Today on CNN Newsroom

December 11th, 2009

Pregnant Hero: Woman Helps Pull Teens off Officer

A Texas woman says it was a gut reaction when she jumped into action and tried to help save a police officer.

Angela Gutierrez, who is nine months pregnant, was driving down the road with her husband and child, when she saw a group of teens attack a police officer.

Gutierrez rushed over and helped pull the teens off the officer. The incident was caught on the officer’s dashcam camera.

The pregnant woman says she felt like she had to help.

The teens took off running but were captured a few days later. A judge set each of their bonds at more than three million dollars.

We want to know what you think.

Would you try to help if you saw a teenager beating up an officer? Or do you think this woman took way too many risks?

Post your comments and Heidi will read some of them in the CNN Newsroom from 9am to 11am

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Kellie I

I do not think the woman thought about the risks she was taking. I think she is a good hearted person that saw another in trouble. Hero's don't often stop and weigh out the pros and cons of giving their assistance.

I am also one that would not be able to stand by and watch. It just is not in me to call 911 and watch as someone needs help.

I applaud this womans efforts and pray that she and her baby were not injured in any way. Maybe if more people were like her, she never would have had to step in, in the first place.

December 11, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  2. Raphael Edwards

This woman was very brave ,but she did the right thing if it was me i would of done the exact thing i hope the judge teach them a lesson

December 11, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  3. Robert

Help an Officer? Of course! I have in the past on several occasions and will do in the future. A Police officer's job is tough enough, but sometimes they too need assistance and backup is not always available. As it is their job to protect the peace, it is our job to protect them.

December 11, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  4. joe

Save the Savior; I would probably do more if I could. In these trying days we need the cops around as faras our security is concern. If thats what is takes to show them that we appreciate their service , then so be it.

December 11, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  5. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Texas women are gutsy so this is a natural event and it dosnt matter if the person is a cop any public servent being attacked would get my help so dont mess with Texas.

December 11, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  6. Susan

This was a selfless and courageous act by this woman. Her family should be proud of her and her baby lucky to have such a Mom.

December 11, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  7. Ethan Straley

I believe this woman was in the right place at the right time. I am a Texas Concealed Handgun License holder, and carry a weapon in my Jeep at all times. Had I come upon this action taking place, the teens may have ended up with a gun in their faces after hearing a few warning shots.

December 11, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  8. Adriana R Maxwell

If it was me, yes I have tendency to go where others fear to tread. After wards I get the shakes, then my husband would yell at me for taking such risk, while at the same time clapping me on the back.

December 11, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  9. Jeff Caliendo

Bravo! As a former officer, I applaud Ms. Gutierrez's action. In a world of indifference, it is heartening to see a good citizen step up and do the noble thing.You go girl! Give her a medal!

December 11, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  10. Kate Manning

You never know how you are going to react in a situation like this until you are in one. I am only 5'5 and 115 lbs and when I saw a guy swinging at another guy who was cowering on the floor to protect himself from the blow I instinctively grabbed his right fist with both of my hands. It was completely a gut reaction not a well thought out decistion. Certainly if this guy had decided to then come after me that would not have been a good judgement call. I am sure that she reacted and was involved in protecting this officer long before she had time to calculate the risks of her actions.

December 11, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  11. Kate Manning

You never know how you are going to react in a situation like this until you are in one. I am only 5'5 and 115 lbs and when I saw a guy swinging at another guy who was cowering on the floor to protect himself from the blow I instinctively grabbed his right fist with both of my hands. It was completely a gut reaction not a well thought out decision. Certainly if this guy had decided to then come after me that would not have been a good judgement call. I am sure that she reacted and was involved in protecting this officer long before she had time to calculate the risks of her actions.

December 11, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  12. Ralph Patch

No! I wouldn't help a cop for any reason. Most of them are egotistical, power hungry, and about as bright as one of those new energy efficeint light bulbs. They have too much power with very little oversight in my opinion.

December 11, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  13. amin yousouf

We admire that lady and she should be a hearo. I would do the same and every one whom got repect for the law, will do that. The Police only inforce the law and we would be one team with them in situation like that. I can not imagine the area with out them. God blass whoever, work for public safty.

December 11, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  14. colin dean

Why were the teens attacking the officer in the first place?

December 11, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  15. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Dont ever attack a public servent in front of a veteren of the armed forces because its there sworn duty to get involved food for thought to thugs.

December 11, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  16. Tyleete Bruce

Good for her!!
    The police are there for us, so it is our right and responsibility to help them in any sort of way possible as well. How can we ask or expect for anything less of ourselves when they put their lives on the line every day for us.

December 11, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  17. Gina Marie

Go Angie! She is probably just as sick of the gang situation/mentality as everyone else she was just brave enough to do something about it!
    Angie you are my hero!

December 11, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  18. Tony Peterson

I thought what she done was very brave but she should have thought about her unborn baby. She should not have gotten involved.

December 11, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  19. Jenny Spohn

Are you kidding me?? A hero? Do you think this woman would still be called a hero if her baby was killed in the struggle? No, she would be called a horrible mother who voluntarily put her child at risk. I have children and I would never put them at risk, no matter if it was a cop I was saving or not.

December 11, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  20. jeri bartow

the woman is very very brave but I wonder why the huge guy on the phone didn't step in. where is schilvery?

December 11, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  21. Yolanda

For me, I would have had to think about the well-being of my baby and myself. Pregnancy is a blessing and all precautions should be taken to ensure a safe and healthy delivery. She did a great thing (I clapped when the story came on), but I would have moved out of harm's way and beared witness if the teens got away.

December 11, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  22. Carmelo

in a Heartbeat I will help an Officer if he needs it. they are here to protect us we should protect them as well.

December 11, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  23. Oscar

She should of used her gut feeling to call the police and let the the big guy that was pulling her away help the officer.

December 11, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  24. Michael

That Woman should get a parade or some other sort of fuss made for her decision to help someone who was in danger from street thugs and put herself and her unborn child on the line to do what is right.

If I run across a similar situation,you can bet that I would not hesitate to help a Law Enforcement or EMS person in a tight spot.

It is getting to the point now where those who dedicate themselves to protecting the public have their hands tied, in the name of fairness. One has to actually suffer damages or loss or physical harm before something gets done. When I see or read stories about people killing someone trying to break in their home and hurt them or steal from them, I find myself rooting for the perpetrator to be killed. It seems to be the only way justice is served..

December 11, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  25. Jean

Yes, I would help any person who was being unfairly assaulted. I work for police officers through their credit union and yes, there are some creeps but most are super people who are devoted to serving the public. This young lady is to be admired and congratulated. What a woman!

December 11, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  26. James

I understand that you only read what is put in front of you. but your staff should include that those "teenagers" might be gangmembers. In addition to asking why this woman put her self in harms way.. why was this officer in this position..where was his backup.. was he undercover or in uniform.. which make the situation more extreme

this story just came off as some sort of puppy story that was more about the woman and nothing about the officer.

where is that piece?

December 11, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  27. Manuel Delgado

If it was me I wouldn't have helped him at all. I didn't tell him to be a cop, that was his decision. He knew the risks going into the job so if he died not my problem. I really don't care for cops eitherway. I live in Texas and the 2nd amendment helps me protect myself so I don't have a need for 911 for that matter. Kudos to the women though

December 11, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  28. Arthur Leite

She definitely risked her baby's life but sometimes heroes don't think about themselves in this case, her fetus, its an instinct that not many people have but she has it and she is a hero for that. The 3 million dollar bail for the teens was just as they should never disrespect a police officer.

December 11, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  29. joann

It's always great to know people care about our police officers on or off duty and are willing to assist them when needed. The expectant mother was a fantastic example of what we should all be doing. She took a gamble that maybe those thugs would not attack a pregnant women and fortunately it worked out for her and the officer. All civilians need to careful calculate their involvement in situations like this before risking their own lives but sometimes anger takes over and the need to helps urges you to dive in. Thanks to people like this young women where ever you are. jlt

December 11, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  30. lorraine

I think what this woman did was very heoroic. I would have did the same thing with no hasitation. we need more people with that kind of courage and support to help our earth angels police and all public safety, and emergency personnel. God bless her and my God bless America!!!

lorraine:)

December 11, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  31. Sigrid

You bet I would. Our police is maligned, haunted by the press and needs all the support we can give these officers. God forbid if an officer is white. He more or less has to  call the ACLU or ADL before thinking of defending himself if the perpetrator is from a minority. I am amazed that the media didn't give an award to the shooter who so heroically shot the four officers in Washington.  But then of course this was not a hate crime. It was all done in brotherly love.I am fed up with the political race cards being played in our country. Our country used to be great, and fair. Now it is being twisted by a few politicians and race groups.Sigrid

December 11, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  32. Dave

Good for her. Would I help a Police Officer...in a heartbeat!

December 11, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  33. kathy

Hindsight is always so wise.
    Human instinct is our first reaction.
    She's amazing and one tough cookie

December 11, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  34. Tony

I made an oath a few years ago to defend this nation "from all enemies, foreign and domestic." As far as I'm concerned, attacking public servant, such as police officers, or firefighters, is just a weak form of domestic terrorism.

December 11, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  35. Mel D

Of course she did the right thing. Too many people in this country stand and watch instead of sharing responsibility of the right to protect.
    She is a hero and will be a hero, no matter what.

December 11, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  36. Brigitte Grant

This woman was so outraged that she acted on instinct. Her instinct tells me that she is is an inherently good person.

December 11, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  37. Julie

She is a hero! I want her for my neighbor. I am a mother of two grown children. Pregnancy is not a sickness it is a state of wellness. Those women passing judgment on her in their comments – shame on all of you self-righteous women. The woman estimated the situation and something inside of her told her to "act" and that is heroic. If she was not confident she could help she would not have involved herself, but I am sure she would have called 991 for more help instead of just standing by to witness the situation.

She needs to be recognized as an asset to her community! That is the kind of attitude that more Americans need to adopt instead of sitting back to watch another human being getting hurt. Way to go and God bless her , her baby and her entire family for her actions or courage and selflessness!

December 11, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  38. Morris

I give her butter for her tremendous courage. But y well our main concern is I would bet you my last dollar that she is illegal in this country, and about to give birth to a Mexican baby will have the same rights as I do. That law has to be changed, this country was not designed to be the stopping ground of the worlds problems. Especially from our southern neighbor. What a tragedy

December 11, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  39. Fran

I am 8 months pregnant, but will not do what she did, she was selfless, I will think of my baby first, myself and family before doing anything irrational. That is why we have cell phones to call 911.

December 11, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  40. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Tony most veterans dont realize it but this oath includes public servents and i too pledge this oath as a veteran the oath never dies.

December 11, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  41. Dolly

I would most definitely jump in.

Safety or not how can one human being consciously stand by and watch another suffer from what is clearly, and again, a bunch of punks that didn't get enough discipline at home.

December 11, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  42. Kacey

I think the woman did take an awful risk but what does that say for society. If a pregnant woman risks her life and that of her baby to help someone in need when nobody else would!! I think the woman shows great character and no fear when it is needed..

December 11, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  43. Dennis Sirman

The woman should have been carrying a Lady Smith and Wesson .38 revolver. She would have been alot safer and could have dropped these three thugs on the spot, saving the jurisdiction lots of time and money trying the perps and incarcerating them (at taxpayer expense).

December 11, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  44. Terry Washington State

Heidi –

OFF TOPIC. You are professional, personable and in my opinion the most beautiful female anchor at CNN.

QUESTION: Obviously, I enjoy your program and watch it most days. BUT... I would like to see you do more field reporting. I don't remember the last time you reported remotely or filed a report/story.

I suppose in the scheme of things, you're fine exactly where you are. However, would like to see you away from the studio.

Re: the pregnant lady. If there were only more of us that would stand in to help. Being male, I would hope that a man would step in if it's a fight between two men. She did take a chance doing this being 9 months pregnant. Since all turned out fine. Let's give her.. her due!

December 11, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  45. Kevin Cervelli

She did what many people wouldn't do; she saw an opportunity to help someone out and acted immediately. Once the teens had overwhelmed the officer, it's likely they felt in control of the situation. Her intervention and willingness to assist the officer helped return control where it belonged and avoid further harm to the officer.

December 11, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  46. leia4moz

This women did the right thing. Despite what other people say because she is pregnant.She is going to get negative feed back on this because people are so selfish. I think she is awsome!!

December 11, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  47. Jeremy

I think that the woman did the right thing. Abraham Lincoln once said, " Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing."
    When it is apparent that an officer, firefighter, or citizen is in need of assistance, we have a responsibilty to assist our fellow American brothers and sisters. I think its ironic, that we expect the officers to assist us when we call them, yet when a officer is in trouble and calling us for help, people hesitate to assit them.

Just a thought.

December 11, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  48. leia4moz

I think Angela did the right thing. Her instincts told her to help another human being. Despite what deli kit position she was in. That does not make her a bad mother. People are going to say negative things about the choice she made. But that is just how selfish people are. I think she is awsome!!

December 11, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  49. Susan

In reference to the story about the pregnant woman helping the cop...What's wrong with this picture???? A nine month pregnant woman is wrestling with this guy while the big guy is standing there,talking on the phone...unbelieveable...
    Susan, California

December 11, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  50. Dodie ~ CA

My hats off to you Angela Gutierrez.!!! You are brave and heroic! We definitely need more people in the world like you!

December 11, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  51. Dodie ~ CA

@ Andreas and Heidi

Absolutely! At the risk of my own safety, I would defend a person or animal who was receiving a beating. Many years ago, I intervened in a beating of a stranger and was almost stabbed. It is my nature to defend those than cannot protect their self, for whatever reason!

December 11, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  52. Kim in Texas

WOW!!! Brave but not necessarily smart. My one question is, what was the husband doing? Just watching? Way to go hubby. You've got a big pair, don't you? Shouldn't it have been you jumping to the aid of the officer instead of the mother of your child?

December 11, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  53. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Kinda sounds like Angela has more guts then her husband

December 11, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  54. PFC Minger

WOW Thats amazing. I would love to have her by my side in the military. We need more people like her in the word.

December 11, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  55. j metz

It is not about what she should or should not have done. It is about someone compelled to jump in and help. If she did not think she could help the officer, she would have stayed in the car. This gal has a lot of self confidence. I would not mess with her!

December 11, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  56. jmetz

It is not about if she should or should not have jumped in to help. It is about a self confident lady who was compelled to help out this officer. Sometimes we weigh out the risks later. I tell you what....I wouldn't cross or mess with this lady! If I was in need of help, I would be so fortunate to have someone like her take a risk to help me out.

December 11, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  57. David

When she saw the teens piling on that officer she probably couldn't stand what was happening and leaped into the fight. Good thing her husband was there to pull her out of the fight. He doesn't seem too worried in the video about anything other keeping her from being hurt. She's nine months pregnant. I bet that's the only thing he's thinking about. It looks to me like he was right in the center of the action.

December 11, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  58. David

jmetz that's a good pt. I'd feel fortunate to have someone like that help me out too.

One other thing. Yes this lady has guts, but she also must've done some pretty quick thinking too. What if the officer who was being attacked had lost control of his weapon? Seems like she figured out in a split second what she needed to do.

December 11, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  59. Bob Arthur

Did this woman take a terrible risk? Yes, she did. She also is an exceptional human being because she opted to help her fellow man rather than think only of herself...or the baby. I'm not sure the officer she rescued would have wanted her to take that risk, but I'm certain he is grateful. She defines the essence of bravery. A lovely woman

December 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  60. Angie

For a split second There is one thing that happens inside when you see wrong. For a split second There is one thing that happens inside when you feel you need to help.

when you act on it, it's as if the world and God are on your side. When you don't act on it, it's leaves regret in your mind and heart for not interferring.

How do I know?
    In a moment I acted on stopping a group of teens first chasing then beating on another teen in a small local mall 2 decades ago.

How did I do it?
    First by yelling at all the men standing there watching and doing nothing, Then I stepped in and grabbed the ring leader and litterally scolding at him the way a mother disciplines her child. Yes he did ignore me. And yes I grabbed him a second time and yelled, "I said ..."

And when it looked as if he would hit me, I then yelled, "Go ahead. I am a mother, a housewife, a tax payer, and a voter. You are nothing but a criminal. And trust me, the police would love to get you after you dare strike me."

Of course, just like the calvary, the Mall security came what seemed like a long time after the ruckus first began.

December 12, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  61. gk

Heidi,

I think it is a great thing to act like. The spirit of Empathy implies agape love. The world should be in peace if there are people like her instead of seing it isn't my business. People are social human beings. People need others to live with. Feel what others feel is human natural. There is no criminal as many as where there are people with empathy.

December 12, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  62. tricia

People are losing their minds. People have to have a license to drive, but any dillhole can have kids!!!!!!!!!! Where were the parents of those idiots when they were beating this cop???? Bravo Judge for having the comman sense to really punished those fools. That is the problem with the world today. Gotta give that kid pills for this and that, we need to bring the woodsheds and switches back. If I would have been her I would have done the very samething pregnant or not because my mom took "time out" of her day to whoop my aZZ then sit there for an hour explaing why! Time with your kids is what they need, not pills. Those fools should get 15 years for what they have done.

December 12, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  63. David

There were some questions that were running through my mind when I saw this report. What was happening? Why was there an altercation btwn the officer and the teenagers? Was it a traffic stop? Something else? How many teenagers were there? Where did this happen on residential street, an avenue, a thoroughfare? How old were the teenagers? What did Angela Gutierrez and her husband see as they were driving down the road?

Why didn't you post the video, or air more of the video from the police dashcam? It's hard to tell what's going on in the brief video that you aired. Seems like were looking at background not the incident itself.

Would I help a police officer in distress? Yes. But if anyone thinks getting between a cop and someone who's being combative isn't taking a chance on getting injured or escalating the situation or making it even more of an emergency, they're nuts.

Having said all that, seems to me the husband is going about the business of making sure his wife is allright and not distracted by the all the activity going on around them. And doing what most is needed, calling 911. Him being kind of a big guy and backing up his wife, I'm sure was helpful in this.

Yes Ms. Gutierrez is a brave person for getting out of her car and rushing to assist the officer. To be honest though, it could be a hairy, incredibly dangerous situation that could get out of control for any of a number of reasons.

My opinon Heidi.

December 13, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  64. Patricia Rochon

Hi Heidi , My comment are for Tiger. If I was his sponsor I would not wait for him . and it would for ever no more business with him. I think he is a very dishonest person and without any morals. the victim our the children and the wife .but she will have so much money hope she does not do like him.. P.Rochon.

December 14, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  65. Ben Klein

This would never happen out in the country; people driving by a cop being overwhelmed. Where everybody hunts it's not unusual that someone takes a gun to work and hunts before heading home.

I would have given those kids a choice between the officers cuffs or my hunting bow.

When did we lose the sense of community that would force us to take action to protect it.

December 14, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  66. Jerry Ringer

A very courages women with good values.Hard to find lately.Her deed should not go unoticed as she earned my respect.

December 16, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  67. Susy Raybon

I want to know what her husband was doing while she was pulling the treens off of the officer?

December 19, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  68. James

Hey Heidi,
    This pregnant woman took an enormous risk of losing
    her baby in her late pregnancy period.
    This woman was not brave, she acted by impulse.
    I would have stayed in the car, blow the horn many times
    and ram into these teenagers.if needed
    If they know what they are doing, they should be able
    to take the consequences of their irresponsible
    behavior.
    It is time that this country stands up for those with irresponsible
    behaviour