Today on CNN Newsroom

December 3rd, 2010

Education Makeover W/ Dr. Steve Perry

Every parent I meet wants what's best for their kids. Whether I'm @ work or on the road, I find myself answering the "What should I do when my child..." The Education Makeover w/ Dr. Steve Perry sets out to answer this and so many other questions parents have.

One of the reactions to the show has been that these parents are educated, so how could they possibly need help parenting? The Education Makeover w/ Dr. Steve Perry confirms that ALL parents have questions and need help.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Bill

I had a problem with getting a teen out of bed for school. He had the added problem of having severe ADD. My solution was simple and effective. I told him the day before what I was going to do. The next morning, I gave him 2 warnings. The 3rd time, I squirted water in his face with a small squirt gun. After the next day it happened, when he heard the bathroom faucet run following 2 warnings, he jumped out of bed laughing. Problem solved.

December 4, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  2. Gordon Frazier Sr.

Steve your work is monumental! You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Please allow me, a Library Media Specialist, to prescribe with your positive influence a good book often. Information Literacy Skills!
    Again, your efforts are superb!! Drive On! If I may be of service, please don't hesitate.

December 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  3. maek gottlieb

I just watched your show and I was uplifted and inspired. I have 3 boys.11 15 and 16. They do not do well in school but a good hearted and decent boys. I am seperated and they have endured a great deal. I have NEVER done this but just hearing about some approaches was really helpful

December 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  4. Shirley Connally / Houston,Texas

I am a retired teacher/counselor/pastor and I have several questions and concerns I would like to discuss with Dr. Steve Perry. I am watching my granddaughter develop some very bad habits. She is in the 8th grade and I keep reminding her and her mother that improvements need to be made going into high school next year.

As I watched CNN today I saw my granddaughter in David Brodkowsky (forgive the spelling but I tried to go by sound). Her bedroom looks like David's, she does very little studying, even though she usually ends up with A's and B's and an occasional C on her report card (If she gets a C on her report card, her mother takes her cell phone from her until she improves the grade)...we bought note cards and an agenda at the beginning of the year for her assignments and for taking notes (I doubt if she ever uses these)...she thinks I was born in 1800 and my ideas are 1800, even though she knows I was an English teacher and counselor in the public school system...her mother tries to allow her to make almost all of her decisions...she stays up until 12 or 1 o.clock on school nights and until 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 o'clock on nonschool nights...I think this is enough to give you a picture, even though I could go on and on. Oh, I must mention the fact that she is very disobedient and will not do what we ask when she wants to, if at all. Her mother just ignores her when she refuses to do what she asks...I am completely in the dark as to what to do about her. I've tried talking to her about her attitude, about life, about the expectations of Christians... She says her goal is to go to Harvard and be an attorney. (To achieve this goal, she will have to make some very significantly changes...I try to tell her this indirectly by making suggestions which she ignores...) I'm at my "wit's end". I desperately need to communicate with Dr. Steve Perry.

December 4, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  5. Sable

I would like to see Dr. Perry help families, that are low income, or homeless, have less option than most parents.

December 4, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  6. Harriet Campbell

What do you do, when the schools are playing around with the childs IEP?

December 6, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  7. Susan Dineen

I listened to your program today and congratulate you on your efforts to encourage partents to prepare their children for school. My daughter and I recently launched ProductiveParenting.com, a website that provides parents with one fun and simple activity suggestion based on the birth date of their child. As an early childhood educator, mom of 3 and grandmother of 7, we need to encourage learning that begins at home. Productive Parenting introduces early learning in a fun and engaging way that uses materials usually found in the home. The activities are contributed by experts in early childhood education to prepare children for kindergarten and beyond and to strengthen the parent-child relationship.

December 6, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  8. Lori

I had a very traumatic time getting my daughter settled in to high school this year. She started 9th grade at a very large high school and the first day she called me from the bathroom crying. My daughter is very intelligent but painfully shy and cursed with a weight problem so she has a lot of anxiety about what other students think or might think of her. And at the high school they are doing something I hadn't heard of before, putting all the grades together in some classes, 9th graders in classes with 12th graders? She couldn't find her classes and would end up late and couldn't muster the courage to walk in late so she would hide in the bathroom and cry. It got to the point she just simply would not go no matter what I tried to do. She was assigned a special counselor that deals with kids that can't deal with their anxiety about school. We went back and forth for about a month, she didn't make any progress so the counselor referred her to an alternative high school that is much smaller and the class size isn't 30 it's between 8 and 10 students. About the end of October she finally got over her fear and has adjusted fantastic at this new school.

December 6, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  9. diane

education is the key to a great nation and people. Everyone can contribute to a child's education and until we recognize the importance of quality education our problems will continue on a downward spiral. Quality teachers is a necessity in the classroom and emphasis must be placed on hiring dedicated, passionate teachers who is truly interested in the advancement of our students. They are the future of the world. Failing to offer them quality education is cheating them out of opportunity.

January 5, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  10. herriet lapson

The notion that "grade level" means that all the students have the potential to succeed/ pass a class is erroneous by definition of the term. "Grade level" reflects the statistical mean of an age group sample derived from the bell shaped curve. There is a percentage by definition of the term that should meet with success. In order to communicate about success we need to create new term and definitions to express the successful growth process. Our generation should make this a high priority as we move forward in improving education. If the course is designed to meet the needs of the top forty percent of the student body and more than 40 percent are enrolled you can expect that percentage of students are not expected to meet with success. Therefore, improvement in our education system would not include the use of terminology that does not adequately communicate. IT IS TIME for our language to change at this level in order for us to remove this basic communication difficulty.

October 22, 2011 at 8:48 pm |