Today on CNN Newsroom

May 26th, 2010

Facebook Flight

New privacy settings for Facebook today. They come after a slew of complaints over confusing policies...and even technical glitches that exposed people’s private conversations.
Read the full story here.

We want to hear from you – are you forever loyal to Facebook? Thinking about leaving? Or have you already fled?
Post your comments here. Kyra will read some of them during the 10am ET hour of Newsroom.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Kyra Phillips
  1. Jordan Reagan

I deleted my Facebook last week, but it had nothing to do with privacy settings. I never had a problem with privacy during the five years that I had an account.
    I'm pretty sure what's happening is they're having to dumb it down for the recent surge of old people joining the site. They're all still pretty freaked out by the Internet, and don't really know how to use it. But at least they're having fun.

May 26, 2010 at 7:45 am |
  2. Butch Jordan

Facebook or any other site where you leave ANY personal information is exploitable by bad guys. They place secure stops in place for security, and to keep your information private but, any attempt to secure public information on a site like facebook is frankly like trying to keep water in a cup full of holes. It leaks.

We don't live in the fifties anymore. Beaver Cleaver has been replaced by a Tiger...

May 26, 2010 at 7:47 am |
  3. Romeo Navidad

I am comfortable with the privacy setting available in Facebook right now. However, as a freelance writer, I don't have that much freedom to put together my opinionated piece in a single posting. If there is an alternative fan page similar to Facebook that journalists could have more space, I'll bid goodbye to Facebook.

May 26, 2010 at 7:52 am |
  4. CB

If you sign up for sites like Facebook and voluntarily put your information up, you're opening yourself up for this. If you want to maintain your privacy, don't go on sites like Facebook which are all about openness.

May 26, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  5. Ryan Jefferson

I think that is you want to be on a(n) online social networking site then you also want people to look at your stuff...i mean after all thats what it's for in the begining right? I myself will be on Facebook for years to come and enjoy the CNN discussion board as well.

May 26, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  6. Joe Woods

I deleted my account after learning more about the company that oversees Facebook. They have a long history of questionable ethics. I have learned that coorperations like Facebook are not to be trusted.

May 26, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  7. Juli

It is "over and out" for me. I refuse to be exploited, period. I am waiting for the BIG day to exit. I want to be part of the impact!!! They deserve far more than a few thousand/million tongue lashings!! Where o where is the integrity in this world anymore??? Another lost American value...shame on you Facebook!!!

May 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  8. Koron

I think facebook does a fairly decent job at security. I personally don't use any of the third party apps on facebook AT ALL. No games, no pillows, no outside videos that open in new windows, no pictures or videos that I know I wasn't a part of that someone try to tell me "they caught me on camera". Just the regular fb stuff is all I mess with. No problems for me in five years.

May 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  9. Norwood

A couple of weeks back when I went to my Facebook page and was informed of my friends were reading in The Washington Post I was shocked. I don't necessarily want to know the daily reading habits of my friends nor do I care to share mine. Facebook was incredibly incensitive to my privacy. This personal information mining has since ceased, but I'm left conflicted and ambivalent over whether to continue as a Facebook member. The ride was good while it lasted.

May 26, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  10. mark

joined facebook when everyone else did and then quit after i realized how much it demanded my attention pulling me away from my real relationships. I think the social networking revolution is really the social deconstruction revolution dovetailing with the decentralization of family and centered firmly in the capitalist dogma of self where you can create your own idealized version of yourself without the pesky reality of your own faults and those of your friends....the very things that make us human. I'm a professor and it's amazing to see students (during class) facebooking while sitting next to people they could really network with if they had the guts.

May 26, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  11. Jonathan Stinson

I am not really worried at the moment but sometimes I consider deleting my account due to the fact that Mark Zuckerberg could one day decide to sell the company to anyone with the right amount of $$$.......and that alone is scary.

May 26, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  12. Max

I seriously can not comprehend the outrage and expressions of surprise. Why would anyone expect privacy on a public domain? Furthermore, Facebook is in business to make a profit, right? If it is not being paid to keep your information private then it means that they are being paid to make it public right? It’s not brain surgery but a common sense process of deduction. While I admit to being computer savvy and block unwanted elements as I deemed fit, I still only put my name only on Facebook, not even my gender or my age. See, I figured that Facebook was not a philanthropic organization and must me manipulating consumer’s information to make a profit. My surprise and outrage is that so many people are surprised by this.

May 26, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  13. AGHUNT

I just permanently deleted my facebook account and found they would not let me delete my old account under my old email address that I do not have access to now. Zuckerberg is a PUNK!

May 26, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  14. Laure Coman

It a public site, it's easy to keep your information safe... don't put it up on your page. If there are things you don't want people seeing then don't put it up. It's a good habit to check your settings frequently anyways, even without glitches in the site. The fact is people are putting up too much information, its simple common sense to fix the problem, it starts with the person first and the information they put up.

May 26, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  15. AGHUNT

If anyone has changed ISPs your old deactivated account is still active on FACKEBOOK. They ought to be sued! Zuckerberg for one!

May 26, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  16. Phil Welch

Seems to me that BP should pay the going rate per barrel for every barrel brought to their tanker(s) located around the Gulf; or possibly their oil rigs – and maybe even competitor oil rigs. That is, let anyone and everyone recover the oil floating on the ocean surface and base their income on the number of barrels recovered.

May 26, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  17. Winston Layman

If something better comes along, I'm gone. All the information I put on Facebook is bogus anyway, so I'm not to worried about being hacked into. My real-life friends can read between the lines. I would NEVER put my real name, my real address, or my real phone number on a "social networking" site with ethics as questionable as FB. It's fun, it's a way to keep in touch, it's a way to keep in touch with old friends. But PRIVACY?? Put down the crack pipe.

May 26, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  18. Brandy

Attn: Aghunt, if you can remember your password to your facebook account with the old email address, you can add another email address to the account, set it as your main, then delete the one you can't access anymore. Then using your new email you should be able to deactivate the account easily!

May 26, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  19. Ron

I pay close attention to my privacy settings and thanks to facebook "glitches" I have to reset them regularly. Ultimately its my responsibility to control who sees what . I also don't post anything on FB or any social networking site that I wouldn't want to see on the nightly news or the front page of the morning paper. I'm not leaving . I like Facebook . I'll keep a close eye on them though

May 26, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  20. James L Myers

Privacy issues aside, I dumped Facebook because it is simply a waste of time, and often a source of aggravation. The British have a word for it: PRATTLE. Go outside & enjoy the day instead.

May 26, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  21. sue

Facebook-Privacy? Hey, you get what you pay for!!

May 26, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  22. Captain Von

Why cant they weld it shut

May 26, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  23. Michael in Phoenix

Like every other social network it is blocked at work.
    Never used it.
    I do not plan on using it.
    I do not live my life caring what others think.

May 26, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  24. Fisch von Gestern

I have already stripped my account of info, all the way down to the bare bones. But how do I know what FB retains of what was previously there and with whom they have already shared it? We need to have a full accountng of what they are holding and what they have disseminated, as well as a way to purge all the info. (Not that they would tell us the truth...!)

May 26, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  25. Rita Keays

While I believe that technology and the advancement of it have
    open the doors to world wide communications (it beats the Morris Code thats for sure) My opinions regarding Facebook remain negative.

While social networks can keep you in touch with the world at large
    and with siblings and family members the information displayed
    on Facebook let alone the photos that are posted are utterly
    dangerous. There are so many pedifiles, deviates and psychopaths
    that scower social networks like Facebook and MySpace that it is
    making it very easy for lowley preditors to hunt and score with ease.
    Everyone wants regonition and some will go to all lengths to get it
    even on Facebook which has become such a great medium to display everything you have in life whether it be your dog, cat, body, car
    penis or breasts and to the delight of these deralits that persue this
    type of information and can easily get it – It is a glorious site to display
    your attributes. I caution all young women and men, young adults
    with young children to be discret in the information you provide on
    Facebook because Mr Goodbar ain't too far away.
    While we as humans are meant to be free in life, some things should remain private.

The Paperdragon

May 26, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  26. John Tyler Erie, Pa

This is an integrity. If you want people to participate you have to base it on the lowest common denominator. As an example many elderly people that have never really been exposed to computers want to get involved. Facebook and other social networks sites provide them with a chance to keep in touch with family and friends using this technology. They found out that you can have fun posting and reading comments of friends and relatives that they aren't normally in touch with on a daily basis. They shouldn't be exploited and live with the fear that there is a boogie man in their computer. They should be encouraged to embrace this technology to provide another means of enjoyment instead of watching the afternoon Soaps.

May 27, 2010 at 8:10 am |
  27. Leona E. Sawka

Are you kidding? The State would rather have the kids standing on a street corner selling/buying drugs??????? This is a family pizza parlor. Why shouldn't the kids learn the trade and help their parents. I think it's wonderful that the parents care so much for their kids and work together, and they're not collecting welfare. Isn't that wonderful?

May 27, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  28. Joseph

This is part of the problem with this country, Kids have no work ethic, I understand the importance of Child labor laws but when working in a small family business like this concessions should be made.

May 27, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  29. Bill B

Why doesn't CNN post the email addresses of the politicians who are responsible for this ridiculous assault on common sense and family values?
    Commenting to CNN doesn't solve the problem it just riles people more, whereas swamping the inbox of politicians may at least get the message across to those who can change the law. I suppose the downside of this idea is that they would have to learn to read first.

May 27, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  30. erick

When I joined facebook it was new it was for the younger generation and now ur job or companies that u applied for can look at ur profile and to see if ur employable or not to me that's so wrong but I think they should keep facebook going and that but worst is that there people on there that u don't know u know they should have u put some kinda of data to tell u that u can enter like ur drivers license number or social security number but its private though only facebook employees see it u know and that way the do a background check so they can let u get one or not that's my opinion on this whole thing

May 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
  31. Lisa

I have a very unusual name – and believe me – I am the only one in the world with my exact name. I recently discovered that someone is using my name for a facebook account, but my friends and I have been unable to find how to contact facebook to get this removed. Does anyone have contact info for facebook management?

June 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm |