Today on CNN Newsroom

July 19th, 2010

Tea Party Hot with Conflict: Member Ousted Over Offensive Blog

The Tea Party Federation ousted a major player in its movement, Mark Williams. The expulsion is because Williams, a Tea Party Express member, posted a "satirical" letter filled with racial slurs. Don Lemon explains the full story and interviews a Federation Leader, David Webb. CNN also spoke with NAACP President Benjamin Jealous for his reaction.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. AlexLo

The Tea Party is finally catching up to itself. The Tea Party members from my town, for the most part, don't really understand the Constitution, what they stand for and deny the fact that this so called Federation is in itself racist. It is the nature of this beast as it acts very much like the early Nazi inception. The very thing several of its members accuse our very own President of. Our President was elected under our Constitution. Several of our Local and National Tea Party leaders were not elected by any legal body where a number of them are backed by a shadow conservative wing of the Republican Party.

July 19, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  2. Tina Ferrer

It really doesn’t matter. The Tea Party has hijacked the political discussion and holds both parties in a political headlock. Neither party has any clue whatsoever how to regain or wrest control of this discussion by way of this large and growing phenomenon and its esoteric origins.

Most centrists who did vote for Obama as I did now believe the Tea Party speaks for them regardless of far left emotive defenses. By way of the MSM attempting to pigeonhole, aggravate and insult this voting block in futile attempts to contain them, all I see is this group getting bigger and bigger by every passing hour. The 30% minority that thinks they are a majority still don’t get that it was independents like me that made Obama possible. Go figure.......

July 19, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  3. John Tyler Erie, Pa

The Tea Party is trying to scare the black voters for their own gain. The Tea Party in my opinion is a racist organization that will return us back to the time of the pre-civil rights bill.

July 20, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  4. grrace

The "teaparty" is listed by experts (Southern Law Poverty Center) as a hate group.

I don't know anyone who views them as a legitimate party.

July 20, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  5. joyce harvell

I do not expect this to be commented on,but why is the pee party so pissed. They have insulted our President far to long.They have been given to much medis attention. I doubt if a black racist group said all that about a white President,the group would be arrested on the spot. But this is a country based on free speach,right?

July 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
  6. wsf

Watched Don's interview with Mr. Webb, I have to compliment Don on his restraint and professionalism, How did he keep from asking Webb "Dude, grow a pair, where is your pride?" If I, as an almost 70 year old white woman felt that way, I can only imagine how Mr. Lemon felt.

July 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  7. Mikey

The Tea Baggers are nothing but a vocal group promoted by Fox News to promote the Republican Agenda.I.E. No regulations for the finacial market,oil companys, and mines.
    DID I MENTION that the deficit is bad but TAX CUTS for the top 2% is good.
    Give me a break.