Today on CNN Newsroom

December 3rd, 2009

Levs Links

I'm covering a bunch of different topics today, and getting you links where you can learn more.
For starters:
Time has this list of "Top 10 Apologies," from Tiger Woods to President Obama to Mel Gibson. Plus, Plato and Henry IV. What do you think?
What have people suddenly started caring about - a lot - this year, and what has lost the most attention? Google comes out with its 2009 Zeitgeit List. Here's a take from the folks at CNN.com/TECH.
Susan Boyle's album comes out - and along with it, stunning numbers. What do these massive numbers say about her, the industry, and the Internet?
And coming up, we'll look at how young people are struggling to find jobs in this economy. Keep an eye out for a separate post on that.

Filed under: Josh Levs
  1. Cris

Josh: I have a thought: why doesn't our government sell WAR BONDS? I remember buying them at school in the 50's to support the war! Why don't we do that now? Our population has grown, so instead of borrowing money from other countries, why don't we issue WAR BONDS and have all the schools, colleges, employers, employees (that remain) partake of buying WAR BONDS! I think if done correctly, we may be able to get out from under China. (What if China demands that we re-pay them on a certain date and then we are done!)

December 3, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Josh heres a good thing to look for apologies that were given without the people being caught in a scandel all the apologies that famous people are having out there are hands caught in the cookie jar or being caught with there pants down how many confession apologies are there .

December 3, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  3. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Chris I have been raven on the blog about that for along time you and I seem to be the only ones who think that they should take a lesson from the past every body is crying taxes and we dont need more taxes why not war bonds this way it dont cost anything to finance the war .

December 3, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  4. Gene Hafford

RE: The Tiger – EVERYONE'S coverage of the Tiger Woods thing is absolutely a disgrace and affront to the intelligence of most Americans. He's himan – who in your organization could stand the scrutiny of your life that you have given him AND YET –

NOT ONE WORD about the man's contributions to his country. I dare say that he alone has given more time and money to disadvantaged people than your entire broadcasting network combined.

YET, NOT A SINGLE WORD ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

December 3, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  5. linda long

Tony as you know the white house is holding an employment summit
    one of the things they need to discuss and emplement is the extension of unemployment benefits are due to run out 12-31-09.
    Even the latest extension that was meant to be 20 weeks in states where enemployment was higher than 8.5% due to the verbage and rush by the congress to get the latest bill out people in those states will get 14 wks instead of the 20 they voted to extend
    No network is giving any play to this we the unemployed need a voice please give us that voice we are up against a time limit congress leaves dec 18 and this is dec 3 please please help us put pressure on congress to rectify this horrific problem

December 3, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  6. Chris

I see future jobs coming from college graduates, emerging industries, and regulatory accounting openings.

We need to offer fresh college graduates citizenship so that they do not go back to their countries to make jobs. The jobs will be created, whether they are in the US or not. So, let's make sure they happen here!

We need to get our heads out of the sand and start looking at hard numbers. Industrial hemp in itself is a potential multi billion dollar industry with respect to hemp being the highest producer of bio diesel per acre.

Being at a community college in California I am urging regulatory agencies to scrutinize the books of all city and state funded projects. My tax money and tuition are being stolen by my public school's chancellor! At the time when demand for education is highest, the whole state is cutting the supply of it! Over 30 classes have just been cancelled at the same time 4 year schools are not accepting any new students. Mismanagement of money is to blame here. We need accountants to hold those responsible for wasting money and to ensure it doesn't happen again!

-Disgruntled heir of years of mismanaged debt

December 3, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  7. Allen

Mr. President I am 24 years old and if it was not for my age group in the last election you would have lost. It is time to step up and help us! Without us you will not win reelection. Remember that sir! 20 percent unemployment is unacceptable for my age group when your adminstration seems to be helping wallstreet with whatever they request.

December 3, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  8. Alice

The report about unemployed young Americans who have student loan and credit card debt made me think about something. Federal student loans come with 6 months of no payments after you go below half-time or graduate hopefully, but what happens when you can't find a job in those 6 months because of a recession? Or, I go to school with Air Traffic Control majors who must wait on the FAA to give them a date to start working after graduation which ALWAYS takes longer than 6 months. Think about that-students are given 6 months to find a job by the same government that won't give them the job they are waiting on....hmmmm?

December 3, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  9. Brach Thomas

Josh I am 28 years old. I have a BA but have yet to get a "real" job since I graduated years ago.

When I got out of high school I was a manager of a retail store. The company offered to give me a job and pay me 30 K a year, I turned it down and went to college instead thinking I would come out more employable. What a joke. I would gladly take that position today while burning my college degree. The only thing college taught me was how to bend over and take it from the government.

No SS money for me or 401 K, yet I still hear older people who sat on the same job for years in a bull economy talk about the laziness of my generation. Its funny really, who do they think put us in this position? Time for older generations to step up and take some responsibility for our current economic crisis.

At the same time a party that screwed up the nation for 8 years is throwing wrenches into any effort the new administration makes to advance and provide jobs for my generation.

Its sad really. I stopped sending out resumes a year ago because the only replies I received were scams.

Are you planning a job change? I'll read a script in front of a camera for half what they are paying you.

December 3, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  10. Jorge

Josh,
    We need to create a culture of saving. As for jobs, we need a plan to hire local to supply local. Early 20th century growth began with a concept that is crucial to small communities. We exported the jobs and imported the goods.

December 3, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  11. Shawn Harman

Josh,
    One of the main issues creating a serious lack of jobs is Immigration and illegal immigrants working as day laborers! Contractors and sub-contractors all over the country are using this cheap labor resource to try to stay afloat in the bad economy themselves. Some are also just greedy and taking advantage of an opportunity that effects blue collar workers all across the country! Something has to do be done. It's terribly wrong that in some states, illegal immigrants do not have to pay out of state fees for college but a legal citizen from another state does. Do not mistake this as racist but we have to take care of our own and give Americans an opportunity to live their dream before we try and provide the dream to people from other countries!

December 3, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  12. Ellen

My son with a college degree has been looking for a job for 7 months. I wish that the companies he actually interviewed with would email or call to let him know 'yes or no' about the job. The waiting to hear is difficult and I think it is rude of companies to not let him know.

December 3, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  13. Jon Peterson

I was watching you post the sad and shocking unemployments stats for the young and minorities in particular. The following will unfortuantely come across as condescending. For that I apoligize up front: However, I would like to know of those companies who typically hire young people (including McDonald's and other typical min wage employers and the like), how many job openings do they have that are left unapplied for? I see quite a few job open signs in windows all the time. My wife has worked two jobs and 75 hrs a wk for the past several decades to help us make ends meet. Her jobs are clerical and retail (cashier). Some how we are making ends meet. Have young people, including young grads been surveyed to see if, for now, to pay bills, they would accept this type of employement like my wife has done?Again, I don't want to sound patronizing........simply interested if even min wage jobs are no longer there..............

The other comment and that is could we not generate enough goodwill amongst our thousands of employers to reach out and hire just one employee? I don't have at the tip of my fingers the thousands of employers in the US. However, if we could only gain some sort of catchy momentum to encourage each employer to hire at least one more employee in 2010, how much of a difference would that make in your stats?

Thanks for allowing for my commments.

December 3, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  14. Tricia

I just watched your story about young people and being jobless. I have seen news stories on the over 50 people and young people, and how this country needs to back behind these two groups. My question for you is what about the 25-49 age group? do we count for something? I am not under 24, and I am not over 50. I earned a bachelor's degree in Marketing, and cannot get hired in my field. No one has not offered any internships for my industry, since I graduated in 2003 with this degree.
    instead of wallowing in my self pity that I would never amount to anything with this degree, I decided to come up with my own company, as well as become a independent consultant for a direct selling company, because the best I can do is to work for craft store. I started MDN Creates last month, while still being an independent consultant for the direct selling company, as well as work for the store. I hope to quit the store soon.
    I do hope that you cover my age group, we too need to hear that this group has not been forgotten, especially since we have a President and a first lady who is in the same group.

December 3, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  15. Jose Torres

Josh,

I am a retired military veteran who started a business during this economic crisis. I wrote an excellent business plan, (Dallas SBDC stated they haven't seen such detail work in over 5 years) went to those big banks and was shown the door each time. It definitely frustrated me knowing our government was bailing them out. Now a year later, our business has survived and we are successful. We did it with little help from the banks and lots of entrepreneurial survival skills. Now we need to expand, but don’t want to be shown the door. Tried the SBA route but the SBA's Patriot Loan Program was signed but not funded so that is not a viable route. Perhaps just provide some funding behind this program can help out those who served and are out of work.

December 3, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  16. L Brown

I live in Michigan. Over 1mil laid off with, 18k jobs available. I wished it was 6 to 1 for each job here.

December 3, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  17. Mark H.

I read yesterday where many people are claiming health problems because of "excessive work hours". Since it seems most companies are requiring the remaining employees to work these excessive hours what options do they have ? Why can't we do something similar to Germany and create a law preventing this ?

December 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  18. Jabberjaw

Top Corporate and company Exects, CEO's, Officers, and greedy overly paid employees need to take major overall pay cuts! Thus being able to hire more, and obtaining more equipment/supplies/etc – creating more products and services. Thus, lowering overal prices (wishfully), equals more purcheses, equaling more taxes being paid per purches – get it!

Jabberjaw

________________________________________

The simplest and easiest way to help job growth is for everyone to take a pay cut in the time of national need – everyone. This includes thousands of company presidents, CEO's, officers, that are overly paid by leaps and bounds compared to the majority of their own work force. Buy cutting the outrageous amounts of salary's these overly indulgent pigs are making, they could hire a few hundred more, a few dozen more, and maybe a few more that are without an income at all. Also, decreasing their fringe benefits (private planes, limo's, and the company black AMEX cards, etc), this could lower the prices of the goods and services they sell/provide. Giving the consumer a break at the register, and increasing purchases.
    Look at the pay scale jump from the title of "manager" to "officer" of a company – it's astronomically insane.
    Sadly, Even your own company executives realize this, and hopefully not brush this comment under the rug. Or, would they also let the country die then give up their prestigious club memberships etc – lets hope not.

My idea's:

Whatever you pay in taxes, before what is written off, should be the amount of cut you should take – probably not enough to make a huge difference, but a start.
    Or, depending on the need for the position, and how much in demand it is, and if it can be easily filled. Scary, but most higher and overly paid positions can be ran by their assistant managers, and assistants to those managers that are being paid 70 to 80 percent less then the "CEO, President, or Officer" of that particular company.
    Or, Pending the amount made per year depends on the amount cut (the more you make the more you'll be cut).
    Or, and, this will never happen – lower the bar on profit margines for at least 3 years.
    And, I have many more...

Please research this, because the world and especially the president of the United States is looking for idea's – now!

Oh!!! Also, have these overly greedy health insurance companies cut their premium by at least 40 – 30 percent or more on both the employer side, and the insurance match side.

Regards,

Jabberjaw

December 3, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  19. Jabberjaw

Just a few large and small business all over the country are lowering their prices, and cutting service prices to help the needs of the many. But, definitely not enough of them to even scratch the surface of our national economic problem. We all need to contribute and make some sacrifices for a little while, till we get back on our feet. The top corporate executives that are making bazillions of dollars a year must stop the greed, and the must have expensive mentality. Let's all ease up a bit, and help one another through these hard times for a few years. Maybe, they could eat Top Ramen a couple days a month, or week – like the 40 million unemployed, and others unable to buy gifts for their children this holiday season.

The deeds of one, or a few, may help the needs of many.

December 3, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  20. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Bring back our Industries thats how you fix all this mess.

December 4, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  21. Marc Eichler

Josh, I'm 24 and earned my bachelor's degree in May 2009. I can't even get a job at a local convenience store here in Philadelphia, PA. They tell me that I'm overqualified. My field is journalism, and I can't find any outlets hiring. I have over $100,000 in student loan debt. Sallie Mae doesn't want to hear that I can't pay them because I don't have a job. Want to know the real cost of this recession? I'm battling a major depression bought on by the fact that I can't find any type of job, and because Sallie Mae keeps harrassing me for money. I know there are other students in my situation.

December 5, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  22. Jack P

Planning for the future, that is the best strategy. Like a good defense is the best offense. I studied education in University, and gained a teaching degree. It is true that in many places teachers are plentiful, and the recession has reached to this profession as well. So one must be willing to move and be challenged. I am living and working in New York City, making a decent salary. At times it is a hard job, but there are plenty of rewards, and not just job security. Young people need to realize they might have to change many things, location, profession, and make sacrifices in order to find employment.

December 5, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  23. Martha

I just received a loan modification from Bank of America. Lowered my monthly payment almost $600. Feels great. Question does a loan modification hurt my credit?

Another question. I had a rental property that I let go. They did not foreclose instead they chose to charge it off $87K. How does that affect credit versus Foreclosure?

December 12, 2009 at 2:28 pm |