Today on CNN Newsroom

March 2nd, 2010
  1. CeCe

There is a racist undertone that is sweeping throughout the country right now. Many minorities are feeling upset about the way that they are being treated. It is in the workplace, in colleges and really in almost every aspect of life right now. Just look at the unemployment rate. Why are so many qualitfied minorities are not being hired right now. Blacks have the highest rate of unemployment, many times Black candidates are more than qualified for the positions they are applying for and just not being hired.

March 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  2. Major Ray

Racial stereotyping will get worse as economic hardships increase in the US. I believe that some frustrated Blacks could intentionally trigger incidences to cover up for being excluded as serious students in tough disciplines. Racial bias and stereotyping have created a sub-culture where some Blacks no longer believe that education is the great neutralizer for social acceptance. In my opinion, the sub-culture is quickly becoming the norm as traditional Black leaders and educators sell out the inner city community. People who told Backs they can earn degrees in physics without a good math background are the same people who told them they did not a good job to buy a home.

March 2, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  3. yvonne miller, new york

I am so very sick of that word, RACISIM !!! as the mother of seven great grown-ups, I feel that racisim starts in the homes of our kids early on. Then it festers by society as time goes on. what we see happening at UCSD is just the reaction to an ongoing, never ending war of humanity!!!! then in the end, everyone wants to point the finger at everyone else. We are all to blame, let me say it again...."WE ARE ALL TO BLAME"

March 2, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  4. Flecia Martin

Why I am not suppressed? Many African-American people discriminate against each other. Some light skin African-Americans feel somewhat superior to darker skin African-American and some darker skin African-American feel that lighter skin people will be hired first and are generally more excepted in American society. Unfortunately, history has taught us this is often true. Hate crimes should not be tolerated from anyone no matter what regardless of their ethnicity or race. We should also acknowledge that an African-American hanging a noose implies self hatred and that to must be addressed by the African-American community.

March 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  5. Barbara Johnson

It is as though you are 'demanding' some sort of action...without debate and arbitration...which is the only way these issues will be solved.

Your words to the effect that the Chancellor isn't helpful...are in direct conflict with problem solving. i'm sure there are many people who aren't helpful right now...including yourself.

I went through the Watts Riots...many, many years ago...so I do know something about conflict, unfair practices and racism...As a result of that and a lifetime of concern...I also know that nothing is accomplished by demands and ultimatums...Perhaps I interpreted what you said on the video incorrectly. If so, I apologize...If not...I hope you can find it within yourself to lead in a more positive way. It looks as though that leadership is needed...immeidately .

Barbara

March 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  6. Barbara Johnson

"Tension is going to continue to build things change. The question is, did electing OBAMA make it better or worse for black Americans?"

CeCe...This is an interesting question...Should having the first African American President...make things better for a specific group? I don't think he thinks so. He is the President of all of us and, in my opinion, no one is better suited.

Did he anger lots of biggoted people who ARE racist and now it reminds them daily of that? Probably. Sadly, there will always be those who are fearful and those are the people who become the fringes and cause the intense problems. The Tea Partiers, the John Birchers, the Sarah Palins, the Rush Limbaughs etc. These people always incite others who can't/don't think for themselves.

Bigotry has always been here...I doubt that it will leave entirely...because there will always be the 'I'm better than you because I am afraid' people. With compassion and understanding people learn to love differences which contribute to a healthy society.
    Hate and anger develop when people are stressed and fearful...We live in a time when the condition of our Country is filled with stress and fear. People elected our President because we knew he was intelligent, compassionate and filled with a desire to continue his life with service to this Country...we didn't elect him because he was black. He just happens to have one parent with African American heritage. He is a brilliant man who truly tries to represent all of the people. What a change from the previous eight years!

Barbara

March 3, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  7. tim

Of course ucsd is not racist. the students are not racist. And of course i think minority's are the majority at ucsd and many uc school so the question is silly. Kyra phillips is a race baiter who grew up by ucsd are you a racist lady?

March 3, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  8. Fred

Hi Kyra,
    I think your interview was a very senstive treatment of a very contentious issue and handled very skilfully and prudently with a due respect and deference for all parties involved. You have tackled this issue in depth in a documentary on CNN fairly recently that was simply riveting & disturbing. But it was necessary, in my view. I'm not sure all viewers fully appreciate this ( though my defense is not needed, to be sure ). All I have to say is : Go girl!

March 3, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  9. miguel

Lets not forget,racism started because people have different cultures and beliefs,the same reason we are at war with islam ,as you say EXTREMISTS,, their are black racists as well as white racists,nobody is exempt from it.welcome to mankinds hell.

March 3, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  10. Angela

As a former student of UCSD, I can understand the racial tension that surrounds UCSD. It has been some time since I have graduated, and it is evident that the same issues of racial tension still remain on campus. It is very apparent on campus that there are few minorities represented in both the faculty as well as the students admitted to the University. Things will not change at this University until the administration changes and creates a more diverse and welcoming environment for all races. It is very unfortunate that these types of incidents must happen in order for the University to address the issues that have been lingering on this campus for a very long time.

March 3, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  11. Anita Casavantes Bradford

I am a Ph.D. student in the U.S. history department at UCSD and a former high school teacher. I have been in attendance at most of the rallies and events over the past two weeks.

Barbara: your comment about David's "failure of leadership" is inaccurate and, as do most judgements made from a distance, only serves to make insecure people feel better about their own positions of privilege. David and the BSU, and their allies–black, white, latina/o, Asian, and of all other ethnicities–have demonstrated enormous respect, initiative, and hard work in putting together a concrete list of constructive demands that will benefit ALL students at UCSD.

Interactions between the chancellor and the student activists have been cordial and constructive, and the chancellor herself has stated she is proud of the way they have conducted themselves. She and the university are relying on their very effective leadership and tangible reccomendations for change to try and deal with a toxic campus climate–which is as much classist as it is racist.

Rallies have been multiracial in nature, respectful of free speech and difference, and an amazing community building experience; students have made connections and friendships with people they would never have spoken to before we realized our shared need to work together to fight for better educational opportunities for everyone.

All these positive things are due, in large part, to the leadership of David and other BSU members and to the respect and determination of their allies. These are students who have been 'raised right' by parents who know what it is to face racial and economic oppression and taught their children to stand up for justice with dignity.

Much love to all working for change at UCSD. They are, thankfully, too busy and too focused to be discouraged by the critiques of people who are at a distance and prefer to hide from reality in abstract discussions (and ill-informed) discussions of free speech, 'race baiting' and 'reverse racism' –all of which simply serve to obscure the real inequalities present on our campus and around the nation.

David, the BSU and their allies, and dedicated faculty supporters are making a difference. What can you do to make things better?

March 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  12. Barbara Johnson

"They are, thankfully, too busy and too focused to be discouraged by the critiques of people who are at a distance and prefer to hide from reality in abstract discussions (and ill-informed) discussions of free speech, ‘race baiting’ and ‘reverse racism’ –all of which simply serve to obscure the real inequalities present on our campus and around the nation."
    March 2nd, 2010 6:48 pm ET

"David...It appears to me that you aren't 'happy' with the Univsersity Administration...and feel they should 'have done/do more'...But you are not willing to involve yourself in a leadership position to meet with that same Administration. How will that solve anything in a positive way?"

Anita...

The basis of my comments is the video tape of David' own comments regarding a specific situation. I think if would be more appropiate for David to respond to me...as I suggested in case I was wrong. Your Ph.D entitles you to speak for yourself in the subjects you know best.
    My own education and backgroud entitles me to express my observations 'from a distance' based on the words I heard regarding the specific communication which was expressed in answer to a question. It is obvious no one can 'know it all' ....However, I am entitled to my 'distance' opinion from years of study and observation of conditions and circumstances in a multicultural society. I am also an educator and an intense humanitarian. I study human behavior and reported what I 'preceived' from the brief discussion.
    I have been doing things all of my adult life (now 74) to make things better. But, of course, 'from a distance'...perhaps you wouldn't understand them.

I have the utmost respect for all human life contribute on a daily basis to issues. Abstract theory, my dear...is what starts the ball rolling!
    The facts develop from discussions like this one.

Barbara

March 4, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  13. Goon

Society today teaches us to be victims and that society around them is to blame. We like to put things in categories and generalize things, because we can understand it better. Many people generally assumed the events at UCSD is caused by white racists, when in fact the Compton-theme party was instituted by an African-American rapper, the noose joke was from a student of "minority-status," and an Armenian UCSD joked on television about the intolerance of the protests and used the n-word.

Yes, there will always be undertones of prejudice or racism today or even 1,000 years from now. If we have opinions, then these things exist–no matter if you liberal or conservative.

African-Americans do make up less than 2% of the student population at UCSD. Asian-Americans make up almost two-thirds of the population there today. Does it mean that the school favors Asians as a race over African-American students? Or is it with cultural, economical and society upbringing that disallows the top students into the school?

I teach economics in a community college, but I only have maybe one or two black students at most out of 150 students. No student is rejected to the college, but I don't have enough black students. It costs $20 per credit and we even have financial aid for these students. So what is the explanation? Is it due to racism? Or other reasons? Or both?

Racism is a scapegoat and we have other bigger issues such as society, poverty or education. Right now, African-Americans dominate with the presidency (Obama), most powerful media woman (Oprah) and star athletes in sports (name any athlete). If we want the best, then we select the best. This issue is way overblown, so let's focus on the real issues.

March 4, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  14. Christina

Until this country no longer has legislators that were alive and growing up in the era of the civil rights movement and were around when racism was acceptable will we really be able to move on from this. It is a crying shame that we even still talk about this anymore.

March 6, 2010 at 3:05 am |