Today on CNN Newsroom

March 14th, 2010

Kansas City School Closings

Join TJ Holmes weekend mornings in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. L Ross

Y does NCLB stop high school seniors from graduating in Mississippi. Students who earn enough units 2 graduate are not being allowed to if they fail a state test despite passing the classes. Hundreds won't graduate again this year.I had a student ask me why God would not help him pass his test so he could graduate. I didn't have an answer. Do you???

March 14, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  2. A. Smith, Oregon

These closed schools names should be changed to 'BUSHED' or 'Bush Family Values'.

Some 10% of the entire public school student body here in Oregon are now homeless teens. Across the nation dilapidated public schools are being shuttered because of the public school funding was gutted by the Republican lawmakers in the Bush-Cheney administration to give to the Iraqi war effort.

Thousands of more Public Schools will close before President Obama and the Democratic Administration is going to be able to turn America around after the horrific Bush-Cheney economic train wreck.

March 15, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  3. Karmyn

My blood pressure rises when I hear about the Public School problems. I was a junior in High School when the teacher's unions gained ascendency. The worst teachers were all for the change. Why are the teacher's unwilling to take proficiency tests to see if they're up to snuff ? What are Magnet or Charter schools doing that our Public schools are not ?

March 16, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
  4. Gene Lucas

Closing schools due to lower enrollment is acceptable, especially in these tough times. But mixing primary and secondary students in the same school should be avoided – that's the primary reason for middle schools. The fact that closures may apply to neighborhood schools is unfortunate but may be necessary.

March 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  5. Dave Gee

Tony, this comment relates to the story you did on the Detroit school called Cornerstone. If public schools were given the right to demand that parents be involved in their education such as this school, then we have a whole different culture. Educators cannot continue to work in a vacuum where they are expected to be Mom, Dad, Nurse, Psychologist and Teacher. They need the parents to put emphasis on the education of their child. It is not ok for people to have children and then divorce themselves from responsibility. If we had a situation like cornerstone, we would have something. Public schools are not given the right to tell people to leave if they don't comply with the demands. That is the problem with public education – we as a country do not put teeth to discipline and expectations. Give us that power and we will give you the same results as Cornerstone and those like it. By the way, it is funny that you don't have a story about the many poor performing charter schools.

March 17, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  6. melinda peirce

Government and State(s) need to be accountable on how they are spending the stimulus money they are getting. You can't just dole out money and hope for the best...there needs to be a plan and a budget. Wish I could live my life with people throwing money at me and I didn't have to account for it and if it ran out I could ask for more.

March 20, 2010 at 7:44 am |