Today on CNN Newsroom

May 12th, 2010

Genetic Test Kits

Coming soon to a drugstore near you:  genetic test kits that allow you to evaluate the odds of developing a chronic disease.  Starting this Friday, Walgreen Co. will start selling the kits for $20 to $30.  Customers can then pay more for Pathway Genomics to run the tests – ranging all the way up to $249.  The company said the test can determine health risks for genetic conditions such as obesity, diabetes, breast cancer and Alzheimer’s.  State and federal public health officials, however, have urged caution saying people could misuse or misunderstand the results of a test.

Our question:  Would you want to know if you have a predisposition for a chronic disease?

UPDATE: Walgreens said it would postpone selling the test after the FDA raised concerns with the kits' manufacturer.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Daniel

Wow, someone sees a huge financial gain in taking advantage of hypochondriacs. It'll work. Thank you capitolism.

May 12, 2010 at 2:01 pm |
  2. cyril ayanbadejo

Why do I need to worry myself to death...its only a possibility doesn't say its bound to happen.

May 12, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  3. Jeryl

Well, if there's any possibility of misunderstanding or misusing such a kit, there are enough dimbulbs out there to make it happen. I do like the idea of making such technology available, but diagnosing the results should be left up to professionals.

May 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  4. dottie kotansky

I have had this testing done for breast cancer and cevical cancer. I tested negitive for the gene but I am thankful I choose to have it done. Most insurance won't pay for the testing. I feel a cheaper choice is terrific.

May 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
  5. dave

Not with my money. I need only look at the last several generations of my family and can tell you what manifests itself in my gene pool.

May 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  6. John Tyler Erie, Pa

I think the idea is a good one if the accuracy rate is reliable. I would hate to take the test and be misdiagnosed. The test could show that I have a risk for a terminal disease and worry myself to death. It could also say there is nothing wrong and I may go to the doctor less and not get diagnosed with something serious while the disease is in the stages that could save my life. This needs more study and should be used with caution. Even home pregnancy tests can give a false reading if done in the wrong time frame.

May 13, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  7. john doe

See, here we go again!!! Making money off of future misery!!! You people have got to stop this!!! People need to live before they die!!! Making them worry 20 to 30 years in advance!!! "SHAMEFUL", USA is the way!!!

May 15, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  8. Matthew Sutton

I'm not sure if I really understand some of your problems. If this test kit has a good percentage of working and if can tip off people to go and get some heavy duty testing for a problem in advance of it becoming serious, shouldn't this be a good thing? I don't know what you may think, but if a test could tell me i have a high risk of cancer and it is right, and I went and had it tested and i didn't have it. I know i would look up any way I could to improve my chances of not getting that type of cancer. It most likely will make people worry, but surely if it can help save lives it should be done? I would much rather worry a lot about a disease the test might show me then know to late and suffer or even die by a unforeseen problem. Ignorance may be bliss, but a week or two of stress is well worth years of living a warning could give.

May 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm |