give blood. It was amazing to see a video on one of the San Antonio news stations showing so many locals, non-military, responding in such a short time to help people they didn't even know.

November 6, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  68. brenda

My heart and condolences go out to everyone effected by this tragedy. Which.... I woud say is our intire country because it does effect everyone the indivuals involved personally and us as a nation.

Our soldiers and their families have my up most respect because they place their lives on the line everyday for us to be safe and protected. It is sad that they aren't protected any better than this on our own soil.

The " gunman" was a highly educated man who was suppose to know the correct procedures to go through if he ws being harrassed for any reason. Being in the profession he was in currently he also knows the signs and symptoms of depression and psychotic issues. I also keep hearing he wanted out of the military!!!!! I don't know I have never been in the military, coudln't he have just resinged? I mean that would be the right thing to do if he wanted out.

I'm sorry to me there is no excuse for taking innocent peoples lives and injuring even more. He was not at combat with these people, this was people who was suppose to be his extended family.

As far as teh stories soldiers had came back and told him for over seas. Did he think they were gonna tell him it was a trip to disneyland? I mean they have been in battle for goodness sake. I'm sure their stories were pretty horrifying, but again.... a LITTLE THING CALLED RESIGNING FROM YOUR DUTIES if you cant handle the heat of the job.
    I remorse for those who lost their lives and who was injured their families. It also sickens me that poeple can have access to our soldiers so easily to place them in harms way at home. Our national security should be beefed up alot to protect thsoe who protect us.

November 6, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  69. Clark

I express my condolences for those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy and prayers for the wounded. May the nurses and doctors and the supportive medical staff be blessed for the work and efforts they are putting forth with the wounded.

I do hope that the shooter recovers– so that he may stand trial in the military court system and receive that which is due to him under our military law to show the world that we will not tolerate this actiion by anyone in the United States.

November 6, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  70. Kat Moreno-DeCoteau

Foremost My heart goes out to the fallen soldiers and thier families. We are station @ Fort Hood. No words I write or say can show you how devastating this was or feels. My husband was at the site where everything occured. I just wanna thank all the personel that were able to get to the victims as fast as they could out of the crossfire. Very special thanks to Spc. Butler.

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  71. Kim ( Fort Lewis, WA)

As a military spouse, my heart was broken, when I heard the news yesterday. Please remember you are not alone and we all mourn your great lost around this nation. Thank you for your service and pride while protecting our wonderful country. We will NEVER forget you!

November 6, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  72. Steven

My condolences go out to the thirteen victims. I hope the wounded recover soon. The moment of silence will be today.

November 6, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  73. Freda

Hi Heidi,

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families at Fort Hood. I am a army brat and attended school at Fort Hood and graduated from Killeen High. My father retired there, and I have several family members that was stationed at Fort Hood. I was so shocked and devastated when I heard the news on yesterday, and it is still hard for me to believe this can happen on a military base in the USA. I will keep the families in our prayers.

God Bless

Freda

November 6, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  74. Sherry

Karras ... I feel the same as Alyssa. What could you possibly be thinking? First of all that comment is not appropriate at this particular time and secondly, if our military didn't carry weapons then how could they defend this country? The old "point the finger" and shoot? You should really think about what you're saying before you say it.

November 6, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  75. Vickie Austin

I am the spouse of a retired veteran and feel very bad for the Fort Hood community. We must remember everyone involved in this may need some type of help dealing with it. After 911 the base we lived on shut down and security was very tight. The fear that something could happen there stayed with me. I even started having anxiety attacks. We must all pray and give this military community all the support possible.

Vickie

November 6, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  76. Heidi Collins

My name is Kim Brienza I live in Northeast Ohio, my son is PFC Michael Brienza and is stationed at Fort Hood,Texas. Michael has already done a tour in Iraq, he's just 20 years old. My son, Michael is safe, thank god. My heart goes out to everyone at Fort Hood and to the famalies of the fallen soldiers and the 1 cilivian that was also killed. Im so proud of my son, and all of the men and women who decide to join the military to fight for this wonderful country we live in. I will continue to pray for everyone, and ask god to protect everyone and help the wounded to get well real soon. thank you for the wonderful news coverage that you have given to people like me, who live so far away from Fort Hood, but still have connections with the post. God Bless the military. Thank You, Kim Brienza

November 6, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  77. Y Jones

I am sadden and horrify beyond words. I am supposed to accept others believes. When I meet or talk to someone I never think about where he/she comes from, I don't look at their skin color, I am simply having a conversation with a human being that could possibly become a friend. Now, I dont know what to think. Should we become paranoid about everyone we cross on the street? My sincere sympathy goes to the victims
    family. We are taught to love your family and your country and these victims had certainly demonstrate that. I guess this major Hasan did not get this part of education. And worst of it all, he is a doctor who supposed to have compassion for others, he also did not get this part of the education either.

November 6, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  78. sam

hey heidi,
    i wanted to say may God be with the families on ft. hood. it really makes me sick that it wud be 1 of our own to do this wat makes it worse it was an officer. i was in the army for almost 3 years i was stationed at fort sill i know i trust the officers and i know other soldiers do as well. i will contiue to to pray for everyone on fort hood.

November 6, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  79. Alan

To all the families of at FT Hood and all of our service men serving over seas and here in the US, as a former 82nd Airborn soldier, my deepest regrets on what happened. This Major Hasan is a terroist and all of his actions show it. He joined the US armed forces to carry this plot out, he took his time and knew exactly when to strike. With what was at his apartment should let the whole world know just who he is and what he has done. I remember back when both Obama and Beiden after they were elected, Vice President Beiden said that we would be tested in 6-8 months, and it happened. How can this happen, where have we gone wrong as a country sworn to protect our men and women who are protecting this country, how can this happen. We need to tighten up our security on who we allow in our armed forces and should check into their backgrounds like employers do with people who are applying for a job. Again this is a sad and very emotional day and time for our country and now is when we need to strike back at these whereabouts of these terroists. Time now to take the fight to them and again never allow this to happen. This is now the 3rd major attack on Us soil, from the attack on pearl harbor to the attack on 9/11. History repeats itself all the time every 25 yrs it does. I love this country but do not like the way it is torn apart where there is so much violence, in schools, at the work place and now in the Armed forces. Time to redue our laws where it is hard to get semi automatic weapons so easily where even a high school student can get them. I am truly sorry for the ones who lost their family memebers and for the entire military family. God bless them and never forget.

I salute you.

November 6, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  80. Rochelle

My Brother is stationed at Fort Hood and we are all very thankful that he is ok. My heart and prayers go out to the families of the fallen and the wounded soldiers. It is a aweful thing to happen to these soldiers in what should have been a safe place for them. My thoughts and prays are with all the people affected by this horriable tragedy.

November 6, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  81. cindy

We have to take a huge step back and look at some horrific crimes for what they are. Not being classified as normal and totally abnormal being committed by thoroughly "not normal" individuals. There are all types of people in the world and the majority of people in this world are good, decent, law abiding persons. It's just like corrupt politicians (the majority of politicians are upstanding); just like police officers (the majority are not all corrupt); the list goes on and on, doctors, lawyers, etc., and normal citizens - the majority are decent people, who know right from wrong and practice the same. However, there are people who are, for lack of a better term, just 'DEMENTED' individuals, either by way or birth (something not being formed correctly in their brain), their upbringing (we all well know what constant abuse - be it physical, mental and/or verbal, by whomever, mother, father, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, friend, BULLIES) does to a human being: their sheer psyche), and a lot of people on the one hand are able, by the good and total grace of GOD, to overcome all kinds of torturous, inhumane things done to them, and then on the other hand there are a lot of people who are not. And in the end, when it's all said and done and it all boils down there are certain instances when A WHOLE LOT OF ATTENTION HAS TO PAID TO CERTAIN PEOPLE AND CERTAIN THINGS THAT ARE BEING SAID AND THAT ARE GOING ON. And a lot of times this is being done and something that could have had a horrible outcome has been averted by smart, quick thinking people and by people who are taking heed of a situation and are going into action to stop whatever could have been. However, unfortunately, this is not always the case. There are usually, more times that not, all kinds of signs and the writing is all on the wall, before something terrible happens or a tragedy occurs.
    And with all the people in this world we do know that there are more good people in this world than bad and that good will always win and outnumber and triump over bad.

November 6, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  82. joyce

How often , if at all, do military personnel, who are treating our soldiers for post tramatic disorders recieve mental evaluation. Just because this person was a Dr. trained to treat these disorders doesnt necessarily mean he was immuned to going off the deep end as withnessed by this person. Additionally, why didnt a red flag go up when individuals heard this person vocally express distaste in the wars and his deployment? For one to be on a base and express this type of distaste publically, the antithesis of what these soldiers, who risk their lives for us feel,should have NEVER gone w/o alert and investigation especially because of the position this person held. This feels like a Columbine terror situation but on a Army, Military base, this is frightening beyond reason God bless the wounded, the deceased and everyone who was involved.

November 6, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  83. Y Jones

I am sadden and horrified beyond words. I am supposed to accept others believes. When I meet or talk to someone I never think about where he/she comes from, I don't look at their skin color, I am simply having a conversation with a human being that could possibly become a friend. Now, I dont know what to think. Should we become paranoid about everyone we cross on the street? My sincere sympathy goes to the victims

November 6, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  84. Sean D.

My heart goes out for the families of our fighting men and women at Ft. Hood and around the world. Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss and my prayers for the speedy recovery of the injured. While we will never truly understand what motivates anyone to commit such a heinous act, we shall never allow the work of few afflicted minds to hinder the ongoing efforts of these brave soldiers who lived and died protecting our nation’s freedom and our way of life. Taking the lives of innocent people in the name of God is not the calling of any true God or religion. God Bless America.

November 6, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  85. Cedric Bailey

I live Bryan, Texas about 70 miles from Fort Hood. Not only was this close to my home but also my heart because I am a veteran. So this makes no sense to me why would some one join the military knowing that there is a chance of going to war. I believe that there is more to it than just not wanting to go, because if that was the case why not go awol, why kill soliders that have done nothing to harm you. I also hope that he is punished to the fullest of the federal law.

November 6, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  86. EC

What are the next steps? I hope the government starts looking closely at sleeper cells in the military and workforce. Sgt. Kimberly Munley Kimberly is my hero in my books. As an OC Sheriff's trainee, 4 shots is the best aim to eliminate the threat immediately! She has solid training in firearms. Someone give her a medal!

November 6, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  87. karen hansen

We would like to say that it is our deepest sympthy; and respect for the victims of the shooting, It is bad enough that we have to send of troops over-seas to fight for our freedom; we should not be afraid to stand on our own bases; communities; and small-towns and show our support for our sons- daughters-fathers-and mothers; while one of our own is willing to take lives, because they are up-set about deploying- when that is what they are there to do. If he did not want to fight for his country– he should not have even been in the armed services in the first place. GOD BLESS; all who serve; and suffered at this gunman hands.

November 6, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  88. dina adwan

My reaction to this event was simply a deep sigh. I couldn't believe such a massacre could happen in what was thought to be a safe place. Especially after hearing the suspects last name, my immediate thought was "great, even more negative publicity towards muslims". People must understand that if the suspect was motivated by his idealogy, it doesnt mean that every muslim follows that belief.

I am not condoning his behaviour at all. He has to be punished just as the law states. It truly is an act of terror, but to conclude that it was an islamic terrostic act is simply absurd.

We can theorize on this situation but until the facts have been proven then that is the time we shall conclude.

My thoughts and prayers go to the families and friends to the soldiers who were involved in this unfortunate event.

November 6, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  89. Barbara Chaddick

I'm so sorry for all the families suffering for the loss and injury of their loved ones. My cousin who was a Lt. Col. in the army was just killed in Afghanistan. He was working for a private company and was leaving in 2 weeks. He and a young soilder, who was 25 and getting married in two months,was blown up by an IED. As for the massacre at Ft. Hood, it seems we don't learn very well from our mistakes. Osama Bin Lauden has told us he wants to kill us all. He is setting up sleeper cells all over our country. He has said he will use his people and Europeans so they can blend in. I live in Georgia and it was unbelieveable that the terroists that caused 9/11 had been living in Gwinett County for 2 YEARS and going to the gym and taking flying lessons! We need to follow Israel's example and arm our soilders at all times! My cousin lived in the Middle east for most of his life. He was a great soilder and his Father served in our Secret Service. They are both buried at Arlington. The Middle Eastern people don't think like we do. Osama Bin Lauden said we don't have the stomach for war. It pains us to lose our children and their fanatics think their people will be martyrs.Osama Bin Lauden says they have been around for thousands of years and they are patient. He isn't trying to help his people though! he and others brainwash their young children to go out and become suicide bombers. We need to train our military to get into the minds of our enemies so we can teach them how they think and defeat them! Educate our soilders in their tactics! Go to the Afghan border and the Pakistan border with the majority of our troops and cut off the Snakes Head! Bomb the terroists training camps! We can see them and do surgical strikes! I know the cowards like to hide among the Mosques and the civilans for the propaganda. Send in our soilders that are Middle Eastern and train them to find where they are hiding. I hate war! We can live in the USA peacefully. There is no reason we can't live peacefully in the world and help the people who aren't as fortunate as we are. We have to be alert now however to keep the terroists at bay!

November 6, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  90. James P

I am an officer of 19 years in the Army with four years at Ft Hood. For those that continue to say the Army "allowed" this to happen is ridiculous. Military installations across the world are very safe. There is an enormous amount of effort expended daily to ensure Soldiers and families are safe. The fact remains that there are, at times, 60,000-70,000 Soldiers and civilians on the post. It is impossible to inspect every vehicle that enters the installation. If a Soldier arrives to a gate, the security officer will check to see if the vehicle is registered on the post and that he/she has a valid military ID card. Those that do not have an ID card must go through additional measures before entry is allowed. In the case of Maj Hasan, he surely would have had a valid ID card and vehicle registration. Soldiers are have the right to bear arms as well. We can bring them on the installation to go hunting or target shooting so long as the weapon is registered on the installation. The report that Soldiers cannot have a weapon in the installation is incorrect. He easily could have purchased weapons like any other American. The question is not why or how did the military allow this to happen, it is, first, did his chain of command not see there was a problem with this officer? The second question is how can one, in the name of GOD, commit such an act. We place trust in our Soldiers and officers. This is a terrible tragedy. We must pray for the family of those that are affected by this.

November 6, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  91. Rune

Im so sorry for whats happend with all this good people in Fort Hood.

Politicians and most other pople do not understand what real Islam is. This is the only relgion who wants to rule the world. In UK they have arrested muslim doctors for planning terror attacs.

We will hear many voices who will say: "This is not real Islam", "this killer do not understand the love of Islam" and so on.

People like the killer in Fort Hood is the front soldiers, like them in 9/11. They want to destroy our way of living. Recomand everyone to go to Act For Americas webpage to be educated on this issue.

Best
    Rune
    Norway

November 6, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  92. Fred

CNN coverage of this sad incident is generally OK. However, when will CNN get some people on its staff who have military backgrounds? This morning there was an interview with a Colonel at Ft Hood. On the screen was his position: "Deputy Commanding General." Huh? No way is a colonel a general. "Deputy Commander" would have been more accurate if, in fact, he was the deputy commander. I hope when the names of the dead and wounded are released that CNN does not botch up their ranks.

November 6, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  93. Amanda

Let me first send my condolences to all those affected in yesterdays tragedy. When I first heard the news, my heart sank waiting to hear from our friends and family there. My husband and I were just recently transferred from Ft Hood in June. I also worked in the clinic right next to where the shooting took place, and waited in horror to hear from my friends and coworkers there. Being a military wife is hard, always leaving your family and friends, and you come to find a second family to get you through. That family is your army family of friends and coworkers who are there with you going through the same thing. It breaks my heart to know that one of our own could do this to. As I spoke with our family and friends last night it broke my heart, to hear the fear in their voices. I ask that you continue to pray for all those affected in the coming days. God bless our troops and their families for all there selfless acts to provide us with a better life. I think all to often we truly forget the sacrifices those brave men and women make for us. God bless

November 6, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  94. Tara

These soldiers fight for our country every day, they go overseas and risk their lives to keep us free here in the US. It is a shame that not only do they face death everyday when they are deployed, but that we can not keep them safe when they are home. There are always going to be people that sneak under that wire, but maybe something should be done to make the wire harder to get into.

All of our soldiers deserved to be protected to the best of our ability when they are home, its the least we could do to repay them for protecting us.

November 6, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  95. Amanda

To Karras,

Are you serious? How can you say such a horrible thing? No one wants to die and leave their families and loved ones behind. But, they do believe in their country and all it stands for and they are there fighting for their country and your freedom so that you have the right to voice such a ugly opinion. You have no idea what those soldiers see go through and live with. No one deserves to die for such a senseless reason, and it breaks my heart to hear you say such a thing. They are human beings too with loved ones at home. You should really think about things before you say them. God bless our troops. I am a proud wife of a US soldier.

November 6, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  96. M.S. Cox

My son is frequently sent to Fort Hood. My phone call yesterday to him happly received the sound of his voice, he had be sent on a mission to Oklahoma. I am proud of my son who has choosen to serve his county and support him fully in his dedication. I am also proud of those who lost their life and those who were injured at Ft. Hood. Although, the sympathy send does not ease the pain of families and friends. To all the families that received that unexpected and dredded phone call yesterday Americans all over the world have you in their thoughts and prayers. Your family member is a hero. I hope the military will use this for an education and take every opportunity to honor your lost with lessons learned to help those in the future to prevent this from happening again. We are not in a place in this world that we can let our guard down at any time – sad – but that is what our sons are fighting for – others to be safe – I hope everyone appreciates their service as much as I do. God Bless.
    MS Cox – Iowa

November 6, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  97. Laura Jansan

Dear CNN/Com/Heidi:

As with everyone involved in the military and US Citizns BORN in the US who are civilians, my shared grief is with all who have suffered so greatly in this tragedy yesterday in Texas.
    However, I would like to share my comments on WHY this happened in my own view-Muslims are fanaticsabout religion, their ALLAH and their KORAN. These are all highly dangerous people.Even though this man who shot at several people was a US citizen-He is still a Muslim
    FIRST! He will side with his own people-Muslims, that is and was upset about going to fight and be an occupier in an Arab nation. He is Arab first and American second or even last!

WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THESE ARAB COUNTRIES AND MIND OUR OWN BUSINESS IN THIS COUNTRY AND TAKE CARE OF US.
    FIRST! DOESN'T ANYONE IN THIS GOVERNMENT HAVE THE BRAINS TO UNDERSTAND WE CANNOT BE THE POLICE OF THE WORLD! THIS IS WHY WE ARE DISLIKED AROUND THE WORLD AND HAVE NO FRIENDS!

Also, I would like to say that religion is the poison of the world and causes all wars! Be a humanist, agnostic or even atheist and the world will be a better and much quieter and safer place!

My advice; Get out of arab countries once and for all. Let them live as they did for centuries before American military came along.Perhaps then, and only then we would not have to worry about terrorism and
    annihilation. The world will be much safer then and only then!

Please post my comments. I have traveled around the world in my 63 years. Over 30 countries extensively and know how the other sides
    live. We need to change our value system in America. We have lost
    much of it, I am afraid!

November 6, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  98. Dela Mabel Obimpe

my family and I send our deepest condolences to all families of soldiers and all those affected by this horrific and senseless act and we pray everyday that this would never ever happen again. God Bless America.

November 6, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  99. E FAHMY

I am an American Citizen, Physician, Born Christian Egyptian.
    Please Americans, don't be so Naif, No Moslem will support America against fellow Moslem, it is the Education of Islaam.
    Please read the History, and don't put this blessed Country at risk, by allowing Moslems to be at very sensetive places in America, like the Army, Gov., etc.

November 6, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  100. M.S. Cox

Karras....what is the matter with you? "Those who live by gun die by the gun".... maybe you should move to a country that does not have people who would lay down their life for someone like you – who does not appreciate their (and their families) sacrifice. I suspect if you were to call 911 for law enforcement help – you would be very appreciative they are carrying guns to protect you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion – that is America – but maybe you would have other thoughts if you were to go somewhere that does not have a luxury of “protect and serve” for those who do carry guns.

MS Cox – Iowa

November 6, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  101. Jackie Valdes

I am a U.S. Navy Veteran. I would like to send my condolences to the families of all the victims of that horrific massacre. It is enough that our soldiers and shipmates are being killed off by foreigners. Now we have to worry about our own as well. I don't know what went through that soldier's mind, but I hope this never happens again. If any of the families need someone to talk to. Ask Heidi for my email and we can talk. I am open for all families. I lost a lot of friends and family in Iraq so I can understand some of your pains.

I want you all to please don't mourn those that we lost, but to please celebrate them. They wouldn't want you to suffer. So please keep all of your heads high, and pray (if you believe in that) for your lost ones and for those that are recovering.

November 6, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  102. Steven

I 'am very saddened for the families of the victims. This act of violence,
    really questions the privileges that one has in certain areas.

November 6, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  103. mary tresh

being a parent of a daughter in the military I feel the shock and pain of the events at Ft Hood. my heart goes out to the familys of the wounded and killed. The quick and rapid response of the military and police kept this from being a greater tragedy. I would like to personally thank the men and women who risked their lives yesterday to save our sons, daughters,husbands and wives, brothers and sisters. The fact that this happened on american soil is a nightmare in itself. my daugher is in the Air Force and just hearing her voice last night made me weep,

November 6, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  104. Michell

God Bless America!! I am the wife of Ft. Hood soldier who was injured in Iraq and my entire family was on different parts of Ft. Hood at the time this happened and I was very shocked of what happened. Everyone typically feels safe on post and to have something like this happen when everyone has their guards down is ridiculous!! I pray for the families who have lost their loved ones to such a senseless act!!

November 6, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  105. Janet L Fisher

I am the widow of a Marine Corps soldier, killed on active duty. This was a premeditated act of terrorism. The worst part is that his anti-patriotism was known to authorities. STOP SPINNING THIS AS PTSD!!!

November 6, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  106. deployed soldier

terrorist,,,,muslim never been deployed,,,orders to deploy to a country of muslims and kills 13 of his own,,,,,people need to quit giving him the benefit of the doubt,,,,he's a terrorist,,,and i hope he lives to recieve the death penalty

November 6, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  107. Samie

I have to say my thoughts and prayers go out to all there.. My husband is serving his fourth tour in Iraq and it is hard enough to keep those kinda of thoughts out of my mind. We have five children and it is really hard to explain to them and tell them that daddy will be just fine when they ask if this guy is in the army and he killed his fellow soldiers what would stop the ones with daddy. I know it may sound bad for me to say this but there is no reason for this. He has not even served overseas so he had no idea what he would or would not face. Again I pray for those in Texas it is hard to believe we were stationed there for four years...

November 6, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  108. John

When will CNN conduct a serious re-examination and critique of US policy in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, and particularly the policies of perpetual war and destabilization?

The Fort Hood shooting was very obviously a political act expressing opposition to US policy in a particularly violent way, yet CNN doesn't seize the opportunity to examine US policy.

What will it take for CNN to act like a journalistic organization rather than a cheerleader? Car bombs exploding daily in our major cities?

November 6, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  109. ted

Linda said that this was an act of terrorism and that we need Obama to take action immediately like Pres. Bush II did, we need a Rambo, we need to wipe out terrorism now. I would love for Linda to show us her depth of studies of Islam and the Middle East, to show she knows what she's talking about to wipe out terrorism with some Rambo activity. Having learned in Viet Nam that good guys and bad guys look exactly alike, and knowing that not all Muslims are exactly alike any more than all Christians are exactly alike, eradicating terrorism to me does not seem to be a military problem, but a investigatory and SWAT/green beret type problem.
    I sometimes think that we suffer from the end of the military draft. While in Viet Nam days the draft was somewhat readily avoided by well-to-do folks by reason of deferments for people engaged in expensive pursuits like college education, nevertheless the Armed Forces were less uniform in make-up, and those with mental problems more readily deferred. Sounds like the perp in this matter should have been denied entry into the Army.
    I am a veteran and a Christian FWIW in reading what I said.

November 6, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  110. Guy

With 12 killed and 31 wounded some shot several time, I find it very curious that nothing has been said about the weapon used or amount of shots fired. One gunman ?

November 6, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  111. Bill C

So, President Obama does not want us to "jump to conclusions" when an issue deals with an obvious Islamic Terrorist that has made comments against the American military missions in the Middle East as well as being tied to radical web sites.

This from a man (Obama) that immediately said that the "police acted stupidly" when they arrested a black professor when he had absolutely no information concerning the incident. Amazing!

November 6, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  112. Ann Fisher

The Massacre at Ft. Hood was entirely preventable. What was lacking was ANY employment of even rudimentary human psychology or even common sense in the management of troop morale, assignment, and security.

I COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS TRAGEDY.

#1. Military Psychiatrists and psychologists are compelled through their job requirements to spend 8 hours a day at least 5 days a week HEARING THE HORROR STORIES OF PTSD PATIENTS, the worst of the worst ghastly, horrific experiences about their time in the war zone. A MENTAL HEALTH CARE WORKER WHO HAS NO PERSONAL SERVICE AND EXPERIENCE IN A WAR ZONE TO BALANCE SUCH STORIES AGAINST IS DANGEROUSLY VULNERABLE TO A SERIOUSLY DISTORTED PERCEPTION ABOUT THE DANGER OF BEING DEPLOYED. IT IS dauntingly DANGEROUS, But the overwhelming majority of troops come home safely. This perspective is lost on a person whose ONLY DAILY, overwhelming exposure to first hand accounts of the war is horrific.

I WOULD REQUIRE PSYCHIATRISTS, PSYCHOLOGISTS POTENTIALLY SUBJECT TO DEPLOYMENT TO A WAR ZONE, TO PERSONALLY SERVE IN THE WAR ZONE BEFORE HEARING PTSD CASES.

#2 RECOGNIZE that each soldier with PTSD usually ONLY carries his own PERSONAL horrific experience (with difficulty)t and has to come to terms with and deal with, but when a Psychiatrist soldier is assigned to spend his entire time hearing and vicariously living the collected horrific experiences of hundreds if not thousands of such stories, IT CAN TRAUMATIZE THE MAN WHO CANNOT ESCAPE SUCH DUTY. Better methods of treatment and counseling should be sought to avoid inundating and CONCENTRATING the horrific images in the minds of the counselors.

#3. The treatment of PTSD patients SHOULD ONLY be assigned to CIVILIAN Doctors, NOT SUBJECT TO DEPLOYMENT or to Psychiatrists and psychologists ONLY AFTER THEY HAVE PERSONALLY SERVED IN A WAR ZONE, so they have SOME personal war zone experience to balance against what accounts they hear..

#4. Mental health care workers THEMSELVES should be REQUIRED to participate in REGULAR, SCHEDULED, AT LEAST MONTHLY, IF NOT WEEKLY GROUP THERAPY sessions to monitor how they are dealing with the stress of hearing non-stop horror stories.

#5 Finally, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS ASIDE, COMMON SENSE should tell us that a committed MUSLIM DOCTOR was utterly the wrong person to fill up with all worst first persoon horror stories of war in a PREDOMINANTLY MUSLIM NATION BEFORE ASKING HIM to personally go serve there.

November 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  113. Larry

My Condolences To all family members and people on the receiving end of such a despicable senseless act of violence against our loved one's & country, by supposedly, one of our own.
    I am a U.S. Army Vietnam Veteran (1965) and always felt Loyalty and patriotism to my country and served proudly. I am deeply bothered by some information that is coming from news media today. We took an oath prior to serving in Military to defend our country.
    This Officer/Doctor had been counseling members of the military . (probably with his own Ideologies involved) - Obviously killing people randomly on a U.S. Military base and equating & Justifying a terrorist suicide bombings to the same as a soldier falling on a grenade to protect comrades equates to a problem with Loyalty to our Country ! He must of signed up for the education and Pay check portion of serving his Country !! ?? I guess "my country" can have different interpretations ?? We need to keep America free but at the same time, take our heads out of the sand ! Some people actually hate and despise us. Preaching their gospel on our college campuses about how terrible our country is while living a better life here in this country ! What ever happened to "God Bless America" and how glad I am to live here ???????
    Veteran's Day is coming up on Nov. 11th – Thank you to all for past and future service to our great nation! Yes, "God bless America" !!

November 6, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  114. JL

This is a test. Every US president has a terrorist act to deal with. We saw how Bush responded to 9/11; let's see how Obama does with this. Then we will know of what he is really made.

November 6, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  115. Elnora

Let's cut to the chase and call it what it is – Terrorists in our ranks.

November 6, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  116. William Courtland Submarine tanks?

When ever a massive shooting spree is enlevied, to understand the nature of man verses evil against humanity, why do people go evil? To be pushed and pushed so that a place where a thing might get discovered is not discovered by the apparatus of hiring individuals not fit for the pressures of duty... People without conscience or people with to great a one?.. Yet what else might have gone on?

We immediately assume it is a massacre instead of involvement in a war which goes totally unnoticed in our regular realm... A battle of sexist mental control maybe, or espionage for capital gains of a terrorist organization in profiting from selling a secret device...

Military base... murder is questionable to a high extreme...

November 6, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  117. Kenny

Your a good newsman.Try not to use the shooting to pander to the crazy Fox watchin right wing.They are still fighting the civil war.

November 6, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  118. Jonathan L

My Thoughts and Prayers are going out to my fellow soldiers and their families. I have been deployed and it is tough to cope with, but it is not an excuse. This was an action from an individual not all soldiers. This is a terrible thing but the American people should keep their faith in their military and their soldiers.

Specialist
    Jonathan Latsnic
    Pennsylvania Army National Guard

November 6, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  119. Brittney Ft. Sill,OK

I just want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all of the fallen and injured at Ft. Hood. My husband is stationed at Ft. Sill and I know I worry everyday about the possibility of him being deployed, I never thought i would have to worry about him going to work on post.To think that it was one of our own that carried this out it extremely disturbing. We will continue to pray for everyone involved with this senseless act as well as all of our soldiers who risk there lives to keep our country safe.

November 6, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  120. Roger Cobb

Somebody messed up making this man a doctor and he wasn't upset about going to war as he staged one here.The truth is he was muslim and we are their enemy.they say he said God is great before he started killing,God is great ! but he sure wasn't.
    My prayers are for the families.

November 6, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  121. Kevin Beary

As Retired Sheriff Kevin Beary of Orange County, FL, I am calling the incident at Fort Hood yesterday a “Lone Wolf” act of terrorism.

All the information that has been reported points to an act of terrorism.

Lt. General Cone called for Federal authorities to assist in the investigation – a very sound decision, as the FBI needs to investigate this act of violence. Terrorism should not be ruled out in this very tragic event.

My nephew, Patrick Ziegler, is one of the critically wounded soldiers at Fort Hood.

I have been conducting television, radio, and newspaper interviews throughout the day Friday. If you would like to reach me for further comment, please contact me via email.

November 6, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  122. Darsey

Dear CNN, I

Am very sad bass on the recent events that has happened lately here in the US
    and around the world, what ever happen to love, theirs enough of it for everyone of us
    to take a handfull of it and hold it within ourselves and share it with others because nothing
    tragic or even this tragic could ever go wrong in the state/attunement of love. Just something we shall know. "The is not a religous statment."

November 6, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  123. Camille

These events at Fort Hood are devastating news to me. Having a father who is deployed in Afghanistan really stirs up new emotions on the subject for me. Just to imagine thinking that morning that my father was now safe on American soil and then to find out later that he has been shot by a deranged soldier at a military out processing unit from which he was to leave to come home, sends shudders through my body. God help all these families who have their loved ones. I pray they receive the deepest blessings from God throughout their hard times.

November 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  124. mike reaper

i think it is a descrace that our military would even let some one with that type of name wear a uniform that i once wore from 1993-2002 i really do not know what to think anymore i just pray for the injured and the fallen but what really gets me is now they are allowed in our armed forces

November 6, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  125. Juliett

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!! Why did we allow a man who was spouting anti-American hatred to continue to be a member of OUR military??? This man should have been subject to court martial at the very least!!! Nobody can convince me that the Muslim community that he belonged to, the mosque he attended, friends and family, NONE OF THEM KNEW his beliefs?? The Muslim community needs to start to take responsibility for the actions of their members instead of continuing to whine about being persecuted. They continue to harbor people like this man and the result is the terrorist attacks that are happening (or being caught before they happen) on our American soil. I am sick and tired of these Muslims blaming their religious beliefs for every illegal or immoral act that they commit. The Muslim community wonders why non-Muslims have such a bad image of their faith when they continue to condone the enslavement, rape, and murder of women and female children ( no other so called "faith" would allow a woman to be convicted of a crime and sentenced to death or lashing because she was a victim of rape, or because she leaves the home without permission, or because she speaks without permission and the list goes on). When they continue to condone violence against people who don't follow their so called faith and applaud acts of terrorism against these people. When America takes them in and gives them the opportunity to have freedoms that they would never have had in their own country and they repay America by speaking out against it, speaking about how the killing of out troops over in their countries is a good thing, and putting the blame on their faith when they are caught, then whining about being stereotyped and persecuted on top of it. This man committed another act of terrorism against America ( there has been quite a few lately by radical Muslims) and the Muslim community needs to stop blaming everyone else and start taking responsibility for the types of people that they are harboring and the crimes of terrorism these people are committing. When a person immigrates to this country they are expected to become an American citizen and act as a law abiding American citizen. If a person doesn't want to do that, then they don't deserve to be here.

November 6, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  126. John D.

Our hearts and prays go out to all of the victims and their families, this was the last place and the last suspect we ever expected to dark our door step. When this happens, I think of my years of service protecting my country and how my example, and that of my father has encouraged my son and daught to committ their professional lives to prepare for service with the USNA and USN-JAG. It is their committment and that of those young men and women in our military that give me comfort in our counrty's future....I know we will be just fine and overcome this evil.
    God Bless our military and citizens, lets us all stand up as one nation and our faith within its place. Thank you.

November 6, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  127. Betty Bush

I do not understand the problem the phycsiarist are having with the word HATE. That is why the shooting took place. The guy hates America and Americans just as so many Muslems are taught to do.

November 6, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  128. David

I would like to express my condolences to the families, friends, and loved ones of those who died and those who were wounded in the shootings at Fort Hood. You are in our thoughts and prayers and feelings at this sad and difficult time. I hope the outpouring of well wishes and kind acts lifts you up and gives you peace and strength. This goes for the suspected culprit and his family and loved ones who must be wrestling with the awful questions of what happened to him and why, if he is indeed the culprit, he committed this terrible crime.

Heidi, I think there's a good argument that we have loosen things up a bit, and not get so keyed up on stress. There's yet a huge chunk of beautiful ordinary world out here and maybe we need to be spreading that around (I'm not talking politics ) so that everyone gets some of that peaceable accepting energy that we all need. That's my assessment. Thank you for giving us this chance to express our thoughts and feelings.

November 6, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  129. Joan Collar

I am deeply saddened by this tragedy, as all Americans. I have a real concern regarding how the military and Veteran's Administration are trying to fill the great need for Mental Health professionals. I have been trying to help with this great need. I have applied for several positions in the Veteran's Health Administration. I am an Independently Licensed Social Worker. I have administrative and clinical experience. I had even tried to go to Iraq. The red tape was too much for me! I have tried to locate "how to" on the internet, but to no avail. I have applied for positions at Veteran's hospitals. 3 applications are still pending, since August!!! One position was mysteriously canceled How many other mental health professionals are trying to access the system to help? This issue needs some attention. It should not be this difficult to serve our country and provide much needed specialized services. So, really, how can I help?

November 6, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  130. Paul B

I am a retired Navy nurse and prior hospital corpsman. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and thier families.
    The actions of this Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan were dispicable beyond belief. Why has no one mentioned that this is an act of treason, i don't understand. He took an oath as an officer in the millitary. He appears to have served in the Army honorably to the rank of Major. He went about what appeared to be normal preparations for deployment. Only on his own timetable. He appears to have made his mind up that if he was going to war, he would fight for the otherside. His war started and ended yesterday. I see no other name for this coward other than traitor.

November 6, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  131. Mary Thompson

My heart and prayers goes out to all of Fort Hood and the surrounding communities. Our nation and our dedicated service persons does not deserve that kind of attack, especially on our soil. I can't believe the negative response from the public concerning the government investigation of this as a possible Terrorist attack. Should we put one individuals rights above the safety of our nation............. Keep up the good work CNN, watch you all the time.

Mary T.

November 6, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  132. Gary ryan

as for the man that killed all of those solders.They should put him in front of a firing Squad and blow what brains he has out of his stupid head.

November 7, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  133. Michael F.

I'm a minority, disabled, and a vet with 24 years of service to include multiple tours in Iraq. This murderer was a psychologist, he had not seen combat and even if he was deployed he wouldn't of seen combat!!! He would of sit in a comfy trailer on a base talking to people. Stressed about deploying? What stress? The Army is made up of people of all faiths and races....They are soldiers. All of them. This Major is a murderer, plain and simple. He deserves only our disgust!!! No compassion....he didn't show any to the pregnant woman or the other 12.

November 7, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  134. MR.AL

This is a tragety of a war we should not be in. The Bush Cheney Administration started these wars and now expects the Obama Administration to clean up their mess. These wars have been going on for Two Thousand years how mutch longer are we going to be in these conflicts.

November 8, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  135. safari

Its time the world put a "sock" in Lieberman's mouth. His remarks about the the Major who shot those poor people at Fort Hood, was out of line.
    If anyone is a "home grown terrorist", its Lieberman and Fox News.

November 9, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  136. Sisley Dougherty

I am so sick inside, and have been since this terrible thing happened .The other thing I am sick of is watching people struggle with the wright words to make sure they don't offend anybody, I am an American and want straight talk, not watered down, I think the public is tired of anything else. I hope the government speaks the truth, and nothing but the truth, my prayers are with all those at Ft. Hood.

November 9, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  137. Barbara Chaddick

I think we should take Major Nadil Malik Hasan to the Afghanistan Pakistan border right now in his American uniform without the name tag and drop him off in the sand and leave him and never let him set foot in our country again!

November 10, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  138. Timon Smock

So, the big story now is about why officials didn't pay enough attention to the "flags" that MAJ Hasan displayed before his shooting rampage. I have to say that the "flags" news agencies are talking about were interpreted based on evidence and professional experience by government officials. There was NO WAY that anyone could positively say that a few strange actions or details should have led those officials to believe that MAJ Hasan would commit such a horrendous act.

Chalk-up this tragedy to a selfish, sick, and twisted man who, even though he is a mental health provider, felt he could not seek treatment himself! The focus of this investigation should turn toward MAJ Hasan, the perpetrator, and not the officials who were actually doing their jobs. Remember, MAJ Hasan was not the only case file sitting on their desks.

November 12, 2009 at 10:59 am |