Today on CNN Newsroom

May 23rd, 2010

Kelly Preston's Later-life Pregnancy: How Old Is Too Old to be Expecting?

John Travolta and his wife are hearing lots of congratulations and some criticism recently.  That's because actress Kelly Preston is pregnant at the age of 47.  It generates the debate - just how old is too old to have a baby.  Don Lemon spoke with two moms who gave birth after the age of 40 for their perspective.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. Barbara Johnson

Why would this be anyone's business? I don't care who has babies...I just wish them luck and hope they are healthy!!

Barbara

May 23, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Christina

Rember 40 is the new 30. I was 40 and had twins without planning. Too old is when you don't feel like you can do it anymore. She deserves to have as many babies as she feels comfortable having. Go Kelly!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:38 am |
  3. Butch Jordan

Later life pregnancy does offer many hazzards that should be watched and addressed to make sure that it is a safe pregnancy however, they are successful with a good doc and careful monitoring.

The choice is theirs and I couldn't think of a better couple to share their love with another baby. I lived near them in Ocala Florida, and I can tell you that the entire community wants only the best for John and Kelly. They are loved in Ocala by just about everyone.

America tends to poke it's nose into the lives of celebrities. We want to watch them and be apart of their lives in some way. In this case, I sincerely wish them the best. Life is good and God has blessed you once again.

May 24, 2010 at 7:36 am |
  4. Michael Armstrong Sr.

To old is when the parent looks like the cript keeper and scars the baby .

May 24, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  5. Liz Carty

My obstetrician encourages me to finish having children by age 40 because research has shown an increase health risk for women in their 40s. The only place age has in this discussion is the possible health risks but if everything checks out o.k., who are we to question the age a woman decides to have children?

May 24, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  6. Brenda

I am a mother of a 21yr. old a 4yr. old and also have a 8month old baby who was born when I was 42-of course there are different things to consider when you are in your 40's but I think I have the best of both worlds and so do my children, I've experienced being a working mom in my 20's and now I'm a very involved stay at home mom in my 40's and I don't think my kids suffer in any way because of my age!

May 24, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  7. Mike

Has anyone thought of using a device much like they use for angioplasty. Run a collapsed heavy duty balloon into the pipe and inflate it to block the flow while they backfill with concrete .

May 24, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  8. seriously

Did I miss somewhere the Travoltas are asking for anyone's opinion, moral or financial support???? Why is age an issue when two parents are able to support a child emotionally, financially and physically? Shouldn't we be more concerned about parents who have multiple crack addicted babies or leave them to die in trash cans or leave them in the care of known pedofiles,or insert abusive behavior here?

May 24, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  9. NB

Kelly Preston and John Travolta must be happy to be having a baby. Why would Preston's pregnancy spark a debate? Who is sparking the debate? Is it the employee at CNN who felt the need create a blog about this item of news? Good for you to have earned a few dollars. After this you move on to a different topic, perhaps you didn't even care about Preston's pregnancy in the first place. Do you feel good about yourself to have gossiped about someone else's private life? If you don't, that's your problem. If you do, I don't care!

May 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm |
  10. Gregg

This is a family decision and should not involve any one else. I see a double standard in this debate. A woman of any age is legally allowed to conceive and then abort a pregnancy. Why is this even a debate about whether a woman is too old to have a child? If a 20-year-old is allowed to get pregnant and have an abortion, terminating the life of an unborn child, why can't a 47-year-old woman choose to have a baby? I wish them all of the best.

May 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Elegresse

What a bunch of decisive rhetoric. 47 too old to have a baby? And why use Kelly Preston for the subject.

Get a life lady.

May 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  12. D.S.

Barbara's right. Why on God's green earth is this any of our business?

This is a manufactured story designed to once again put us in the position of judging others. If it catches on, the media has a hot story on their hands. Conversely, if we call the media on it they throw up their hands any say "hey, don't shoot the messenger!"

Sick, sick, sick.

May 24, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  13. Teresa

Why does anyone feel it is their busy what John Travolta and Kelly Preston do. If they wish to have another child so be it. Back off and let them live in peace. Their decision has absolutely nothing to do with the MSM or for that matter anyone but themselves. Back off and go report on the stupidity of todays administration. Now that's something we can differently appreciate.

As long as Kelly Preston receives prompt and proper medical care and God looking over them all will be well. Yes increased risked in older women but also increase risk with younger mother's too.

Apparently both are happy with this development and everyone just needs to back off and leave them alone. Just because it has been a year since the death of their son does not make it any easier to tolerant and live with daily. Unless you have loss a child you have no idea the pain and sorrow that parents survive daily and for the rest of their lives will feel his lost. I wish to add that those who have commented they are trying to replace Jett are full of excrement. Nothing or anyone who ever replace the child that they lost.

Lay off and find something else to pay attention to.

May 25, 2010 at 2:29 am |
  14. karen sheets

It is absolutely no ones business but the two people involved. They had a great loss last year. Leave them alone and let them be happy. Who are any of us to judge?

May 25, 2010 at 6:23 am |
  15. Verna Hutchinson

I was very disturbed by your choice to focus on Kelley Preston's pregnancy. First, this lady recently lost her son and you speak as though the universe should begrudge her another opportunity. Of course, no one can replace the child that died, but the pregnancy event certainly redirects her thoughts towards the future and not just the tragic past.

You know good and well that the average age of menopause is 51-55 years of age. 47 is just that, 47, perimenopausal, but not menopausal. If Preston takes care of her health, she will be like other zoomers: 70 is the new 50. She will do fine at her child's college graduation at 68!

And, seaking of men, let's talk about the increased risk of schizophrenia in children fathered by men in late age!

In reviewing the literature with a friend of mine who became pregnant at 48, we learned that in Europe it is not at all uncommon for women to continue bearing children until they are biologically unable to do so.

Please apologize to Kelley Preston. CNN is the finest news agency in the world. You are above seeking sensationalism at the expense of someone who has recently lost a child to accidental death. Please.

May 25, 2010 at 6:29 am |