Today on CNN Newsroom

December 31st, 2009

Happy New Year!

Today in the Newsroom, we're following New Years celebrations all over the world. What are your favorites? What are your plans? What are your hopes for the new year?
Check out our special section, 2009: Year in Review. From politics to the economy to the "dumbest moments" to... J. Lo's dress, CNN.com is wrapping up the year and the decade.

Filed under: Heidi Collins • Josh Levs • Kyra Phillips • Tony Harris
  1. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The dumbest moment of the year has to be a million people standing in time square waiting to see a ball drop in freezing cold weather with no rest rooms I myself am going to be sitting in a nice warm house drinking some holiday cheer avoiding any crowed.

December 31, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  2. Ivan

Hey Josh:
    One of the most spectacular display of fireworks I have seen for New Year's,takes place in Valparaiso,Chile and extends all the way to neighbouring Vina del mar.
    These two cities share a secluded bay which by this date is packed with merchant ships that all blow their horns to welcome the new year.
    It is such an spectacle!!!!

December 31, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  3. Larry

Heidi:

After watching Josh Lev's report on the Times Square celebration tonight, I have to ask an indelicate question.

If, after standing in Times Square for 8 hours or so prior to the New Year beginning, where or what do these hordes do in the event of a need to relieve themselves?

It would seem that security requirements would mandate the removal of thousands of port-a-potties, if they were available at all.

December 31, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  4. Teri

The most memorable moment was the beginning of the swine flu scare and the vaccine. That I will remember forever.

December 31, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  5. Aarzoo

My most memorable news for 2009 is Barack Obama as president and most unforgettable news is Barack Obama for Noble Peace Prize

December 31, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  6. matthew

i will like to urge each and every American to forget former vice president Dick Chenny politics and forward ahead in building this great country America. God BLESS AMERICA AND AMERICANS

December 31, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  7. devon price

josh and heidi,
    i just want to stay home, watch kathy g hit on a cooper and have some laughs by the fire with my fam...happy new year!

December 31, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  8. Paige

Happy New Year to all Love:Jaime Dave Paige and Chelsea

December 31, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  9. Willie From Florida

My plan for the new year is to get out more. Follow in the tradition of our President to unite people.

December 31, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  10. NaCole

My most memorable moment of 2009 was neither the death of Michael Jackson nor the election of President Barak Obama, it was the birth of my first daughter Kezia-Veronica who will be celebrating her first birthday on the 6th of January. Happy Birthday Princess!

December 31, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  11. Trapper

Josh
    For New Years, I will sleep. Then get up in the morning and see how people made fools of them selves. Why? because new years eve is for the rookies and nuts.

Trapper

December 31, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  12. Kathy Barrett

Josh,
    I have suffered through the morning listening to the news anchors refer to 2009 as the end of the decade. As everyone knows there was no year zero. A decade is 10 years long. The decade began in 2001 and will end at the end of 2010. The now decade will begin in 2011. Please make the correction. Thanks. Happy New Year.

December 31, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  13. Ross Putsvatik

The very fabric of the world has become undone with "new innovations" in our lives. New innovation has sparked a very impersonal way of life that is not good for humanity. The world will suffer from technological advances which really put us further back with respect to how humans treat other humans. Many things in our lives would be much better off if left to remain with the innocent innovation of the past. Once again, it is all for the almighty dollar....

December 31, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  14. Chase

My hope for 2010 is that there will be less Gosselins, Octomoms, and Bernie Madoffs, and more Susan Boyles and Sully Sullenbergers.

December 31, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  15. vanessa lynch

you no i do all the ordinary stuff to do on new years but this yesr i'm flying to china

December 31, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  16. Rachel Lewis Murphy

I will greatly miss Senator Edward M. Kennedy. He not only worked hard for Massachusetts, but for our country and the world. He loved Massachusetts, the USA, his family and friends. He stood up and voiced his opinions about the good things and the bad things. He did not neglect his tremendous family obligations and it must have been a great strain on him. I pray that the person who takes his slot, because he or she cannot replace him, will put their love of Massachusetts, the USA and the world ahead of politics and grand standing. We do not need anymore of that. We need people who care about cleaning up our environment and conserving natural resources and energy and not bowing down to the lobbyist. But, most people do not seem to have the inner strength or integrity to do that. Time will be the answer.

December 31, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  17. vanessa lynch

this year im going to china!! me and my family are excited

December 31, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  18. Alex

Since we don't like to get on the road on new years eve, our neighborhood gets together and does a "progressive" party. We have appetizers at one house, dinner at another and end off at our house for dessert and dancing to ring in the new year. Everyone brings a dish and or drink to share- Its a great way to celebrate, safely. No one drives home as they are all within waddling distance.

Happy new year.

December 31, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  19. steve and joy burkett

Josh, my husbend and i will be bringing in the new year praying and fellowshiping with good friends. we will eat together,pray for our goverment and we all wish you a happy new year!!

December 31, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  20. Fred

My favourite viewing moments : CNN in Time-Square on Dec. 31 from 11:00 p.m. through midnight, Jan. 1 since Anderson has been covering it, coupled with the shots from New Orleans & other cities around America & the globe. Talk about uniting people as people!!!
    My hope for 2010 : the President & other world leaders successsfully work together to tackle the big world problems ( jobs in America, peace in the Middle East, environmental issues around the globe )!!!
    My plans : open lines of real & meaningful communication ( wherever realistically possible )!!! Happy New Year to one & all!

December 31, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  21. Fred

Also, Congrats Erica Hill! Blessing to you & yours! HNY!

December 31, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  22. Susan

Can I say out loud, " Good by and Good Riddance" to 2009. It has been a tough year in so many ways globally, nationally, financially, professionally, medically and personally. We look so forward to 2010 being a fresh start and hopefully a brighter new decade.

December 31, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  23. Ellen Bryant

The best thing for me was the week of all the events that took place before swearing in President OBAMA : I went to DC to see how so many cultures came together peacefully! The worst was the closings and so many job being depleted: sad to see so many people without work.....that will change soon! Happy New Year & thank you guys for all the timely news briefs.

December 31, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  24. Hakon Moller

Hi Josh I couldn't help hearing your comments about Australia's biggest firework in the world....not so. I beg to differ
    The biggest in the world on new years eve is in REYKAJVIK ICELAND.
    And let me tell you why.
    EVERYBODY (adults of course) in the capitol can buy and use fireworks on new years eve,(that's about 100.000 )
    So you do the math

Happy new year!!

December 31, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  25. Loren

personally, i have no problem with being nude. zero, zip, nada. HOWEVER, i dont know if i want to see most other people nude.

December 31, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  26. jim

I think flying naked would be a great Idea.I know at least 100 nudists that would join me . Naked jim

December 31, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  27. Rene Houng

Happy New Year Tony,
    Please let viewers know that the majority of travelers in Africa pay their tickets cash. I am surprised that even politicians or governments officials keep saying it's suspicious to buy ticket with cash in Africa. About 5% of Africans use cards for purchases. Thanks. René

December 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  28. John

Until the persons in charge of security start worring about people's safety and not there own political gain it will never change. I cross the border 2-3 times per week and

December 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  29. Denise

I will be praising God in church. I think in the wake of things happening in the world today we all should be in someone's church thanking God for all that he has done for us in 2009. I am so grateful when my feet hit the floor every morning I wake up breathing. We need to stop taking life for granted and make the most of every day like it is our last. God Bless and have a Blessed New Year!!!!

December 31, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  30. Bill Larson

I just completed a round trip from Las Vegas to Nashville, Tennessee on the Greyhound bus. NOT ONCE was I checked for weapons, neither were my bags. We all have seen buses explode in other countries. Are we whom choose to travel by land expendible? I saw people board the bus, place their cary-on bags in the oveerhead, and then get back off and go into the terminal to do whatever until the bus was ready to leave. This is unacceptable. Can someone look into this?

December 31, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  31. ARJAY

What's gone obsolete? How about critical thinking and common sense? The Bush administration and Rupublican Congress let the economy go into a tailspin by making obsolete laws that had kept banks out of the real estate business for 60 years. Result? Economic meltdown. Who's fault? Why, Obama's, of course. Because he 's a socialist. Who was born in Kenya.

G.W. Bush lied to the American people about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, invaded the county for no reason, and lost 5,000 American lives and 750,000,000,000 dollars in the process. But Dick Cheney continues to lecture the Obama adminstration about what they're doing wrong. And people continue to listen.

Meanwhile Sarah Palin, who quit her job as the governor halfway through her term in order to sign books, is now thinking of running for President. Because she's so well qualified. Having quit her job and lost the election. And people take her seriously.

Obama tries to get better insurance coverage for the average American, and who turns out to protest? The average American, shouting "Keep your government hands off my medicare." Why? Because Obama is going to kill your grandmother. Because he's a fascist. Meanwhile insurance companies lick their lips and shovel more money into Republican coffers.

Have Americans lost their minds?

December 31, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  32. John Paredes

I traveled from Chicago to Newark over the holidays and it was fine.
    With all this talk and questioning about airplane security, why are these questions still are asked after 8 years of Bush and republican rule. And not asked earlier. You guys have no balls and only under the Obama administration you ask and want to look important-especially republicans.

December 31, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  33. Man In Mirror

One of the two problems The United States has with Iran is Iran’s nuclear program and Iran's stance on Israel. Why was Israel re-established after WWII? Why weren't the Jews given asylum in the USA. You will say it was ancestral homeland. Yeah, my ancestral bloodline is all over Europe does that make a piece of property in these countries mine? After all I did not choose to move to the United States of America. It was the choice of my ancestors. In the Book of Revelation it is said that the world will end over land in Israel. Prophecy is an educated guess/prediction of future events. Revelations/predictions are not written in stone. I do not see any group/s agreeing to relinquish power of this territory. How is this remedied? Should Israel become an international domain and common ground with no one people having ownership? As far has nuclear weapons go. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

December 31, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  34. Miryam Yardumian

I hear a lot on CNN about the failure of intelligence regarding the Christmas day attempt to blow up the airliner over Detroit. What I haven't heard is questions about whether the bomber might have had inside help getting on the plane in Amsterdam. Not to take responsibility away from the intelligence organizations that should be sharing information, but this seems like a logical possibility.

December 31, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  35. JA Franklin

You can add to your list of over used words and phrases this one: pretty much. This phrase really rubs me the wrong way

December 31, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  36. Ross Putsvatik

Americans have truly lost their compass for direction and have lost their minds also! Happy New Year from the rubber room!!!

December 31, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  37. Kirti Sonal

Most dumbest moment is trying hard to think "what all were dumbest moment of 2009 on final day of 2009" 🙂 Happy New year to All!!!

December 31, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  38. Teri

Happy New Year Heidi, Josh and Tony:

All the best to you in 2010....I watch you guys pretty well every day – lets keep more of that " no biased news, eh?"

all the best to you and yours

Teri

December 31, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  39. Billy

Kathy Griffin in New Year's Live Show is not funny at all.
    Please pull her off.

December 31, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  40. A. Smith, Oregon

Watching the CNN Staffers in NYC Times Square reminded me how cold it is at the moment in NYC but warmed by the cheer of lots of happy people. I think the US Military is going to have a tough time convincing the American people to begin a 3rd war in the Middle East in Yemen fighting on behalf of Saudi Arabia.

A New Year and A New Decade represents A Clean Sweep, Out with George Bush and the horrific Bush Family and in with the New Year and New Decade with the Obama legacy!

Hope lives and is alive in an America where personal courage is stronger than mass fear.

As the recording of John Lennon's Imagine played thru NYC's Time Square, I was reminded:

If there was no Muslim Religion, there would be much more Peace in the World, yes I agree with you John Lennon. Imagine the people living in Peace without the terror and enslavement of the Muslim religion.

January 1, 2010 at 12:33 am |
  41. Allyson Stone

I am so embarassed for CNN. What a total idiot Kathy Lee is and in the presence of such a classy person as Anderson Cooper. Where does she think she has talent. I have turned the channel because of total disgust with her but still feel the intense need to ask what you were thinking when you hired her to do this segment?
    Allyson

January 1, 2010 at 2:23 am |
  42. Mark

2010 – Here's another option. Let's call it "Two oh, one oh" sounds a little pop.

January 1, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  43. Mark Wetzel

The last 2 years we have been watching for the ball to drop on New Years Eve and they don't show it on TV? I would like to know why.

January 1, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  44. Daryle

heidi –

I have always heard that what you are doing when the new year rings in will influence you throughout the year. With that said, I make it a point to find a new years service. When the new year rang in, I was praying.. I pray for me, I pray for you, I pray for my friends and enimies alike. And I pray for the future of this world..

thanks..

January 1, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  45. Lisa, San Jose CA

Er, not wanting to add too much fuel to the conspiracy theory stuff, but I can't imagine a legitimate use of propafol as a 'sleep aid'.
    If I recall correctly, the drug has some 'amnestic' properties in that folk who are on it generally don't record 'short term memory' to 'long term memory', or at least, don't do so effectively. This is a good thing if you're about to do a painful procedure that a person won't want to remember, but it also casts into question whether Jackson was manipulated regarding things like contracts and wills prior to his death, because if he signed anything while under the influence of propafol, he wouldn't remember having done so.
    I hope the courts are considering this as they settle estate issues.
    Fortunately this is a short-term effect while the drug is being administered intravenously, otherwise one might find widespread criminal abuse of it for such purposes.

January 1, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  46. Maggie R.

Hi Tony........Happy New Year to you and all at CNN!

I'd just like to say what a shame it is that there is so much about Michael Jackson's death and yet nothing about Farah Fawcett.

Michael was definetely an icon in his time....but I feel that Farrah, in her time was also an icon!

It's too bad that Michael's passing overshadowed Farrah's......

Keep up the good work guys and again Happy New Year

January 1, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  47. Irah LaRoche

We still don't have flying cars or personal robots. I hope that within the next decade, we can actually achieve cars that run on water/electricity, and technology that wakes our lives simpler.

January 1, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  48. Kash

Happy New Year and Good Morning Tony !!
    Just wanted to express my views about the "snitching Discussion" I think you are asking the wrong category or the slot of people about snitching because "no snitching is in our culture and it begins at home.....ask yourself how many indians has snitch on a fellow indian ? how many black people have snitched on a fellow black and how many white have snitched on a fellow white ... this might come aross as a something not making sense to you but think again from my point of view......, I face this situation many a times in the retail business I am in.
    Just a point I wanted to highlight that the responsibility lies with the parents to educate their children by setting an example of coming out in open and condeming the person who is doing wrong ,regardless of his race.Again I know this might not make any sense to you but this is connected to no snitching discussion.

January 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  49. Randy Lynden Lundy

Hi Tony,
    am a Bahamian by birth and i currently live in Nassau Bahamas. I really enjoyed your interview "Class In Session". It was very intertaining and enlightening. It is a great concern to see how the youths handle situations today. What they do not understand is when they stand by and watch horrific events with out at least calling for help,they are just guilty of the act.It is not only morally wrong but Spiritually as well.

Randy

January 1, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  50. Joyce Guy-Patton

Josh: Regarding the forecast for 2010, my daughter will graduate from college this spring. She is a finance major, and she has been sending out applications for a job. Due to the loss of available jobs,should she apply to graduate school or continue to attempt to get a position in her field? If she finds employment, I will be able to retire.

January 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  51. meadow

In the list of obsoletes, what are wires?

January 2, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  52. Randy Lynden Lundy

I trust that your daughter will be able to find a job in the financial sector. I encourage her not to give up searching and at the same time continue her education.The greater her accomplishments the better her chances are in getting that job.
    Lundy