Today on CNN Newsroom

August 19th, 2010

Last U.S. Combat Convoy leaves Iraq

The last U.S. brigade combat team in Iraq has left the country, a move that helps U.S. President Barack Obama reach his goal of 50,000 troops in the country by September 1. Their departure leaves about 56,000 U.S. troops in the country, according to the U.S. military. Their departure comes more than seven years after U.S. combat forces entered, though their departure does not signify the end of all U.S. combat forces in the country. Another 6,000 U.S. troops must leave Iraq to meet Obama's deadline for the end of U.S. combat operations in the country and the beginning of Operation New Dawn in which the remaining U.S. forces are expected to switch to an advise-and-assist role.

This 7-year war has impacted lives all across this country.
We want to hear your thoughts on this milestone. We'd especially like to hear from current and former veterans

Post your comments and Kyra will read your some of them during the 10am hour of Newsroom.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Dennis Lurvey in Phoenix

as a vietnam vet, where we left with our tails between our legs in defeat, this could heal those wounds for me. when i heard that soldier say "we won!" I started to cry. This is very very big.

August 19, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  2. Larry Keeler

A grateful "Well Done" to all of our troops who are now leaving the conflict. They are thrilled, of course, to be leaving and our country is grateful and welcoming their return home. I know how they feel. I served 3 voluntary tours in Vietnam, and left that country on February 13th, 1973. I'm hopeful the mid-east conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will not simply "fall apart" after the U.S. departure, similar to the events after my service in Vietnam. In any event, WELCOME HOME !

August 19, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  3. Maryellen

I am so happy to see our troops leaving Iraq. Why was such an important event kept so quiet? I am forever amazed at how much work Obama is doing for us and yet he remains humble. It is time for America to stop crying for what they don't see and start being thankful for the good things we see continuously happening by this amazing leader. Also...why are people upset about the mosque in NYC. Do you see every italian as a mafia member or southern white man as KKK member or every dog as a murderous pit bull? We can blame Al Aueda for 9/11 and leave the rest of the muslims alone.

August 19, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  4. Maj Virginia Vardon-Smith

I served in Iraq as a CPT in the ICU in the hospital in the green zone from 05-06 with the 10th Combat Support hospital. I am glad we are finally exiting Iraq as I saw so many good people; our Soldiers, Allied Soldiers and civilians, severely injured and wounded and its time the carnage stops. We saved so many lives and we made so many life long friends, it's time we turn the page. I only hope that the good folks, the civilians who risked their lives to work with us, well be able to survive and thrive now that we are gone.

August 19, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  5. David A. Tobias

I would like to say, I so glad about our troops coming home that's reall great... But, I'm A FORGOTTEN GENERATION, I am a proud COMBAT Marine that served proudley in VietNam which we never got 1 millionth of the press that all the troops are getting today, remember, we spent 10 long years in Vietnam, please don't forget us too.........

TOBY

August 19, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  6. Michael Armstrong Sr.

I am a vet from the Iranian rescue mission where the conflict of war against the middle east first began some say this war has been going on for 8 yrs. but I say its been going on for 33 years my sacrifices can no way be compared to the sacrifices of the soldiers coming home but I do know how they feel as they steam towards the continental United States our warriors are coming home but for some the wounds will never heal welcome home .

August 19, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  7. cc

Yesterday was a day that will be remembered throughout our history.
    What I will remember is that it was the day my son was out of harms way. I knew they would be driving to Kuwait and I was worried, Im glad its over and they made it out of Iraq safely! God bless our troops and the families that love them.

August 19, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  8. Karen Price

My son, James Webster, went into Iraq on March 20, 2003 with 4 ID out of Fort Hood, Texas and was in the group that drove to Tikrit that Palm Sunday weekend. He is on his 4th tour in Iraq, now with 1 ID out of Fort Riley, Kansas. He was deployed 6 months ago and so I don't know if he will be part of the 56,000 remaining after September 1. James and his 2 brothers (also active military) grew up in Midland, Texas. I knew of Midland sons who were killed in combat when their tours were extended the extra 3 weeks in April 2004. To those remaining, stay safe.

August 19, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  9. Libby

I am a wife of a soldier of one of the 56,000 left in Iraq. I think it is a bit of stretch to say that all combat troops are out of Iraq, especially since my husband is attached to something called the "2nd brigade combat team." The brave men and women he serves with are no longer going to be conducting combat missions, but they are not scheduled to be back until the middle of October/first of November. We need to make sure to remember that there still are a lot of troops in the country, and that while combat operations may have ceased, we are still in conflict. I guess the only good thing will be he'll have two patches: one for Operation Iraqi Freedom and one for Operation New Dawn.

August 19, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  10. Mary Michigan

Danny Kleis SPC, Last night I watched you cross the Kuwait boarder, it was a proud moment for all of us! We love you and can't wait to see you!! Great job to all the Ft.Lewis Strykers!!!!

August 19, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  11. Joseph

I currently serve overseas and know soilders who have lost limbs, lives and the will to recover. The wars, although costly I think has reach a debt that can't be repaid, the lives fellow brother at arms and service members. Iraq is a lesson that should never be forgotton and those who lost family members always remembered. May god Bless the USA.

August 19, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  12. Donald J. Glidden JR.

In the Second World War we were successful allies fighting the Turks (centuries old enemies) and Germans (etc), today (and ever since) we have been trying to make things right without revisiting the time everything changed, went wrong and completely thrown in reverse such as now attempting in using the Turks (now our allies) to lead them (the Arabs) anywhere in a major way. If so many disturbing issues keep bring us back to the major point of any timeline, then it is there where everyone can find a correlation (reason). Every time anyone tries to revisit the last time (this point/regardless of reason) those now at war were on the same page someone in the shadows (whom are leading us) throws up a brick wall and says “hey look over there (while pointing)”, or “no you can’t have access”, ETC. The sooner that we conclude that nearly all our faults are the direct result of our allowances the closer to the truth will we become. The future plan of establishing a new world order is not certain. It is incomprehensible when trying to communicate that a few differences which are only the same words spoken in a different way (and/or people) can undermine all the rest. Regardless of any topic once a known most identifiable “something” appears where it ought to be the undeniable facts of its origins and truth of its words cannot be mocked or separated for any reason due to its significance. Everyone regardless of circumstance admits someone is intentionally keeping us at each other’s throats, maybe if we can first all confirm that it isn’t at least the same person (or affiliated people) and then go from there we would all see better results. "Most sincerely",
    DONNIE Salem Mass.
    EST. 1626

August 19, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  13. Joseph

currently serve overseas and know soilders who have lost limbs, lives and the will to recover. The wars, although costly I think has reach a debt that can't be repaid, the lives of my fellow brother at arms and service members across the globe. Iraq is a lesson that should never be forgotton and those who lost family members and friends should always be remembered. May god Bless the USA

August 19, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  14. Myo

I've have been deployed to Iraq in 2008-2009 and although it is relieving knowing that some Soldiers made it back safe and sound I can't help to think of how some family members are angry/sad that their fallen loved ones never made it back. I am not trying to downplay the return of these Soldiers, however, we should continue to remember to never forget those who paid the ultimate price.

August 19, 2010 at 9:24 am |
  15. Kate Benner

My husband served in Iraq, and I was pregnant at home last year with our five year old–and gave birth to our 2nd son while he was gone. He was gone 3 months for training, and 9 months in Iraq. He came home in February. He lost a friend to a suicide bomber, he was a first responder to an explosion set off by Iraquis with hundreds of casualties.Roadside bombs and suicide bombers will most likely not cease now that we have reduced troops. To leave 56,000 troops behind doesn't necrssarily mean success in my eyes. Peoples husbands, wives, parents, children are still gone....and what has changed 7 years later?
    My husband is in the National Guard-and we don't live on or near a base–therefore, we and families like us, were wandering about our communities unrecognized with little to no support. He came home in February–and is not the same. My child is undersgoing real stress because of the readjustment. No matter how many phone calls and emails I make..my family is still in real emotional distress–and we are ONE family of one troop. The investment of this war-financially and emotionally- was not worth the pay out. I hope that all loved ones are returned to their families soon–as we can't fight everyones battles at the expense of our own.

August 19, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  16. Joe D.

I have two brothers currently serving in the U.S. Army, one of which is serving his third tour in Iraq right now. Whereas I'm glad to see that we are bringing an end to our combat responsibilities in Iraq, it is important that we do not forgot about those still on the ground, working to end the insurgency and allow the Iraqi government to thrive. This war has been one of the most controversial events in out country's history but the cause of freedom must always endure. I pray that Democracy in Iraq will succeed beyond our expectations so that the sacrifices made by so many American families may be assuaged, even if only a little, by the knowledge of our loved ones serving a great cause.

August 19, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  17. Terry

We can all be proud of this accomplishment in which we eliminated a tyrant and brought freedom to an entire country. It speaks volumes of the integrity of the United States to think that even though Iraq is in a part of the world that traditionally holds no love of Americans, we know that freedom is something everyone deserves and we are willing to make the sacrifice to bring that freedom to everyone. Maybe we can now understand the courage President Bush displayed to bring this freedom and realize how important this conflict was to so many persecuted people. Can we now be allowed to display the banner "Mission Accomplished" or will we somehow find a way to give the undeserved credit to President Obama just because he happens to be in offce as the story ends..........

August 19, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  18. SSG. Jeffrey L. Livers U.S. Army Retired

I served in both Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom from 2004-2006. I feel that we did a lot to help the Iraqi people establish their freedom. It was very scary to be in the middle of a war everyday for 2 tours, but we had a job to do, and that was what kept us going. It was like hell right here on Earth. I returned home as a disabled veterean suffering from a traumatic brain injury (TBI) after an IED exploded on my Humvee. There were many times I didn't think I would make it home alive. Though I am proud that I served my country and helped those who could not help themselves, I regret that I must live with those images in my mind for the rest of my life. Until you have been there or know someone who has, it is almost impossible to fathom what the soldiers go through on a daily basis. My heart goes out to all the fallen soldiers and their loved ones they left behind. I lost two of my own close soldiers while I was serving in Iraq...this was very difficult to face. Many others were maimed and lost limbs leaving them crippled for the remainder of their days. I feel very lucky everyday that I made it through those two tours and am now back home with my family. If I had it to do all over again, I would. I still carry this war in my mind everyday....no matter how hard I try to let it go. I am glad to hear that some of the troops are coming home.....It's Time To End This War......We Have Done All We Can Do For the Iraqi People....We Establshed a Diplomatic Government for Them.......The Rest is Up To Them....They Must Continue Forward with What We Have Taught Them in Order for Their Government to Work.

August 19, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  19. john

upon leaving iraq 45 days ago, it was a surreal moment knowing that I will hopefully never have to step foot back into that country. i worked with the local police and government and it has made massive strides in a fragile atmosphere where citizens are still seeking basic needs. im just glad to know that the time has finally come where soldiers, sailors and airmen can let out a sigh of relief to know a little bit more of their precious time can now be with their families.

August 19, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  20. Shelly

I watched Josh Lev's stats on Iraq today and was wondering if he could do a comparison of Iraq before the war and Iraq now with regard to all the areas he highlighted – health, electricity, health care, etc.

August 19, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  21. Ian Grant

Your piece on the Iraq war skillfully avoided the cost – Over 4,000 American lives, over 35,000 Americans maimed for life, either physically or mentally or both, over 100,000 civilian deaths and the $ cost -hundreds of billions of dollars! For what?

August 19, 2010 at 9:33 am |
  22. Fred

Thanks to those who have served so bravely. And you, too, the journalists who have covered the conflict firsthand – the journal idea was really neat – at their own peril. I don't feel worthy to have my words share the same page as these veterans and the others ( abnovementioned ) who have risked their lives. God bless you. And thank you again so very, very much.

August 19, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  23. Dave

Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction and no involment in 9/11. There was no reason to invade Iraq. U.S military involment in Iraq killed and injured 100's of thousands. It cost billions that could have been spent to solve the probems we have here at home. It distabilised the middle eastern power balance an led to the acendency of a hostile Iran. The war in Irag further radicalized Islamic terrorists. Sadam was not hostile to the U.S. Sadam was despot, but it was the responsibility of the Iraqi people to remove him from power.

August 19, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  24. Rina

For perspective on how much time has passed... I came home from the hospital with a newborn to see the news that we invaded Iraq. Yesterday, she started second grade. Obviously much has happened both abroad and at home since the first days of the war.

August 19, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  25. Samantha

It is wonderful to know some of our troops are coming home. I know their families are ecstatic. However, we need to remember the troops who are still in Iraq, including my fiance. They will likely face lots of changes in the coming weeks. Please don't forget them.

August 19, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  26. Joe

It is the epitome of hypocrisy for President Obama to claim any responsibility for combat troops leaving Iraq. The withdrawal is a direct result of the troop surge. A surge, that then senator Obama vehemently opposed, voted against and said would not work.

August 19, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  27. Samuel

Kyra, I am enjoying watching the history of our war in Iraq. Number one, my concern is for the people who were killed from the many groups and countries. You are showing a lot of statistics about the war.I would like to know much money the U.S. has spent fighting the war.Monies that could have provided Universal Health care,improved roads and bridges,repair our ragged railroad system and we could have our budget under control,have been diverted to a region that hates our country. Again, how much money year by year has the U.S. spent fighting in Iraq. $$$$$$$$$$

August 19, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  28. SGT Richard Robinson

I have been watching the news for the past few days and following the pullout of the last "combat troops". It has been moving for sure, and rightfully so the men and women that have served deserve a lot of credit. I am on my 3rd tour in Iraq. I am hoping that people will remember that though some of the troops have gone home, there still remains a large number of men and women that are fighting the fight here. We will be here until next summer and we are still running missions. The dangers here are just as sever as they have ever been. In fact due to the fact that we are running on the streets with no combat troops it is in my mind even more dangerous. Just don't want people to forget or loose sight of the fact that we still remain in Iraq and that we still have men and women in harms way. Thank you for listening and thank you for your support.

August 19, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  29. Arne Langsetmo

You misstate the opposition to the Iraq war, and you still don't admit your gross culpability in the lead-up to this unneccessary and sanguinary war.

Opposition to the war was based primarily on the lack of a threat from WMD. Inspections were showing that there were no such things, but the U.S. (and you, CNN) wouldn't listen. For those that were listening, we knew it was a mistake. Then there was the fact that the U.N. refused to sanction such a war. The possibility of anarchy and an insurgency was another prudential reason not to attack such country in an offensive war; this was also predictable and in fact I predicted it very early on, while the war was looking like a cakewalk.

You at CNN and the other media acted as conduits - stenographers - for the misinformation that the Bush administration used to drum up support for this war. You failed in your job (as you're failing now) of digging in to the story and presenting actual facts.

For this, over 4000 U.S. soldeirs (and many, many times more Iraqis) lost their lives. You should be ashamed, and you should apologize (as the N.Y. Times did half-heartedly for their role in just one of the many failures there).

August 19, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  30. Dallas

I served 2 tours in Iraq, 2004 – 2005 as an Army Specialist and then again in 2008 – 2009 as an Army Staff Sergeant. Both where totally different type of missions. I'm proud of the service that I had done there in Iraq. I had met and conversed with alot of Iraqi Civilians, Army and Police, most of which where glad that we where there to help them and some hated to see us leave. I only hope and pray that the new Iraqi government will succeed and we don't have to go back there to clean up there mess again. Thanks to all those that I served with and remember those that we lost! God Bless America!

August 19, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  31. Sergeant First Class Shawn Hayes

I started this war off in 2003 with 4th Infantry Division, and now I will complete it with 1st Cavalry Division in 2010. I am extremely happy to hear this news as I have been there in Iraq three times and will finally see an end to this war. Thank god, I'm tired....

August 19, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  32. Mad Max

Please read the whole piece before you judge me on the first couple of sentences.

This war was not nessasary we had no business being there, but yet our Government started planning and setting up this incursion into Iraq. Long before it ever made a headline in our country around 1987 when during those years the mission within the US military was focused in the European region of the world. yes we have always interfered in the middle east however we never really waged an all out campaign untill Op Iraq Freedom and ops Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Research the training schedules of the 3rd infantry divison and others during those years 87, 88, 89 you will see increased rotations to a place called Ft. Irwin, CA. it is called NTC its primary purpose is for Desert training and warfare for land and air forces of the US military.our Government knew then that we would be in the middle east WMD's which I might add were never found was just the plausable excuse the Government need to to make going over there in such a large force justifyable. remember those photos of Saddams money the troops found pallets of it all US currency what ever happened to that? and how do you come into a mans country his homeland and flush him out in such a rapid fashion, and in a matter of days defeated a massive army these are all questions most Americans forget. I remember because I served not during that time but in the 80's
    and I have great respect for the solders that gave there lives and the ones that are still putting there lives on the line for our great Nation. Our Nation needs to thank the men and woman in uniform by not finding excuses for war but to find more excuses to make peace. It may not bolster the economy or line the pockets in corp america but it will keep our solders alive so when and if a real threat does come, our solders will have a real purpose and not give there lives in vain . Case in point WWII

August 19, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  33. In Baghdad

Your piece on the unit arriving in Kuwait and the fact that you stated "the last combat troops in Iraq have left" is a joke. The coverage on this unit made it seems as if the War was over, again, false information. I guess all the combat vehicles and thousands of troops I see everyday are a mirage. Note sure what political gains were behind this piece but all and all, its false propaganda. Soldiers are still losing their lives, getting blown up by IED's and facing dangerous encounters on a daily basis. Yes, there is a drawdown in effect but trust me, it's far from over.

August 19, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  34. gary blahut

Kyra, Is the pullout another Korea, Viet Nam or just a repeat of the gulf war????? We have not won a war or excuse me, conflict since WW2, as the American soldier has to follow rules of engagement that no other country follows. WW1 and WW2 we did what was necessary to win and to make those countries free, remember the two big ones in Japan. Since Korea we follow these rules of engagement, lose young lives and scar many young minds, for what? to give back what was taken? Let the american soldier, Marine and Sailor, Air Force do the job they were trained to do and the conflict will soon be over for good. USMC, 1961 thru 1966.

August 19, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  35. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Our troops are coming home to join the troops of the unemployed this is were our country should put them first in line for jobs they had the guts to go to war to protect our freedom to have jobs .

August 19, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  36. John

I served proudly in Iraq back in 2004 with the Navy Seabees. I have tremendous respect for our Nations military, but I have little or no respect for the former political leaders and architects of this war , with their prefabricated claims and distortions of the truth of WMD , which directly/indirectly cost the lives of over 4,000 of our servicemen and women and will cost this Nation financially for years to come.I am so happy to see our troops come home!

August 19, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  37. Mark Nixon

I watched the 10am Newsroom report on this and was thoroughly disgusted. For starters, the word "war" needs to stop being used. Wars are declared, two-sided conflicts. This was a pre-emptive attack and invasion for regime change to ease globalization, period. Big difference people. The USA has no problem doing big business with two of the most dispicable countries on Earth, those being China and Saudi Arabi, but melts Iraq into an ashtray because the same Hussein you built up will not play ball with the global agenda. Do I like Hussein? Of course not; he was a scumbag just like Bush and most world leaders are.

And you have the ignorance or the gall to make that huge leap still in your story...."....the day we were attacked by those terrorists". Iraq had no connection with 9-11 whatsoever, so you're no better than a politician, politicizing and attaching fake eneregy and emotion, rallying people into accepting and celebrating the slaughter. Such sneaky attempts at thought control like that are heinous crimes on a blinded public. You were dishonest and flat wrong in your words. And Kyra, you mentioned "how the terrorists kept playing unfairly" during the war. Unfairly? A group of people with no air force, little organized army, being attacked and invaded on their soil, and you point a finger? That is literally delusion. But it's not your kids, right? It's not your sister, right? It's not your mother having her legs blown off, right Kyra? So it's all good, right, Kyra? It's not your country's unmatched historical landmakrs being smashed by expensive war toys, right? And you get to make the rules on what's fair or unfair, right? I'm a registered nurse who enjoys helping people, but come to my neighbourhood to attack people I love and just watch what red-blooded male activity comes out of me.

Shame on you. Such low-level thought and presentation is why the mainstream media is dead.

Wake up people. It is indeed "us" vs "them". But the "us" is the people of the world, and the "them" are the elite sociopaths sending pawns off to fight their battles and secure trillion dollar deals. Wake up and stop being children. You're being played. The human species is doomed if we never see the real enemies.

August 19, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  38. Michael Armstrong Sr.

@ Mark Not all of America shares your views and no one ever said that war was fair but our people were killed and Iraq had dirty hands from Kuwait along from making friends with the enemy we upgraded our mission to kill two birds with one stone .

August 19, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  39. Guillermo Flores

I was so pleased to see the videos of our boys leaving Iraq . MY SON IS STILL THERE so i called him to see when he was leaving and he said dont believe the tv the 2ad is just one division and he had just returned from a mission and if combat was over some one shoukd count his spent shells

August 19, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  40. SGT Richard Robinson

Everyone keeps saying " So happy to see our troops come home" .... troops are coming home from Iraq every month, and troops are still arriving here. Our unit will be here until next June, running missions. Where were all these " So glad the troops are coming home" back when I came home June 2009?
    We still have 50,000 troops here in theater... Keep that in mind please. There are still many many troops, men and women, that need support and I hope that people don't lose sight of that. There are still soldiers in a lot of danger here on their continued missions. Just now the support that was once here with the "Combat Troops" , as they have been named, is gone and we run the streets here without it. Will there be a " Welcome Home " when the rest of the troops come home over the course of the next two + years?? I hope so, or will they be forgotten??

August 19, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  41. Michael Armstrong Sr.

@ Sgt. Robinson first of all thank you your leadership and devotion to yours and mine country but you are right they are not all home but it is a big leap forward's at least we can all see the door now .

August 19, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  42. Mr. Eister

It only took TWENTY years to leave. The U.S. has been in Iraq that long thanks to Bush Sr. and we never left.

August 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  43. Mark Nixon

@Michael Armstrong Sr Dirty hands from Kuwait 20 years ago? I don't understand the point. Every country on Earth has dirty hands and doesn't get invaded for it.

Understand, my comments have nothing to do with disrespecting those in uniform, but quite the opposite. I'm saying they're pawns being sent to the slaughter. Let these chicken-hawk politicians go fight their own fake wars. They can send their own children, ruin their own lives. You know when I'd fight a war? When an enemy actually landed on the soil of my country with an actual military, and started killing people. That's a worthy war that makes sense. This pre-emptive policing of the world is nothing but the military industrial complex. Big business. Please wake up to this.

August 20, 2010 at 5:45 am |
  44. Mike in Ashburn, VA

It's about time the U.S. combat forces pull out of Iraq. Now lets see if the Iraqi's actually have enough backbone to take on the initiative and pull the responsibility of providing security for their country on their own. Or will they keep playing their old game of claiming their forces are not ready, as an excuse t...o continue having the U.S and other coalition forces do their job for them. I saw a post elsewhere that the top Iraqi general says his troops will not be ready until 2020. Sounds to me like he is just trying to wiggle his way out of the responsibility. I agree with another post, which said if we were to stay until 2020, the Iraqi generals would then say they won't be ready until 2030. Imagine that. It's time to hand Iraqis a dictionary to look up the words responsibility and initiative and learn it.

August 20, 2010 at 7:50 am |
  45. army wife

where are the troops we are all worried?? some of us last heard from our husbands early sunday morning and still no word? my husband told me he was in kuwait sunday morning my time (central) but it is now tuesday and none of the soldiers have called or emailed whats going on??

August 24, 2010 at 4:41 am |