Today on CNN Newsroom

November 7th, 2009

Tracking Sex Offenders

CNN's Josh Levs tells you what Web sites will help you track sex offenders in your neighborhood.

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Jackie FL

What about all the sex offenders who were convicted prior to any registry mandate?

I knew someone who fell into this catagory, and I was horrified when I found out that he was a sex offender of a young child. This person is not required to register because his crime was before registry mandates.

November 7, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  2. mary ann jachna

A poor excuse for a blog to give the viewer the links for the sites to check for sexual offenders. I expected to either find direct links to click on or at least a list I could print with the web addresses.

You have disappointed me.

November 7, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Susan

In response to Virginia Foxx, Gods plan was completed last night and I will continue to pray for the bill to pass through the Senate smoothly and without major changes. Amen.

November 8, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  4. Kay

Where is the information regarding websites to go to for a list of sex offenders?

November 8, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  5. Dee White

Yes, absolutely sex offenders should be immediately castrated upon their first proven offense. This behavior generally doesn't stop and often escalates from what i understand. We should have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy when it comes to sex crimes with no exceptions.

November 8, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  6. michele

In Cleveland. It's deplorable that the health department didn't check that site, but it's also deplorable that the councilman(?) who called about it didn't continue to follow through and check back on the situation. That was his responsibility as well.

November 8, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  7. Lela Aldrich

It makes no sense to me to label a 17 yo for having consensual sex with a 15 yo a sex offender for life. At that age hormones for each are raging and stuff happens. If we are talking rape, that is a very different issue but consensual sex amongst teenagers should not be considered a sex offense for young men.

November 8, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  8. Pvt Bryan Besaw

I think that sex offenders do not deserve the right to sit in jail and consume funds and that all sex offenders ruin lives everbody knows somebody who has been sexually abused and they need to be stopped

November 8, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  9. Russ

I think too many people have been led to believe that sex offenders are terrible, awful people that are unable to get help. I think tracking anyone for a crime is ridiculous because it makes us believe that they are going to do it again, and that there is no real help for them. Why set them free if we are going to track them? Why have a parole officer if we can track them ourselves?

We need to stop this idea of tracking every person who makes a mistake and leave it up to the professionals (i.e. the police, congressmen, parole officers, counselors, and churches).

Castration is a violation of rights and I'm awe-struck Americans would even consider that an option.

Start thinking for yourselves America. The media fools like you Josh are beginning to fool us into actually believing the 'news' you report.

November 8, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  10. Jack Bauder

Anyone who knows anything about sex offenders knows that it is all about controll, which is why chemical or physical castration will not work. What would work better would be to chemically make them a passive individual that no longer has the need to be a control freak!

November 8, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  11. Edison

I am sure everyone has heard of the experiment were people were
    given the power to administer electric shocks to other people and
    continued to up the power past the lethal range. Luckily it was not
    real. But they did not know that.
    It seems that an awful lot of people out there these days would be
    cranking the dial ALL THE WAY UP. I am very glad I am not on the
    receiving end of their malice. But they are the future jury's they are
    your piers. If you are innocent good luck. God help us.

November 8, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  12. carol

Where are the direct links?
    carol

November 9, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  13. ROBERT WILLIAMS

I have been following your newsi on the idea of putting all sex offenders into one group is not a good thing because that would be like putting senators in the same group.SOME are worst than other but none theless they are still human beings and deserve a chance to better them selfs.LOOK at were i live here is a perfect example we have a man how was accused of sex abuse/sex offense of a minor but because of who he is he now holds a job in ST.MARY;S COUNTY,MD..... AS A STATE,S ATTORNEY in his job he makes it a point to go after other sex offenders and lock them up as long as the law will allow yet while attempting to defend his suppression of his conviction on ABC,S 20/20.so PEOPLE CAN AND DO CHANGE.

November 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  14. Chris

Thinking I was the stupid one here, I have tried off and on since Nov. 7 to find the links to the sex offender websites that you so helpfully "laid all out there for us." Where are they?

I have watched your 15-second video about 10 times to no avail. I guess I'll just have to track the sites down through the FBI and the Department of Justice.

This is a serious matter and people need the information. What a waste of a 15-second video, Josh.

November 15, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  15. b in michigan

links, links, links – where are the links?

Russ, sex offenders are terrible and you pose a good question – why set them free? The sad truth, Russ, is that sexual assault happens more frequently than we'd like to think. It happens because someone trusted a sex offender with their child. Tracking is a tool to avoid contact with a known sex offender. Rehabilitated or not – I don't care. I can not and will not trust them with my kids – now or 20 years offense free.

November 15, 2009 at 10:46 pm |