Today on CNN Newsroom

March 3rd, 2010

Good Samaritan Gives up Job

A California woman is giving up her job – so another can keep hers. When layoffs were announced in a city council meeting, Patricia Overy willingly gave up her accounting position to a fellow 60-year-old coworker. A wife and the mother of four children, Overy decided to step down because she “felt she could cope with the loss of a job better than” her coworker, Sharon Singleton. Overy’s husband works for the city of Tracy and she is now looking for a new job – a task she feels will be much easier for her, than for Singleton.

Would you give up your job if it would help someone else?

Fredricka will interview Patricia Overy live on the show tomorrow.

But for today we want to know: Would you give up your job if it would help someone else?

Post your comments here. Fredricka will read some of them on the air in the10am ET hour of Newsroom.

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Kyra Phillips
  1. michael armstrong sr.

This story has a taste of Jay Lenno and Conan but without ll the war .

March 3, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  2. Brenda Jameson

In June of 2008 I was the only person employed in management who was not the sole earner in a family. The company was facing financial difficulty. I resigned my job so that every other person in my office would not have to take pay cuts. I

March 3, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  3. J G

Last Year when the recession really took hold here and business sunk I went from 50 hours a week to 20 so my co workers could keep their hours and be able to feed their kids

March 3, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  4. Kimberly in Atlanta

I know of many companies whose executives and co-workers have taken substantial paycuts (up to 20%) to prevent having to layoff staff. The sacrifice significantly increased the sense of teamwork and mutual respect and appreciation, resulting in higher productivity. That improved the bottom line of these companies and rippled forward to their customers and clients as well. For those who were brave enough and generous enough, the recession has proved to be positive.

March 3, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  5. K.P.

I think in times like these where it's vital to teach our children the benefits of doing onto others as we would want done onto us, this is a great story. Maybe instead of giving up my job I'd suggest a job share, or something similar so that both women can continue to work. Or, if she is capable of making things work on one income, why not give up her job? Maybe if we learn to live on a little less and be a little less materialistic we could do more for other people. This coming from someone who is working hard to find a job, but also living without so that we can keep our home. It's not killing anyone around here to live without the junk!

March 3, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  6. Theron

I got love for my co-workers, but I couldn't do it. It ain't nothing personal it's just that I got a wife and a daughter, I just couldn't step aside, maybe someone else could, but I couldn't. If I was single and didn't have any kids I might take it into consideration, especially if they're up there in age, no offense.

March 3, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  7. Christie Groover

After being unemployed for over a year, I can't say that I would. But I also believe it depends on the situation. I am a 35 yr old woman, going through a divorce, with no children. There is little aid I can receive. However, the woman that gave up her job has 4 children and most likely can get more aid then the 60 yr old woman can. Plus, we don't know all the facts. Did this woman actually need her job or if she had another source of income for her and her children.

Though I may not be affected by the extension of benefits, and am a republican, I feel that Bunning should have had a resolution to the problem before fillabustering the motion to extend the benefits.

March 3, 2010 at 10:22 am |
  8. NIck

Yes! I did it once before. I was than asked back after business picked up...a year later!

March 3, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  9. Valerie Court

My father works for a small but major US paper manufacturer in western Mass., and since all of his children are grown & on our own and the state of our economy, he has voluntarily taken periodic, temporary layoffs from his job so that a younger man with a family could remain working.

March 3, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  10. Will Dudley

I wouldn't give up my job. HOWEVER, I'm almost sixty, and I love my job, it is a large part of my identity. The lady who gave up her job gets my respect. There might be other factors involved here that are under the surface, but from a distance, it is very cool. I think I might have done it when I was forty, but I didn't have kids to support then. I'd like to know how the lady who gave her job up fares. WOW.

March 3, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  11. Brian

yes i would give up my job to help someone be recalled back to work.but unfortunatly i work for the railroad and have 34 yrs there we cant retire till the age of 60.the railroad and railroad retirement system need to step up into the 21ST century and let some of us old guys retire and let the younger employees be recalled and get back to work.

March 3, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  12. Joel

Jobs were hard to find before and IMPOSSIBLE now.
    I was "right-sized" over 2 1/2 years ago. As an executive at the top of the ladder, in a very focused market, you could count the jobs that fit my profile on your right hand.

When applying for jobs lower level, groups will not be meet with me or even consider talking. OVER qualified.

I have taken a min. wage job to keep anything coming in......

Time to change life and start over.......

What happened to the world we lived in? Over 50 now, I thought by now I would be highly successful, money the bank, college funds full. All is gone... what is next, I don't know. House will be on the market soon. Kids have to go to college....

March 3, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  13. Jessica

This story is utterly cool. At the age of 25, I can' t say that I would give up my job. This is probably because I am a full-time student and my parents don't supply any income or financial help for me. You're right. We don't know all the factors and she has more of a chance to get aid than the older woman. Plus her husband is still working so they're completely in hot water. Kudos. Major Kudos.

March 3, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  14. Travis

We are talking about a double income consisting of government jobs. The lady that stepped down wil probably recieve some sort of pension, or will find another government job to finish off time against her pension. Government workers make by far more than that of the average working person. The decision may have interupted a great lifestyle and made the forfieter have to live in just good living conditions. I want to hear more about government pensions, especially in this case. We already know that California is bankrupt partly due to government pensions, on the state level. I want to know what the federal government's pension plans are, how long a senator or congerssman has to serve to recieve a pension, and reform what is not right. Look a president serves for four years, then recieves four hundred thousand for the rest of his/her life. I served in the Marines for four years, risked my life every day I was in Iraq but I recieve no pension for my measley four years. Why should anyone recieve a pension after four years of work? This is America, not Americaristocracy. Wake up everyone, we do not need to pay pensions on people that serve the federal government for less than x amount of years. Look, our forefathers never wanted a seat in congress or the senate to be a lifetime position. If you take the risk to leave your lawfirm, congressmen, then you also take the risk of losing your pension. What this means is if you want a pension, and are willing to be a politician for life, you better be willing to do only what your constitiency demands from you.

March 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  15. Perry Harris

I watch cnn every morning and most of the day. Heide was my morning person that got my day of to a good start. Would you please let me know what has happen to her I miss her? Is she sick ,no one ever says a word about her. Perry Va. Beach Va.

March 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  16. Ken in NC

If I was a young man with no one but myself to take care of, I would give serious consideration to doing it to save the job of an older worker, especially one with kids. It is all but impossible for older workers to find work once we are layed off so if I was a young man I would probably do it.

That woman displayed the values show by people I grew up with back in the 1950's. We need to go back to a lot of those old style values.

March 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  17. txsux

People are doing this every day across the coutry. My husband gave up a position to someone closer to retirement. My brothers company all agreed to fewer hours so no one would lose an income entirely. Sacrifices are being made people. The times are changing. Take lessons from your grandparents and quit making it all about you and make it all about us all.

March 4, 2010 at 1:37 pm |