Today on CNN Newsroom

November 8th, 2009

Ahead in the CNN Newsroom...

The House passes a landmark health care bill late Saturday by a vote of 220-215. Representative Joe Cao of Louisiana was the lone Republican who voted in favor of the bill. He joins our Betty Nguyen this morning in the CNN Newsroom. We'll also have reaction from the White House and the Republican National Committee.

We'll have a live report from Fort Hood where an investigation is continuing into Thursday's mass shooting that killed 13 people and wounded 42.

A suicide car bomber kills 12 in Pakistan, including a local mayor.

Join TJ Holmes and Betty Nguyen this morning in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Diane

The health reform bill passed by the House is great! I can't wait for the Senate to pass it. My retirement is $2000.00 a month and out of that I have to pay $700.00 for health insurance. I need a break! I can't live like this.

November 8, 2009 at 6:30 am |
  2. Kimberly Roese

CNN.com/Betty

I am 62 years old. How will this affect me when I reach 65. My husband is retired and $600.00 comes out of his retirement check each month for health insurance. Will this price go up and what kind of choices will we have.?

November 8, 2009 at 7:09 am |
  3. George S Johnson

I think that we need to do away with the US Senate since they tend to stay in gridlock. It is now apparent that the vast majority of Senators on capitol hill are working for the health care lobbyist in this country, and not for the American people. It takes a hard fighting woman to do what is right for this country, and my heart goes out to speaker Pelosi for being strong and keeping the house democrats focused on what is important for this nation.

November 8, 2009 at 7:11 am |
  4. Keith

Nancy Pelosi is a great leader, as shown by her shepherding of the Health Care Reform bill. This bill is sorely needed by the citizens of this country, and I'm glad it passed the House. Now, we just need the Senate to go along. We also need the Republicans to stop being so obstructionist!

November 8, 2009 at 7:58 am |
  5. Pyoung

This is the largest step into socialism ever in america. Obama is the new Hitler.

We are doomed to spiral into the abyss.

PY

November 8, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  6. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Please No more health care issues for the next three years I have a bad heart and cant throw rocks as far as i use to to hit the fool who brings up this issue again.

November 8, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  7. Pyoung

Obamacare will only lead to standing in line for health care for months while you die.

The eldest will be snuffed out while they stand in line.

We are coming to be like Great Britain and Canada.

You will not be able to buy good health care. It will take months to find a specialists waiting on the 110 new bureaucratic approvals for any care. It will cost you all for you own death!

PY

November 8, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  8. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Heres a question for the panel how much did it cost to pass this bill .

November 8, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  9. j.d.

While we live in a global economy, we must come to realize that America must set the standards. We heard the these arguments before concerning socialism. "The only thing to fear is fear itself."

It about time. Corporate America needs to realize that most of their business is from Americans. You must be able to take care of your own before being able to help others...and we surely need the help.

Just like the Big Corporate Giants needed help, the common man need the help as well. What's so hard to understand.

November 8, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  10. Carlton from outside Empire, LA

Please I am begging you guys to please discuss the hurricane moving toward my house. Many of the people in this area under the Hurricane Watch are low income and don't have the internet to check on the weather. Hurricane Ida is a rapidly growing hurricane but your site still has only one old article on it from yesterday. I thought you guys were "Hurricane Headquarters" you were during Katrina and Gustav but why not now. I watch CNN newsroom everyday you guys do a good job but in between the next John King program could y'all just happen to mention it before going back to healthcare. God bless and thank you!!

November 8, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  11. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

I am not surprise to hear stories like this one with the population over the age of 50. What was done on the previous administration to keep all this citizens quiet? It is not a surprise but it certain that more work has to be done to provide resources for patients. Having a system without resources for patients is a recipe for the worst. Since now we have the freedom to express our opinions. What will be done for these patients?

November 8, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  12. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

We live in a global economy and we must realize that America must set standards too. We have heard the arguments but to me this are simply scare tactic as the label socialism. One thing is clear "The only thing to fear is fear itself." It is about time that the Insurance Industry receives a reform to control the Health Situation where Americans are affected. Citizens must be able to take care of their own before being able to help others. We surely need the help just like the Big Corporate Giants needed help. It is true the common man and woman need the help as well. What is so hard to understand?

November 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |