Today on CNN Newsroom

November 16th, 2009

The Dolans are back This Saturday!

Black Friday is less than two weeks away, ushering in the start of the holiday shopping season.

While retailers are hoping more Americans will open their wallet and spend big, it's still hard to tell with the national unemployment rate at 10.2%. That's the highest it's been since 1983.

So what are you to do if money is tight, but you still want to buy gifts for loved ones and friends this Christmas?

The first couple of personal finance, Ken and Daria Dolan, will join us this Saturday to help tackle your questions about holiday spending and budgeting.

And they're not stopping there.

They'll also have tips about buying a house now that Congress has extended and expanded the homebuyer tax credit.

Plus, if you have questions about the Bush-era tax cuts that are set to expire in 2010, send them our way.

The Dolans will join Fredricka Whitfield this Saturday, November 21, in our 3pm and 4pm Eastern hours.

We would like for you to leave us your questions and comments.

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Christmas shopping season and the rise in retail sales from the few who have jobs . How about the capital thats going to be lost from those who have lost there jobs even a dope can see a major roadblock for this shopping season the population of retailers out number the shoppers with money to buy.

November 16, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Heres what's going to happen with a poor persons view and ex retail merchant. there are not enough employd people to spred enough capital to sustain all the retailers in this country so lots of doors are going to close increasing unemployment people with incomes less then 30.000 $ a year will put of paying there utility bills and credit cards to buy gifts driving inflation to record breaking hights the after math of this Christmas shoping season is going to lead to a second dip in the economy . We need to put America back to work quickly give the stimulus money to the retailers not to banks and insurance bandits.

November 18, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  3. Maurice

This is a challenge to you guys. I am requesting that Josh takes on this challenge. Your camera crew has done an EXCELLENT job in bringing us the news of all walks and I dont ever remember they being mentioned or praised for the good job. I am suggesting that they should be honored for the quality work they have been done.

November 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. ITS REN

Not only are the cardholders in for a tough time unless congress straightens out the credit card laws, but the convoluted rates the card issuers (i.e. banks) charge the merchants, are directly impacting the bottom line of all small business owners.

Don't leave out the small business owners who are charged ridiculous rates, processing fees, and other charges, which at times look like they are made up and no one is regulating this. Everything is being dumped on the on the merchant and the major card brands are making a killing.

November 21, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  5. Sandi

Did I hear that Josh's baby was delivered at home?! YAAAAY! Good for you!! Spread the word! People should know home birth is an option and that it's every bit as safe as hospital birth when it is planned and the mother and child are healthy. We just had our baby at home 4 months ago and it was an incredible experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. Congratulations on the healthy, happy arrival of your little bundle of joy!

November 21, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  6. Lee

Can you please share some tips on negotiating w/card companies to reduce amount owed? I recently learned my elderly mother is over $30K in debt on several cards. She has not spent on careless purchases but cash advances to pay taxes, house/car repairs, etc. Now that my siblings and I are aware, we are going to work together with her to pay this off but if we can get cards reduced that will help. My mother's income include Soclal Security, and small income from a low paying part-time job. Any advice is appreciated.
    Lee

November 21, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  7. Dan

Both my parents have passed away and money from a life insurance policy has been in an estate for a while now. Soon I will be getting what is due to me. I would like some advice on what to do with it. The amount is around 60,000.00 . Im not sure where to go ( Companies; Banks; Investments ) . Im still in school and only 20 years old, I really don't want to waste all of this money.

November 21, 2009 at 4:04 pm |