Today on CNN Newsroom

March 14th, 2010

Reshaping America's Educational System

Join Josh Levs along with TJ Holmes weekend mornings in the CNN Newsroom,
beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Josh Levs
  1. gercart

small local classes mixed grade levels parent know the teacher make it personal again now it's asembly line no one cares hardly getem thur the door we need that fed. funding and that what it.s about money not the good of the children great educ. can still be had you just have to want it and for a lot of kid thats to much to ask their the ones falling thur the cracks of or society and costing us double in lost production spend now save latter and race it's afactor any more we all expereance racism but it can't hold you back it's humane nature to be drawn to other like yourself that not rascism excluding others because their diffent is so busing was needed but not anymore schools 500 to 1000 student are unmangable even 200 to 300 ideal is 50 to100 students local nieborhood schools maybe they'll learn to spell I never did

March 14, 2010 at 3:08 am |
  2. Christina

Why should schools or states race for stimulus money for education? Education should not depend on stimulus money nor should it have to compete for money. Education should be our top priority in this country. We have all these politicians fighting over what is best for this country, we won't have a country in 100 years of we don't start effectively and meaningfully educating the next generations. The majority of kids now, thanks to NCLB, can't read, write, or multiply...no matter how they try to spin the test results. NCLB has been one of the biggest devastations in this country's education system. OBAMA has to act fast to help States like California, who are in deep fiscal trouble, leave education alone. When my daughter starts high school next year I refuse to let her take her core classes in our local school district because they have fallen into the dumps. She will take, at least, English, Reading, and Math at the Community College and the fluff stuff at high school so she can at least have some sort of high school experience.

March 14, 2010 at 4:25 am |
  3. Christina

I am all for eliminating 12 grade from the high schools. The education system as it is now still functions as it did over 60 years ago...why after this country is one of the most progressive countries in the world. Also, FIX math... Kids should not go Algebra 1 to Geometry to Algebra 2. NO good reason just because that is the order the classes were required at one point or another. It should be Algebra 1, then Algebra 2, then Geometry.

March 14, 2010 at 4:28 am |
  4. karen dorelis

It is about time that someone took proper measures towards educating our children. I am witness to a society of dumb-downed children that will one day be the future generations for our country. Whether the cause is vaccines, food or family life, these children need drastic measures taken before it is too late. Teachers need to go back to school in order to educate properly just as much as the students need proper education. Longer school days with mandatory attendance and parents that back that idea are what is truly needed. What ever happened to American values? Most states are close to a 50 percent drop-out rate. That speaks very loudly and yet so few are listening.

March 14, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  5. Bobbie Rosario

In the early 90's we went through a process called "restructuring" at our inner city school. We had a very fine Science and Math Magnet school. We sent kids to Yale, MIT, Harvard, UC Berekly, etc. Unfortunately, out of the almost 800 kids that came in as 9th graders only 300 and sometime less made it to graduation. After hours of meetings and a lot of emotional energy spent, we went on with business as usual. We were then awarded one of the first Digital High School grants in California: 1 million dollars. That was in the mid 90's. Graduation class still runs about 300. ???? I'm now retired.

March 14, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  6. Scott

I am a student and some students in my high school have "special needs". I have been told that 100% of the students in the school must meet the proficiencies in this No Child Left Behind Act by 2025. How are students with special needs supposed to be proficient? If the school doesn't meet the proficiencies requirement, the government can fire all teachers and administrators even when its not their fault.

March 14, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  7. Ira

About 10 minutes ago the news room presented a comment from a concerned person suggesting that online classes may be the way to go in 21st century because of cost cutting that has been happening in Georgia. I beleive the reasoning for this idea is that education has become too expensive to run and maintain. I think a large cost in education is building operating and maintenance costs. Educators and administrators could never be removed from the process. I would suggest changing the way we operate our public education system. Take it out of the classroom and into the world. It would allow for less expensive centers of education, and exand students minds and abilities. In stead of summer breaks students would rest in winter with the rest of the world. Spring and summer weather could be taken advantage by educating in the outdoors. Smaller structures would be needed to house students and would provide an environment that would encourage mental growth. Teachers would also find new freedoms in the way they educate in all fields. I would like to know what others think about this thought. I beleive the Greeks and Romans took to this philosophy of education.

March 15, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  8. Lee

I have been following the story on education on CNN with great interest. As an educator in an inner city school in Texas, one individual commented that why would districts "chase after stimulus" I do not believe that districts are "chasing after these funds." On average 75% of a districts budget is taken up my teacher/staff salary and benefits. The healthcare insurance increasing will also impact school districts and budgets.
    How has stimulus money impacted students? There is a terrible need for the US to focus on 21st century learning. I am speaking first hand from my experience in my position that funds in my district has been used to purchased technology that students are being utilized by students in their classroom.
    The American people must view education as an investment in our children. If we do not invest in their education and provide them with all the resources necessary to learn they will not be able to competent in the global economy.

March 17, 2010 at 11:09 am |