Today on CNN Newsroom

The latest news and information from around the world. Also connect with CNN through social media. We want to hear from you.
February 24th, 2010
03:40 PM ET

Reporting sexual abuse

By Elizabeth Cohen & Sabriya Rice

The recent case of a Delaware pediatrician indicted for sexually abusing his patients has many concerned. Experts we spoke to say if you suspect a physician is abusing a child, immediately contact your state medical board, the local police and child protective services.

According to the Children’s Bureau of the Department of Health and Human services, nearly all U.S. states have a list professionals who are required by law to contact the proper authorities if they feel a child is endangered. Click here for a list of those professions, and for a better understanding of the statutes in your state. In certain circumstances you can be fined for NOT reporting an incident. In many states, however, including the state of Delaware where Dr. Earl Bradley practiced, reporters are given immunity from civil and criminal liability if they provide the information in good faith.  

Filed under: Rick Sanchez
soundoff (One Response)
  1. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

    The recent case in Delaware of a pediatrician is simply an example of a situation that it is completely getting out of hand. Here a doctor was indicted for sexually abusing his patients and has many concerned. How can we trust the State Medical Board when they protect doctors? Local police and child protective services do not have the resources to fight corruption. How Social Workers, Teachers and other school personnel, Social Workers, Teachers and other school personnel, Physician and other health-care workers, Mental health professionals, Childcare providers, Medical examiners or coroners can take the cases forward when their careers do not mandate to file a complaint...

    February 25, 2010 at 6:57 am |