Today on CNN Newsroom

October 21st, 2010

The Perceptions of Islam

Today on the show, we talked about the perceptions of Islam.  To check out the complete Pew Research Center study on the public perceptions of Islam, click here.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors
  1. Mary Kay

The solution to many of our country's problems, including perceptions of Islam, is education. People fear the unknown, and I'll add to that, people fear learning. I see it every day here in the Midwest. They not only criticize people they don't understand, they criticize the institutions that provide understanding through knowledge. And these are the voters who listen to politicians who claim to be "just like you and me."

October 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  2. Jones Manner

Hello, I appreciate the discussion concerning Islam.

I have studied Islam for many years and could only conclude it is truly a violent religion after reading the Koran.
    Why doesn't CNN just encourage people to read the Koran and decide for themselves.

I find your "researchers" are somewhat vague and unintelligent.

Regards.

October 21, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  3. Joan

I am over 65 and only a high school education BUT I am not stupid.

I am able to make a decision (an intelligent one) about islam. I can also read books (which gives me some insight on islam, good or bad. It is sad that when someone makes a negative remark about being afraid to fly when they seem someone dressed in islam clothing that person is fired. I am with him. Why are we not able to say how we feel. This is America, right. Enough about Islam. I am tired of hearing about how badly they are treated.

Enough is enough. And again I am not stupid.

October 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  4. Ellen

When you refer to this story and Juan Williams comments, anyone with journalistic integrity should include all of his comments, not snippets that work for your idea of a story.... The two paragraphs below are copied directly from an NPR article on their website ,and whether or not you agree with the firing of Juan Williams or his comments, it is your responsibility to put his comments in perspective. How am I suppose to view you as a credible source of news?

"Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

Williams also warned O'Reilly against blaming all Muslims for "extremists," saying Christians shouldn't be blamed for Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh.

October 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  5. joanne d.

can't believe juan williams has been fired by NPR mucky mucks. For god's sakes he simply expressed what many of us, liberal or conservative, christian, jewish or muslim feel when we board that plane. After all that's what the terrist want, peope to be scarred and guess what so far it's working. joanne

October 21, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  6. David

Islam is truly a violent religion. Look at the actions of Muslims and read the Quran and how it teaches them to convert and kill people.

October 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  7. KM

In the 1960's and beyond, had Chet Huntley or David Brinkley or Walter Cronkite or Barbara Walters made a comment that " 'I get worried. I get nervous' when I get on a plane and see African Americans," I suspect that his/her career would have ended at that point. Journalist are journalists, not pundits. Prejudicial opinions have no place in the public domain if the integrity of journalism is to be upheld.

October 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm |
  8. ken

I think if most americans truely search the history of Islam in america particularly they will find a long prosperous history. Today there is politics that are at the root of most social issues and agendas locally , nationally and globally. The actions of a few will be assigned to a religion, and will most affect the purety of a religion like christians, jews, muslims, etc. The political desire to lable actions and assigning the political responses to the religion my cause confusion as to the the religion and the politics. To label any religion as bad, is a political agenda which feeds on the ignorance of those that tie their emotions to hate. That is unfortunate.

October 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  9. ken

ok, in all fairlness all religions have stated in their history wars and violence. Islam, judiasm, Chrisianity have all risen from wars and some violent historical acts. That does not make the purpose of the religion deemed violent only. We should not forget the human factor of these religions is to better the human experieice. We are at war today for the idea of Democracy.

October 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  10. Sheila Hazel

Muslims have been in this country for years and they were not a target of fear, maybe curiosity. However when people who identify them selves as muslims fly destroy a major American landmark what do people expect? The catholic church has done so much good in the world, but when children were abused and the church officials covered it up,now people are very careful to limit how much access their pastor have to their kids. We have relativlikes and close friends who are priest and they understand why this is. Lots of stereotypes are based on facts, the more high profile the facts the more fixed the stereotype. So Muslims join the club this is American and everyone gets their turn. I am African American my nephew was a well respected police officer NYPD and he was sure not to dress like a thug or he could be shot by one of his fellow officers. Unfortunately he died while on duty but fortunately it was of natural causes. We must admit that some of our own people are the ones that put the negative light on the whole group and we must work on that from within. Blaming people's reaction is not going to help our cause.. Lets all look into our collective mirrors and do some introspection.

October 23, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  11. Sheila Hazel

Please excuse errors that should be pastors(plural) and relatives, Sorry I failed typing,

October 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  12. Alton Donald

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who had been doing a little homework on this. And he actually bought me lunch due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending some time to discuss this subject here on your blog.

May 12, 2021 at 9:57 am |