Today on CNN Newsroom

November 30th, 2009

Are you shopping on Cyber Monday?

About 195 million people shopped in stores and online during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, according to the National Retail Federation. The numbers are up from the same 4-day period in 2008. While the number of shoppers went up, the amount of money they spent went down.

Online shopping over the so-called Black Friday weekend was up 11% from last year. What does that mean for Cyber Monday? That's today – and the NRF estimates 96.5 million of us will shop online today.

How are you doing your holiday shopping? Do you plan to shop online this Cyber Monday? What is the best deal you have found? We want to hear about your holiday shopping!

Post your comments here, and Heidi will read some of them in the Newsroom, from 9-11am ET.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Leo Sathler

I didnt anything, 'cause i'm not in u.s.a.
    im brazil, and shopping started at november, and growing day-by-day.

\o/

Leo Sathler.

November 30, 2009 at 8:02 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Im supporting my local retailers not a out of state cyborg.

November 30, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  3. Jen Walker

No way!! My christmas shopping has been finished since September!

November 30, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  4. Bill

Its a little sad that CNN reporters have nothing else to talk about besides shopping.

November 30, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  5. SandMan 87

Verizon wireless has a great deal on a netbooks for cyber monday. The new gateway is on sale for only $30 bucks with a 2-year contract.

November 30, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  6. Teresa Joerger

I shop for all my gifts online. I can find better deals on the web than in the store and not having to fight the crowds is certainly a plus.

Best Deal: 9-Cup Kitchen Aid Food Processor I purchased online for $152.00 compared to all other stores which were selling the same make and model for $229.00.

Cyber Shopping, in my opinion, is the way to go. It's fast and less expensive. I've done this for more than 5 years.

November 30, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  7. Ray

What are some of the seucre web sites??

November 30, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  8. U.S.S. Texas C.G.N. 39

Cyber serfers are traitors to downtown America.

November 30, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  9. Just A. Comment

cyber monday is a media hype by outlets like cnn.

November 30, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  10. Dali

I would love to take advantage of it, however I am so broke I can't. It would have been great if this would have been on the 1st of the month. Then I would have been able to buy a few xmas gifts for my kids. Living paycheck to paycheck in this economy is NOT fun, but we have to do what we have to do.

November 30, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  11. Douglas

My motto this Holiday Season is "If it can't be shipped, I'm not buying it." I hate the crowds during the holiday season and for me, 'tis the season for internet shopping. I've got my credit card standing by.

November 30, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  12. Jordan

I like sites that compile all of the deals together, so you don't have to go to every individual store's website. I really like a website called couponfollow.com, which collects coupon codes put out on twitter, and then you can search for the store or item or whatever you're looking for.

November 30, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  13. michael armstrong sr. TX.

I agree with uss texas cyber serfers are polywogs.

November 30, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  14. tish

220 i think it is okay to stop paying and start saving your money to get somewhere else with enough money so if your credit is bad your money isnt

November 30, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  15. Dan

IF I could find a nice NATIVITY display on line, I would definately shop on line. It is pretty sad that you can find all kinds of Santas, reindeer, frostys on line, but when it comes to the true meaning of CHRISTmas, you can't find it.
    Another thing we need to clear up. It's a CHRISTmas tree, not a HOLIDAY tree.
    I want to wish everyone, not only at CNN, but around the world, a very Merry CHRISTmas.

November 30, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  16. jay

We are shopping online but sticking to a budget of only cash, credit cards are toxic and that is my suggestion to those not working. If you don't have it don't charge it.

November 30, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  17. Mike Dunbar

No, we are purchasing furniture from a local family owned furniture store and the furniture is American made, just wish more would do it.
    Mike

November 30, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  18. Tami

I shopped early this year and Black Friday marked my last day to finish shopping. I got some great deals and can relax until it's time to return gifts and shop the day after Christmas!
    No cyber shopping for me... I need to touch it before I buy it.

November 30, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  19. Annie Madison

I hate the crowds during the holiday season! I waited until today to buy new bedding and found the Best Deal online at the Luxury Bedding Store. 30% off Wildcat Territory Bedding. I've been pricing this bedding for the last few months and waited until today (Cyber Monday) to get it.

November 30, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  20. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Support your local mom and pop stores create walk in traffic and save little America from exstinction.

November 30, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  21. David

Is it called window shopping if you do it online?

I haven't even started my holiday shopping so thanks for this blog post. Behind all the cuteness, a timely, lovely news report.

I think going out to the mall, shops, etc, is part of the holidays. Maybe will get a few things on the internet. But clearly online has a huge impact on retail gives people more chances to find the gift they would like to give someone. I do like going to an actual store though and holding something in my hands.

November 30, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  22. Sir Roderick E. Becton II

This blog pertains to partially Black Friday as well as Cyber Monday. It is always prudient to make note of the effort that todays shopper has put forth in this recessive economy. I hope that Jennifer or Allie of your economic team has the opportunity to address the even though less of a percentage per individual was spent of about 8% per transaction it is still impressive that an increase of shoppers went out to seek the what now is considered the incredible deal. As I forsee an increase of what will eventually pull America out of the market slump the bargain shopper it will be great to see them casted in the light of what America needs. Sincerely, Sir Roderick E. Becton II Becton Consulting Firm

November 30, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  23. peter

Heidi, its me pete. The ppeople or citizens of Afggan, do not need our presence with in their country. this is why they are causing lots of problems, by killing their own peole. by the time we leave, we all americans, will see the difference. at this time , we only need soldiers to only safe guard stategic areas with in Afgan. our citizens, our embassy, and american businesses. lets us be watch dogs on them. few troops can remain. and these should be, the Marine & the Army National Guard. I expected former pres. George Bush to do the same attack , the terrioist did to us. go to iraq and air rade the best sky skipper in these two countries. hit the boder line between these countries their hidens, bases, and leaders hide outs. but instead he send our boys. as long we remain in these countries, and those bandits keep bombing themselves and killing inocents people,& destroying properties, our boy will keep been attacks. we have our own problems here too. lots of shooting & killings has been going in and around in theu. s. the economy is tough now. job-loss. if more troops be sent who will pay for that? let us recall these people never came to the u. s. a. we went there. and they know their countries more than we do.

December 1, 2009 at 11:35 am |