Today on CNN Newsroom

March 7th, 2010

This Time it's Different

[cnn-photo-caption
image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/07/betty.tenisha.jpg caption="Betty Nguyen and Tenisha Abernathy."]From CNN Weekend Mornings Executive Producer Tenisha Abernathy:

In this business people come and go. In fact, you get used to saying good-bye… it doesn’t even phase me. But saying it this time is a bit different.

Unfortunately, you can’t peek behind the scenes of our weekend morning show. But trust me it is a high-energy hoot! We're yelling about scripts, stories are crashing in edit, and then there's the serious pontification about stories ideas (TJ and I never seem to agree, which makes the dialogue all the more interesting). Nevertheless, we've fostered this family atmosphere making our 3am shift not so bad. We challenge each other, we call each other out, we crack jokes, get mad, yell, scream, make up, buy gifts...yup, probably just like you do in your family.

So this time I guess it's different because I’m losing a family member. While Betty can be tough as nails at times, she's also a gem. She's dedicated to presenting the facts, she's committed to finding the untold stories, and her drive to serve the underprivileged is relentless. I've come to respect her work ethic and also value her as a friend. OK, so maybe that’s why this good-bye is so different. She’s a friend. Very rarely do you stumble across authentic people. Honest people who say what they mean and mean what they say. People who will agree to disagree while their respect for you never changes. People who, when they look you in the eye, you understand their true intentions. Yes, I would say that this good-bye is different.

I am going to miss planning the shows with Betty, planning shoots, and deciding on guests. I'll also miss arguing over stories, and telling her to "WRAP." But more importantly, I'm going to miss all the fun times we've shared together and seeing her on the set with TJ. These two are a joy to work with! You only get to see them a few hours on Saturday and Sunday so you may be wondering, "do they really get along?" I promise you it's not a facade. These two truly respect and care for each other - which makes my job so much easier. Thank you both for playing nice in the sandbox.

I know TJ shares my sentiment when I say our family won't be the same. We all wish Betty the best success in NYC; we know her journalistic integrity and creativity will continue to shine.

Now, its time for Betty's final team breakfast brunch... mimosa's here we come!

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Michael

Betty is the best! Made weekend news easy to watch. Betty and TJ what a team. But life is about change and I wish Betty only the best in her new endeavors.

March 7, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  2. Wojciech Moskal

God bless you.

March 7, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  3. jesse brown

The producer is total correct about Betty, she is smart, funny and most of all a good news person. I'am a senior cittzen, I've watch her for many years. Whatever she does in life, may the lord be with her. Take care Betty. 1SGT Brown, US Army Retired

March 7, 2010 at 9:33 am |
  4. Lillian

Betty u will be well missed !

March 7, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  5. Rob Bender

Betty!!! NOoooooooooooooooooooo! I don't even own tv or cable, but i have watched you on my laptop for years and you are one of my FAVORITE anchors on CNN. I hope to see you reporting again soon. Best wishes in your future indevours.
    -a guy you've never met
    rob bender

March 7, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  6. CK

Wow, of all mornings to miss CNN ... Betty's last show! I didn't even know she was leaving. I am totally depressed. Betty was the one and only reason I tuned in to watch CNN on the weekends. She's smart as hell, has a great personality and is - in my opinion - absolutely gorgeous. She was my favorite anchor on CNN, or any other network. What am I going to do without what I always called my "Betty fix" every weekend?

Betty, don't know if you will see this, but just wanted to let you know you will be missed. Good luck in your next position. -

A loyal fan

March 7, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  7. Marie

Betty,

I'm sad to see the ol' team at CNN breaking up, but relieved to learn I'll still be able to see you on TV, on the "other" network. You are indeed special. I wish you every success in your new position, and that goes, too, for forging new and wonderful friendships.

~Just another CNN viewer

March 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  8. Gary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

WHAT?

I have been loyal to CNN since '95 and I am shocked she's leaving.

There are probably reasons but you would think when you get to the epitomy of news broadcasting leaving would not be an option

March 7, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  9. sean

CNN wont be the same without Betty. She's so dreamy *sighhh*

March 7, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  10. Kooter

Wow CK it is like you were reading my mind. You said just about exactly what I was thinking. I am going to miss you too Betty. I will have to get my Betty Fix Weekdays. Maybe that is better anyway 5 days a week instead of only 2. Yea that is waaaaaaaaaaaay better! All the best! LUV YA!

Quoting CK,
    "'Wow, of all mornings to miss CNN ... Betty's last show! I didn't even know she was leaving. I am totally depressed. Betty was the one and only reason I tuned in to watch CNN on the weekends. She's smart as hell, has a great personality and is – in my opinion – absolutely gorgeous. She was my favorite anchor on CNN, or any other network. What am I going to do without what I always called my "Betty fix" every weekend?

Betty, don't know if you will see this, but just wanted to let you know you will be missed. Good luck in your next position. –

A loyal fan"

March 7, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  11. Lanz

Betty is such a great person and newsreporter, It is time to moving on to another market. We will miss Betty on the weekends.

March 7, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  12. Brian D

Best of luck and Hook 'Em!

March 7, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  13. Kellee Bolden

Betty,what can I say except that you are a wonderful person,very hard working and will be successful for many years to come.There are folks out here that will follow you to whatever network you choose to work.I know this because I'm one of those persons.
    Gods speed and God bless.Please be safe.

Kellee B.

March 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  14. Fanbovy

Very sad that CNN is losing this talent. One of the reasons to watch CNN on the weekends.

March 7, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  15. Jenny

I work the early shift at a hotel and we always have CNN on in the lobby. Through the years my love of Betty and TJ has grown. Betty always surprised me at her dedication and never came across as fake. I'll miss her on CNN weekends but will still tune in once in a while to see how she's doing on CBS. Thank God for journalists like Betty Nguyen!

March 7, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  16. PhilipB

"Tough as nails", and uniquely exhibits great combined presence on-air and on-line. To be continued...

– Yet another seasoned Viewer –

March 7, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
  17. Kellee B.

Betty, what can I say except that you are a very hard working journalist. You will be successful for many years to come. There are folks out here that will follow you to whatever network you choose to work. I know this because I'm one of those persons. Thank you for being down-to-earth and all of your hard work. I hope you have a copy of the Dalai Lama interview.

Best wishes,
    A Big Fan

March 7, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  18. Carl Leduc

Well written, Ms. Abernathy. Having worked at the same place for some time, I've seen my share of turnover. Now and again, a coworker becomes more than 'just a coworker' and the loss at these times is a little more personal. Not intentionally hurtful, but more heartfelt and emotional.
    My experience with Betty is through TV and social networking. Unlike those who saw her daily, I'll be able to follow her to her new post withonly a slight change to my routine. And yet I know that things won't be quite the same. She spoke highly of the team and I realize that a part of what I saw came not only from Betty (whom I have the highest regard for) but from those around her. It's sad to see her go, but I look forward to seeing how you'll mold her successor.
    Continued success to the best weekend morning crew. Hope my tweets haven't earned me a nickname among you! 🙂
    PS: I'll also be following Betty on her new career path (hopefully not to her chagrin).

March 8, 2010 at 7:11 am |
  19. Alex Lotoski

Your commentary about the loss of your friend Betty is well taken. She sounds like a great person as well as a professional giant indeed. Your description of the rest of mankind which surrounds you is not a promising one. Indeed your description of news department family life is not a happy one. I see through your description of this method of news gathering as hap hazard and disorganized. Bungling at best. I am glad you and Betty had a lot of fun. Good friends are hard to find in disorganized chaos.

March 8, 2010 at 7:45 am |
  20. Steve

Betty...a true professional. Going to miss hearing her sweet voice on CNN Weekend mornings.... Fun & Informative. Most memorable moment for me has got to be when they showed how the TV magic worked behind the scenes...and revealed a Betty on the box beside TJ! Gotta love her sense of humor.

Best of luck Betty, from a loyal fan. 🙂

March 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  21. Vlad Penn

My wife and I will miss you. In a world sometimes seeming to fall apart, your presentation of events always made us feel that things are not hopeless and that people can care about each other. Here in Phoenix, AZ, we saw you much later than those on the east coast. We will miss that stable, calm, professional presentation of the news first thing in the morning. Best of luck in all your future pursuits. We know you will be helping someone somewhere.

March 8, 2010 at 7:47 pm |
  22. Lindsay

Quoting Mr. Penn, " I will miss that stable, calm, professional presentation of the news first thing in the morning".

WOW! Its truly hard to imagine CNN Weekend Show without Betty. She & TJ were a phenomenal team. I looked forward to seeing their show. Here on the WEST Coast, meant getting up very early (3am-6am) or using the DVR 2 record the show. Five days a week is better than two, This is true. So, this has to be a good move for Betty. As such, I will miss her & TJ together, I would still want her to achieve the full success that her talents, gifts and abilities will allow her opportunities to fulfill. She deserves the best!

We will miss you Betty... MUCH Success! & ALL the Best!
    Another Loyal Fan

March 9, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  23. allan and emma

we will miss her! God Bless good luck! The Baldwen reporter is smart.
    We will will see you T.J.

March 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm |