Today on CNN Newsroom

November 20th, 2009

Oprah's Favorite Moment

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/11/20/90448884.jpg caption="Getty Images"]

Oprah Winfrey is announcing she'll end her widely popular television show in 2011. She's been part of our lives for 25 years. So we want to know, what's your favorite Oprah moment?

Leave us a comment. We’ll share some of them on air in the CNN Newsroom, 11am – 1pm ET.

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. magali

I don´t have just one favorite moment, I admire her so much, maybe I was so happy for her when she appeared in her so small jeans, she was so happy and that made us feel proud of her, but her not being slim anymore doesn´t change anything, I admire her spirit, she inspire many women to work and be someone, despite the problems and situation, to go and give the best of you, so I will be proud of her always, she is a row model not just in USA, all around the world, so I wish her all the luck, though I know she was born with a star and luck is always with her

November 20, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

I will answer that question when 2011 gets here.

November 20, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  3. Dan, Norfolk, VA

She had/has NO impact on my life. Why do people idolize her, or any other celebrity so much?
    She is human just like we all are. I put my hope and trust in the almighty above, because, I one day, just like Oprah and every other human on the face of this earth will have to give an account to him for what we did while on earth.
    All the money she has made, just like Michael Jackson, can't take it with her in to eternity.

November 20, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  4. matt sandoval

oprah.WHO CARES!?i've gone 24 years without watching 1 show and i know my life is better for it.more mindless ramblings to distract Americans from the real issues.she's nothing more than a cult leader and her business dealings in the future will prove it.ONE WORLD,ONE OPRAH.

November 20, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  5. Arine Ward

I'm the least bit amazed at the negative comments already posted...on topic of the blogs title:
    Favorite Oprah Moment:

Her very first show, when she showed the world, that she could be a strong tower in the midst of high powers, and to bring a close to a show 25yrs later. Awesome Work!

Especially when she stood toe to toe with the Beef Industry in Texas, and was acquitted moving her whole set there, and boosting the economy in Amarillo, and still coming out a winner! "Oprah a Living Legend"

We the Alumni of Tennessee State University Applaud You!

November 20, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  6. Veronica

My favorite Oprah moment would be the first time I ever watched her show. She was interviewing Lionel Richie I am have been hooked ever since and that was over 20 years ago.

November 20, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  7. Shawn T Lewis

My favorite Oprah moment was reading that Oprah Winfrey is announcing she'll end her widely popular television show in 2011.

November 20, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  8. Anthony Domo

When she came out and supported Barack Obama during the 2008 election. She is a smart, sensible woman who doesn't let political correctness stop her from making a mark in politics. If Sarah Palin runs for 2012, I see no reason why Oprah shouldn't as well!

November 20, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  9. Jennifer

My favorite was the interview with Tommy Hilfiger denying the rumors of his clothes intended to be sold only to Caucasians, and not intended for minority.

November 20, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  10. Latoya Calamari

My 12th birthday February 10,1995. Oprah had a special at 8:00. It was the first look inside Neverlsnd with Michael Jackson. I feel completly in love with him that night. It was the best birthday.

November 20, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  11. Karen Harper

I can beat Tony because I grew up with Oprah Winfrey in the 70s. She was the 'weather girl' in Nashville when I was in high school. She was only a few years older than me. She was on the local NBC station and everybody already loved her way back then when she was just the weather girl.

November 20, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  12. Fabian, Denver, CO

Like most people I love her Favorite Things shows. Mostly to see the extatic faces of the audience members. Especially a few years ago when they were all teachers. She embodies philanthropy, benelovence, and I look forward to see what else she has in store!

November 20, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  13. Teito Sydir

My favorite Oprah moment was the infamous "YOU get a car!!!, and YOU get a car!!!, and YOU get a car!!!!!!, EVERYONE GETS A CAAAAAARRRR!!!" – Gosh, I wish I could have been in the audience that day. Im going to miss Oprah alot, as an artist, I might miss my chance to sit on the couch next to her 🙁

November 20, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  14. Faisu

Opera You are relly the queen of day time show,long live Opera.
    My fevorite moment is when she interview Michael Jackson, and of her supportive road on the African contenent.

November 20, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  15. inem

I"ve been an oprah fan for the most part of twenty years now. Witch led me to believe this day would never come. Now i start to wonder. Could this really mean the end of the world in 2012 ? LOL!!!!

P.S ask oprah if i could borrow 1,000,000,000. Love you

November 20, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  16. Emily Limarzi

It was as if at everyday at 4:00 clock you joined a sense of a family. What comes to mind is the stories Oprah did to make you thankful for everything you had in your life, and inspire you to make a difference in the lives of others. She placed the spotlight on young children who were presented with many battles at a young age, and yet made you feel as if you were a part of their lives. I can say Oprah has motivated me personally to continue to positively impact the lives of children, and even though her show may be ending, her determination and passionate heart for so many will continue.

November 20, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  17. Chris

Tony,
    I too am from Baltimore and remember the "People are Talking" show on WJZ TV with Richard Sher. Wow, that takes me back and brings back some memories.

November 20, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  18. Marlon H.

My favorite OPRAH moment happened in the 80's when she would come into a restaurant and bakery (Crema Dolce) on Rush Street I worked for as a cook. Her favorite dish was the Antipasta salad. One day after a workout , she and her family came in to celebrate her birthday. I got to bring out a cake for her to blow out the candles. She is such an inspiriing Human Being!

November 20, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  19. ousmane kalidou

my favorite moment was the show when she invited MANDELA I learrn a lot on the man from the show even been an african my self.thank you OPRAH

November 20, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  20. Lauren

One of my favorite moments was when Ellen came on the show. Being a member of the young glbt community it was a great sight to see. It prompted so much emotion and I just remember being so proud and having a sense of belonging. It was nice to see a positive glbt role model on the screen.

November 20, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  21. Sarah

Oprah changed the trajectory of my life. Because of one show on the violence perpetrated against women throughout the world, I decided to completely change my career path, from an architect to an advocate for change - U.S. aid to other countries to combat the violence, disease, and opression rampant in developing nations. Thank you, Oprah, for your inspiration and guidance.

November 20, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  22. Mohamud, Rage

My favorite Oprah moment is when she opened the school in South Africa and when she cried the night we elect our President Obama. Rage

November 20, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  23. Greg

Favorite Oprah moment? That's easy...Her short - but pointed - interview with Frank Perdue. It changed forever my view of probing journalistic TV. Ahh, the savage beauty of live TV. Magical.

November 20, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  24. Sarah

For the naysayers: The only people who don't appreciate Oprah's contribution are those that have not regularly watched her show. She has highlighted a number of injustices in the world – from female genital mutilation to puppy mills to human traficking. She does stories that others don't. She educates house wives. She's gotten women to read Tolstoy! By highlighting how others have come through their darkest times, she gives people hope. She puts a human face on Mike Tyson, noting that until you walk a mile in another's shoes, you should reserve judgement. She inspires people to look past themselves and contribute something to others. Until you've watched multiple shows, you won't get it, and frankly, you may be missing out.

November 20, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  25. Lu

When Oprah brought Eckhart Tolle on.....she blessed the world with the knowledge about Presence, about "What is awareness and what is thinking." She has greatly touched my life over these many years by "keeping it real" with her joy, revelations, and basic goodness. She's been like a mother to me – and she has helped me to understand what it is to be a human being in this modern world and a child of God at the same time.

November 20, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  26. DBN

My favorite Oprah moment was when the director of the Smithsonian was a guest. He had several rare artifacts displayed, including a pair of the ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz. It was quite clear that he really did not want Oprah to handle the delicate shoes, but she gave him one of her "but I'm Oprah" looks and picked them up anyway. Classic Oprah.

November 20, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  27. Laurie Dunivant-Larsen

Hi Tony!
    RE: Oprah!
    My favorite moment was watching her stand in the background, tears in her eyes, in total service to the freshly elected President of the United States. If I get MY way, my NEXT favorite Oprah moment will be PALIN & cohorts VS WINFREY-OBAMA 2012! Any chance there is a political future for our Queen?

Also, as a freelancer for Discovery Communications from 1995-2003, I watched them revolutionize the cable and television world, and am thrilled to see them make this network deal!

November 20, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  28. arlene from alberta

the best of oprah for me was back in the early days when she did the"blue eyes/brown eyes" show...very revealing in those times.....but the besssttt was when, in the mid 2000's, oprah had on this senator from illinois named barack obama....by the end of the show i was like o.m.g. who is this man? i was crying and thinking this man will be president some day...even as a canadian, i knew the americans would choose him ...oprah was a visionary....is a visionary...thank you! thank you! thank you!

November 20, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  29. Beverly Lancaster

I can not say that I am sad but I expect we will all be lost in many ways with out Oprah. I am not sad because Oprah has given so much of her whole life to us. I have been thinking about her a lot lately and was hoping that she can find a way to take back some of herself for herself. She shows up every weekday in our homes no matter what. She has no idea how much of an impact she has had on many lives. She digs up information for us that is needed for many aspects of our lives, those who do not admire Oprah either don't know her, or they are afraid of the truth. she will be missed but knowing her she will find ways so we are not left quitting her cold turkey. I am sure she has a plan in the works that will serve more people even better. She is not one for surprises as a matter of fact she hates them. I just hope she takes time out for her, I doubt she will, but I do pray she does.
    One of my favorite moments (there were many) but she had a french lady on her show talking about eating what you want and staying thin. The lady talked about if you do certain things you wont binge and eat 2 or 3 cookies...and I thought 2 or 3 cookies, thats not a binge, then oprah says 2 or 3 cookies that is not a binge...and we were all laughing...we expected her to say 2 or 3 bags.....now thats a binge. (?)
    In many ways and in Oprahs teaching she almost reads peoples minds and many times I will be watching and wondering something and Boom its like Oprah hears you and then asks the question...and the question might not even seem to be relevent..but once it is answered it fills in all the blanks....I Love that about her, no stone unturned....what ever Oprah decides to do I know she will do well and she will be happy and if not she can always come back, because Oprah does not burn bridges she builds them. I am so proud of her.

Bev lancaster

November 20, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  30. Curly

My favorite moment was his interview with Michael Jackson

November 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  31. Cliff

I haven't had an opportunity to watch an Oprah Windfrey show because of work schedules, but I hear that the show is great. 'm sure she'll be missed.

November 20, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  32. Judy Pearson

Can't pick out just one moment....there have been wonderful ones every year! I was verrry happy when she overcame the beef barons! I love Oprah and i think there are even bigger and better things in store for her fans. She is an extraordinary human being.

November 20, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  33. R. Hanna

My favorite Oprah moment wasn't on her show. It was Brad Pitt and George Clooney crying while watching her show in Ocean's 13.

November 20, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  34. Rhonda

Everyone loves Oprah, and she has accomplished so much over the years. My husband asked why everyone makes such a big deal of her; my response... because she is just like us.

November 20, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  35. KAL

My favorite Oprah moment was not necessarily on her show, but when she came to speak at my alma mater, Bennett College in Greensboro, NC. The Bennett College community was graced with her presence, and I was totally in awe of her. Oprah has broken down so many barriers, and she has proven that anyone can be successful in life by following their goals and dreams.

November 20, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  36. rob

TONY, MY FAVORITE OPRAH MOMENT..............................

TEARS OF VICTORY--ELECTION NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 20, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  37. Jesse Callahan

Tony, my recollection of Oprah goes beyond the 25 year time frame. I fondly remember her as a young standup reporter for WJZ-TV in Baltimore. She had a wonderful rapport with three of her co-workers. The late Al Sanders, the late Jerry Turner and her morning talk show partner, Richard Sher. When she left for Chicago, my wife and I knew then she was going to be a great success.

Jesse in Brookeland, Texas

November 20, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  38. Corine

Hello Tony,

I am French and first time I saw Oprah was when she interviewed Michael Jackson. This interview made her famous in France. I now live in America and I still think that Oprah embodies the American dream, strength, and beauty.

November 20, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  39. John from Toronto

Hey Tony, I have to agree with Dan, why idolize these celebrities. I have respect for those who do good to help those in need and enjoy the entertainment. I believe Oprah did good for others so I have a great deal of respect for her and hope that her next adventure is prosperous and she continues to help others. I believe that her replacement should be a woman and I believe the guest you had on earlier from the view ( i apologize I can't remember her name) She seems to be a very pleasant and fun person and different than oprah but capable of making it work. What do you think? Ellen has her show and a man would not be the same because the audience seems to be mostly women so the transition needs to be smooth and familiar.

November 20, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  40. Jen Collins

Oprah has had a huge impact on so many lives. She has used her fame to bring attention to all sorts of social issues. I was blown away by the show where kids took the "Challenge" - it was a program to combat divisiveness, bullying and prejudice in schools. I remember the Barack Obama interview. Too cool.

November 20, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  41. Bea

I loved to see people react when they found out they will get one of Oprah's favorite things. I will follow her whereever she goes.She inspires.

November 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  42. James

Oprah's town hall meeting in Forsyth County, Georgia was probably her most memorable show. She faced an audience living in a de facto segregated town that was hostile to and afraid of African-Americans. Yet, the residents she questioned were able to easily transcend their bigotry and fear of blacks when expressing their glowing admiration for Oprah. They seemed completely unaware of this racial paradox that was obvious to viewers watching the telecast at home.

November 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  43. Linda Stevens

Oprah is a wonderful giving person, but my favorite Oprah show will be the last show. It is long past her time to go. What is she giving up by quitting her show? Nothing, now she will have time to sit around and count her 2.5 billion dollars.

November 20, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  44. Gail Vass

The comment I have as far as the Oprah show is concerned is that she proved to the people of the world that anybody can do anything they want to do if you just try, this may seem very week as a comment but it is so very true ,and that s what we want (and that is so true).GOOD LUCK OPRAH.

November 20, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  45. Penny Johnson

Oprah Winfrey has been so much more than a talk show host she has been like a family member siting in the living room sharing life's moments. Oprah is a very generous gracious lady and the world will miss her dearly. I could never pick just one favorite moment but here are a few of my favorites: When she gave her entire audience a car, How she gave a big Christmas to the kids in Africa, How she has given so many books to kids and inspired a love for reading around the world, How she shared her favorite things with everyone. I sent her a video once of my son to try to be on her show to educate the world on the disease that took his and his brothers life Spinal Muscular Atrophy. My son's lived 3 months and I was angry that I had never heard of the Disease that was taking my baby's away from me. I am sure she never saw the video or that I would have heard from her. I do know she did a segment on the Disease once when a famous football person had a child who died from this and the Governor of Oklahoma where I'm from Brad Henry also lost one of his twins to this same horrible disease. I will dearly miss Oprah Winfrey sitting in my living room sharing the moments of life with me and the world.

November 20, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  46. LWalker

Hi Tony,
    My favorite Oprah moment was when Oprah surprised our family and aired footage of my son, Mark on her World's most Talented Kids Show. I was standing in a Sears store in the tv section when I saw our son on her show. We had know idea he was going to be on. His guest appearance had been cancelled but the show still managed to edited him in and air his footage. Later she and he WONDERFUL staff sent him an autograhped signed photo of her. We love Oprah and appreciate all that she has done to make a difference in the world!!!

November 20, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  47. Ted

My favorite moment is when she played that poor black girl in the Color of Purple!

November 20, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  48. Arine Ward

Its still sad no matter anyone does in this country race still plays a big issue. Unlike others this will "Never" stop the poor little black girl in the "The Color Purple" lol...She is, she has, and she will continue...doesn't that just frustrate you...lol

My Favorite Oprah moment: When she interview Maria Shriver and The Great Eunice Kennedy Shriver...Oprah Winfrey a Woman of Greatness and Power!

The woman that makes one weak, when they can't belittle her Greatness!

November 20, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  49. Dave Laws

Oprah has had so many wonderful moments over the years but one i remember well , is the day Oprah opened her new school in Africa . The look on those girls faces was priceless. Thank-you Oprah . May God bless you and the work you do in bettering peoples lives.

November 20, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  50. Tara Dublin

Oprah once did a show called "Something More", where women who seemed to 'have it all' still felt an emptiness in their lives. Each of the women she featured did something for herself to enrich her life. I was a stay at home mom at the time. I love my sons, but I did indeed need something more to feel fulfilled in my life. One month after that show, I got my dream job: being a DJ on an alternative radio station. I've since been laid off, but for 5 years I truly lived my dream life. Whenever I hear the name Oprah Winfrey, I think about that show and how it inspired me to change my life for good, and for the better.

November 20, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  51. Shaun Landry

After twenty five years, and what it seems like a million shows.

My favorite moment was when I saw her just after she took over AM Chicago. The topics 1) Teen Sex 2) Black Hair. I got on camera talking about not having sex until I was married.

This did not happen. 🙂

I had never in my life seen a morning show that talked about Black Hair and how to take care of it. I turned to my friend Stacey after leaving that studio on State Street and went "This woman is going to be rich and famous"

I remember my friend having a huge crush on the former ABC AM Chicago host and was sad he was leaving. But there was something about Oprah. I don't think I would have ever seen anyone, who was talking about things I needed.

I do comedy now and I get asked to impersonate Oprah, so I have spent a good part of my career parodying her. All I know is when I first met her. Before big studios and thousands of Chicagoans dancing for her in unison, or looking like she is being electrocuted by Tom Cruise. Before brutal honest about her abuse and weight.a

There was this woman named Oprah Winfrey who took the AM Chicago slot from Rob Weller doing some stuff on black hair. "Oh hell no. I got to get me a ticket for this!"

I was glad I was there when you started in Chicago. I'm glad I will be able to watch you last show. It would be hilarious if it was about black hair.

November 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  52. Lori Parry

Well there are several to pick one it is hard , her interview with Mj at Neverland , all her favorite things episodes , and who can forget you get a car!!! But one of her funniest moments has to be when she did a spoof of The Mary Tyler Moore show and even flipped her hat off at the end ...I was crying it was too funny .

November 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  53. Helen Stevens

Way too many "favorite" Oprah moments to name. She is a class act all the way. Even during times of adversity and controversy she never waivered about being her real self. Thank you for bringing to light so many injustices in our world. Thank you for being self-less and so generous. What moved me most was when Oprah was moved to tears at the election of Barack Obama. Halleluliah!

November 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  54. Sooner

I loved the episode with Paula Dean where Paula dropped a bowl in the Kitchen Aid. Absolutely Hilarious!

November 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  55. Andreas Huewes

Hi, my favorite Oprah moment took place last March when I had the privilege to meet Oprah herself backstage after attending one of her Friday live shows. She was a wonderful person to me and my friends and spent a couple of minutes chatting with us about her puppy who was ill at that time. It was an unforgettable few minutes for me and I can still relive them in my mind! Oprah, as she was talking to us, held my hand for a long time and also made a comment about how much she liked the scarf I was wearing that day! I'm originally from Brazil but have been living in the US for almost 20 years now and have been watching her on TV for as long as I can remember! After 2011 I'm sure I'll miss her afternoon shows but I wish her the very best and will support her on whatever she goes for in the future!
    Oprah, thank you for being such a great part of our lives!!
    Andreas.

November 20, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  56. George Acosta

I am very sorry to see Mr.Dobbs leave CNN.!!
    Happy that he will run (let's hope so) for the Senate or the WHite House!
    Smart,did his Homework and one was able to believe him,wich is very rare
    these day's
    CNN has lost (Independence ) Only "YES" so called Reporters
    needto apply!
    Sorry to see this happen!!!!!

November 20, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  57. Brad

Margie and Tony - Tony's mention of his awareness of Oprah's pre-Chicago connection while at WJV-TV in Baltimore - something she rarely acknowleges - struck a chord. At WJZ, Oprah and her co-talent, Richard Sher, hosted "Hello Baltimore", a Group W, happy-talk, morning show. At that time, I was an intern at the adjacent shop, "Evening Magazine", the PM counterpart of Hello Baltimore. Even then, when Op looked more like her pitch-perfect "Color of Purple" character, she was a tour-de-force-of-nature. She and our EM co-host, Linnea Anderson, formed a bond. Whenever Op blasted through our office doors to commune with Linnea, Oprah-alert sirens went off. Not literally of course. No one dived for shelter under their desks. But whenever Op was in our shop, she increased the amperage of the electricity in the air in a way very few could. If only we understood as much then as we do now.

Brad
    Dallas

November 21, 2009 at 3:52 am |
  58. Julie Dolci

My favorite Oprah moment was the only time I watched her show in its entirety. I was 39 in a hospital room in the Allen Pavillion of Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. My husband was dying of kidney cancer; we had two young sons at home and were quite anxious. A group of physicians made rounds through Kirk's room to see about his surgery. The next afternoon, post surgery, I watched the show. One of the doctors was on as "one of the most eligible bachelors in the country!" When we saw him next, we asked him about it. He was just darling....we had a front row seat to see a black man blush. A lovely man, a lifelong simple, unimportant, but precious memory.

November 21, 2009 at 7:01 am |
  59. Lennus , Hartford

Approximately 15 years ago a devout hater of blacks, apologized for his racism. When asked why by Oprah, the most beautiful bi-racial toddler walked unto the set. That toddler was his grandson whom he said changed him.

November 21, 2009 at 7:03 am |
  60. Gary W Roseville CA

2001 Mattie's story, I to this cannot make it through that story without getting emotions. He was brave little with wisdom well beyond his short time here with us.

November 21, 2009 at 7:27 am |
  61. Vic

My favorite Oprah moment was when she announced she's leaving.

November 21, 2009 at 9:59 am |
  62. Michael Pease

I love all this fiscal conservitiism . In the last 8 years we financed 2 wars much of which was off budget . We gave tax breaks through rendition of which 90% went to the top 3%, in war time . Now the Repubs. & the blue dogs are do not want to add to the deficit . It looks like the lobbyist are going to win again and the people will lose . By the way if you want to add 40000 more troops to Afganistan I suggest you pay for it up front . I do not want my children stuck with that war or bill.

November 23, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  63. Liberty_man

I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank Oprah for all the help she has been to the non profit groups she donates to. I'm the co-founder of a local habitat for humanity group here in my county. And i can't speak for them all.. i'd just like to thank her for the help on one of our first blitzbuilds where she donated alot of money.

November 23, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  64. Roger

Who cares about Ophrah?
    Its time to stop the insanity of glorifying these good for nothing so called celebrities

November 25, 2009 at 11:44 am |