Today on CNN Newsroom

November 21st, 2009

Coming up in the CNN Newsroom...

A rare Saturday session on Capitol Hill as the Senate considers whether or not to debate Democratic health care reform legislation. We'll compare the health care bills before Congress.

New guidelines announced this week for breast cancer examinations have triggered controversy. Dr. Donna Plecha from UH Case Medical Center in Cleveland takes your questions on mammograms at 9am ET.

Our housing expert Clyde Anderson runs down all the ways you can turn your home into a money-maker in this down economy.

Oprah Winfrey announces she'll end her daytime talk show after its 25th season next year. We'll look back on her career so far, and take a look at your favorite Oprah moments.

And CNN Meteorologist Reynolds Wolf will offer a glimpse of travel weather and potential problems as people get a jump start on the holiday trips to see family and friends.

Join Betty Nguyen and Richard Lui in for TJ Holmes this morning in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. MJ Maley

One of my favorite Oprah shows was when she went to the all-white county in Georgia and confronted some of the people not wanting non-white's to move into the county. (I don't recall the name of the county.) I have enjoyed many Oprah shows but this one always stands out, even though it was over 20 years ago.

November 21, 2009 at 6:56 am |
  2. Dauna Easley

My favorite Oprah moment? I'm glad someone asked that question! I've been wanting to tell Oprah about it for years. It was the episode in which she and Gayle brought their old first boyfriends to the show. They hadn't seen them since way back whenever. With all the shows that helped me and entertained me so much over the years, I'm even kind of embarrassed to say that this was my all time favorite...but it was! Why? Isn't that every girl's dream? To become wildly successful and then run into your old boyfriend and think 'Look at me now'. To me it was the ultimate old boyfriend fantasy. There sat Anthony Ode (see I even remember his name) recounting his accomplishments in life. Oprah didn't have to recount hers. She just nodded, listened politely and smiled. Oh how I LOVED that moment. I've never met Oprah, or been to her show though I admire her greatly. If ever I meet her I surely will have to high five her for that show. For all the old girlfriends everywhere...she validated all of us...made all of us feel worthy. But, of course, that is her specialty.

November 21, 2009 at 7:23 am |
  3. Rob Mey

There is a lot of talk about "paying" for Healthcare. But what seems to be missing from the discussion is the "cost" of Healthcare ie what doctors and hospitals are charging patients. Why is Healthcare so expensive? Perhaps we should focus on this before figuring out how to pay for it.

November 21, 2009 at 8:31 am |
  4. Paul

Aren't you guys missing a piece of information with regard to decreasing the mammogram requirements? The potential harm of the screening process itself. Mix this in and the new recommendtions make more sense.

Radiation causes 1 death for every 2,000 women screened annually starting at age 40, according to a study published in 2005 in the British Journal of Cancer. Another study shows that each mammogram increases the risk of breast cancer by 2 percent.

November 21, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  5. Fred

Needless to say, Oprah has become an American institution and an international figure. She's not only a celebrity, in my view, but a person of stature who is respected by many for her service to humanity through entertainment and charitable works. For me, the most uplifting moment is when I heard about the school in South Africa that she founded. That must have been a dream come true for her! She will be remembered for a couple of extraordinary sucesses, I think. That is, her role in the election of President Obama and raising the profile of African-American women as strong and dynamics leaders in all fields! Not only that, but she's only just begun!!!

November 21, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  6. John

How many cancers are CAUSED by excessive numbers of mammograms and how many deaths are there from unnecessary surgery related to false positives due to mammography?

November 21, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  7. Sheila Dineen

A very close friend and another friend died before the age of 40 from breast cancer, leaving 3 children under five. The new screening guidelines by some self annointed group of people, is not for them to say nor anyone but a woman and her doctor. Before we can wink, the insurance companies will jump on board and refuse to pay for screening/mammograms outside these guidelines. Do not give them any ammunition to deny us benefits any more than they do already.

November 21, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  8. Mike Posey

My wife, 60, has had an IUD in place since she was 24. It has never been removed in all those years. She had no children obviously. She had it installed before she married the first time. One doctor said, "take it out", another says, "no problem leave it in". Cervical cancer screenings recently show now problem. She's had two mammograms since she was born, both fairly recently. Nothing going on. I'm fairly convicned because she had no children, this is from a doctor, that her risk is negligible for Breast, or cervical cancer. She has no plans to mammogram anytime soon. I do "self exams" on her myself. She retired as a medical professional for a quarter century before she retired. I was also in healthcare since 1966. I find the changes to NOT be so bad. Healthcare reform has to be paid for somehow. As long as Obama is pushing it, the industry is pushing back, simple as that. A mammogram costs an insurance company hundreds of dollars...It's about money. Everyone with any insight knows that. Of course more women will get and die from breast cancer, under the new guidelines. But I feel strongly they are looked at as "collateral damage" for a socialized healthcare system that Mr. Obama seems bound and determined to thrust upon the American people. Who dies because of it? I don't think it matters much to the people who are making all these wild "guidelines". It's another example of too much government, and not enough personal initiative. Our "Achilles Heel", since 1776.

November 21, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  9. Amy

It's interesting that the radiologist who stands to lose large amounts of business if she supports the findings of the recent Preventive Services Task Force findings is the guest that gets the longest time to speak on air. We heard about 15 seconds from a woman from the task force. I think we're all interested in what the task force has to say, but all we are hearing are the opinions of cancer doctors and radiologists. They, of course, aren't going to support a new finding that causes them to lose money and business.

November 21, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  10. dennis linville

I would like to take a moment to see if i have this correct about the health care bill. The senate isnt going to vote on the bill or vote on whether to take a vote on the bill but call this special meeting to vote whether or not to take time out of their busy lives to vote on whether to even talk about an issue that effects all Americans but especially the 47 million that have no insurance .
    maybe the 47 million and the rest that feel every American should have the right to life can use their vote to get rid these senators who want to vote on whether to discuss taking a vote on the vote to take a vote,,,,,,,,,,,

November 21, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  11. Ernie Amagsila

I am a 71-year old male. My doctor detected low potassium level(2.3) and prescribed a potassium-sparing drug Aldactone which hardened and got my breasts bigger and sore. Should I be concerned that this will eventually develop into cancer later that I should opt to get regular mammogram?

November 21, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  12. Randy N

I am commenting on gerri's guest about 401 k's and taxes. I am part of the 17 million unemployed and no I do not have benefits, what you said is proposperous, Why would I want to invest and make them richer and me more poor? Inviting the people to particapte in a scam is fraud plain and simple.

November 21, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  13. Gordon Miller

It is no suprise Sen. Mary Landreu has decided to support debate on the health reform bill, since it includes a special allotment of $100 million just for the state of Louisiana - a fact you should mention in any objective report about her decision.

November 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  14. ecurra19

A to a reason for this rare Saturday sessions on Capitol the Hill as the different Bodies considers the debate for health care reform legislation it has to be answer by them. We need to compare the health care bills before Congress. After is our decision thru Congress. We have to keep a close attention. The new guidelines announced this week for breast cancer examinations have triggered a controversy that it is in my opinion solely on the economical situation in the United States.

November 21, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  15. David

Would CNN put a feedback link on their web site somewhere or give the ability for people to create new posts/topics?

Ever since CNN changed the 'scroll' on their TV broadcast to a 'roll' I've found it to be quite annoying. The roll limits the number of words and thereby results in phrases that make little sense or leave me with more questions than answers whereas there was not really a word count limit with the old 'scroll' at the bottom of the graphical wrapper of all of CNN's TV broadcasts.

Additionally, please change the label from 'Update' to 'Repeat' because if all you can do is re-run the same old meaningless phrases through your 'roll' that have been appearing for days on end, and in some cases weeks, then it's not an 'Update', it's a repeat.

Make it meaningful and make it work or get rid of it altogether please.

November 24, 2009 at 2:52 pm |