Today on CNN Newsroom

December 22nd, 2009

Your Favorite Gift

Pretty packages with giftwrap and bows.

The anticipation is agonizing!

What’s in the box?

This season I want to know, what’s your all-time favorite holiday gift?

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. Tresterling

When I was twelve years old I can remember wanting only one thing for Christmas; a stuffed Simpsons Maggie doll that you could only get from Burger King. I'm not sure why it was such a hot item for me other than Maggie being my favorite character from the Simpsons. My mother tried to buy the doll many times before but they were nowhere to be found so my hopes were pretty low on ever getting one. After awaking on Christmas day back in 1990, I rushed to the living room and ripped all the wrapping paper off all the presents as fast as I could. After all the presents were opened and heading to the kitchen to eat breakfast my mom told me there was one more gift for me but was hidden somewhere. I knew exactly what it was and searched high and low till I came upon a small present hiding behind the couch. I pulled the paper off and immediately started yelling "I got it, I finally got a Maggie doll". My dad who had the camcorder out was able to capture my excitement on video and every now and then I'll pop in the old home movies from that Christmas and giggle at how excited I was.

Kids now want iPods, iPhones, laptops, and tons of other electronics, as for me, the best Christmas present I ever received was that simple Maggie doll from Burger King. Thanks again Santa!!

December 22, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

I havent recived my favorite gift yet but its got to be in the mail its a 1.000.000. check wraped in a security invelope with a Christmas bow stamp.

December 22, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  3. William Courtland

Peace on Earth and good will towards all sentient biengs.

To bad the west hordes this and does not really share it with the second and third worlds.

December 22, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  4. Dodie

My favorite gift is to see those I cherish and love, happy! My gift is giving to others and enjoying their company. My gift is appreciating the wonder and Awe in Nature.

December 22, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  5. Dane Buckley

Anything that is useful

December 22, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  6. Lisa

Groceries or gift certificates for groceries are my all-time favourite gifts.

December 22, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  7. Meaghan

A My Little Pony was always my fav gift and honestly still would be. Not those new ones though. That and a Popple or board game... Like Operation or Mouse Trap.

At this point, awesome socks are pretty high up there, but that was the worst gift when I was a kid lol.

December 22, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  8. MommyPaine

Warm, fuzzy pajamas

December 22, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  9. RC

Now, Captain Morgan's Private Stock, when I look back, my favorite present was a ceramic item my mother made for me, a baby in bed bank which has sat next to my bed for more than 30 years now.

December 22, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  10. Kristin taglienti

my favorite Christmas gift?
    I'd love to go on a sleigh ride down a snowy lane.

December 22, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  11. Deondre'

Well, I'm 14 now but when I was 11, I always wanted a laptop, as I used to see them on TV, so I begged my mom to get me one, and on Dec. 25, 2007, I got one and that was my favorite Christmas gift ever.

December 22, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  12. Joan Palmer

My favorite and very best Christmas present was my oldest daughter who was born Christmas morning 44 years ago Friday.

Joan

December 22, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  13. Mike

My favorite Christmas gift? That's an easy one. I serve in the U.S. Army and I am home for only my second Christmas since the beginning of OIF. I have my wife and boys to spend it with. That's the best of all gift for me.

December 22, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  14. Mike from Gig Harbor, WA

A Daisey "Red Rider" bb gun. And yes, I almost shot my eye out several times.

December 22, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  15. Jean

My favorite holiday gift was baking cookies with my children, Also, driving around town on Christmas Eve, after church, and checking out all the various neighborhood Christmas lights.

December 22, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  16. Chris Dawkins (San Francisco)

Hey Tony,

My all time favorite gift was a set a of golf clubs. when i was 12 i got my first set and my parents would drop me at the local course less than 2 mins from my house and i would play this 9 hole, par 3 course over and over and over again. now i am 23 and own my own golf business.. happy holidays

December 22, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  17. Burns Family

Our favorite gifts this year were the gifts and toys we delivered personally to an Atlanta women's shelter. Nothing warms up the holidays more than giving with compassion to people who were once a stranger to you!

December 22, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  18. Aidyn

I would want to be with my family and only MY family and thats all I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I didn't have my family with me at christmas I would be very disapointed

December 22, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  19. robyncaffrey keyser west virginia 26726

my bigg'est wish is:

peace on earth "
    and always cherrished , the big turkey dinner with homeade stuffing , cranberrys , all typ's of veggies mashed potatos + gry and ' pumkin,+ apple , + cherry ,+ blueberry ,+ all custard pies
    apple cider , egg nog after dinner, . merry christmas to all cnn )

December 22, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  20. Jenifer

My favorite gift is not a material one! This year my husband and I were given the greatest gift! After ten years of trying to conceive, we are now expecting our first child through the miracles of IVF! Our hearts are filled with joy and love! Merry Christmas to all!

December 22, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  21. Aidyn

I would want to be with my family and only MY family and thats all I want!!!If I didn't have my family with me at christmas I would be very, very, very disapointed. I would rather have my family at christmas than gifts and food

December 22, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  22. Austin

a gamecube from my nana

December 22, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  23. Denise

I'd like to say you do a great job in the news and plus looks very nice and handsome, how old are you? Love your dimples, keep looking good. Now all I want to say is , How can man tell another man when to have children? Who man him God to stop people from having children, children are a blessing and No man have the right to be in another mans marriage bed or family life. The men who is making this decision do they have children OR a wife ? He must not be blessed to have children, blanks huh?. Who give him the right to tell another man when to or not to have a child. Is he CRAZY, MUST BE! Tell him not to have sex or not to eat.! It would kill him. Children are a blessing. Tell him to retire , go somewhere and hide with ben!! LOL.

December 22, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  24. Jamie Garner

To me the Favorite gift i could get this year is to spend it with my Grandparents, I have not seen them in a really long time, i dont want anything else at all just that =)

December 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  25. Carol

All-time favorite gift:
    A little red leather rocking chair when I was 6, in which I could rock my new baby sister. (She's now medicare-eligible!!!!)

December 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  26. Edward Frankhill

Watching a sneak preview of Avatar at home...

December 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  27. Holly Collins

The best gift ever was delivered almost six years ago on Christmas Eve–our daughter, Riley. It was definitely a memorable Christmas: One spent in the operating room with holiday music playing in the background, a doctor with huge ornaments as earrings and a holiday dinner of yummy hospital food!

December 22, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  28. Dare

One year was hard on us all, so we had a pot-luck dinner and spent the day with each other; no "presents". The gift was being together and loving and enjoying each other, singing carols, watching football. I have never forgotten that Christmas.

December 22, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  29. Holly

When I was 5 years old, my mom and brother built me a beautiful dollhouse by hand... Complete with roof shingles. Even thinking of it now makes me all giddy. Still my favorite gift 25 years later!!

December 22, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  30. Denise

When I was growing up money was scarce so our gifts at Christmas very seldom included anything we'd actually asked for. We got things we actually needed, clothes, socks and the like. One year when I was about 8 I got what I asked for, a Pogo Stick! When I walked out and saw it there, it was the best day of my life. I jumped on that pogo stick until the rubber came off the bottom and off the foot pegs and it squeaked horribly with every jump. I could do some pretty great tricks and was heartbroken when it stopped working entirely. I'm now 40 years old and to this day that is easily one of my best gifts, all time, ever.

December 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  31. Al Castro

The best gift I could ever have is the birth of my daughter in 12-27-07. Although a couple day after Christmas....it is a gift that is priceless and last a life time....
    Happy holidays Tony!

-Al Castro

December 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  32. Capt Chuck

I am glad my friend who has been battling Agent Orange is alive. I am glad those of us who are 100% disabled veterans are alive. No thanks to the Veterans Administration. A great gift for the holidays would be proper health care.

December 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  33. Kim Hering

Favourite gift ever: THE CULT OF CARTMAN (REVELATIONS) set of South Park DVDs.

December 22, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  34. John Namias

I just "received" it on Friday. We paid off our mortgage!!! Whoo-hoo!!

December 22, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  35. Kendall Darveaux

My favorite gift was an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle, with a compass in the stock and this 'thing' which tells time.

Actually, I never got this as an actual gift, but every year we watch "A Christmas Story" as a family, which, in my opinion, is WAY better than a BB gun.

December 22, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  36. Jean

EASY ONE. My favorite gift was a baby, that was born as a gift to everyone, but is only appreciated by those who accept Him in their home.

December 22, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  37. Jason Violetta

My beautiful daughter !

December 22, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  38. Moira Obermeyer

My favorite Christmas gift was our first child, Steve, who was born on a snowy Christmas night in Nurnberg, Germany . My husband was serving in the Army, and so we were away from our families that year. But it was the most glorious Christmas of our lives. Happy 52nd Birthday, Steve; we love you!

December 22, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  39. Scott Minor

My wife Sherri who has been fighting stage 4 breast cancer for over a year will be celebrating Christmas with our two teenage sons and extended family.

December 22, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  40. Magda

In my country,Christmas is not really about gifts ,but if I had to choose, my favorite Christmas one was ticket home!! There is really nothing better than Christmas with family, table full of traditional dishes, and grandmas and mom beside me.
    America slow down with the Christmas mania shoping !

December 22, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  41. Kevin Sullivan

By far the best gift I have ever received is a truly honest thank you.

December 22, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  42. Brian (Houston)

So what is my favorite CHRISTMAS gift? Well I'll tell you what my favorite CHRISTMAS gift would be, and that is for all these greedy corporations like the auto manufactures, big box retailers like Best Buy, 1800flowers and the media like CNN to finally call this so called "holiday" what it really is...CHRISTMAS! Greedy corporations have chosen to take the Christ out of CHRISTMAS not so much to be politically correct, but just plain greedy and make this "holiday" a profit machine. Otherwise we wouldn't have "Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday". For all these greedy corporations, taking out Christ out of CHRISTMAS takes the religion out of this event so all people who are not Christians will shop and spend lots of money, and advertisers will spend lots of ad dollars on media like CNN (Time Warner) thus raising their profits.

And what these greedy corporations have forgotten, if not for the birth of our lord and savior Jesus Christ, they wouldn't have a "Holiday" because Christmas wouldn't exist. Perhaps even some CNN anchors might remember that before offending CNN viewers by calling the gifts "Holiday Gifts" instead of what they should be called "Christmas Gifts" or presents. This is NOT just "a" Holiday, it's Christmas, so how bout showing some respect for your Christian viewers and stop calling this holiday your making a ton of money from what it is "CHRISTMAS"!

December 22, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  43. Deborah

My favorite gift... I don't have one. I'm just happy to have my family with me on the special day. "O Holy Night" It is the season for giving and forgiving. The most important reason for Christmas isn't about candy, toys, or even Santa. It's about Jesus. He was born just to die for us. How can anyone not believe He's real or doubt His existance? Satin believes He's real..

God Bless you all... and have a merry Christmas.

December 22, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  44. PMcG

For my 8th or 9th Christmas, 1947 or 1948, Santa brought me an Erector Set with electric motor. I played with that set for three or four years, finally losing enough pieces and doing enough damage to the motor that it was no longer usable. It was several years before I came to appreciate what a truly wonderful gift it was. Dad worked in a mill in Dubuque, Iowa, and at the peak of his earning power before retirement in 1962 he earned no more than $50 per week. I can't imagine how little he must have brought home in 1948 or 1949 to feed and clothe his family of five. Anyway, it was the best present I ever got and, to this day, I can still picture me sitting on the living room floor on a well-used carpet building all sorts of great stuff: lifting cranes, drawbridges, swing spans, and whatever else my young imagination could create. It was great!

December 22, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  45. gwendolyn lyman`

Tony. I listen to you every day. My favorite Christmas gift is having my children and grandchildren home for the holiday. To me that is the best gift of all.

December 22, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  46. leigh

my favorite present this year is my husband.

he had a liver transplant in march and is doing great and still with me. many thanks and gratitude to the liver transplant team at vanderbilt university medical center

December 23, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  47. Linda Stevens

Just like The Christmas Story, my favorite gift was a Red Rider BB gun. And no, I never did put my eye out!

December 23, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  48. Weaver

I remember when I was about seven or eight. I wanted a Nintendo Entertainment System so badly. That morning, I opened up a copy of Tiny Toons Adventures for the NES. Me being me, I figured, "Aw, they got me the wrong version. I only have a Game Boy." A few presents later, I nearly flipped out when I unwrapped my new NES. It's hard to top that feeling.

December 23, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  49. Frank Mitchell

My favorite gift was a pair if Hi Shoes with a Space on one of the shoes for a pocket knife This was in the middle of the 30s when one Easter Dinner was Mac & Cheese & one summer We were Given One Ice Cream Cone (cost of 5 cents) Soo Dont tell ME about the "GOOD Ol DAYS!!!) Eighty-Two Year Old

December 23, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  50. Anthony Latour

My favorite gift on Christmas has to be the expression on the face of who I bought the gift for. I finally got my mother the best gift she could ever ask for, and it took me 5 months of dedication to wrap it. After 18 years of a somewhat troubled youth, I finally gave my mom the letter of my first college "report card." I made the Dean's List with a 3.75 at Youngstown State University, and I major in political science. She was ecstatic, and it felt good to see real pride in my Mother and Father's eyes. The best give I could ever receive is you showing my achievement on CNN. Thank You.

December 23, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  51. michael morgan

the true precious gift of family is overall my favorite but as for material gifts . i was a single mom of two and fiancially struggeling,my toddle still in cloth diapers ,the washer broke and i had to ring my laundry by hand.my new sweetheart had a brand new washing machine delivered on christmas eve truly breathtaking at the time i new he was a keeper !!!hey thanks for asking what was yours?

December 23, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  52. Anthony Latour

My favorite gift on Christmas has to be the expression on the face of who I bought the gift for. I finally got my mother the best gift she could ever ask for, and it took me 5 months of dedication to wrap it. After 18 years of a somewhat troubled youth, I finally gave my mom the letter of my first college "report card." I made the Dean's List with a 3.75 at Youngstown State University, and I major in political science. She was ecstatic, and it felt good to see real pride in my Mother and Father's eyes. The best gift I could ever receive is you showing my achievement on CNN. Thank You.

**correction (gift, not give)

December 23, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  53. ed

My favorite gift was my 3 year old son in bone marrow transplant 15 years ago giving us 300 white cells on the 25th day of his transplant.
    We were heading for a disastor at xmas time if he did'nt produce the cells. Today he is an 18 year old freshman in Aeronautical Engineering. Our present came from a woman in England who donated her Marrow. Yes, Xmas is not about material things.

December 23, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  54. Mickie Bowman

My favorite Christmas gift came when I was 10 years old. It was a small roll top desk beautifully crafted, Over the years, it was passed down to my 4 brothers and sisters. Mountains of homework were done sitting at it. My father was a blue collar worker with only a high school education. He saw to it that all of us graduated from college. I'll never forget the note that came with that Christmas gift, " Working hard at this little desk will help make all the dreams we have for you, and all your own special dreams, come true. Love, Mother and Daddy."

December 23, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  55. Sunday

My All Time favorite gift came last year when I got my Kelly. She's a Fawn Pug and she is Amazing!!! Sad that I had to wait 42 yrs for her.

December 23, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  56. Suzie E.

When I was 8, I received a miniature slot machine with a pull handle from my father. It worked with bells and lights. I absolutely loved it. All my Barbies took a back seat in Ken's car for a while.

December 23, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  57. Peg Stephens

the best give I ever gave was this year – when we took all the money that we would have spent on all of the family members and bought groceries for the food panty of South Louisville
    Community Ministeries (that our church supports). We also helped sent them monies to help keep the electric on in some homes that are going to have their power turned off.
    All our family members really like the idea and may create a new tradition.
    It is bad that it too me this long to feel this good.
    Peg

December 23, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  58. Potter P Kingsland, GA

The greatest gift I was ever given for christmas was a car my dad made for me with wood from the backkyard. I got to help him make it. I still have that car today. I grew up in Africa and my parents did not have much but all they spend their money on was my education. I am reaping those benefits todays.

December 23, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  59. Asha

When i was 10 my 17 year old brother made me a "Best Sister Award" that he had painted and drawn that had "Best Sister Award." "Awarded to Anastazsa, my lovely sister." written on it.

I love it so much i still have it hanging on my wall in my room.

December 23, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  60. jan neely

Several years ago, when I was still in my fifties, my daughter,surprized me with a tandem skydive. She had heard me mention once that it was something I'd love to do "before I die". The anticipation,signing all those disclaimers, suiting up, and then the actual 'jump and fly" had to be the experience of a lifetime. But I hope not, because I'm ready to do it all again. Amy, are you listeneing? Jan

December 23, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  61. Cindy Cohen

Tony,

This is an easy one. The best gift ever is this year.

Thirty-four years ago, when I was 8, I had an apartment for the summer in Atlantic City at The Ritz.

There was a 26-year-old doorman there who meant the world to me, watched over me and always had time for me. How he made me laugh! I had such a crush on him and consider him my first love. When summer came to an end, I knew I'd never see him again and practically burst into tears when we said our good-byes.

Thanks to Facebook, I found his son, who is my age, and through him, found my first love all these years later. We've recently talked, still laughed together, and will have a reunion this summer!

Thanks,
    Cindy Cohen

December 23, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  62. A. Anderson

Dear Mr. Twinkle Toes Harris:

You brought charm, class and sexy back! Awesome performance with the Georgia ballet!

December 23, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  63. DC

Two three month old Liver & White Springer Spaniel puppies!! Under the tree, in a red and white box. I love them still!!

December 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  64. Renee

Tony, don't sweat it - you were great! What fun to see you beyond the land of talking heads. Happy holidays!

December 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  65. Teresa Schoellkopf

Sweetie! Ya' did great! That was awesome! Wish I'd been down there to have the opportunity to see the entire show! Now – just hush!

December 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  66. Snezhana Flynn

I am European, and the best gift for me is a plane ticket, and a Christmas family dinner with all my family. All the stuff wrapped in fancy paper, don't matter.

December 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  67. Kip Kennedy

The best Christmas I ever had was this year. After being homeless for over 3 years living in shelters and halfway houses, I finally have my own apartment.

I don't have to listen to people snoring and making noise all night long.

I feel like a person again.

December 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  68. Ilsa

Hi Tony! I've had some really great gifts through the years, like my guitar or wonderful jewelry, but today Josh gave me my favorite gift: watching you, Twinkle Toes, dance in that video! It was great!

December 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  69. Edward

The best gift I have ever recieved was in 2004 my girlfriend flew back from italy to be with me and my family on christmas. She is now my beautiful wife of 4 years and I believe it was that christmas that did it.

December 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  70. Ginny Weddington

My favorite gift of all-time was my telescope! Can you imagine what the neighbor's thought to see an 11 year-old girl climbing a ladder to the roof of her house, sit down on the chimney, unbox the big scope, and proceed to view all of downtown Tampa. I was 11 and fearless.

December 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  71. Clay Kilgore

When I was about 8 years old, my grandmother gave me a paint box – not a kid's "toy" paint box, but a REAL paint box with many good brushes and big tubes of acrylic paint. My grandmother knew something about me that I didn't know yet, but I never put that gift down completely because I have built my life on it. I am 48 now, and I have made most of my living from what came out of that gift. Thank you, Grandma Lois!

December 23, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  72. john widgren

By far the best gift I ever received was two years ago (I'm no longer a kid) My dear wife purchased a water buffalo for village in need through Heiffer international in my name. I have always enjoyed telling the story of how Janet bought me a water buffalo, and I have never been more proud of her. Thanks and Happy Holidays!!! John

December 23, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  73. Anon

this has nothing to do with the gifts but your dancing was excellent. The people that work with you are just jealous cause they can't bust a move like that!

December 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  74. Anna Marie Olson

Merry Christmas Twinkle Toes,
    My favorite was over 17 years ago when I had my twin girls Verna and Virginia on Christmas eve. Those were the best presents I had received.

happy Birthday Verna and Virginia

December 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  75. Sandy - Eugene, OR

It is probably normal to be nervous, but your dancing was AMAZING! You were just terrific!

December 23, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  76. Vicky from WI

My favorite gift/memory was watching my father retrieve my new saucer from the creek about 10 minutes after having received it on Christmas day. What made it special is that my father actually retrieved it in his suit and wingtips through the snow after realizing that I did not want another saucer as he tried to convince me, but the one that Santa brought.

p.s. Tony – You're the BEST!!! Love the dancing clip.

December 23, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  77. Julia in AZ

The best gift I ever got was getting my then fiance (now husband) back from a year-long deployment to South Korea. He got back just in time for Christmas and it was, and still is, the best gift I could ever ask for.

By the way Tony, your dance was amazing!

December 23, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  78. Berno Richter

My father was separated from me just before birth in 1960. A few weeks ago he found me. I am so lucky to have a huge loving family after all these years. Best christmas present ever. Thank You God.

December 23, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  79. Michael Hiner

I remember one year when my father said all I was going to get was a snow shovel and a box full of nothing, and low and behold that's exactly what I opened that year ..... but the entire family also got our first color TV set.

Happy Holidays
    Mike

December 23, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  80. Seth

I am now thirteen but when I was in secound grade I recieved a disco ball which was the best thing ever at the time. I now have it hanging in my room and play music, while having it going.

December 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  81. Ginny Baumann

When I was eight, my favorite gift was a book called "Folk Tales Children Love" by Watty Paper. The stories and the pictures were so beautiful I read it to death, read it to my first child and lost it in a move. Imagine my surprise when was able to find it on Ebay last year! I gave it to myself, and had experienced that Christmas all over again.

By the way, Tony, you were superb in your performance in "The Nutcracker!!" Such aplomb! Don't kill Josh – he was being justifiably proud of your accomplishment! gb

December 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  82. Linda Travis

In 1988, I received a little blue backpack. Inside I discovered a tiny bikini and brochures and tickets to Maui. That was the best gift ever. My husband and I were married 6 years then. Now, going on 28....

December 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  83. Susan Cornelius

My favorite gift to give was a three-day Christmas holiday at the Ritz Carlton Laguna HIlls. I surfed the net until I found an amazing special price, booked the room for three days, and then asked my husband to quite simply relax for three days and be pampered. It is not something that in these times, I can afford, so now we spend the time relaxing at home and relaxing. The closeness, watching movies, and just being together reenergizes us for the next year. And Tony, relax! It takes a real man to dance on stage with a ballet company, and I noticed you not only kept up with the music, but you were graceful! Like I said, "...a real man!"

December 23, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  84. Jamie

My best Christmas present ever was in 1998. My husband bought me a SAAB 9-5. I loved that car for 9 years, and then I gave my car to my son who loves it as much as I loved it.

The best Christmas present now would be for GM to sell SAAB to Spyker. Here's to all who have loved their SAABs.

Merry Christmas!!

December 23, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  85. Millie Baker Ragosta

Dear Tony,
    My favorite Christmas gift arrived at 4:20 PM, Christmas day, 1950 . . . a beautiful 6 pound, 12 ounce baby boy. My dear husband, Vince and I had been married less than 11 months and were, literally, poorer than any church mice I ever heard of, he being a low-grade government worker for the treasury department. That wonderful baby grew up to be every bit as fine and giving as his dad and I dreamed he would. We lost his dad 20 years ago but young Vince stepped gently into his shoes. All of his 10 younger siblings, my 17 grand-children and 3 great-grandchildren feel free to turn to him for his loving wise advice. As for me . . . I couldn't get along without my best Christmas gift ever.

December 23, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  86. Earl Rinehold

1955 hopalong cassiity complete cowboy outfit hat boots 2 six shooters cant beat that earl bristol pa.

December 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  87. Mary Lou Coady

The best gift is being able to celebrate another holiday season with my mother, who is in frail health living in a nursing home.

For anyone out there wanting to give something special this year ... give of yourself...give of your time. Visit your local nursing home.

You might be surprised how many elderly do not have relatives that live close, or are able to visit them. Others are merely 'forgotten,' due to poor memory and health issues. This can be a sad time of year for them.

Tuck a few small gifts in your arms if you can. See the beautiful smiles come to the faces of these gentle souls who want nothing more than a little love and recognition that they are not forgotten at this special time of year.

Blessings to all!

December 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  88. Lele

My favorite gift ever was a framed needle point poem proclaiming to pride and love a mother for her daughter. She told me to wrap it for my older sister and as I read it I secretly cried wondering how could she give such a heart felt gift to my bad sister instead of me.
    Imagine my suprise Christmas morning when she handed me the gift I thought I had wrapped for my sister. I was 18 years old and it was the only gift I remember receiving that Christmas. It was also my mothers last Christmas with us. She died the following May. She was awesome.

December 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  89. jesse

my favorite gift was a sega video same system. I still have it today

December 23, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  90. Judith Garcia

My favorite gift was a pair of Winchester ball bearing roller skates. They were street skates you attach to your shoes. I was about 10 years old at the time. I lived on those skates.

December 23, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  91. Tom Garry

My favorite Christmas gift was received from my wife of 45 days in 1972. We had just married in November, after a whirlwind courtship and had gone through our first "billing cycle" together. It was an eye opener for me. Mary had been alone with the children for four years and had made things work by vigorous use of her credit cards. I had no credit card debt. A little something to work out here. When she asked what I wanted for Christmas, I said how about your credit cards and we both chuckled. Christmas morning she gave me a couple of the typical shirt and pajama's, and then a small package with a big red ribbon. You guessed it, all of her credit cards and a pair of scissors. Still chuckling together 37 years later. Oh yes that was the best.

December 23, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  92. Heather

My darling husband, is the very best gift I've ever had at this time of year. We got married on Dec 24, 1969, 40 years ago, Eric's a gift that gets better with time and a loving kind man that keeps on giving, we have grown to be better people together. Heather Mash
    Tillamook, Oregon

December 23, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  93. Karina

I wanna meet Ryan Seacrest!!!!!! 🙂

December 24, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  94. Scott Minor

I was a little surprised my favorite present did not compete well against those that were aired. I was hoping to show a little
    extra appreciation to one of the strongest and loving people I have ever met.

December 24, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  95. Patty Detroit

Most terrorist experts will tell you that the new face of terrorism is
    that is home grown. The story should be about what we are doing here at home, case in point, the bomber from Colorado, Najibullah Zazi. (I would say homeland but it sounds like a Nazi term and I wish we could drop it.)

You should interview NYPD Police Chief Raymond Kelly about his world renowned Anti-terrorism unit.

Thank you.

PD

December 29, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  96. Ried

My best friend that came home in fallujah during 2004. we heard his unit had been involved in firefights but didnt know if he was alive.

December 31, 2009 at 11:04 am |