Today on CNN Newsroom

November 25th, 2009

Helping the Heroes

Their stories are inspirational and moving. This year's CNN Heroes have done some amazing things, often under very trying circumstances. On our Web site, you can learn all about the programs they created, and how you can help.
Post your thoughts here, and tell us who your heroes are. And be sure to turn in Thanksgiving night at 9 p.m. ET for the event!

Filed under: Josh Levs
  1. ellene

I'll make you a deal, all of you that don't want federal funds used for abortions, a legal medical procedure... You don't have your tax dollars pay for abortion and I won't have my tax dollars used for war. I spent the last 8 years having my tax dollars used for a war in Iraq of which I totally disapproved. It was against my moral judgement. See this is how it works... we elect people and THEY make those decisions and we have to live with it. We the people elected a president that supports the rights of women to have this legal, medical procedure. I accept that the President won't always do what I'd like ie. the war, but he is my president and I support him and pay my taxes to be used as best he can. I wish I understood why the same people that want government "off your back" don't mind having the government in my uterus.

November 25, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  2. Kim

Seriously? This is your comment regarding CNN Heroes?

My heroes are the men and women of America, military and civilian, who love their country and fight for her; the freedom-loving patriots who stand up to preserve the principles she was founded upon.

November 25, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  3. A. Smith, Oregon

There must be 'Heros' that are Native Americans.

I have yet to see a single one listed in the CNN Hero's list. There are plenty of 'CNN Heros' helping ease the horrific situations in far off Africa, while none are helping the utter dismal situations many Native Americans live in each and every day here in the United States?

November 25, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  4. Will

I am a military member deployed somewhere in the Amazon. I find this event that CNN is hosting to be the best award show on TV. I am so tired of the shows that reward some rich person for some shallow act. I know we all believe that we have seen poverty and can describe it but until you are surrounded by it for over 6 months have children constantly beg for your help, food, or water. Seen people sleep on the porch of a business, or kid’s bathing in the same water used for sewage system will shatter whatever idea that you had of poverty. I love my country and bleed for it, but we have it better than what we imagine. I salute an applaud all that dedicate their life’s to helping those that are in need. I thank CNN for giving me the tools to help and get involved.

November 26, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  5. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

It certainly should not take a tragedy for society to come up with a solution to do something but the fact is that society exactly tends to do that with many subjects and topics in our world. The CNN Heroes program showed the whole entire world how people’s lives can be changed with only a purpose and the drive of an individual. How can we effectively put that energy together to help the less fortunate?

November 27, 2009 at 12:50 am |
  6. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

How will CNN Heroes plans to keep this project on? Many heroes have done some amazing things but the truth is that many heroes do not have the benefit and exposure as many CNN Heroes. Many heroes have to do it their heroic acts under trying circumstances. It certainly should not take a tragedy for society to come up with a solution to do something but the fact is that society exactly tends to do that with many subjects and topics in our world control by political agendas. The CNN Heroes program web site shows the programs created and how we can help. People’s lives can be changed with only a purpose and the drive of an individual. How can we effectively put that energy together to help the less fortunate? Their stories are inspirational and moving.

November 27, 2009 at 12:59 am |
  7. Dodie

The CNN “Heros” idea is phenomenal! I love the concept as it helps to induce and focus on the benevolent or altruistic side of people.

I advocate the continuing of this concept with some melioration in mind.

@ A. Smith of Oregon, your point well taken!

Maybe CNN could have Hero categories; (People) (Wildlife) (Environment) one helping the world and one helping Americans, one helping the wildlife and one helping the environment.

Thank You CNN for this innovative idea. I am very thrilled to see your use and power of the media for a noble reason. Keep up the good work!

November 27, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  8. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

The CNN “Heroes” idea is phenomenal! It helps to introduce new ideas and it focus on the benevolent or altruistic side of people. On this idea we see the power of the Media Communication for a noble reason but I imagine not everybody pass de test. Please keep up the good work!

November 27, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  9. Melissa

I am an 18 year-old undergraduate at UCLA, trying to figure out how to make a difference in this world. In a time where everyone seems to be living life to chase wealth, thank you for reminding young people like myself that dreams of simply making the world a better place are not in vain.

November 28, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  10. wilson35

This event was star studded and you could see many tears on the faces of the audience. I'd like to know how many of these actors and actresses gave any of their own money to these unbelievably selfless, beautiful people making a difference in the world?

December 8, 2009 at 9:38 am |