Today on CNN Newsroom

May 20th, 2010

The Lies We Tell

Who lies the most, men or women? A British study found men win that particular battle of the sexes. The Science Museum of London found men tell an average of three lies a day but women are the better liars.

The most common lie for men, denying they had too much to drink.
For women, “Nothing’s wrong, I’m fine.” Check out CNN.com for the top 10 lies told by both sexes.

We also want to hear from you. What are some of your favorites?
Ones you’ve told or heard.

Leave us a comment. We’ll share some of them on air in the CNN Newsroom, 11am— 1pm ET.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Tony Harris
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Woman not only lie the most but they indeed do it badly .

May 20, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  2. Corey

Men tell the most lies....woman tell the biggest lies!!!

May 20, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  3. Tim in Minnesota

For men:
    No, you don't look fat in that dress.

For women:
    That would be fine if you went out with the boys.

May 20, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  4. Maria S. Buenrostro

I usually lie about spending, since I do enjoy shopping. So I have to say my favorite is telling my wonderful husband, I didn't spend any money at all, 'my mom gave it to me!' – I think he's caught on.

May 20, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  5. Gary Odey

Number one lie for a woman is
    'It's your baby!" 😉

May 20, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  6. caerus

'i cant answer my phone at work'. heard it alot.

May 20, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  7. Pamalla

Hubby lied to police to one up me in an argument.....I was held a faciliy for a (72 hr. old) I'm 55 yr old white depressed woman with a great education and now I too am looked at differently!
    All my love and understanding to depressed folks.

May 20, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  8. Barbara Strzemp

I am such a fan of Tony Harris! It's so refreshing to have a seemingly down-to-earth commentator similing at me every morning. Keep up the excellent work. Barbara Strzemp

May 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  9. Guy Nohrenberg

Women are BETTER liars. We Men are clumsy bad liars.

May 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  10. LIZ CARTER in Georgia

Men lie WAAAAY more than women and their NO 1 lie is the denial of INDIDELITY. The funny thing about it is, they get caught in them most of the time, because they are BAD liars; STUPID! I agree with @Corey; women do tell the BIGGEST lies. Maybe it's because they have BIGGER issues they feel they have to lie about. I agree with @Maria S. Buenrostro! Womens' NO 1 lie IS usually about MONEY and overspending. However, they tend to get away with their NO 1, a little longer than men get away with their NO 1 LIE!

May 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  11. Carl

"Dr. I can't believe I gained more weight because I haven't cheated at all on my diet".

"Dr. I just can't be pregnant because I haven't had sex in years".

"Dr. I would never lie to you".

May 20, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  12. Smith in Oregon

Rand Paul's primary victory in Kentucky means there are still a sizable number of American citizens in Kentucky that wish they were living in the land of Cotton and miss the Dixie Flag flying overhead.

In a all white men's golfing country club, Rand Paul repeatedly when asked by a reporter refused to denounce a private business's right to ban Women, Minority's and Gays on their premises.

May 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  13. Michael in Phoenix

Equal rights. They are a lie. Women are more equal then men.

May 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  14. MR.AL

What we lie about everything we can get away with!!! But what about Corperte America? That includes BANKS, INSURENCE COMPANIES , WALL STREET and CREDIT CARD COMPANIES. From Goldman Sachs, B.P, Halliburton and transocean!! DO YOU BELIEVE THEM? I don't. In the last 30 years there has been a moral decline in America, fron no prayer in schools to burning the flag. But in 2000 to 2008 The Bush Administration from election 2000, election 2008 and the begining of 2009 when Bush left office and stated he was afraid of the recession!!! And the greed and no morals goes on and on and on. Solution NONE SO FAR!!!!

May 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  15. maze1gerald

Women aren't good liars, men have a tendency to look over it.

May 20, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  16. maze1gerald

If you want to catch a liar just be quiet they will almost always catch themselves in a lie.

May 20, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  17. Smith in Oregon

For nearly 100 YEARS, America has known that internal combustion engines are very inefficient. Even with today's dual turbo-chargers and computerized supercharged internal combustion engines the efficiency of converting the fuel's energy to horsepower at the wheels is less than 15% (over 65% of the fuel's energy is LOST in the conversion).

VS

Electrical motors are very efficient. Electrical motors average 90% efficiency in electrical power IN to usable horsepower at the wheels of an pure electrical automobile.

Republican lawmakers have known about the much greater energy efficiency by electrical motors for many decades HOWEVER they have remained major obstructionists in the needed upgrades to America's Electrical Power-grid (to 3rd. generation technology and distribution corridors) which is critically needed to fully implement mass conversion to purely powered electrical vehicles for America's mass transportation.

I have no doubt this heavily underscores the long lasting nefarious relationship the Republican Party has with Big Oil and their Big on burning fossil fuels mantras.

American's future and way of life is being threatened by the Republican Party's cozy relationship with Big Oil.

When does America demand that prosperity for American's living on Main Street, USA comes before the Republican lawmakers hand-outs to Big Oil?

May 21, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  18. Smith in Oregon

The utterly horrific Republican Bush-Cheney administration created the gigantic Department of Homeland Security agency which cost taxpayers as much as 1 TRILLION DOLLARS under the guise that new Department was absolutely needed to create a huge security bureaucracy to connect Local, State, FBI, NSA and CIA agency's together in information sharing.

And by further fanning the flames of FEAR the Republican lawmakers forced the creation of that gigantic new department down the throats of the Democratic lawmakers and the American public who were forced to pay the tab.

TEN YEARS later, America is slowly waking up to the realization that 1 TRILLION taxpayer dollars diverted by the Bush-Cheney administration did not even solve the fundamental problem of Security agency's informational sharing. The director of national intelligence was recently found to be entirely out of the loop of security information sharing and left holding the bag of Bush jr's morass and ineptitude.

Rush Limbaugh early on gave the marching orders to the Republican Lawmakers in his 'I want President Obama to fail' speech. And it fully appears Republican Lawmakers are goose stepping in that direction, regardless of the risks and losses by the American people living on Main Street, USA.

In essence, the Republican party lawmakers are short trading America. Betting against America's success in a effort to reap a profit from across the board failures. Ironically, more and more American's are realizing that at the worst economic period in recent history here in America, the Obstruction, Legislative blocks and Filibusters by the Republican lawmakers are designed to cause America to fail, not succeed and certainly not to prosper.

It is time for American's to openly question if US security agency's and their management still have loyalty to Dick Cheney and are deliberately looking the other way rather than doing what they are expected to do even in the lowest fundamental level of their job positions.

May 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  19. Argba Johansen

These determinations are obviously based off an opinion poll for how else could this be determined without a special truth serum?

May 23, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  20. joe collina

AN OPEN LETTER TO SARAH PALIN

Dear Mrs. Palin:

I saw your pretty face on TV yesterday. You were asking Mr. Obama to take over the BP oil spill clean up efforts. You accused him of doing too little too late.

Mrs. Palin, please harmonize these comments with two of your prior statements.

First statement: “The federal government needs to get out of our lives. We need to privatize more and delegate less to the federal government.”

Second statement: “We need to leave the private oil companies alone. They know how to find the oil our country needs. Drill baby drill.”

Sincerely,
    Joe Collina
    A Citizen of the “Lower 48”

May 24, 2010 at 6:20 am |
  21. Paul Tuck

What are all of the other major oil companies that have Billions of our dollars and all of their resourses doing to help resolve this and why are they so silent?

Where are they in this crisis?

Where is the press and government attention to them?

May 25, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  22. Charles Hicks

I just cannot believe that our government and the E.P.A. were letting oil companies drill deep water without reguring them to drill two wells at the same time about three miles apart into the same pool of oil. I am just a dumb ole' country boy and I know better than this. One well would serve aa a backup well and if a blowout happened the remaining well could keep the pressure in the pool a great deal lower. This would almost stop oil leaking into the waters of the gulf.

Tell the oil companies to contact me I have ideas for a deepwater containment drilling bell that would chatch any blowout if it happened anytime.

May 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm |