Today on CNN Newsroom

August 26th, 2010
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Buried alive with no porta potties its gotta really smell bad down there they could at least send a hose down there to suck up the dirt to make there space bigger it sounds like death may be a better option .

August 26, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  2. Doug Oros

Has anyone thought to send down ipods loaded with movies or tv shows to the miners?

August 26, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  3. Stacy Peterson

iPods, books, magazines, newspapers (minus any articles about the trapped miners), anything to keep these poor people going. Just tragic. I was thinking the same thing as Michael. How are they going to the bathroom? The waste from that alone has to be making some of them sick. What about pillows and blankets? those can surely be squeezed down the hole right? I can't remember how wide the hole was. I feel so bad for these miners. I wish there was more I could do.

August 26, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  4. Michael Armstrong Sr.

I really feel sorry for those miners dosnt America have equipment that can reach them faster .

August 26, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  5. Tamera Karsten

I love to watch CNN. I would like to hear more about the silver platter that was handed to George W Bush when he took office . He was so thoughtful and considerate when he handed President Obama a paper plate when he took office.

August 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  6. Rick Lawhon

Great reporting. Too bad we only hear about countries like Chile when there is a catastrophe. I also wish the anchors would pronounce the name of the country properly. I am hearing chee-LAY. The emphasis should be on the first syllable CHEE-lay. Thanks for your excellent coverage.

August 27, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  7. m i

Good to show the space the 33 miners need to survive in. But did you have to joke during the presentation of this very sad situation?

August 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  8. Cinco Jotas

Strange, the Chilean national press is reporting that, although the main shelter is only 530 sq feet, the trapped miners have access to perhaps as much as a half a mile of tunnel.

Dont' tell me that CNN has sensationalized an already difficult situation.

August 28, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  9. Ronaldo

Chili has their act together and takes care of their own. Can't say that about many countries, including our own.

August 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  10. Jill Christianson

Hello,

I was just watching your video of the small space the miners are experiencing. While what you show is true, it doesn't give the whole picture. I live in Chile. We read the Chilean newspapers. There is a door on the refuge where they can go out and come in. They can walk in some of the tunnels. Their "bathroom" is a specified area in one of the tunnels. They don't all sleep in that confined space. So, really, it isn't as confined and restricted as your video shows.

August 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
  11. Jill Christianson

Another comment:

My friend was just reading aloud from a Chilean newspaper that says that they use one of the several vehicles that are down there in some of the tunnels to go to where the bathroom is.

Yes, they are planning on sending down a package to each miner...it includes a MP3 and I don't what more, but yes, they are doing all they can to keep them occupied and cared for.

The newspaper El Mercurio has excellent coverage of the miners' day by day experience.

They are researching all options to see if there is any way to get them out faster.

Both NASA and the Chilean Navy are involved in how to keep men in a reduced area healthy both bodily and mentally.

August 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  12. Jean, Toronto

I am praying for the miners that they get out of there alive and healthy. I pray too that God will cover them with His mantle of protection and give them the perseverance and patience to cope until they are rescued.
    I do hope all others all over the world who are aware of this dilemma in which they are in will do likewise. God hears those prayers.
    I love to hear how they are conducting themselves with the help of an elderly, prayerful leader. This is great encouragement for them. Also giving the food first to the those who are older. This is a true godly spirit of Christianity and loving act.
    Their families are praying too. God is loving, good and merciful.

September 1, 2010 at 12:07 pm |