Today on CNN Newsroom

July 16th, 2010

For the Love of Money

Marriage and money: a combination that often causes problems.  But in this economy, some couples are delaying divorce or even choosing to stay together during tough times.  According to the National Marriage Project, a group that studies marriage trends in the U.S.,  divorce rates fall in recessions.  Just why is money problematic in marriage and so devastating in divorce?  We'll examine the issue with financial planner Karen Lee this Saturday at 2pm ET.  We'll have tips on things to think about before you get married, while you're married and if you're getting a divorce.

Plus post your questions and we'll read them on the air!

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. gloria lewis

I totally understand the ladys fustration with the government and needing help .Maybe cnn can do an indepth look at how difficult it is to be heard as a poor person .All of the politicians are hypocrite they only respond to people with money .I have been trying for 6 years to get a response to the over 25 members of government in over 6 years still waiting on a response .I got one response from congressman meekes he said he fowarded my letter to alec hastings .Its been over a year no response .The mere site of these politicians make me sick .Its no wonder this country is such a mess no one cares about the poor we have no voice .
    I am from the islands i have not lived there for over 23 years ,i went home i went to the constuient office in my family neighbour to see the rep .Do you know that everone gets their time with the rep if you need a job ,you need help to pay your bills ,you need a place to live .You go there sign in and make you claim ,you keep going back until your mission is accompolish ,i am not saying they help everyone but at least they try because if they dont ,they can rest assured they will not get that vote .Cnn time to step up and help the poor people we pay for cable also .

July 16, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  2. Ralph

I'd probably be better off if I got a divorce. Then I would qualify for health coverage.

July 16, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  3. Chris Leonard

Guy's, the Iphone problem is nothing new. I got curious about all the hype so I decided to place my hand over the same spot on my Iphone 3gs and monitor the signal. Well guess what happens, the signal goes from full strength to almost none. I very rarely have any problems with loosing calls and think this is more of a ploy by Apple's competition to blemish their reputation and hinder sales. Almost every person I have spoken to that has the Iphone4 says it works great!

July 16, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  4. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Who ever said that money cant buy you love is ignorant .

July 16, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  5. Leann

The issue with the iPhone 4 has not been addressed by Apple because it seems to be a network issue which has plagued AT&T. Their network can't support all of the app's as well as regular calls. I've had Verizon for 15 years and have rarely dropped a call and additionally my husband has the Android, also on Verizon's network, and he never has an issue with accessing his apps or having dropped calls.

July 17, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  6. Eve

Hi, I loved your program today on CNN. I live in Texas and am recently married. We decided not to do a prenup – our assets are about the same. (we both own a house each). My husbands father required a prenup for my husbands ex fiance. The girl split. I don't really like and trust his dad. I am trying to protect myself now that we are married as much as possible.
    I heard that in Texas that after you marry, if you inherit a substantial amount of $ from your parents, the $ is not community property. Must my father put the items in his will into a trust fund...or will a will suffice?
    One of my friends put her inheritance into the husband/wife joint acct and she said she should have kept it separate. Advice for Texas?

July 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  7. Kathleen

Hi, Does anyone comment about jobs that don't pan out? I was told on two occasions that a face-to-face interview was required and that I was hired only to show up and discover that "we are still deciding." The last was a trip I made from Phoenix to Harriet Fulbright College in Arlington, VA. The initial interview was with an native English speaker and then a Russian accented speaker who left a voice mail message that I was chosen to be hired but with whom I had to have that face to face only to discover that I had no job after all. The first was an interview in Tallahassee so I have spent a great deal of money on maybe jobs. Has anyone else sent in their similar experience? Thanks, Kathleen

July 17, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  8. Otis

The next time Fredricka talks about the drilling situation in the Gulf, maybe she could point out that plenty of workers are needed in the production of Alternative Energies.

So, maybe some of those out of work drillers could go make wind turbines or solar collectors or even go drill for Geothermal Energy. That is probably the greatest source of Energy on Earth, but no one talks about it......just why isn't there more coverage of Geothermal Energy.

They probably wouldn't have to drill as deep for it and it sure wouldn't hurt the environment like the oil is doing.......!!

July 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  9. Wayne Nelson

Do you not remember when George Bush was president the Joker posters? Do you recall the movie about the assassination of Prsidnt Bush? How about the Tea Party member who had his finger bitten off by a black liberal? How about the burning effigy of Bush? Selective amnesia I guess. The racism in the comments of the new black panther party, Rev. Wright, Van Jones. and the NAACP all seem to get a pass from you. Racism is alive and well in the people that support the president. See you in Washington on August 28th.

July 18, 2010 at 1:30 pm |
  10. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Dont kid yourself money can buy you anything including love .

July 19, 2010 at 8:18 am |