Today on CNN Newsroom

September 2nd, 2010

The Epitome of Mission Possible: Liz Murray

Homeless to Harvard. She is a made for TV movie, a book, a website...and it's all real. Liz Murray is a remarkable woman who could have just quit.  She spent a little time with us today and we were lucky to have her. You can learn all about her here.

She's got a new mission now, trying to feed children who go to school hungry. She's taking her success and creating opportunities for others. She calls it Blessings in a Backpack. You can buy her new book and you can learn all about this project here.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors • Mission Possible
  1. Donna4843

Thxs for having the gal who was homeless going to Harvard. I will check into her book,"Breaking Night" and Backpack food help for America's hungry children.

September 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  2. Cristina J.

She is a great inspiration and demonstration of courage. Please post the interview.

Cristina.

September 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  3. Julie D

I can't seem to find the name of the person with whom Ali was speaking about the value of early childhood education. Children can learn early and it can lay a good foundation for success. But institutionalized preschool which would be like our current overly crowded public schools is preposterous. Children need a secure loving environment to learn and grown. I cannot imagine taking extremely immature preschoolers and requiring all-day preschool with 20 other very individual youngsters and expecting equal opportunity for grow and development. The public schools cannot provide that equality now. Why would they be able to do that at the young age 3 ? Equality in preschool to get equal success as an adult is nice idea but it is definitely not a reality. Mandatory preschool is just going to make a lot of unhappy 3 years old, and lead possibly maladjusted youth.

September 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  4. Heather Shepherd

I am a program coordinator for the Pathways to Engineering program at Zane State College and Mid East Career Center in SE Ohio. I have the privilege of working with high school students who have competed for the honor of a place in our program. PTE offers the opportunity to spend the last 2 years of high school earning an Associates Degree in Technological Studies.
    Please contact the marketing office at Zane State. We are so proud of this program!
    We bring in so many gifted students. We're thrilled to find and nurture the talent of our area.
    Our Marketing representative is camera-ready (FABULOUS), and well informed. We can't wait to see you.
    Heather Shepherd
    Engineering Technology
    High School Programs Coordinator

September 3, 2010 at 1:43 am |
  5. Bill S

Ali,
    I'm confused. I listen to you today, talking about the unemployment rate. Jobs were lost, but mostly due to the loss of government jobs, which I think I heard were census related. Overall, I understand that the private sector created jobs in August, indicating an upturn. Which is apparently reinforced by today's DOW.

But now, I listen to Wolf Blitzer's show and it's all woe is me!! "We've lost more jobs in August...the economy is doomed." (forgive my quotes, which are actually my paraphrasing) This reporting is apparently, totally ignoring what you had reported earlier in the day.

Am I missing something? (Very likely, yes)
    Bill S

September 3, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  6. Marty Karamally

She's bigger than known life – any life including stars in our and other Galaxies!

(Ali, is it possible to get the clip of your interview with her?)

Marty