Today on CNN Newsroom

January 17th, 2010

Mom in the U.S. Agonizes over Her Kids in Haiti

From CNN Meteorologist Jacqui Jeras:

Like many Americans, I am heartbroken over the devastation and tragic stories coming out of Port au Prince and I want to help. So, instead of being the typical meteorologist today, I have been working the CNN Haiti Missing Desk in an effort to reconnect families. I have been poring through www.cnn.com/haitimissing and talking with people who are still searching for loved ones, and others who have found them, but still need help. I was privileged to speak with Cassandre Lorvanis. She is a Haitian native who has been living and working in Massachusetts for the past six years. Her three children have thankfully been found OK, but her fiancé is missing and presumed dead. A neighbor in Port au Prince is currently watching her children, ages 23 months, 8 years and 10 years, but says she can’t care for them any longer as there is no food, water or shelter. Lorvanis is desperately trying to find a way to get them to the U.S. Here is her story…

Filed under: Don Lemon • iReport
  1. Christine Wardell

I have been watching your coverage of the earthquake from the beginning and I rarely hear mention of Canada helping or even very little about trapped Canadians over there. Canada has sent alot or military troops over to assist as well don't forget we are your neighbours. Keep up the good rescue work!

Christine Wardell
    Canadian Viewer

January 17, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  2. Yvonne

I have talked to member of my family who is from Haiti and it would help if the news media would ask Haitian people, what area/neighborhood of Haiti do you live or where the person you are looking for lives in? Many people are looking for their love ones but not all of them live in Port Au Prince but live in an area/neighborhood (has their own name) outside of Haiti. Please be more specific about the locations and also please encourage the rescue people to go to the following locations: Carrefour, Gessier and Carrefour Feille etc. This will help people getting a better idea of what is happening to their love ones. We have heard from people who stated that their love ones need food, water and medicine now. They survived the first few days but are running out of water and food. Please have crews check on these people.

January 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
  3. A.C.

I am a mother and also a college student. I have been haunted by this women's story since I heard it the other day. Is somebody helping her. I can't imagine her agony. My heart is broken for all these people in Haiti. I have donated what little money I have. I wish I could do more. I think as a society we become disconnected from the reality of situations like this. I see these people and in their eyes I see my family and my children.

I hope somebody is helping this women.

Please, Your news has been amazing in covering this disaster. But your people also seem to be able to be there and move around with the people. I don't know this woman. I am not from Haiti, but I am a human being. Please I hope you can help her or you can connect her with people who can. Her poor children, and she can't even go to get them. Please, I think of her babies at night. I pray for them. They need their mommy.

Please help her.

A.C.

January 17, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  4. Cherie Spells

After spending 4 years with the 92nd Medi Vac unit in Everret Washington,11 years total military service,and 20 years with the port of seattle it is remarkable what i am hearing on why aid is not getting to the people unless it is being hoarded and distibruted of fear of being over run or over controlled. Did the Uss Carl enter into port/outside of port and been siiting without choppers on it since Friday???

January 17, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  5. Vic.

I was wondering if anyone could inform me as to when the evacuated U.S citizen will be reach Clearwater Florida today from Haiti. My son and his father (they have been there 8 days) are among that group and I know they left to first stop at Guantanamo Bay and to later continue for Clearwater. If anyone has this answer it would be much appreciated in order for me to go pick them up and in order for them not to wait too long.
    Thank you. Have a great evening

January 17, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  6. KB

The text number to donate to the American Red Cross (90999) is not working. If you text it, a reply comes saying that the shortcode is no longer valid. What is the valid shortcode to donate via text to the American Red Cross?? And why is every network still reporting to donate via that number, when it isnt valid anymore.

January 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  7. PatChurchman

We have been watching CNN a lot the last week and we simply can't understand why with all the outside help, now they're talking about people not making it because they don't have medical facilities they need. Why can't they medivac them to the hospital ships standing by to help?

January 17, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  8. ej in ABQ

Q – too long to tweet, but here's my Q: If US is sending over 7K military, plus thousands from other countries, AND media and families going to Haiti, how can that fragile infrastructure support MORE people? No water for victims, so where are hoards of inbound people getting food and water? I understand miltiary is bringing in water but what about waste disposal, and the additional strain on everything? Haven't heard this discussed. Don, you are one of our favorite anchors there on CNN, but of course, we love Anderson, Sanjay, Wolf and many others. CNN rocks!

January 17, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  9. Sheila, Arizona

About the orphans pending adoption....didn't the Haitian Ambassador to the US say that his office in Washington would expedite the Haitian Passport process for any of the families that could provide copies of their adoption paperwork? I think that it was on Larry King's show (with Wolf Blitzer filling in). Maybe these parents should contact the Haitian Embassy in Washington.

January 17, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  10. D Wallace

Hi Don,

Good reporting I still think you could serve CNN better on location in Haiti, at least they have now sent Soledaid. More African- American journalist need to be sent to Haiti these are people the population can relate to.

Keep up the good work CNN I will be watching, I look at this network so much my family calls me Ms CNN.

January 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Rosalind

My heart goes out to everyone in Haiti. When I saw this new segment I just broke down crying. To see humans suffering like this. Can CNN give an update on the people you show. I am very interested to hear more about that little boy in the news piece that was shivering he had the blue polo shirt and I can't get that image out of my mind and I want to see if he has family. Please I know you get so many emails but I want to see if there is any way you can give us updates on the people that you show us.

January 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  12. Susan

I too am wondering if this woman has found more information on her family. I can not imagine being so far from my children and not being able to help them. I am sure the cell phone her friend has, has lost it's battery life by now. I would really like to see an update on this family.
    Thoughts and prayers to all affected by this tragedy.

January 20, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  13. kat

Have emailed Cassandra L. and hopefully we can get these children of hers reunited and home with mommy. Prayers are welcomed.

January 20, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  14. A.C.

kat and Susan,

glad to hear others have thought about this woman and her story. I have e-mailed all kinds of people at CNN to try to get an update. With such a great need in Haiti i can understand how not all stories can be addressed. I just couldn't help but empathizing with this woman. I think about her children being so young and needing her. I makes me think of my girls and if they needed me, as a mother it would be unbareable. I wanted to e-mail this woman but have had a hard time finding her e-mail again after if was initially shown on CNN to see if she was able to connect with her children again. If you hear an update I would love to hear how the situation is.

I still have a hard time watching the coverage cuz it breaks my heart. I think of the countless others that need help that have not received it. That are waiting and nobody comes. Like the little boy that was pulled from the rubble after 8 days because his uncle heard his cries. His mother died and his father is lost (presumably died in the quake too) His cries of "I'm here" "I'm here" I think of the many who have uttered similar cries alone in the dark.
    They can hear people above, But nobody knows they are there buried. Nobody hears them. Nobody comes. God Save them, please. I pray for them all.

January 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  15. robyncaffrey keyser west virginia 26726

att don

you mentioned that haiti got 60 million from last nights tellathon . is that inclooding the 9,mill lastweek, ( what ever ) i'm so happy and all theese donations are still going . so good to here.

January 24, 2010 at 1:24 am |