Today on CNN Newsroom

August 11th, 2010

What makes you angry at work?

The infamous JetBlue flight attendant who argued with a passenger, quit over the plane intercom, grabbed a few beers and slid down the emergency chute was released on bail last night.

Steven Slater has quickly become a national hero for many of those who are frustrated about their jobs. People all over are applauding his outburst with Youtube videos, blogs, and Facebook groups.

With so many irritated employees rallying behind Slater, we were wondering- what really gets you mad at work?

Please share your stories below and Kyra will read some on air during the 10am ET hour of the CNN Newsroom.

Filed under: Anchors • CNN Newsroom • Kyra Phillips
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

I myself think that Steven Slater is a dangerous person it's just good luck that no other employ's were hurt because of his childish tantrum the authority's should make an example out of him to prevent copy cat idiots .

August 11, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  2. Roxanne

Passengers flying today are ruder than ever that are flying. I just quit my airline job also. Partly do to the way passengers talk to you on the phone, they would state I hope you die of cancer, curse at you, tell you how worthless you are, call you horrible names over the phone, complain about everything, if your flight was late 10 minutes wanted compensation, they want compensated due to the person sitting next to them on plane, they have no respect for other people's feelings. I always wanted to work at an airport or on board, but the way people treat you it would have been harder in person. I expresss sincere sympathy for the flight attendant and can understand why he did what he did. I did not give notice either, I called and resigned. People should go back to the old fashioned motto, treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. There is none of this going on in todays world. The economy is bad and maybe that is fueling some of it.

August 11, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  3. David

what about the person who refused to follow directions on the plane. He should be fined, punished, whatever.. the guy who doesn't follow the rules is the one who makes us all miserable on these flights.. they are the ones who are responsible for delays and bad attitudes on flights. Too bad for the flight attendant, he probably was really good at his job too, what a shame an idiot who can't folow directions got the best of him.

August 11, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  4. Michael Carter

check out Kansas labor laws. I worked for a disabled man for 20yr, he was a quad with CP so it was a 24/7 job, no days off, just hours off. I pleaded for time off but it never came.in fact my respite care was given to the man I took care of.
    the exhaustion of working an endless job ran me down to the point that I got sick, ended up with a brake down in the doc. office and was fired. now my doc. placed me on indef. leave from work.
    I'm unemployed , lost the man I have been caring for , for 20 years and may loose my home. some in my situation have walked in the work place and taken things in there own hands. I will not loose my soul over this. but Kansas labor laws say I don't have a leg to stand on. I have just been tossed like a used Kleenex.

August 11, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  5. Michael Armstrong Sr.

@ David your wright that person that caused the problem needs to be charged but the point is we put our lives in these people's hands and count on them for our safety and the Airlines needs to weed people like Steven Slater out he and other people like him are dangerous .

August 11, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  6. Brannon C.

I am a children's therapist and the thing that makes me mad at work is the lack of parental involvement. Most parents are looking for a "miracle cure" for their child's behavior. Even better if this cure comes in pill form. Parents are not willing to undertake the work required to adequately address the issues their young one is experiencing.

August 11, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  7. Steve

Steven Slater expressed what so many of us who have to work with the public want to do.

Working with the public is one of the most stressful jobs around. It may not by any means be the most dangerous, physically, but mentally and emotionally it is equally as dangerous. For the most part, the public can be a pleasure to work with, but there are many …. CNN asks “Why People Snap?” Believe me, it is not your stereo type work place rage.

Working with the public, you have to deal with people that are mainly frustrated with their own existence and needs to take it out on others. They are over demanding, expecting the impossible. The person working with this impossible customer is cussed at, threatened, treated as a sub-human, a slave or generally just like a piece of work, (substitute your own four letter word for work.) The person working with the public get no respect at all and are made to feel as if their own existence on the planet is solely dependent on them, the customer. The customer is NOT always right and this is what needs to be changed. The employee having to take this abuse is being told by their company supervisors to just take it because it’s “their job.” Wrong!! It is their job to assist the customer with their needs, not to be abused physically or verbally. How do you expect someone to act that gets cursed at, threatened, blamed for everything that they have no control over, including the weather, being told where they can go, then getting the same abusive treatment from their company because they expect the employee to just smile and take it not to “snap?”

August 11, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  8. Jamie

I think this gentlemen used the best advice to his advantage! Treat people the way that you want to be treated!
    If the passenger had not have treated him like dirt and publicly humiliated him, i'll bet he would not have done the same to the passenger. Don't mess with the guy with a loudspeaker at his disposal!
    I've worked plenty of customer service jobs and the attitude is generally that you can treat people like crap but expect them to smile, bend over backwards and get everything for as little as possible. If everyone used a little kindness we'd all be able to have an easier day!

August 11, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  9. Dan

@ Michael Carter – Don't mean to sound insensitive, but you are the one who chose to stay in such an awful career for 20 years. Please stop playing the victim and take responsibility for your situation.

August 11, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  10. Tom

People today have little regard for others, its all about me and only me..Rules are for the meek person who always finishes last.. The TSA regulations and the attitude of airline personal add a lot of stress to the traveler today. What used to be a fun experience is now a big pain in the you know what..

August 11, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  11. shirl jackson

Having flown over 1.5 million miles as a businessman for the past 30 years, I have seen first-hand the steady decline in civility from both passengers and airline employees. My best explanation: spoiled people on both sides. Schools have taught the silly belief that everybody deserves respect regardless of how well or poorly people do their jobs. So Airline people think they deserve respect even while delivering pitiful service. Passengers think they deserve respect because they paid hard earned money just to get on the plane. Both lack civility because their expectations are higher than either can deliver. The result: spoiled adults acting like spoiled children because that is what they are. We have been raised in a world where reality is ignored in favor of some politically correct utopia that doesn't exist. Finally realizing this fact pushes some over the edge. Expect more of this as our population continues to ignore reality. . ssjackson.

August 11, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  12. ss jackson

What gets me mad at work is the realization that only I can make me mad! I want it to be somebody elses doing...I want to feel justified in my own wrong thinking. The fact is only I am responsible for what I feel and do.....and I don't want the responsibility, so I blame all others. Conclusion: If you get mad at work or anything else, get help....you are in denial about your own responsibility to yourself.
    ssj.

August 11, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  13. John

Make him pay for the beer and nothing more. No one should be punished for a dramatic resignation. Jerry Maguire wasn't.

August 11, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  14. Adam

What makes me mad is the people who complain about their jobs. If you want another job, get one. And it's always the same excuse of "There aren't any other jobs available!" Well, there are, but you just feel above them. Buck up or shut up.

August 11, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  15. GW

While it is true that flight attendants have to put up with a lot of grief from some passangers, the point is that they do so. His actions endangered people on the ground and possible those in the plane.

I would guess there was something else going on in his live that this triggered, and at this point did not care at all abount anyone he might have injured. I do not think this person should be held up as a hero – he was a jerk.

There is no way the "cat fight" he had with the female passenger was an excuse for any of his actions.

August 11, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  16. Chris Hemer

What makes people snap in the workplace is a combination of things, as noted. But from my experience, the "last straw" amounts to the way people behave in the work place. Disrespect, rudeness and passive-aggressive behavior can make an average job unbearable. If people would have a little more consideration, be forthright in their opinions and not talk behind each other's back, there would be far fewer incidences of workplace rage. Unfortunately, it's no longer good enough to come into work and do a decent job...you have to deal with workplace politics as well.

August 11, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  17. Steve

What is frustrating a lot of employees that serve the public is that they are not treated as human beings by the customers. We have to deal with the customers' venting by being cursed at, threatened, belittled and generally treated like farm fertilizer, then have to take the same abuse by our employers who tell us to just smile and take it. They can say that because they aren't being cussed at and put down on an hourly basis. You can't always just "walk away" as it was suggested. It's amazing that more customer service people haven't snapped!

August 11, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  18. Carie

I understand how this man feels. I work for an answering service. People scream in my ear all day long, curse at me, and call me names. People become furious with me because sometimes I have to tell them that I can't contact their doctor for the reason that they're calling. They never understand that I'm doing my job and I have protocol that I have to follow, just to be able to keep my job. It is very discouraging to know that the majority of our population are extremely rude people. When you work a public service job, it wears you down so bad. It takes alot to not flip out on people. Everytime I speak to my rude callers I imagine what it would be like to go off on one of them, and ask them how they would feel if they had someone screaming in their ear all day long. I commend this man for what he did. I'm glad somebody finally spoke up.

August 11, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  19. nancy in WV

i'm retired now, so i don't get angry at work. when i did work, i worked with 1000s of people including a whole bunch of doctors. the patients who were easy far outweighed the trouble makers. still, i would go home and fret for hours after a confrontation with a nasty customer. and there were plenty of nasty customers. what really burned my cookies? doctors and nurses who are liars. and if you don't think people like doctors don't lie – think again. most of my anger through my work years? liars and manipulators. i don't know why people lie. it's totally ridiculous when their face and eyes tell the whole story.

August 11, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  20. Katie

@ Michael Armstrong Sr.- A danger? seriously? It's hilarious and I'm glad he did it. After working in the customer service industry for so many years it's great to see somebody that is sick and tired of "the customer is always right" because they are not! They can be rude and nasty and down right condescending. I applaud him for having the balls to do what so many others do not. Plus it's going to be a classic story for him to tell his family and friends for the rest of their life. The fact that he grabbed the beers and slid down that shoot really make the story! Nobody was hurt, except this flight attendants head from the rude passenger's suitcase. Enjoy this story, it's a good one!

August 11, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  21. willy h

let's put the blame where it really belongs: on the airlines themselves.
    their carry-on policies - or rather lack of policy - has directly caused
    the situation that pushed Mr. Slater over the edge. it was bad enough before, but now the rush to charge passengers and squeeze some
    more money out of them simply for the "privilege" of being able to
    take your cloths with you when you go is unconscionable. this has led
    directly to confrontations such as the present one. overhead
    bins were never designed to carry all the baggage of everyone on
    the plane, yet that seems to be what has happened. as we saw
    yesterday, this doesn't work so well. when you add this latest
    misery to the tiny seats and overcrowding this sort of behavior
    on the part of passengers is to be expected ( why I wonder was there
    no mention of the person who put the gash on Mr. Slater's
    forehead, which is there for all to see in the TV footage ). treat
    people like cattle and overcharge them to boot and this is what
    you get ( apologies to the cattle ). Anyone who flies very much
    and can't afford business class has seen this type behavior time
    and time again. The airlines have no one to blame but themselves
    ( though it will be the overworked, underpaid, flight attendants
    who pay the price ). RIGHT ON Mr. Slater.

August 11, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  22. C.Scott

Co-workers across the Nation who are placed in positions of authority, and have no clue how to perform their job functions. Will call for assistance and then create unnecessary grief for the tech., when they are unable to comprehend a simple function such as, 'how to change their password.' So these not so intelligent co-workers across the Nation will attempt to make their incompetence the tech's fault.

August 11, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  23. Sue

Steven may have been injured when the luggage hit him and be suffering some type of brain injury or concussion. Does he suffer from any pre-existing medical condition? I think there should be a weight limit to what can go in the overhead compartments. I have seen them pop open on a rough flight. People can barely lift some bags above their head and they try to stuff into the overhead. I think it is a serious passenger safety issue if someone gets up and starts taking stuff out before the plane is okayed for such activity. I certainly do NOT want to get hit in the head like this Flight Attendant did!

August 11, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  24. Disgruntled and bear(y)ing it

I snapped in my local chapter of Primerica; and to this day, I would have loved to discuss what led to this outburst with the company's founder, Mr. Tom Halpin. It's now about a year later, I'm another year smarter, but my desire to speak with Mr. Halpin remain unchanged. (And yes, I'm still with Primerica.)

August 11, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  25. DeeOne

All I can say is...I understand mounting frustration!.. I don't know Steven's particular mounting frustrations nor his mental status..But, I recently experienced my level of frustration at my job and handed in my resignation without having a new job to go to....I'm very tolerant and super patient...However, I've learned that some managers do not HEAR tolerant..quiet employees.. but they do HEAR loud rude selfish employees...It's a shame to feel so helpless that you "act out' as a juvenile!! This behavior usually occurs last in a normal person after all other attempts to be heard have failed!!!

August 11, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  26. Michael Carter

August 11th, 2010 8:38 am ET

taking care of this man has been my calling for 20 yr. If you love someone enough to stick by them and not let them end up in a care home you will do anything. its the system of health care and the lack of funding for the disabled that led to this. I did my part and never gave up on him. just my body gave out . yes you are insensitive, you have no idea what has been going on to point fingers at me.

August 11, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  27. scot wakefield

While this behavior can't be condoned,allthough it is far more wide spread than has been reported in my 50+ years. In my experience the straw that breaks the camels back is the same reason a cornered animal is likely to bite the hand that feeds it. As long as employers can terminate at will for any arbitrary reason people will always feel helpless or worse "cornered" by oppressive employers, I have witnessed many employee flip-outs. Most people "snap". Kyra, You are a gifted Anchor and appear to be quite smart, so... WHY don,t you and your peers check out the far reaching employer abuses. We all know the end result of allowing any person or entity to operate with impunity. There is no "real" recourse for the average employee. SNAP

August 11, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  28. Pat

What disturbs me is that only rarely in this and other collections of comments about this issue is that this passenger who, it appears, did not follow the federal laws pertaining to air travel, is not being chastised about her actions at all. In my opinion, she is the root cause of the entire incident. Everyone has their breaking point and Mr. Slater obviously reached his. I do not agree with his actions but I do understand why he took them.

August 11, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  29. Charlie

When u have dirty politics in the work place people get upset rather quickly. Like people who are known skaters (just do enough work to fake it) yet have no action taken against them because the have a personal friend and/or aquiantance in a lead position. How about the whole firing of people for any reason just so the company can get rid of them. I had a position where my integrity got me laid off because I refused to illegally make up reasons (with in the law) to let people go. Most companies try and give this view of a wholesome respectable workplace when in fact there are dirty deeds being done behind closed doors. I have personally heard a CEO/owner of a company I worked for actually telling my HR director to get rid of 123 employees and he didn't care how, who, or why. This country is now meant to keep the working class down, put you in debt right out of school, keep you in debt by luring you with credit cards and loans for holmes and vehicles. How many of you aren't up to your eyeballs in debt? If your not in debt you either have money, or have nothing because credit is the basis of money in this country. Companies love knowing you have debt, you make a perfect employee because they know you need that job. This opens up a chance for employers to ABUSE employees because they are dependant on the money coming from said job. Sick stuff right? Maybe it's time to rewrite The Bill of Rights so people in America are actually gauranteed fair practices in money, business, and livelyhood.

August 11, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  30. Lyn Wallace

Put simply – I wish I had the stuff to do the same. Congrats for believing in yourself ! ! !

August 11, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  31. Amber S.

I get frustrated at work when your co-workers treat you like they are superior to you, even though you are just as educated as them. I once had a job with a Physical Therapy clinic where I worked as the PT Aide. I was at the bottom of the chain and was required to do what was asked of me by the Physical Therapists. The head PT and the PT Assistant had been working together for years and the Assistant was a huge suck-up to him. He let the assistant order me around and talk down to me in from on patients. He also let her practice on patients with a closed door as an actual Therapist. She even went to the extent of claiming she was a Therapist to new clinic patients (a BIG no no). She treated me like I had no knowledge of anything PT related, although I had obtained my Bachelors Degree in Exercise Science. She, too, had only obtained her Bachelors Degree in Physical Education and her Associates Degree as a PT Assistant. I think she was just jealous that I had the same level of education as her but she used her "Certificate" to her advantage to treat me like crap. Glad I got out of that situation quick!

August 11, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  32. Steve

I started flying as a Flight Attendant in 74' ($428 for our monthly salary, along with overtime flying from 66-80 hour's. We didn't go thru the abuse that kid's flying today(i.e. Jet Blue Steve at JFK 8/10/10)experience, but we still faced "our own challenge's"like the folk's flying today do.
    I think that "STEVE" could have gone to the woman passenger and attempted to put her carry-on back in the overhead compartment. If he was unable to do so, he then could have taken her bag to the front of the aircraft and made it available to her when she left the aircraft.
    I feel really sorry for "STEVE," but he made the wrong decision here, and folk's shouldn't be making him a "HERO." Steve in SFO

PS I just heard that JETBLUE had hired laid-off Police and Nurse's in NYC to fill Flight Attendant position's. If so, you'd think that their FA's would have more patience-even when treated so horribly wrong!

August 11, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  33. RJ, NORTH MIAMI BEACH

Back in the late 90s, I was recruited by a large retailer as a Store Manager. But after several weeks, it soon became clear that I was no more than a tee shirt-folder and greeter. I repeatedly inquired about my progress, only to be told over and over that " my time would come. " One day – during a huge sale – I took my lunch break, sat outside in my car, and made the decision to quit. I returned to the back room\office, walked up to another manager, and dropped my store keys with a huge " thud " on a table. I simply said, " I quit, " and walked out. As frustrated and angry as I was, I certainly know how others could become violent in the workplace.

August 11, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  34. CKL

I realize that at least in a general sense, most people are idiots and have no problem whatsoever acting obnoxiously. That said, I don't think anyone should be blaming the passenger alone for pissing off the flight attendant. With the cost of airfare being ridiculously over priced, fee's upon fee's for paying fee's of fee's, shrinking seating accommodations, terrorist paranoia, ignorant and racist TSA's, ridiculous federal laws, that make an airline ride feel like a term in a jail cell and flight attendants behaving more like Nazi Gestapo agents rather than the "service" providers they're supposed to be and you have a recipe for passengers with very very short fuses. It's a problem that has infected almost every part of society and it's called greed and to a lesser extent ignorance.

If airlines went back to treating folks the way they did in the mid 70's then passengers might be OK with the outrageous ticket prices, because at least the ride itself is pleasurable and the overall experience is fun and exciting. The other part of the problem is ignorance and paranoia, which has led to countless stupid laws that stress everyone. If people assumed some accountability and realized that life has always been about risk, perhaps we could get back to a less invasive travel experience. In case your wondering, the boogeyman terrorist has already won the game. If their goal was to destroy our freedoms then consider how free you feel when your being strip searched before you get on a plane.

August 11, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  35. Dave

I see the much of the problem coming from the industry in general, and the publics demand for cheaper and cheaper flights. It's gotten to the point where in many cases one could say: "I'd like to drive, but flying is cheaper.". The public has demanded the "wal-martization" of the skies and this is partially the result.

The airlines over the past 15 years have very cleverly realized that they can subcontract their flying to Regional Carriers for much cheaper than they can fly. The regional employees paid a shockingly small salary, and as a result often attract less than the best employees. As much as 50% of all domestic flying is done by regional carriers whose flight attendants make somewhere around $20,000-25,000.

I do believe in the free market system to an extent, but it's the public who has forced the airlines to cut as many costs as possible, and today's airports are the result.

Ask any flight crew member with more than 10 years of experience, and they will likely tell you they were making more money, with better schedules back in the 1980's-90's, and that isn't accounting for inflation.

Congratulations America! You asked for it, and you've got it. Point A to Point B for $39, safely, with no frills. Stop complaining, or start paying for your service.

August 11, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  36. DietrichZ

What makes me angry at work are the people who can not step up to their errors and admit it. They are so quick to toss someone else under the bus to cover their butts. Admit that your wrong and fix the issue.

August 11, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  37. Jon

We all get taken away by anger from time to time. What Slater did was taking it one step to far. He decided what job to take. It looked like someone was waiting outside the plane – was this set up?

August 11, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  38. Caroline Picard

Personally I love this guy–rudeness has gotten out of hand in this country. Dangerous, no, FEDUP, yes.

August 11, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  39. Kellye Worth

You would think that physicians would be respected at work, but even we are not immune from disrespectful people. Medicine is becoming a business and people get to survey me based on whether or not they like me, not based on my medical knowledge. If I don't give people what they want, whether or not it is necessary, they get upset, and some people call me names. I went through numerous years of medical training for some people that barely made it through high school to yell at me because I would not order an X-ray or give narcotics that are unnecessary. What happened to the days when physicians were respected for their medical knowledge?

August 11, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  40. Michele

Being Bullied by boses that micro-manage on the job can make a simple task difficult. We are paid to complete a job, not to be spoken to out of disrespect from someone that is paid to be a leader. The egos of working with a person like that is hard but a great motivator to look elsewhere for employment where the work enviornment is not as hostile. This is an easy way to how emploers lose skilled and experienced workers who believe that we are stuck because of a shaky economy; so they treat us any kind of way. We still have options!

Take care

Michele

August 11, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  41. Terry

i was a retail manager for over 20 years and I've seen the very worse of people on both sides of the customer-employee issue. No matter what a customer does the employee is supposed to take it and that's wrong, I would never discipline an employee who took as much as they could before returning a bad attitude, but I would never tolerate an employee who was rude to a customer first.

August 11, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  42. abbydelabbey

No matter how angry you feel, you should have the professional, maturity to act like an adult - not like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum. It was totally irresponsible to subject an entire plane load of men, women, and children to his profanity laced tirade. He also risked injuries to others on the ground when he released the emergency slide.

I have had a supervisor scream and rant at me in front of other employees. You cannot reason with unreasonable people. I let her rant and rave and quietly excused myself.

Was I happy about that? No! But I was a professional and kept my cool. I resigned knowing that my supervisor's unprofessional, inappropriate behavior was tolerated by the second-in-command at the company.

I walked away with my head held high and my professional reputation and self-respect intact.

August 11, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  43. Keith Brown

I think the problem here is that the whole commercial flight scene has gotten really different since 911. Granted, you had a lot of rude, ignorant, self-centered people (like this woman) in the bygone days of air travel, but a lot of people just won't fly anymore. We are down the hardcore and a lot of them just are not nice people.

I feel sorry for the poor guy, but there were a 10 other ways to deal with Ms. Problem that might not have caused such a fuss. You don't read about it, but security officers are called and passengers are removed from aircraft ALL THE TIME. Ms. Nasty-pants should think about that a little...

August 11, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  44. Ilona

About 4 years ago now I was working in a customer service call center for one of the largest banks in the country. Not only is the almost constant complaining of credit card customers a strain, management also puts added stress on their employees. We are required to "meet the number" or be fired. I mean we are expected to calm down an irrate customer, whether is is our fault or their mistake, and then sell them an additional product.

After being there for 2 years the pressure was so much that one day I suddenly felt like I was going to throw the computer out the window. Instead I just left work and went home. My daughter was there and was quite concerned about my mental state. I must say work put me in a company paid couseling session and 1 year of FMLA but as soon as that year was up I was fired. Fired for going to another conseling appointment. Go figure. The only good thing is that my stress dissappeared after that. No job is worth the stress some of these companies put us through. I would rather earn less and feel like a person not an number then have the big bucks.

August 11, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  45. George

Considering that employers are able to relieve workers of their jobs with relative ease, even with unjustified reasons, I think it's going too far when those same employers could inflict smears within a person's background checks for future employment. So where does one go to access those exact same background checks? Yes, I can Google for tons and tons of background check info, but the only background checks worth checking out are the dominant ones that are impacted by and relied on by employers. Shouldn't the employees themselves be informed, by mail, how to get an updated background check readings? Anyone out there know the answer to this?

August 11, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  46. Ken

I've been in customer in the service/ hospitality business for many years. Polite customers far outwiegh rude ones. Sure, the customer is NOT always right but they are always the customer. If you take the occasional rudeness personally you're probably in the wrong line of work.

August 11, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  47. tj

what really gets me angry at work? The co-workers who spend the morning at the coffee pot and who work all afternoon with their tv/radio cranked all the way up, like the guy sitting next to me right now, watching cnn =)

August 11, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  48. Southgate Jo

The American worker is being asked to sacrafice their home life and just about every free waking moment for their jobs. My wife manages a retail store for a national brand chain store, and frequently works double shifts ...roughly 9AM-10:00 PM. The company keeps cutting staff and leaving most of the work load on the shoulders of the 3 managers, who are salary workers making around 20 – 30 thousand dollars a year. They are working for penuts when you average all the hours out and ...the mall chain store district manager just tells them ...jobs are scarce if you lose this one or quit, you probably won't be able to find another. In this environment could any employee maintain their demenor in a situation where they are being abused?

I personally understand very clearly what is going on with the young flight attendent. He just cracked. There is just too much pressure being exerted upon the backs of the American employee. We need a workers rights bill and we need it now ....Let the flight attendent go with no charges. That customer needs to be the one charged. Just a horrible situation and one that is developing nationwide .....sad

August 11, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  49. Andy B

I work at a food place on a AFB and we get the most rood people you can think of. You would think that people in the miltary would be nice to people that are make there food.

August 11, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  50. NTG

Kyra, Your on-air "joke" to your colleague about needing a psychologist himself was inappropriate. People who seek psychological help should be seen as courageous for wanting to take on painful problems and better themselves. You demean those people and their efforts, and make it more difficult for those thinking about seeking support to overcome the stigma associated with seeking mental/emotional health assistance.

August 11, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  51. Ann in western NC

WHY is that flight attendant seen as a hero??? I do not understand why flipping out is seen as something to be honored. Keeping his cool is his job. I was a stewardess in the 70s and was injured trying to assist an old lady who stood on takeoff.
    It is a shame the way we give honor to negative actions these days.

August 11, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  52. Ash

I work in the Customer service industry and I have always approached the job with a kind and understanding attitude, but sometimes customers who are on their cell phone, or that seem to ignore you because they think they can muti task makes me angry. I find it rude and arrogant. Maybe it is the sign of the world today. Hiding away from neighbor and being a very "isolationist" country. No longer do we have the days where a neighbor is welcomed to the community, nor the interaction and respect we used to give each other. Yes the times have change drastically since the 50's, but when did we loose sight of courtesy and respect for each other? If you visit our store, you're a human being deserving of an amazing experience. That's what I try to deliver, and that's how I feel we can change, one act at a time.
    I think the incident with Mr. Slater is definitely a sign of someone who had enough, however he is not an american hero. The men and women who serve our country in uniform are heroes!

August 11, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  53. R Anthony

What makes me angry is the mentality in Corporate America that managers have that it is OK to leverage the economy against hard-working talent versus fairly rewarding them for their efforts. Especially during a time when companies are trying to do more with less, and sometimes inadequate, head count.

I imagine there will be quite the shuffle of corporate talent in America once the karma of the inevitable economical uptick kicks in.

August 11, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  54. Fred

Thanks for the interresting blogs, one & all! And thanks to Team Kyra, or should we say the new Team Kyra for the interesting issues presented. Whether from N.Y. earlier in the morning, with K. Chetry & J. Roberts, or from Atlanta with Kyra, Tony & Ali at the CNN headquarters, the viewing this August has been truly enoyable, even if I don't usually seem to be able to fully 'connect' with the other bloggers or anchors & reporters. Sorry about that. I'll still be watching, here & there. Congrats & cheers!

August 11, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  55. Ellie

The flight attendant would not be such a rock star if you weren't sensationalizing him every five minutes all day. I am tired of hearing about him. People should not become famous and get so much attention for acting like he did. How about spending time talking about someone who has done something worthwhile.

August 11, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  56. YVega

I worked as a flight attendant for two years back in 2000 before September 11. I just wanted to say that the airline industry's standard of customer service has declined quite drastically since then. But during my day, I had my share of crazy passengers, especially when I worked domestic flights. People sreaming and foaming at the mouth because they want to get up and get their things out of the bins even before the plane has stopped. "I have rights", and "You can't keep us prisoners here" and "Who do you think you are, I pay for you to keep your job" were some of the most common phrases I heard.
    I switched over to international flights because in some other countries, flight attendants and pilots are seen as admirable careers and I received more respect.

But in general, respect and civility has been lost and you see it everywhere. I worked for a hotel for many years and was told to say "Good Morning" or "Good Day" to everyone I passed. How many odd stares I received during the five years I worked there! Try it. Next time your out and about, smile and say "Good Morning" to the people you pass, or when you go into an office, waiting room or elevator. It's not common anymore. Many don't even respond.
    How many times have we gone to a restaurant or store and you feel that you are actually bothering the employee with your presence? Customer service is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

We live in a ME society, where what I say counts and I demand respect, because what I am thinking or about to say IS the most important. Isn't this why we have blogs and twitters and all? Good day everyone!

On a side note. I can understand the frustration the flight attendant felt for being mistreated maybe even on a daily basis by irrate passengers. But I believe the passenger should also be charged with assualt or endangernment of others. Neither one is right here and both acted foolishly and carelessly. I do not believe the flight attendant should be given his job back. All this does is merit his blow up. Flight attendants know that on the tarmax, and takeoff and landing are the most critical times of a flight. The fact that he lost it completey and escalated the already unsafe environment for everyone on the plane and surroundings is unacceptable. We cannot merit childish, dramatic outbursts as Okay because someone has a rough day. This isn't a muscial or a movie, in real life you must accept the consequences for your actions.

August 11, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  57. Andy B

Yvega I work as a cook in a food place. I alway give 100% of kindness to the people I serve but not always get it in return from them.

August 11, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  58. Leslie

This passenger got what was coming to hima nd i hope the other rude ones get it also! Good Job Steven! Thank you for standing up for all of us! And to all of you who have NEVER walked in a Flight Attendant's shoes try it before posting your stupid comments because you have no idea! You are probably one of the people who do not follow the rules!

August 11, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  59. Mike

I love this guy, We are getting way too uptight in this country about things that don't matter. Any one who says this guy is a danger to society needs to get their heads out of the sand and experience life. Life's too short, and since you only have the one you got you have to take enjoyment about the comedic value of this story.

August 11, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  60. AL PAGLIA

We are supposed to turn the cheek and "Do unto others as we would Have them do unto us"
    I think Steven has been doing this for 20 years and as a "Human" did not stand for this insults she was giving him.

I completly understand and hope the courts free him completely.

August 11, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  61. Richard Ridley

What makes me angry is a customer that acts like a bully. I use to work at a restaurant that had a unwritten no tolerance policy for rude customers. It was really funny when we would walk up to a table, strip everything off the table and ask the rude customer to leave. They would sit there dumbfounded for a moment. Then they would ask who the owner is and I would tell them that I was the owner. I would say now your getting an unguided tour of the parking lot.

August 11, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  62. Morgan

There are plenty of people who love to pull a charade like steven. Ultimately, however, you are there to serve customers. No matter how rude, immature or crazy they may be at times, something always remains the same, "the customer is ALWAYS right."

August 11, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  63. Steve

The flight attendant was the victim of a "consumer terrorist". Such a customer is secure in the knowledge that corporate America will always choose the money of a paying customer over the safety and welfare of their own employees. In my business, I have actually seen a customer abuse one of our people to the point of tears and be given a $25 gift card for the trouble. Wouldn't it be appropriate for Jet Blue to ban this passenger from all future flights for assaulting one of their employees? I'll bet she got a free flight.

August 11, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
  64. Rachelle

Regarding the Jet Blue incident. Maybe the jerk who refused to follow flight protocol will now come forward for his 15 minutes of fame. He needs to explain his "me first" "entitlement" mentality and why he would interfere with the safety of the rest of the passengers. It is sad that a long time employee , Steven Slater, was pushed to this extreme. You can put up with rude people just so long before you have to walk away. Or maybe – sliding is faster. These rude people are everywhere and seem to get away with it.

August 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  65. Susan Hill

My lawyer/lobbyist boss of over 26 years made me cry at work. He screamed and yelled at me till he was red in the face. And, this was in front of another colleague. I tried to explain to him why an error was not made by me – he didn't want to hear it. Finally, out of shear frustration, I said, "Mr. Z, if you don't quit screaming and yelling at me, I am going to cry. And if I cry, I'm going home and may or may not be in on Monday." I walked out. I was here the following Monday morning, bright and early and cheerful. He felt horrible and apologized right away. Either our colleague chewed him out or his wife did over the weekend – or both.

August 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
  66. jc white

i have flown for over33years. it's very stressful,crowed and fights are never on time. customer service is a thing of the past. your lucky if a attendent even looks at you when you board. i just flew home last week from boston on airtran. the attendent did'nt speak when i boarded or at my seat. he did meet an elderly couple in front of me and gave him the royal treatment. full cans of soda and snacks for 1st class passengers only. and all of us on coach seen this. the elderly man was from the same state as him. i have had body fat hanging onto my seat and body. flights are overbooked and times are always changed on flights to alanta. why do folks get to carry huge bags onto flights and tie up loading folks and filling up overhead? i pay to check lugage, so should they. i think prices are fair, but it's never fun anymore.

August 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  67. Teresa K

Bottom line he behaved poorly. In front of his Co workers and passengers. The passenger envolved surely had no right to exhibit such poor manners. But being a veteran Flight Attendant he should have been trained how to handle unruly siuations. For everyones best interest he should have tried to de escalate the situation. Walking off leaving other well behaved passengers and co workers was a poor example. And taking beer for which he had not paid for. Sorry I know he had enough but that's wrong.
    I have worked in Nursing for 24 yrs. I have been cursed and spat upon by patients in there right minds. Almost daily we are yelled at and given almost impossible demands. We are taught to step back, take a deep breath and THINK before we react. Keep in mind I chose this job and the flight attendant chose his. I feel for him. He lost his job over a situation he could have handled differenty. And I bet he was fun to fly with as he obviously had a sense of humor. Just hate he sank to the passengers level and in doing so lost his job. Nursingis stressful & challenging. Most of all its rewarding. And to have a good job with current economy is a blessing!

August 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  68. Florence

When I was in the workforce, I hated employees who weren't doing their jobs and didn't want me to do my job. I was told they didn't know why I was actually working because I wasn't going to be there long. Already, they saw I was making them look bad, so they set out to get rid of me and they did. The boss having known them longer sided with them and out the door I went.

August 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  69. jude

Oh how I would like to shout or curse or something for those insensitive people who fly with every piece of their wardrobe shoved into a suitcase that they then cram and cram in over my head, and how many times have I seen people drop that suitcase (little old ladies who carry on 100 lbs), then cannot lift it up or support the thing when they pry it out. People are horrid on airplanes. Shoving 300 lb people in a seat for a 6th grader makes everyone mad. It's about time someone told off those people who feel entitled not to follow the rules. However, sometimes it takes forever to get to the gate and the AC is off. The whole airline industry needs to be overhauled. Maybe Steve's outburst will call some attention to these horrid behaviors on both sides.

August 11, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  70. cynthia b allen

I can understand the stress steven was under. I worked for an administrator who worked me and other employers non-paid overtime with rarly an 8 hr day off. The stress was unbearable especially when you are in a live-in position with mentally challenged people. The administrator was very selfish as he could take off weeks at a time and his staff including me would cover him..He had no appreciation, I didnot receive a raise in 2 and 1/2 years until I was so stressed that one night I had more than a few glasses of wine and still felt it the next day and was totally embarassed by a state visitor that the administrator fired me and he didnot care if I had anywhere to go or not. Needless to say I was homeless from late april until now and all my bills are late. I hope that everyone get destressed before anything like this happen to you. It is so much more I would like to say, although my time is limited at least no life was taken unlike the postal killings years ago.

August 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  71. Rachel Hoye

This story is nothing new...People walk out of jobs all the time. This is just different because it is funny. I walked out of a my restaurant when I was 17 years old because my manager was so rude to me. People are so rude to people that are trying to help them or trying to make a living. I don't get how people learn these ways in life to be mean to people. Working at a restaurant for 8 years proves to me "The customer is NOT always right". Treat people as you would like to be treated if you were put in their situation. It is called respect, people!!

August 11, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  72. RM

What makes me made at work is thinking about how a good portion of my salary will be going to people who haven't contributed jack to our system. Redistribution of wealth, stealing from the rich to give to the lazy, uneducated poor. Also makes me angry about the future financial collapse of this country through our leaders Master Plan to distroy this country. Pathetic!!!

August 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  73. Nat

The most frustrating thing at work is the incompetence of workers and the failure to address it

August 12, 2010 at 12:21 am |
  74. Stella

I'm a teacher. I'm tired of being expected to discipline children, file paperwork for Special Ed. Depts., take attendance, play counselor and to fulfill the MOST important duty of all without the technology to do so: TO TEACH. I'm sick of uncouth parents sending their spawns of Satan to school with an abyssal sense of decorum. I'm discouraged by the typical ebb and flow of politics and petty issues spurred by loser teachers who have nothing better to do with their time but invent issues from fart smoke and a deranged perception of the world. One co-worker told me I was supposed to be UNDER her. Another said in a crowded hallway- fried chicken was my favorite. I don't eat fried food, nor do I eat fast food. Did I fail to mention the racist implications and classicism that co-workers face from others ??? ..Drive a cheap car to work like I do. Do not drive a "nice" car to work. Doing so will cause undue drama and WILD accusations will fill the mouths of assumptive persons...In a nutshell: I hate my job and all of the b.s. that comes with it. The bright spot: Children learning.

August 12, 2010 at 1:33 am |
  75. Tracy

I work at an amusement park and get paid less than 8 dollars an hour as a supervisor dealing with angry guests and angry employees. I am forced to work over 60 hours a week without overtime. Going to an amusement park for the day gives so many guests a feeling of entitlement that angers me. I have been flicked off, cursed out, shoved, screamed at, and threatened on countless occasions..all because my job requires safety rules that must be followed such as height restrictions. On my last day, the next person who yells as I try to keep their child safe, I wish to retaliate just like Steven Slater, complete with the intercom, telling the guests they can shove it.

August 12, 2010 at 6:13 am |
  76. Laurie

What makes me mad is when people don't do their job, and someone else has to take up their slack. If these people *actually* worked as hard as they work at NOT working, they'd be great employees!

Also, I get mad that people think because I telecommute, my job is easier than theirs. Actually, it's more difficult, and I have to work harder, and more, than when I was in the office.

August 12, 2010 at 7:17 am |
  77. Dave G

Morgan have you considered that maybe not just his family crisis, customers, wife or girlfriend, bills.... play a role? Family crisis is just one aspect off it, usually it takes about 3 or more crisis to have someone blow up. Even the sane become insane in situations, even doctors and psych go crazy.

August 12, 2010 at 7:47 am |
  78. Mary

I had a job where the Executive Director would say "do this and do it this way". Then, when I did and took it to her, she would say "why did you do it like that?" When I would reply "because you told me to" - the truth– she would get absolutely livid and yell "I would never say that". She would yell at me so loud for asking a question all in the area would ask me later if I was ok. One time a lady in a nearby office overheard how I was talked to and commented "you were berated!"

A totally abusive person due to her early altzheimer's. I don't miss working there at all.

What about the passengers who bopped Steven Slater? Isn't that usually called ASSAULT? What happened to them? We need some assurance that employees will not have to be abused on the job.

August 12, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  79. Michael Armstrong Sr.

What would make me angry that would be not being paid on pay day .

August 12, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  80. John Tyler Erie, Pa

Almost all employers treat you as just a number. They put no value on experience or loyalty. Companies are profit driven so when there is a downturn business people are dumped for the sake of the bottom line while executives still keep their wages and bonuses.

August 12, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  81. dabeansdad

I was a sofware developer and system expert, the only one on the team. New manager brought me in and I sat there with a smile on my face as she told me how she walks by my cube every day, and 9 times out of 10 I have my browser up, etc, etc. I told her that I thought that was unlikely, as I had uninstalled the browser four months earlier. (Netscape, pre-IE days...) She stared me down and said "I saw it on your screen last week." I leaned forward and said, "You're bluffing. If you're so sure, go check the logs and prove me wrong." She said she would, but a week went by and she had apparently discovered that I was right. Rather than apologize, she called another meeting and asked me if I had figured out a way to have quotes for my stocks sent to my pager. Seriously? Customized stock quotes sent to a pager in the mid 90's? That was it. Nothing dramatic, no burned bridges, I just found another job and put in my 2 weeks. Next day she called a 3rd meeting, "So...um...what the h*ll are you doing?" Lady, its pretty easy. You're a paranoid psychotic and I'm leaving. Good luck replacing me.

August 12, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  82. Sahara

Perhaps Steven Slater is not a hero in the traditional sense of the word. However, for those of us who have experienced the downfalls of working in the service sector (and that's not to say that there aren't also benefits, but still), he is celebrated not only for doing what many of us fantasize about doing on a daily basis, but for bringing national attention and consideration to the treatment of people who are employed to serve others. Mine is a retail job, and to say that even the majority of people who frequent my store are inconsiderate would be unfair. Dealing with the disgruntled minority for four years, however, has driven me to an unfriendly, anti-social attitude that I would never have considered characteristic. I appreciate Steven Slater because if even one person reads his story, reconsiders their treatment of the employees at the establishments they frequent, and decides to change their attitude, my job and the jobs of my co-workers would be rendered that much more enjoyable. And I'll tell you what. When you're not pissing us off, we are so much more inclined to actually help you. So I guess that makes it a win-win.

August 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
  83. Howard Libera

Kyra ,
    I am surprised something like this Jet Blue situation has not happened at Bradley but recently we have had our issues. I want to comment on the story you did about the college student in Minnesota who had his bike stollen. As a firefighter I see the best and worst of humanity and I know in your work you see both on a much greater scale it sickens me to know what human beings can to to one another but I am also inspired by acts of kindness aswell. You our an angel and I know you know what an honor it was for me to meet you and you inspired me at a very difficult time in my life I am a better Firefighter and human being because of you , you have touched so many people and I am honored to be one of them. I have made a donation to help replace the stolen bike thanks again for what you have done for me personally and what you do everyday. Because of very special people like you the world is truly a better place and you have inspired me to do what I can to make my corner of it alittle better thanks again. Howard Libera

August 12, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  84. commentingcomet

What bothers me at work is that people are just so rude and mean. When did it become acceptable to be a jerk about every little thing? I have times when I have gone to exceptional lengths to appease an unhappy customer, no matter who caused the problem. Would it hurt to say "thank you" when someone is doing all they can to help you, even if they aren't able to accomplish everything you're demanding? Please be especially nice to anyone who has to deal with the public: it takes an awful lot of nice considerate people to counter the day-wrecking effect of just one mean jerk.

August 14, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  85. Sharon Carroll

What makes me mad at work you ask? Individuals who have been in their positions and/or working for the same organization using primarily the same systems and programs for 30+years who become control freaks, bullies and abuse their authority! They often times can't come close to the knowledge an individual has to offer who has worked for multiple companies, learned multiple programs, has experienced both successes and failures from their past experiences in the work force and private sector. Yet, because you, an outsider somehow manages to land a job and position only to learn it's because it's a job no one else within wants; yet you are made everyday to feel as though you don't belong because some feel it should have been filled by someone within the organization, but you chose to preserver and in fact not only demand to be taught so you can do your job well, but look for ways and been successful in finding ways to do it more efficiently and cost effectively. You are not heard and are the first that is blamed when something goes wrong. You are disrespected and your ability to do your job is always questioned, you're constantly being scrutinized and under a microscope and it's all because some one/people personally do not like you. Because more time had to be spent in teaching someone who is brand new to the system instead of being transfered from within, those who were comfortable and the people who were no longer in place to maintain their comfort zone, the animosity and finger pointing is directed towards to newbie, 1yr on the job. Lastly, laying-off office and clerical personnel and expecting those who don't get cut to be grateful they didn't, and work you like a work horse doing the amount of work that at some points could keep 3 employees busy, 7hrs a day, 5 days a week! and expecting perfection.... Never grateful, never appreciative, simply over paid ego's in control.

August 14, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  86. jillybean

Sure customer service jobs can be annoying at times but I have found co-workers to be even more irritating.

August 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  87. Mark

No one cares anyone any more. everywhere you people are rude and insensitive. I have over 20 jobs in the forty years I have been employed and most of my employers were jerks, idiots, thieves & crooks. I once worked for a trucking company in Los Angeles where the owner was stealing from the bank, bouncing payroll checks and this went on for months before the company was finally forced to closed. Employees lost their homes and cars and this dirt bag didn't even file w-2's or pay payroll taxes for 2 years. All the employees had problems with the IRS for years after the company closed.

August 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  88. Jay

@Charlie: "I have personally heard a CEO/owner of a company I worked for actually telling my HR director to get rid of 123 employees and he didn't care how, who, or why."

Nothing wrong with that. Downsizing happens all the time. The fact that the CEO said he didn't care how, who or why actually is better than if he had told the HR director to focus on a certain group of people. He was letting the HR director determine where personnel could be cut.

August 16, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  89. David

What makes me mad at work . . .
    Watching the "Peter Principle" at work.

August 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm |
  90. Tess

There are 10 people in my office...two of whom hardly ever come to work! Yet, they bill the same amount of hours the rest of us do. Our supervisor is in another location and none of us want to be a "rat," but it is really beginning to affect morale in the office.

Fed up in DC.

August 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  91. Gi Gi

My personal pet peeve is people who are newly hired only to be taken by the hand and led up the ladder while employees with 20 or more years experience are passed by. I recently applied for a position within in my company, a job I had essentially been doing since my supervisor retired. I have 25 years experience with my section and I was not even given acourtesy interview.

August 16, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  92. Tracy O'Connell

I'm frustrated by the 're-engineered' work environment that makes us all clerk-typists first and whatever we went to school to be, second. If I was good at clerical work, I'd have gone into it, it's a fine field for those with a certain set of preferences. Ditto computer repair.

But those didn't play to my skills, my parents were told when I was in the second grade, so I chose another path. Then some brain trust somewhere decided it made sense to pay managers to do clerical work, and hopefully there's still time in the day to fit in a few managerial functions.

My day has been fixing the copier, changing toner, and uploading documents ever since. I've changed careers, but it seems to be the same everywhere. Every time Bill Gates releases some new thing we all go to training to re-learn what I used to delegate – if I did the things once that I do now, the clerical union would have sued me.

August 16, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  93. karlene

Incompetent co-workers and superiors who try to mask incompetence by being brash is very annoying to me. It gets me really mad if I cannot get through to the lower idiots who are being back by the upper ones, because they are as silly and incompetent as them.

August 17, 2010 at 1:04 am |