Today on CNN Newsroom

November 23rd, 2010

24 Hours Till Opt Out Day

We are less than 24 hours away from what has been deemed national opt out day. With a daunting travel forecast across the country tomorrow tempers could flare as patience will be short and lines will be long. Those who are participating in opt out day could cause long lines and delays in security lines causing some to miss flights. People who are flying Delta might be able to avoid the long lines and lengthy delays.Delta will be giving refunds to those who wish not to deal with the TSA and the new security procedures on an individual basis.

Have you encountered long security lines and been subject to a pat down or additional screening procedures during your travels this week? Have you changed your travel plans because of the TSA?

We want to hear from you! Kyra Phillips will read some of your responses during the 10 o’clock hour.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Carol Brown

We're flying to Costa Rica for a month this week, and I'm not at all concerned with the scans or a pat-down. I want to be safe, and a trip to Paradise is worth it!

November 23, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  2. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Since 9-11 how many white people have tried to blow up a plane and how many baby's have been caught packing C-4 in there pampers T.S.A. is searching people that are not even close to being terrorist all in the name of being politically correct lets stop making ourselves look like fool's and start profiling .

November 23, 2010 at 9:24 am |
  3. Sally

Regarding the scans and pat downs: Come on people! As far as I know my body parts are the same as other women's. What's the big deal? I've been shopping at stores that have one big dressing room and saw lots of strange body shapes there. Why is getting a pat down a big deal? I feel sorry for the people who have to do the pat downs. Now THAT would creep me out.

November 23, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  4. Carolyn Cole

Kyra, I went through Atlanta and had no TSA issue. Went through like business as usual. What's the big deal??

November 23, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  5. Al

Unbelievable...get ppl USED to being assaulted and humiliated at the airport? If u get hit in the face every time u leave ur house....u will get used to it...eventually. But is it right and just? No. Ur looking for a needle in a haystack and violating every flyer's civil rights in order to try to find it. How many hijack/bomb plots on an airplane have origiinated within the US...other than 911? None. U have concede ur personal rights to the terrorist boogey man. Osama bin laden has won. What a shame.

November 23, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  6. Scott R.

Do Americans really want less security on airplanes? I just flew west for a funeral and found TSA to be professional and efficient. By fighting the system, one causes more delays and consequently more problems with air travel. If one is bothered by the new security measures, don't fly.

On the other hand, I drove 12 hours from Iowa to Tennessee – it was more comfortable than the sardine can I flew in to get there.

November 23, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  7. Natalie

Hi Kyra,
    I am constantly amazed at the double standard of the American public. We want smaller government but we want the government to take care of us. We want to be safe while flying but we do not want to be inconvenienced. I grew up in Europe, where these pat-downs have been in place for many years and guess what: No one complains! I am sure the first time a terrorist would manage to cause harm to a plane and the passengers on board, all the folks complaining now would wonder why nothing was done to stop that person. The TSA folks are doing what they can to keep us safe and although no system will ever be perfect, it is all we have at the moment.

November 23, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  8. Yaakov

I have had 4 hip replacements, with pins in the other hip, usually traveling with a brace. I have complained for over a year about invasive pat down. (Please do not read on tv if you use my name. I am male, molested by a male as a youth. Do you have any idea what happens when another male touches, rubs, etc., my private ares???)

On my last trip – about 8 flights this year – I was scanned AND groped.

My 82y-o Mom, while sitting in her wheel chair, had her worn under ware held up in the air and shaken.

TSA is NOT sensitive, especially to people with special needs.

November 23, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  9. Victoria Schmidt

TSA: I have changed my plans and will NOT be traveling by air because of the TSA scanners and "enhanced" pat downs. I have medical conditions which make the scanners impossible, and as a former victim of sexual abuse, I find the "enhanced" pat downs nothing more than sexual assault.

They don't do this in Isreal, and they KNOW about security. Why does the USA always look for the "easiest" way out instead of the "right" way to do security?

I believe there are viable alternatives to these invasive procedures. Remember, the "underwear bomber" was not successful...because of passenger vigilance.

November 23, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  10. Larry Teeh

We had plans to fly over the holiday and had prepurchased a nonrefundable ticket from a web based travel site. My wife, a proper Southern lady and cancer survivor chose to stay home and lose the money rather than face a 4th admendment violation and groping at the hands of strangers whose qualifications, backgrounds, and even identity are hidden.

November 23, 2010 at 9:33 am |
  11. jack watson

Kyra,

Last week at the Detroit airport after a whole body scan, I was called aside for a pat-down of my right leg. No big deal. Let these people do their work!

Jack Watson, Laingsburg, MI

November 23, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  12. matt

first of all i should say that i do not fly at all anymore. as a matter of fact i do not go to alot of public places anymore because when you do you are subject to search. and thanx to repubs and their scare monger tactics you all have allowed them to invade our privacy. after the first year of the patriot act there were about 4 thousand arrests from illegal taps guised under the patriot act. not one of them for terrorism. and soon on behalf of the insurance moguls the repubs will be pushing laws telling us what to eat. as a matter of fact they already have begun. look at the happy meal ruling in california. alot of schools do not allow certain items in a lunch a child can bring to school. try pulling this stuff in the sixties! what has happened to you all. have you turned into a bunch of mindless cattle. does anyone not see how wrong this is to the united states way of life? we need to push back and say no more. we need the protests and civil disobediance. boycotts are the only thing corporate america and their repub cronys understand because it hits them in the wallet, the only thing that matters to them! so i say stop flying and see how fast they drop their principles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 23, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  13. Michelle

I was chosen for a pat down at the airport in San Juan this month. I just wanted to comment that the TSA employee was the utmost professional. She talked me through everything, and confirmed that i understood what was happening. I chose to have it done in the public area, and i did not feel in any way violated. I wish i knew who she was so that i could compliment her, especially after everything i am seeing on the news. Sorry, people, this is the world we live in – Id rather be scanned and patted down than get on a plane, and find out at 30,000 ft, that the person 3 rows in front of me is wearing explosives.

November 23, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  14. matt

and to those of you who say it is needed i say fine but we have the right to boycott. lets see who wins!!!!!!

November 23, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  15. John WV

How is it that we Americans think we can slaughter civilians, soldiers and about anyone else in their own homelands and not suffer retaliation in our homeland? Justification for our continuing adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan is doubtful at best. With Israel, we are enabling slaughter for ethnic cleansing, racial, religious and territorial conquest in violation of UN Resolutions. Yes, people out there want to kill us and will go about it however they can. Do you blame them?

November 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  16. Linda Kallish

I am a type 1 diabetic who wears an inpulin pump and a continuous glucose monitor that has a separate receiver. The TSA people kept telling me to go thru the scanners that it was okay for the equipment when I was told by the company that manufactures it not to do it. There needs to be communication between the TSA and the different pump and continuous glucose monitor companies as to what equipment can go thru what. Also it would be helpful if the insulin companies would post on their websites exactly what the consumers should do.

November 23, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  17. JackF

Kyra, just watched your comments and I am not a passenger but a officer at Newark Liberty Airport. I have worked for EWR/TSA for just about seven years. I am watching Mr. Sawyers discussion at the moment. What is not being discussed is weather or not Mr. Sawyer was offered a, "private screening". This is standard operating procedure and I find it hard to believe that it would have been overlooked especially in Mr. Sawyers case. This would have moved him to a location where the screening would have been or should have been out of public view. I want you to know that the cause for much of the passengers frustration is caused because we are just inadequately staffed. I can't speak for other airports but at EWR the work load far exceeds the officers. Many of the officers are working extreme hours of overtime on top of their normal 8-10 hour shift. The rule is they can not exceed 40hrs of overtime per week but given the work load this is not acceptable and shows in the way the passengers are treated. The officers are fatigued and not focused as a result. Due to the lack of adequate staffing officers are constantly moved from check point to check point or baggage node to check point to cover for the inadequate staffing so they are continuously under pressure and stress. It is appalling to me that the management of this airport condones and in fact promotes the overtime. This practice severely impacts the officers ability to do their job and jeopardizes security. It is a fact that this airport can not operate without officers working overtime on a regularly scheduled basis. If you use any of this information please do not use my name as I have already suffered from retaliation by the management. Thanks for your consideration.

November 23, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  18. James

A MATTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY
    Am I the only one who find it very strange that that anyone , especially fellow Americans would engage in creating such a massive state of chaos, confusion and dissension , especially considering the fact that each and every one of these security measure was implemented to counteract the terror threats that we all are face with? Threats that are both very real and deadly?? Have we forgotten the lessons of 911, the shoe bomber, as well s the recent attempts to use our Federal mail carriers to ship bomb? Why would we as American allow ourselves to be manipulated into participating or behaving in an manner that would in all actuality make it a great deal easier for them to kill, hurt and mane us and further cripple our already suffering economy? There must be a careful line drawn between that of exercising our rights to protest and that of under minding weakening and over throwing our own national security, especially in light of the fact that the only rel true winners are those who , as we speak, are planning to hurt us and our children..

November 23, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  19. AJ

How many of your rights are you willing to give up to methods that aren't proven?

The Israeli's live surrounding by hostile states, yet do not subject the masses to this sort of treatment, and still have a better record of safety than us.

Throwing money and technology at a problem is not always the answer, and I highly doubt these scanners will prove effective.

We are step away from full body cavity searches. Do you honestly think the TSA will balk from that if the next threat from terrorists is proven to be a body cavity bomb? Would you be fine with that in the name of safety?

Wouldn't we all be safer yet stripped naked and loaded into cargo holds?

Where is the line?

November 23, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  20. K.C.

Hi Kyra,

I was just wondering, why does everybody say that the flying public is the customer of TSA? Paul just said that on your TSA Agents: Who The Are segment. Last time I checked a customer was a person who purchases goods or services from another; buyer; patron. With that being said, a passenger is the customer of an airline now TSA. Also TSA are not law enforcement officials, LEO's are anybody who holds peace officer status...which TSA clearly never held. Security guards are not normally law enforcement officers, unless they have been granted powers to enforce particular laws, such as those accredited under a Community Safety Accreditation Scheme...which I doubt TSA has.

November 23, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  21. Stump

How about you (news media) stop perpetuating this issue? The TSA's job is flight safety, not your convenience...
    Air travel is a privilege... not a right.
    If the masses aren't complaining about the invasiveness of the security measures, you'll (News Media) will be asking "could more have been done to prevent this in-flight terror attack?" "Where was the TSA to search these people during their pass through security?"
    You will act incredulous, even though you have perpetuated and fanned the flames.
    24hr news media will be the destruction of our country.

November 23, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  22. jean

Does the TSA really think that this new enhanced xray or pat down will work? They only do it at 70 airports nationwide – widely known information. If I know that it means that the terrorists know it. The terrorists have already determined that they need to fly out of the smaller airports into the larger ones, thereby bypassing the intrusive screening. According to CNN reporters the terrorists adjust to procedure in 3 days.

The naysayers say that we got lucky with the "shoe bomber", the "underwear bomber" the "times square bomber" and the cargo bomb. Luck had nothing to do with those would be bombers being squelched. What works is if the people are vigilant on an everyday basis and report abnormal activity to the proper authorities. This government intrusion is only removing our rights to freedom and costing taxpayers big money. It will prove to not be effective.

We lose or freedom and the terrorists have won.

November 23, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  23. Stump

@jean: lose your freedom?... at the airport, where you CHOSE to buy a ticket offered by a company that provides transportation from pt A to pt B FOR A PROFIT?
    Lets just eliminate the TSA all together... we should all be FREE to board a plane with whatever we want to bring on board and I should sit where I want and bring all my bags to my seat with me.
    That would be the ULTIMATE way to show the world just how FREE we are in the USA!

November 23, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  24. James

MATTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY
    Am I the only one who find it very strange that that anyone , especially fellow Americans would engage in creating such a massive state of chaos, confusion and dissension , especially considering the fact that each and every one of these security measure was implemented to counteract the terror threats that we all are face with? Threats that are both very real and deadly?? Have we forgotten the lessons of 911, the shoe bomber, as well s the recent attempts to use our Federal mail carriers to ship bomb? Why would we as American allow ourselves to be manipulated into participating or behaving in an manner that would in all actuality make it a great deal easier for them to kill, hurt and mane us and further cripple our already suffering economy? There must be a careful line drawn between that of exercising our rights to protest and that of under minding weakening and over throwing our own national security, especially in light of the fact that the only real true winners are those who , as we speak, are planning to literally KILL us and our children What really get me is how these people can complain about feeling violated but at the very same time We have young men and women who are on the front lines, many of whom have gave their very life Instead of being here with their love ones, they are over there fighting and dying for all of us and its time for us to show just how very grateful to all of those who love ones will not be with them this Holiday Season and you do not do it by undermining our notional security and making it easier for terrorist to kill us. but simply by standing in support of our national security and and all of those who are fighting and dying for us...No one is asking you to die, just support and help out solders to help keep all of us safe and secure from being killed

November 23, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  25. AJ

So next year, when a body cavity bomb plot is detected, and the TSA decides body cavity searches are needed, I really wonder how many blind TSA supporters will start defending their right to intimately search everyone's body?

Is there a line? Where is it?

November 23, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  26. Linnae

This uprise against the scanners isn't about obscured nudity - it's about a complete, unabashed, unrelenting invasion of privacy by the government in the name of false security.

They bully you into the scanner by threatening even more invasive "pat downs", trying to force you to choose the lesser of two evils. That alone I find disgusting.

If a terrorist is will to blow him or herself up, they will have no problem with sticking a bag of explosive power in their rectum or vagina and neither the body scanner or pat down will detect that.

I am also horrified that some people think that submitting to this is being safe and patriotic and respecting what our soldiers are presently dieing for. They are dieing to supposedly protect FREEDOM and keep us safe from terrorism. But now it is our own government we should fear. When the scanners and pat downs fail us – and they will – what comes next in the name of security. Are you ready to carry your papers?

I am not flying for Thanksgiving, but I am flying for Christmas. And if called upon, I will neither submit to a body scan or pat down. I will make you in line wait and I will consume the TSAs time and resources. My family will mostly be there for Christmas next year. Unchecked, our civil liberties will not.

November 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  27. Paul K

National Opt put day will NOT make any difference other than to delay tons of travelers making it a reality for some to miss their flights (you don't really think the airlines are going to wait do you)? If people REALLY want to voice their discontent, then do not buy any future airline tickets. Once the ailrines see reduced travel and revenue due to the scanners and pat downs, they will be up in the TSA's business and have the process changed.

Flying used to be a fun way to get to your destination quickly but now with the ridiculous security measures and the increased fees one has to pay to bring luggage, etc., it is more fun and cost effective to drive.

By the way, when did the government decide it was OK to start denying US citizens their civli rights under the guise of security?

November 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  28. John Williams

I hope that TSA will revise its "Grab, Grope & Fondle" approach to airport screening!! TSA really needs to take lessons from the Israeli's on how to do airport security. It is BEHAVORIAL Profiling, not racial or religious profiling that we need. That does not violate the sexual assault laws or an individuals rights and is far more effective than groping and fondling people.

Get with it TSA!!

November 24, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  29. Sharon K. Coleman

The American public has a severe case of amnesia: the enhanced pat downs and scans at airports are in place for our SAFETY. Thank God we have not had any air disasters since 2001. I am certain that TSA procedures are a large part of the reason. I am a disabled passenger with metal implants who has experienced the enhanced pat downs for the last 8 years. Though not my favorite thing to do, I grin, bear it, and accept it as a necessary part of helping to keep me safe while I fly. (By the way – the TSA officers conducting my pat downs have always been courteous, professional, and very respectful.) In actuality, I'm looking forward to being scanned, as 8 years of pat downs tends to get a bit old, and my daughter, who has had to be responsible for unloading our carry-ons since the age of 4, I'm sure will also be glad. And to keep all things in perspective, both procedures are much preferable than the semi-strip search in a private room I received in the Paris airport in 1971.

November 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm |