Today on CNN Newsroom

November 5th, 2010

Monopoly Turns 75

From Producer Vish Mapara

Monopoly is celebrating a major milestone. The popular board game turns 75 today.  More than 275 million Monopoly board games have been sold worldwide. Passing go, getting out of jail free, and buying property have become an international phenomenon.

The game has now moved into the 21st century.  Hasbro partnered with Google for an online version of monopoly last year.  There are now about 1.5 million players registered for that.  The company also released an Apple iPhone application in February.

We want to know what you think.  What’s your favorite board game, and your favorite memory that goes along with it?  Leave your comments and Kyra Phillips will read some of your responses in the 10am ET hour of CNN Newsroom.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Tyler

Heroquest! So many adventures with one board!

November 5, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  2. Dingster

This is an awesome game! I now play the online HERE AND NOW version, but the original is still just as great!!

November 5, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  3. JC

My favorite board game is Pente. It's not well known, but when I was about 10 years old I played a table-full of grownups and won! 🙂

November 5, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  4. Amanda Turner

My favorite board game memory is playing Aggrivation and Uncle Wiggly with my grandmother. We would sit for hours playing games and she always let me win..I think. We would talk about anything and everything and she always listened to my problems and always had the right answer. She has been gone for 10years now and I still think about those times. Thanks for the opportunity to share my memories!!

November 5, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  5. richard balderston

Although Monopoly is fun to play, at times it gets a little one sided. My favorite games to play have been Sorry and Parchesi. These games make it a little easier to play with my younger grandchildren

November 5, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  6. P. J.

My friends and I grew up when video games were the norm but, nothing beat the board game Stratego. We could play that game for hours.

November 5, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  7. Aaron Kasprzak

My favorite board game memory was playing backgammon with my father and brother as a kid. He was notoriously competitive and adamantly refused to let us even have a chance at winning. We would whine and complain and cry, but as I grew up I realized how talented I became at the game. And now all of my friends and family, refuse to play with me because they say "I never seem to lose" and that I'm "too good". Thank you Dad for teaching me the competitive spirit, not only in games but in life.

November 5, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  8. Frank

I loved Video Village. We had so much fun as kids with the fantacy of winning all those prizes. It was made into aTV show but not many people remember it. I wish it were back on or I could find the game to play with all my nieces and nephews. I am 57 years young and still love that game.

November 5, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  9. Kenny

My favorite board game is definitely LIFE because my parents used it to secretly teach us what life could be like. Thanks mom and dad!

November 5, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  10. mike valley city ohio

my favorite game would be the quija board (spelled right I do not know) maybe we can make some of the past politicans come back to life and smack some of the now politicians in the head so they can fix this economy!!

November 5, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  11. Ruby Cheesman

Love Monopoly...we have 6 different versions. Please remind your viewers that Sat Nov 13th is National Gaming Day. Thousands of libraries across the nation will be hosting Gamiing Day activities with free playing of lots of different board games....great for families! So visit your local library and see what they have going on. (Sorry, as a librarian I just couldn't resist the free publicity!)

November 5, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  12. George Murphey

OMG - It's still made in the USA!!!! WAY TO GO HASBRO!!!

November 5, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  13. Manse James

Absolutely my favourite game was and still is RISK. It's about world domination, but really it's about you against the world. How far can you go? What can you achieve in this board game and ultimately life. I'm a real risk taker so I usually go for way too big a gamble and lose. Good thing it's only a game.

November 5, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  14. Marsha

Wow, this brings back memories. I.m 64 years old, and I've played Monopoly many many times with family and friends over the years. The one time that sticks out in my mind the most vividly was 52 years ago. My family was spending the summer at the lake and we had really good friends next door to us. They had a son my age and we were both very competitive. We played a game of Monopoly that lasted 4 1/2 days. We stopped only to eat and sleep, and would tip a cardboard box over it at night so as not to have it disturbed. I eventually lost, but bad as my memory tends to be these days, I can still name every property on the board, its price,and its rent!

November 5, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  15. MARY LISA BORGSTADT

I had to laguh out loud when I fondly though about my family"s board games during Holliday get togethers. Invariably, we begin a game of RISK and the jockeying for soldiers, war and countries begins. Without fail, someone (almost ALWAYS either my daughter or me) tries to protedt another player so no one 'gets hurt or has to drop out!! Tthe last memorable game was when my daughter did not/would not "attack" her Dad or he'd have been defeated. The game went on a while longer and, "surprise," her Dad had amassed a huge army and attacked her! Needless to say .... the game pretty much ended then because feelings were hurt!! We keep telling eachother, "There's no cring when playing RISK," but no one listens. Will be be playing RISK again this Thanksgiving??? An absolute yes!!! It's just as important as the turkey, dreessing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie!!!!Thanks!!
    MARY Lisa
    vprsdt

November 5, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  16. Mike Ellis

I think Monopoly is a great game but I would have to agree with P.J. about Stratego on that one. I would play my dad when I was little all the time.

November 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
  17. SmigglyGuBoy

MONOPOLY is awesome! I just bought the new one REVOLUTION with songs that I'm playing with my kids. Thanks, Hasbro!! 🙂

November 5, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
  18. Delaware Bulletin

Wow! I loved this Game when I was young, but I think it needs to be updated with a card that says "Real-estate bubble crash lose 50,000 "

November 7, 2010 at 6:04 pm |