Today on CNN Newsroom

December 28th, 2009

How to Speed Through Airport Security

The terror scare has caused even more delays at airports for this holiday traveling season. But there are things you can do to speed up the security screening process. We break it down for you.
More info from the TSA here.
And to learn ideas for speeding up check-in, check out this story, packed with advice from experts.

Post by:
Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. christa

This morning I saw the Secretary of Homeland Security say, the staff and the passengers acted accordingly. First if these stupid people at homeland security did their jobs correctly, he should have never in that plane, passenger doing the job of homeland security I think not. I am proud of this young man from the Netherlands doing the job of our homeland security department, they were to busy chatting with each other and having X-mas parties. How I know, I used to work for the government and what made me sick, was the laziness of some people. Heads should fall at homeland security , starting at the top, we do not need incompetend people at this dept. For what is the list of all these insurgents when they do not use it and why don't they flag their computers, to flash the screen or whatever. All I know we have idiots in Washington, including the old and new staff of homeland security.

December 28, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Dont take nothing with you buy your stuff when you get to where your going .

December 28, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  3. Don

I believe that the US is doing a fine job in airport security. It always seems to be other countries that are lacking in airport security. So why do we have to suffer by going through more stringent search’s and delays? The emphasis should be in the countries that travel to the US. Your not going to fix there problem from the US.

December 28, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  4. Scott Stodden

I don't think its appropiate for airports to speed up security checks at airports, I believe we should not only use machines to search people but also we should do mandatory hand searches like if we were visiting a federal instituition. Please increase security checks at all airports. Its for the sake of our country because we are at risk of a terroist attack again.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

December 28, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  5. John Nolley II

Maybe now the fact that GSA investigators have found time and time again that the TSA routinely misses bomb parts during tests should alarm a few more people (yes, I know it wasn't the TSA this time).

However, the best way to speed through security: STOP THE MADNESS! We're seeing reactionary, knee-jerk, closing-the-barn-after-the-horse-is-out measures which do little to actually improve aviation security and instead only inconvenience and annoy those of us who travel. Write your Congresscritters and ask for real security reform, not kabuki security nonsense like shoes-off, stay-in-your-seats, etc. that we see today. After Richard Reid's shoe bombing incident, I said several times: "Next, it will be an underwear or bra bomb, and no amount of metal detectors and pat-downs will catch that." Sadly, I was right... yet just like in the aftermath of Reid's bombing attempt, we're seeing useless reactionary tactics.

December 28, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  6. leslie ingreenville

How can someone board a plane to the US without a passport. Npr reported this fact on no. Passport

December 28, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  7. Malynda

I have a tip to add to speed through airport security. Simply force the Department of Homeland Security to do their jobs and respond to repeated warnings and actually investigate. Here's an eample of how it would go. Father of possible terrorist to authorities in USA – "Hi my son is a radical terrorist and wishes to kill people in America." DHS or other authorities – "What's his name, address, phone number, birthdate, blood type, location, friends, family, schools, work?" DHS or other authorities in USA investigate – "Oh dang this guys has PETN, a Visa and tickets to board flight 253 on Dec. 25, 2009 to Detroit, MI." DHS or other authorities arrest suspect. Meanwhile, back in the USA, passengers in airports – "Wow, I can't believe how I can go through security so quickly and that my loved ones can sit with me til I board my plane at the terminal and I can have water and sandwiches from home, even on the plane, and I can bring my nail file and I can have a lighter and I can wear my shoes and I don't have to be x-rayed to nakedness and I am not worried about being stripped or cavity searched. It's been almost a decade since I could breathe going to the airport."

December 29, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  8. Archibald A. Fraser

Note that the issue of privacy with full body scanning has what I consider to be a good solution. If the images from the full body scan is combined with pattern recognition techniques for analysis then you can get the following benefits: a) eliminate the need for people to view thebody images, b) use computers to analyze the body images, and c) increased probability of detection without the risk of typical human mistakes. Note that pattern recognition learning algorithms can be trained to get smarter over time and to encorporate some new and previously unforseen threats. The technique can be used to both recognize and identify threats due to items being hidden on the body.

I am very surprised that noone has looked at this angle.

Regards ,

A. Fraser

January 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  9. Deb

I recently recieved a call from a Jason Peek, from
    American Mortgage Relief Services. My husband has been unemployed for a year and we are close to default on our mortgage. He said for $4000.00 he could have an attorney who specializes in negotiations with mortgage companies and could have our Bank of America loan brought down to 3.5 to 4% and our 2nd with Chase Bank which is 100k he said he could make that go away for 4 to 8 cents on the dollar. He also said that he got my phone number because I had gone onto a FannieMae site and inquried about mortgage modification help.
    Out house is upside down value now is 220k and loan amount is 340k. Is this a legitimate company? I was going to pull the money out of my 401k to save the house.

January 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm |