Today on CNN Newsroom

January 9th, 2010

CES: Planet of the Apps

The Consumer Electronics Show is under way in Las Vegas. CNN’s Errol Barnett has been following the grand dame of tech conventions and runs through the highlights so far with Betty Nguyen and TJ Holmes.

Join Betty Ngyen along with TJ Holmes weekend mornings in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. David Gross

Marathons a much better cold then hot. Windy however not so much fun!

January 10, 2010 at 6:36 am |
  2. Mahoganney Galapeaux

Comment regarding Henry Reid statement:
    I don't think that this should be taken as a person making an honest statement. I am a black, college educated woman and I hear the statement, "She speaks so well". "she sounds so educated", etc., When I would go home for the holidays, I would hear my family members say things like, "why are you talking like that?". "She thinks she is white". In my church, I try to refrain from speaking because people there even say that I sound like a white woman. These are statements that are hurtful to us and very confusing. I don"t want to be considered as having turned my back on my Black culture and beliefs and on the same token, I want to be successful in my business meetings, etc. Maybe we should be considered as multi-lingual people. Being a Senate Majority leader should not entail making statements such as the one's he made. If he can be careful about what comes out of his mouth on the campaign trail, then why not when he is publishing his book? Were these secret thoughts he was having and thought that no one would read the book?

January 10, 2010 at 7:28 am |
  3. J. Green, Dix Hills, NY

Harry Reid was attempting to say that Obama was a viable candidate because he presented a non-threatening persona, without an identifiable ethnic dialect, unless he wants to affect one for dramatic emphasis. Harry Reid was stupid and old-fashioned in how he said it. Which is why he was criticized. But this is true of all minorities in high profile "public" jobs. Do you think the TJ Holmes and Betty Nguyen would be marketable as news anchors if TJ wore a doo-rag, sported gold teeth grills and introduced a story, "Yo-yo-yo, now here is a dope story." Or imagine Betty dressed in a traditional Vietnamese outfit and introducing a story, "Me bring you berry interesting story now.

In public life, we all live and die by the image we present. JZ and Obama could espouse the same political philosophies. Which one would be more marketable?

J. Green
    Melville, NY

January 10, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  4. Donna Morgan

Good Morning Mr. TJ,

I do not like alot of 'news' but you Mr. TJ present it very professionally and realistically.

I enjoy watching and listening to you and your co-anchor Betty as you present News issues and items and incidents.

Mr. TJ your candor is very refreshing and genuine, that's what I appreciate. I've been wanting to tell you this for months but somehow wouldn't catch your email/web site address. Finally this morning I caught it on the screen. I'm using on the laptop doing work as I listen and watch your time on the screen.

You voice what's on my mind for questions when you are interviewing guests on current/immediate conditions, and I yell Thank You Thank You Thank You .... a TV anchor that asks the 'real core' questions that the viewers are yelling at the TV screen.

When you aren't on the screen its just not the same. Thank You Mr. TJ for your wise choice of being on a viewable media that has a immediate response where you create an improved forum.

January 10, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  5. Roger Wood

I get so tired of this 'Obama' Black American tag. Yes He was born of a black father however, he was born of a white Texan mother, brought up from birth by an all white family and to top it off, this took place in Hawaii. I told pronounce to the world that I am Welsh Canadian. Perhaps all 315 million or so Americans should be designated with dual nationality tags, after all everybody has a foreign background if they go back far enough. I wonder if all African Americans could find Africa on the map.

January 10, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  6. sue scott

can you televise this...
    Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
    'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag.... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907